Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Y-Hat posted:

I was surprised to read that "Real Date" is the last new episode of Regular Show that we're gonna get until next year. Granted, it does feel like a fitting end to this season, and the guys making the show haven't had a break in a really long time, but to replace it with this?

Also TTG is a good show. It's a breath of fresh air in this era of super-serious superhero movie franchises.

CN has changed to cycling new episodes of their shows, that's why Steven Universe and Regular Show are rtaking a break. This is so they will always have new episodes to air every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Batman Beyond exists in this weird place where it tries to be mature but at the same time comes off as juvenile because every other episode is a Very Special Episode where Terry learns that steroids are bad or furries are evil.

At least the steroid episode let you see what Bane looked like after decades on the juice.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Corek posted:

The all time champion of fun dubs is the Ghost Stories dub, which also transformed a bad show into a good one.

I have to watch this now. Thank you for showing me this.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

At least the steroid episode let you see what Bane looked like after decades on the juice.

That was the other big weakness in Batman Beyond, Terry's rogue gallery never measured up to Bruce's. The best villains were the ones from the original BTAS showing up again, like Mr Freeze being an immortal disembied head and the Return of the Joker movie.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That was the other big weakness in Batman Beyond, Terry's rogue gallery never measured up to Bruce's. The best villains were the ones from the original BTAS showing up again, like Mr Freeze being an immortal disembied head and the Return of the Joker movie.

Ironically, that's because Terry really didn't have that many rogues. Most villains in the series were all done-in-ones. Sure, he got a few rogues, but they didn't come back that much. I'd say if you counted them, the number of episodes that boiled down to "Terry vs. one of his own rogues" vs. "Terry vs. some random other thing", the scale would tilt way towards the latter.

That said, I still like the show and it really did have some great moments. Bruce and Terry have a great back-and-forth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYYtgF48igA

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Jsor posted:

I wonder if the Latin America version was localized from the American version, which would be weird, but would explain why they're both inexplicably comical compared to what Wikipedia claims about the Japanese version.

A lot of more kid-oriented anime actually do wind up being localized based on their American dubs, or at least used to be. This is kind of why 4kids edited series the way they did, not merely sanitizing them of any real violence but removing any cultural references from Japanese poo poo to a mere number on someone's t-shirt. The result was something basically prepackaged to be aired drat near anywhere in the world without the local translators needing to worry about anything besides changing the language.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Terry also killed a guy in one of the earlier episodes, as I recall.

Grittier indeed.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
For all the cartoons that tried doing stupid dark-edgy poo poo around that time period, Batman Beyond was the only one that actually did a passable job with it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Grittier indeed.

What? Which episode was this?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's been a while, but I remember him trapping the mook who killed his father in a sinking truck that also exploded.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's been a while, but I remember him trapping the mook who killed his father in a sinking truck that also exploded.
Yep, second episode if I'm remembering right. poo poo was pretty metal. This was also shortly after he exposed Powers to the super-virus he had his company make as a bioweapon.

It's on netflix by the way.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SlothfulCobra posted:

Grittier indeed.
Terry killed a shitload of people in Batman Beyond. Some like the henchman who killed his father in the pilot or Blight were mostly Batman Begins-esque "I don't have to save you scenarios" but in the Terrific Trio (Evil Fantastic Four) episode alone he rams a jetpack guy into a wall and kills the Trio.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The creepiest death on BB was the guy who had the phasing device who ends up falling through the ground. The best he could hope for was a quick suffocation on his journey to the center of the Earth.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMXjtvMAFlI

I think the Batman Beyond intro speaks for itself. :smugbert:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

First Bass posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMXjtvMAFlI

I think the Batman Beyond intro speaks for itself. :smugbert:

It always slays me how sandwiched between all that grim and edgy there's an extended shot of teenagers dancing like a 60s beach movie.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Come to think of it, I think Batman Beyond might have the highest onscreen deathcount in the entire DCAU. That's good for the successor to the last cartoon with realistic guns.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It always slays me how sandwiched between all that grim and edgy there's an extended shot of teenagers dancing like a 60s beach movie.

I always thought they were supposed to raving high on drugs and whatnot in a dark cyberpunk future.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Terry killed a shitload of people in Batman Beyond. Some like the henchman who killed his father in the pilot or Blight were mostly Batman Begins-esque "I don't have to save you scenarios" but in the Terrific Trio (Evil Fantastic Four) episode alone he rams a jetpack guy into a wall and kills the Trio.

Wasnt that the episode with the police guy who looked like hitler ?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Come to think of it, I think Batman Beyond might have the highest onscreen deathcount in the entire DCAU. That's good for the successor to the last cartoon with realistic guns.

There are JLA and JLU episodes where planets blow up.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Been re-watching Batman Beyond lately, actually.

