Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I like how we are effectively holding ourselves hostage in an abandoned farm's cellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
G

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
C, it has the best vantage points around and I'd like to revisit Plan Tomn if we get a clear shot. We should try to shoot down the tent without arrow-time then take another shot at the now-revealed Blighty King. I feel like one of our Mighty Arrows, with arrow-time, stands a decent shot of, if not outright killing, at least seriously inconveniencing the bastard. If we can force him to split, or retreat to the rear of his army, that's nearly as good as straight up icing him.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

Tomn posted:

You know, I like to think at this point that in a connected Bizzaro-world where Diog is running a CYOA featuring Tudiya, goons are even now furiously questioning Gareb about everything under the sun and every detail they can think of and arguing spiritedly amongst themselves about whether they should go save their crazy adopted cannibal son or if they should defend Zepath or what.

"He's our son! Look at all the good he's done with his...Balls. Unfortunate name, but still! He's pretty much cleared the countryside of of evil at this point. We have to go save him."

"We saw him eat rocks! He thinks he talks to his dog! He has our daughter shacking up with a hobo when he leaves town for months at a time, our favorite daughter! If I have to hear "Mercy is never Misplaced" one more time I'm going to scream. We cannot keep giving him second and third and fourth chances just because of who his father is!"

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Voting for:
C. There is a grove of olive trees south east beyond the city, atop a hill. We hid there.

Fruit trees were cool enough for Zepa, and they're cool enough for us. But take the dates up there because dates are pretty rad and might pair well with the olives.

Gotta have some snacks for the battle. :munch:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I am a liar.

I am too tired, sorry folks, our next (probably) action packed update... tomorrow!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Voting A, though C would also be okay. Either way we will have food for our Balls before the battle.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 19, 2014

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
G

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

I like waiting for Tudiya or an ideal moment during the battle, but never bottle yourself in a basement.

Dio, is the olive orchard hill high enough to see west toward Zepath or does Ibleam get in the way?
e:wrong preposition

Toughy fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 19, 2014

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Cornuto posted:

Voting for:
C. There is a grove of olive trees south east beyond the city, atop a hill. We hid there.

Fruit trees were cool enough for Zepa, and they're cool enough for us. But take the dates up there because dates are pretty rad and might pair well with the olives.

Gotta have some snacks for the battle. :munch:

This please don't lock us in a cellar to be burned alive, goons. TIA

sotary
Sep 11, 2001
C

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
Since Enkidel can sense where Nagari is, where is Gareb?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Dates? Why dates? What an unusual detail. And why olive trees on the hill? Damat is clearer as are some of the functional advantages and disadvantages of other places. These are the things that keep Team :spergin: awake at night.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Toughy posted:

I like waiting for Tudiya or an ideal moment during the battle, but never bottle yourself in a basement.

Dio, is the olive orchard hill high enough to see west toward Zepath or does Ibleam get in the way?
e:wrong preposition

It is elevated. The trees are thick enough that you can reasonably hide among them.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

rex monday posted:

Since Enkidel can sense where Nagari is, where is Gareb?
You do not know.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
dio: is there any equivalent of holy water in the el faith that we could anoint our arrows with?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
+1 for offering to el and annoit with holy water equivalent

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Cornuto posted:

dio: is there any equivalent of holy water in the el faith that we could anoint our arrows with?
Water? Not really. However, ashes from a sacrificial altar in a temple are said to be powerful. You may recall they were brought out the last time minotaurs attacked Zepath.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Changing my vote to C., but take the dates so goons don't get lonely.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think we chance making a sacrificial offer of whatever meats and fruits and veggies we have and using the ashes for blessings.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

RandomPauI posted:

I think we chance making a sacrificial offer of whatever meats and fruits and veggies we have and using the ashes for blessings.

Um. We've been on minimal rations this whole trip because we left the baggage behind. Or troops need to eat before the battle.

We should try to get a blessing, yeah. But not by burning our rations.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Voting is provisionally closed. I am going to try to do the update tonight. If I can't finish it in time, I will re-open voting.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I'd like to point out that I just changed my vote from A to C.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

You charge, headlong into the advancing army.

The Norcs, by happenstance, notice you, a ten foot tall black man with massive Presence, come a-charging with a multitude of men of Might and their common brethren. Some of them still happen to be stuffing dates into their mouths, maybe a few muttering prayers to their respective Melachim.

The Norcs prepare. And wait.

For this is not their battle. Their objective is right in front of them, and Dear Leader wanted this one personally. Dear Leader's slow, yet beloved younger brother was smashed to a pulp by this Creature in a cave not too far from here.

Dear Leader has waited quite a bit for his revenge. Dear Leader is ready.

The Tent unfurls.

Darkness.