The introductory credits sequence is still pretty awesome. It alludes to villains and themes of the show, without resorting to mere show clips.

In addition to Terry killing people, it seems lots of other jokes and things managed to slip under the radar.

The Mr. Freeze episode is still absolutely devastating. I've always felt sympathy for Freeze since seeing that episode as a kid, and always felt pissed when Freeze was portrayed as a total badguy or a complete goof in other media.

I'm enjoying picking out the technological and social advancements or changes that were and that weren't predicted by the show. They certainly didn't predict that geeks or nerds might actually become "cool" in the wake of a major technological revolution. (But then, that would've struck their 90s-era tween audience as bizarre and implausible. The jocks are ALWAYS the cool kids and the bullies, duh!)

(Aside: When I watched this as a kid, I couldn't believe that scary street hoodlums would want to dress up like goofy circus clowns, and then I learned about ICP. Oh.)

Also as a kid, I was bothered by the "splicers" episode, because there's a fine line between decrying the unintended and unforeseen consequences of technology or science, and decrying technology or science itself, and I thought that episode crossed that line. But, I have yet to re-watch that one, so we'll see if my opinion's changed.

I'm disappointed we don't have that jai lai-esque game they play, as that looks fun.

The dialogue holds up very nicely! The "very special episodes" don't feel as "special" or as preachy as comparable episodes on other shows (like Static Shock), and the futuristic slang and terminology sounds very natural, for the most part. "Shway" actually sounds like something teens would say.

Granted, Terry's rogues gallery wasn't as interesting as Bruce's, BUT, Spellbinder and Inque were pretty neat, all things considered.

The episode with Inque and her protege, Aaron, serves as a very poignant, powerful, and rather scary cautionary tale, and I love how it comes full circle at the end.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 19, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

On the whole, Batman Beyond did a decent job of presenting young people fairly, given that it was a show for kids made by middle-aged men. They do seem to get some digs in whenever anyone listens to popular music, as it seems to be remixed drill noises and heavy machinery.

Also, Terry is basically Spider-Man, but in a really nasty, brutal world. For a show featuring a kid protagonist, it always gave me this sense of hopelessness that the other Batman shows never did. Like, Bruce ends up miserable and alone, and he couldn't stop the bad guys from taking over his company and the city. And even though he's got this clever kid with a good heart helping him, he's so frail and old and vulnerable that he could drop dead or get committed at any minute.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jack Gladney posted:

For a show featuring a kid protagonist, it always gave me this sense of hopelessness that the other Batman shows never did. Like, Bruce ends up miserable and alone, and he couldn't stop the bad guys from taking over his company and the city. And even though he's got this clever kid with a good heart helping him, he's so frail and old and vulnerable that he could drop dead or get committed at any minute.
It's quite admirable that they made it the future of the DCAU, and not a cast-off elseworlds thing.

I always kind of felt that the rest of the world was faring a little better, but Gotham being Gotham, it was worn down, kept vibrant by technology, but overrun with corporate greed and poo poo. A nice way to reflect Bruce's life maybe.

Batman Beyond is worth it for the Batman! musical alone.

In terms of bodycount, when Terry drops the safeword on a gang of cyber-augmented droogs, turning them into quadruple amputees and poo poo was pretty rough.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tartarus Sauce posted:

The dialogue holds up very nicely! The "very special episodes" don't feel as "special" or as preachy as comparable episodes on other shows (like Static Shock), and the futuristic slang and terminology sounds very natural, for the most part. "Shway" actually sounds like something teens would say.

It's schwarbage.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

In terms of bodycount, when Terry drops the safeword on a gang of cyber-augmented droogs, turning them into quadruple amputees and poo poo was pretty rough.

That episode ends with the guy they were harassing and that Batman protected drilling into the last living member of the gang while the gang member is under general anesthesia and unable to move or do anything but watch himself die.

Plus Batman Beyond had the Home EC episode and if you don't like that one I hope your brain gets trapped in a decrepit abandoned office building and then ripped apart wire by wire by a teenager with attitude.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

That episode ends with the guy they were harassing and that Batman protected drilling into the last living member of the gang while the gang member is under general anesthesia and unable to move or do anything but watch himself die.

Plus Batman Beyond had the Home EC episode and if you don't like that one I hope your brain gets trapped in a decrepit abandoned office building and then ripped apart wire by wire by a teenager with attitude.

What the gently caress I only remember a huge laser beam in one episode and like a weird monkey joker.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Barudak posted:

It also had the episode where Terry's nerd friend maxes out his parents' credit cards buying a sex bot. The episode was succinctly titled "Terry's Friend Dates a Robot."