You see it's face.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

close thread, begin denziroh 2.0

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Mike Gallego posted:

close thread, begin The Adventures of Team Herodile

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Mike Gallego posted:

close thread, begin The Adventures of Snarls, Super Dog

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Mike Gallego posted:

close thread, begin The Adventures of Snarls and Beaky.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am surprised that no one has yet noted that their leader is in tents. Really in tents.

someone had to

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bonus hole boy posted:

Mike Gallego posted:

close thread, begin The Adventures of Team Herodile

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You hide east of the city with your Balls and dig in. The hill is steep on all sides but the northern slope. It is easy for you and your Balls to conceal yourselves on that side of the hill. Your Balls rest, eat some olives and await the battle.

You peak over the top of the hill periodically and spy upon Ibleam. You have a good view of the city from here. The city is packed full of people, it seems that the people, it seems that the warning you sent, if not believed to be true, was at least responded to seriously.

The invaders have yet to show and so, you wait.

Your Balls get some much needed rest that night.

The day ahead, you spy upon Ibleam as best you can. Men continue to move through the city streets, drilling, preparing for the battle. You see the king of Ibleam more than once. You also see your Mighty Son Nahari, drilling with others. He does not appear to be a prisoner.

The sun creeps across the sky. Your Balls joke with each other about who shall slay more of the beasts in the battle ahead. Their expectations are high, they expect a glorious victory over the forces of Fare, for with you, their great leader, how can they fail?

The sun sets. You hear the horns and the drums and the marching of the invaders, they are almost here.

"Fare! Fare! Fare Ha Melakaht Mokt!
Fare Gadol! Fare Zabol! Fare Ha Melakaht Mokt!
Fare! Fare! Fare Ha...
"

Several hours after dusk... they invaders arrive. You watch as they march towards the city. Even at night, you see a tent raised still, nine Norcs carry tent poles, near the very front of their line. You do not see their leader, he must still be within. The invaders carry not a single torch, not so much as a flicker of flame. Your vision in the dark is excellent, this does not present much in the way of difficulty for you and the men of Ibleam seem to be able to tell where they are clear enough, if nothing else, from all of the noise they make. The moon is gone this night, only the stars light the field. Each Norc wears armor made of silver. Their weapons vary. Many favor spears and shields, in fact the first several ranks have nothing but them, though the shields are larger than the sort used by men, large and square. Ranks. They form neat and orderly ranks, just as neat as those of the men of Ibleam across the way... after the first few ranks, the weapons vary, large two handed swords seem popular. Every Norc you see has three javelins on their back as well.

The weapons of the minotaurs are brutish and simplistic, mostly made of wood and stone, clubs and axes. Here and there you see a silver two handed sword, probably from the Norcs, but only a handful.

The men stationed at the western most bridge put it aflame, the army of Ibleam stands between the two remaining bridges, ready to meet their foe at either or both. You see the King of Ibleam, King Ahaz at the front of his people, his Mighty Men beside him. You see your Mighty Son Nahari in the line, in the first row, though not near the Mighty Men of Ibleam, he seems to be among the other men of Bloodedness of the city.

The men of Ibleam are in neat and fairly orderly rows. Like the men of Zepath, they must surely drill at war every summer, so they form lines as they have trained to do. Priests walk up and down the line of the men of Ibleam, swinging golden censers and saying prayers.

You see King Ahaz walk beyond the front of his men. He has a strong resemblance to Tudiya, same coloration, same eyes, hair, beard. He could be a brother or a distant cousin... indeed, he is a distant cousin. The man has ridiculous muscles atop muscles and stands tall atop all the other men of his city, yet his build is not so ridiculous as Tudiya's. He is built more like his cousin, King Rimush of Tanaach.

King Ahaz raises his spear in one hand and shouts out "I am AHAZ! KING OF IBLEAM! TRUE HEIR OF ZEPA! Send forth your champion! Come and face the Spear of El!"

You hear a word of some sort shouted by one of the Norcs in reply. You see several flames sparked among the Norc lines, you watch as they wheel up the half finished, wheeled scaffolding, what possible use could they be now?

King Ahaz yells again "FOUL SPAWN OF FARE! You have come ALL of this way, to cower across the river! You have come this far, come, come a little farther! Send your champion forth!" You feel a command behind this word, it has weight, depth, it is a command which should, MUST be obeyed!

You hear a word shouted loudly by another Norc. The scaffolding... oh no...

That is not unfinished scaffolding at all. It is some kind of... bow? It is not a bow, more like some kind of giant sling? All of the ropes swing on each of them in some manner and you watch as a large logs, covered in oil and now aflame, hurdle through the air towards the position of the men of Ibleam.

Their target is not the men of Ibleam, it is the two remaining bridges.

The wood crashes into the bridge, splintering large portions of them, other sections of the bridge are already aflame.

You hear a Norc shout a word, they are reloading the weapons. You see the face of King Ahaz, King of Ibleam, shock and uncertainty are represented in equal measure. Your Balls stand silent and look to you for guidance, this... this is not the way these battles are supposed to go.

1. You...

A. Flee. Cross the river north of you. Crossing under combat conditions would be exceedingly difficult, unopposed it is just a tough swim, but one your Balls can all manage. No one is likely to see you from this vantage point. Get out of here. Get to Zepath.

B. Cross the river, join the men of Ibleam.

C. Charge the Norcs, screaming! El shall be with you!

D. Scream out the name of the eternal hunger, ASHERAH! These Norcs better keep their filthy hands off, the men of Ibleam are MINE! Attack the men of Ibleam!

E. Wait a few more moments. See what the men of Ibleam do next. Perhaps they shall charge across the burning bridge, or just cross the river itself, route the foe and all shall be well?

F. I have a plan. Good. A plan would be a good idea, because this situation is... not going according to the Mighty Man Script, where monsters stupidly show up, dual a king of greatly superior power, lose and then panic and flee. If you have a plan, this would be an excellent time to share it with everyone! Please do so!

G. Something else. Fill in.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

One of our players made a wiki about the game: http://sa-diogines.wikia.com/wiki/Paradise_Lost_CYOA_Wiki It has various bits of information, some of it is spot on, other bits are very wrong. If you find it difficult to keep track of the growing number of names and places in our game, the wiki has a good list.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 19, 2014

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
So why would they burn the bridges before coming across? Are they just going to launch poo poo across the river until they run out of...

Oh poo poo, they're going to launch the demons over, aren't they.

edit:

F. I have a plan. Good. A plan would be a good idea, because this situation is... not going according to the Mighty Man Script, where monsters stupidly show up, dual a king of greatly superior power, lose and then panic and flee. If you have a plan, this would be an excellent time to share it with! Please do so!

If they do this the men of Ibleam will probably kill the demons but will sustain losses. We should try to mitigate the risk without killing our Balls in the process. Going alone, we get closer to the Norc army while their attentions are occupied and snipe the Norcs operating the catapults, or even better the Norcs handling the demons to try to set them loose.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 19, 2014

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

It is late, I am going to sleep. Next update in all likelihood, tomorrow night.

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

A

This isn't going to go well for Ibleam, and we need to warn Zepath of these new tactics while we can still sneak off unnoticed.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
So it turns out burning the bridges would actually have done the Norc's jobs for them. And they're attacking at dusk, just as I suspected. Told you guys who should have tried to sally out beyond the bridges.

The Men of Ibleam are in a bad tactical position - the Norcs can now pound them freely from range, forcing them to either stand there like bitches getting their numbers cut down even worse, or else wade the river to get cut down midway through. Either way, the Norcs win. However...

Diog, you mentioned oil-covered logs. Are the Norcs loading up with more flaming logs? Can we see where their oil/logs are being stored? How are they being stored?

How well-guarded are those flammables?

How's the visibility around the Norc army? Do we think we could slip in close without being seen?

If we can either go commando on those ammo supplies or else fire accurate flaming arrows, we could set much of their ammo alight and gently caress up their loading procedures. They might just go to solid shot anyways, but it'll be a blow for our side.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Would we be able to use the spell we used against the Zviv again? I can't remember what exactly we did.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I am going to sleep in five minutes, getting to some questions quickly:

Tomn posted:

[b]Diog, you mentioned oil-covered logs. Are the Norcs loading up with more flaming logs? Can we see where their oil/logs are being stored? How are they being stored?

You see a number of large pots near the trebuchets, along with piles of logs. They did not stand out as remarkable or noteable to you before. So what if they had some pots? Probably supplies. Logs? For cook fires, obviously. They also have a large number of large stones.

Tomn posted:

How well-guarded are those flammables?
It is directly at the rear of the Norc formation, sandwhiched between the Norcs and the minotaurs. Norcs are working the trebuchets and a few dozen norcs stand at the rear of the trebuchets and to the left and right of them.

Tomn posted:

How's the visibility around the Norc army? Do we think we could slip in close without being seen?
Their attention is ahead. You could probably get close, before you are seen. Actually sneaking inside is out of question.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 19, 2014

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Diogines posted:

F. I have a plan. Good. A plan would be a good idea, because this situation is... not going according to the Mighty Man Script, where monsters stupidly show up, dual a king of greatly superior power, lose and then panic and flee. If you have a plan, this would be an excellent time to share it with! Please do so!

"FARE! YOU HAVE COME FOR ME, YES?

I HAVE FOUND YOU NOW, HERE OUTSIDE MY BROTHERS HALL.

FARE!

HEY

LOOK

LISTEN

HAVE YOU HEARD THE GOOD WORD OF

pause for effect

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 19, 2014

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

F - Now is the time to Arrow Time open some demon cages before they can get launched to the other side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
So the bridges are burned so that the Ibleamites cannot directly attack the bow-towers or enemy force. Meanwhile the enemy can bombard them with impunity. And we are the only force on this side of the river.

Ibleam put forth a larger force than I thought and heeded the warning. The Ibleamites also know we are here and word has been sent to Zepath. All good things.

We need to take out the bow-towers or ammo. Not sure how or how we survive that, but we need to do it.

Light the combustibles?

Free the demons?

Both?

Dunno yet.