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I remember one episode where people suspended themselves in vats of goo that made them dream their life was good and people loved them. :smith: It was pretty transparently a Very Special Episode about drugs, but I remember it being good.

(I think that was Batman Beyond at least)

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I just got to the episode where he joins the JLU, and when Warhawk gets blown up and his smoking helmet crashes into the Batmobile's windshield my reaction was :tviv:. I expected the missile to blow, but nothing so graphic.

Also Terry's highschool is basically the supervillain factory, it's like Sunnydale High with more neon.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tartarus Sauce posted:

The Mr. Freeze episode is still absolutely devastating. I've always felt sympathy for Freeze since seeing that episode as a kid, and always felt pissed when Freeze was portrayed as a total badguy or a complete goof in other media.
I think that episode was solely made just to make up that bullshit Mr. Freeze episode that happened in New Adventures

Much like I they did that episode with Clayface in JL?

Also one of my favorite things about Batman Beyond is that it led to that parody episode of Kim Possible with Adam West.

Jack Gladney posted:

On the whole, Batman Beyond did a decent job of presenting young people fairly, given that it was a show for kids made by middle-aged men. They do seem to get some digs in whenever anyone listens to popular music, as it seems to be remixed drill noises and heavy machinery.

Also, Terry is basically Spider-Man, but in a really nasty, brutal world. For a show featuring a kid protagonist, it always gave me this sense of hopelessness that the other Batman shows never did. Like, Bruce ends up miserable and alone, and he couldn't stop the bad guys from taking over his company and the city. And even though he's got this clever kid with a good heart helping him, he's so frail and old and vulnerable that he could drop dead or get committed at any minute.
I'm just glad that Return of the Joker gave Bruce some closure with Barbra and Tim :unsmith:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There's a podcast about cartoons that has new episodes every Tuesday- both cartoons for kids and for adults. Their one last week was for Phineas and Ferb, and they said that the show is on an "indefinite hiatus." Is Disney planning on killing it?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Batman Beyond never felt all that preachy to me. I think it was less trying to have "very special" episodes, and more just trying to keep based on more realistic issues, albeit through a sci-fi lens. Batman Beyond seems much more grounded than, say Superman the Animated Series, where the most realistic ongoing theme was the inability of the police force to cope with the proliferation of high-tech superweapons.

If you want a series with a lot of Very Special Episodes, try Clone High.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Batman Beyond never felt all that preachy to me. I think it was less trying to have "very special" episodes, and more just trying to keep based on more realistic issues, albeit through a sci-fi lens. Batman Beyond seems much more grounded than, say Superman the Animated Series, where the most realistic ongoing theme was the inability of the police force to cope with the proliferation of high-tech superweapons.

That was the entire point of Clone High though, it was a parody

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Also one of my favorite things about Batman Beyond is that it led to that parody episode of Kim Possible with Adam West.

The ferret superhero one? Batman Beyond inspired THAT?

Y-Hat posted:

There's a podcast about cartoons that has new episodes every Tuesday- both cartoons for kids and for adults. Their one last week was for Phineas and Ferb, and they said that the show is on an "indefinite hiatus." Is Disney planning on killing it?

What podcast is this?

Also, I don't know if it's on hiatus or not because Nick Frost posted on his Facebook that he and Simon Pegg would return as Shaun and Ed from Shaun of the Dead for a Halloween special for Phineas and Ferb.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Superman:TAS at least was able to sneak a gay couple in.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Jsor posted:

I remember one episode where people suspended themselves in vats of goo that made them dream their life was good and people loved them. :smith: It was pretty transparently a Very Special Episode about drugs, but I remember it being good.

(I think that was Batman Beyond at least)

Oh man, I remember that one. It was pretty drat dark, even by that show's standards.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 20, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ThermoPhysical posted:

The ferret superhero one? Batman Beyond inspired THAT?
Ron's voice actor is Will Friedle who also voiced Terry in Batman Beyond

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Y-Hat posted:

Wouldn't surprise me since they seem to schedule new episodes by throwing darts at a calendar. It's had a good run but if they kill it off the only other thing worth watching on Disney Channel is Gravity Falls and they seem to treat that with the same level of respect.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

achillesforever6 posted:

Ron's voice actor is Will Friedle who also voiced Terry in Batman Beyond

That never stopped being weird to me. I knew no girls that did not hate Ron and the fact that he ended up with Kim.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

One episode of BB I remember well was golem. I think it aired before the columbine shootings.

Edit: yes it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I was never bothered by the Very Special Episodes of Static Shock. The racism one had some really painful dialogue but I liked the flow of the school shooting one quite a lot, and the one where Virgil goes to Africa and meets Anansi was pretty rad due to Anansi being African Batman. Also, the rest of the series around those episodes had really solid writing.

Also: BRAIIIIN PUPPETSSS!