Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

more falafel please posted:

If you're kegging, do the quick lager method and be drinking it by mid-September: http://brulosophy.com/lager-method/

Woah. I need a better fermentation chamber than my basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

hellfaucet posted:

Trying to fit 6 pounds of cherries through the bung of a carboy: :butt::dong:

:staredog:

I had to fit 10pounds. :negative:

Note to self: get a wider funnel.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Fluo posted:

I had to fit 10pounds. :negative:

Note to self: get a wider funnel.

How much cherry flavor you got up in yours?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

hellfaucet posted:

Trying to fit 6 pounds of cherries through the bung of a carboy: :butt::dong:

:staredog:

1. Put on latex gloves.
2. Spray hands with sanitizer.
3. Cram, mush and manhandle the cherries into the funnel with as much force as you can muster.

Trust me, it's how we pros do it. :suicide:

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Ubik posted:

1. Put on latex gloves.
3. Cram, mush and manhandle the cherries into the funnel with as much force as you can muster.

1. Use a bucket

That's how us amateurs do it :v:

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

If you're kegging, do the quick lager method and be drinking it by mid-September: http://brulosophy.com/lager-method/

I've never seen this before but I do a similar process to turn out a lager in 4 weeks. The key is making sure you have enough healthy yeast, if you don't have a stir plate you will be making gigantic starters. My timeline is:

-Pitch yeast at 48-50*F
-Ferment at 50-54*F for 10 days
-Raise temp to 60*F for 2 days
-Crash to 34*F and lager for 14 days
-Keg and force carb

I don't even transfer to secondary anymore, as long as you're careful when you rack to the keg it'll be crystal clear the next day. I also use biofine when I rack over so that helps too.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Josh Wow posted:

I've never seen this before but I do a similar process to turn out a lager in 4 weeks. The key is making sure you have enough healthy yeast, if you don't have a stir plate you will be making gigantic starters. My timeline is:

-Pitch yeast at 48-50*F
-Keg and force carb

I don't even transfer to secondary anymore, as long as you're careful when you rack to the keg it'll be crystal clear the next day. I also use biofine when I rack over so that helps too.

What is your fermentation chamber? A fridge or chest freezer with a digital temperature controller? I've always really wanted to get into lagering, but am planning on getting some sort of kegerator system going for my draft beer, rather than just having the keg iced in my lauter tun. :saddowns:

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I went to bottle my sour last night and it was all slush.

RoofieMyselfForFun
Apr 5, 2010
So I actually just got into brewing and i went to Barnes & Noble to get some literature on the subject and I ended up walking away with a book specifically on clonebrews. I figured I'm just starting out and I don't really know what I want to make so why not use beers that i know as a reference point and experiment from there.

Anyway, my real question is all about spicing.

I'm using Bar Harbor's Harbor Lighthouse Ale as a base and i want to turn it into a spiced pumpkin beer. The question is, how much pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves do i use? Should i put them in at the fermenting process or when boiling the wort? I know experimenting is probably the best answer but i don't want to shove a whole pumpkin in the wrong part of process and have 5 gallons of puke worthy beer to try and get rid of.

Any advice?

quote:

Steep:
8 oz (227g) British Crystal Malt
5 oz (142g) Chocolate Malt
1.5 oz (42g) Peated Malt

Strain and Sparge:
5.5lbs (2.5kg) Muntons extra-light DME
2/3 (19g) Cluster @ 7% AA (bittering hop)

Boil:

1/4oz (7g) Whitebread Goldings Variety (flavor hop)
1 tsp (5ml) Irish moss

Cool and Pitch:
Wyeast's 1968 London ESB Ale Yeast (ferment at 68-72 F [20-22 C])

Ferment and Bottle:
1/4 cups (300 ml) Mutons extra-light DME boiled in 2 cups of water

Ferment for 7 days

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

ChickenArise posted:

I went to bottle my sour last night and it was all slush.

Thinking about this. Since it was a sour and it wasn't slushy for long, I wasn't going to pitch any yeast at bottling. This morning I found a pack of WB-06 that I could use in a pinch. Still, I think that there's enough brett alive in the carboy. Does anyone have experience with a slightly frozen brew?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

hellfaucet posted:

How much cherry flavor you got up in yours?

No idea yet, its been sittingin the 100% brett rye saison for 2months now (8lb sour cherries from my garden, 2lb dark sweet cherries). Last year I did 12lb (birds didn't eat 2lb that year, netting somehow made it a game to birds) and it had a really strong flavour but I bottled after a week of putting it in. Hopefully I'll bottle mine very soon and will let you know!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

RoofieMyselfForFun posted:

So I actually just got into brewing and i went to Barnes & Noble to get some literature on the subject and I ended up walking away with a book specifically on clonebrews. I figured I'm just starting out and I don't really know what I want to make so why not use beers that i know as a reference point and experiment from there.

Anyway, my real question is all about spicing.

I'm using Bar Harbor's Harbor Lighthouse Ale as a base and i want to turn it into a spiced pumpkin beer. The question is, how much pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves do i use? Should i put them in at the fermenting process or when boiling the wort? I know experimenting is probably the best answer but i don't want to shove a whole pumpkin in the wrong part of process and have 5 gallons of puke worthy beer to try and get rid of.

Any advice?

I noted this earlier in the page, but when I've done my pumpkin beers, I buy a whole pie pumpkin (like a 2-3lb one) and I chop it up into 2" pieces and roast that in the oven until it starts to caramelize. Then I put that into a grain sack and steep it at 155F for about 30 minutes to pull out the sugars. Remove the bag and then start your boil. I put my spices right when I turn off the boil so the heat pulls out the spice oils, but doesn't destroy them. I really can't remember how much I used though and I can't seem to find my recipe. I know I used nutmeg, cinnamon, clove and allspice though. Go easy on them or it will completely mask the pumpkin flavor. One of mine I also added about a 1/4 cup of molasses at the end of the boil as well.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

pugnax posted:

What is your fermentation chamber? A fridge or chest freezer with a digital temperature controller? I've always really wanted to get into lagering, but am planning on getting some sort of kegerator system going for my draft beer, rather than just having the keg iced in my lauter tun. :saddowns:
I lager in a chest freezer with a temp controller. I also bottle and not keg so I don't need the keezer for serving. I guess if you want to be able to make temperature controlled beer and also serve from kegs you might need 2 keezers.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Syrinxx posted:

I guess if you want to be able to make temperature controlled beer and also serve from kegs you might need 2 keezers.

I have two (fridges, not chest freezers) now, and I'm beginning to think I need another. I use one for temp-controlled ferments and one for serving, but I want another for longer-term storage/aging/lagering.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

pugnax posted:

I do a chest freezer with temperature controller for my fermentation chamber. I got a two stage temp controller and rigged up some reptile heat rope inside it so I can heat it as well, since in my basement in the winter it gets too cold to do most ales. I have a seperate freezer for my kegerator as well.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

pugnax posted:

I have a mini-fridge I built a chamber around, using 1.5" foam insulation, and 'Great Stuff'/silicone sealing the smaller gaps. I got it to hold ~36 pretty easily earlier in the year. Haven't tried on the 90-100F days to get it that low though.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Whatcha guys think...
I brewed a saison a couple of weeks back. 3711 smack pack + collection of a bit of abbey yeast, saison dupont, and 3 bottles of saison brett's dregs. I then kegged it and put a dark saison onto the yeast cake. It fermented so insanely fast and hard.

I want this beer for the winter, say Nov or Dec, will there be much brett character after holding it for that amount of time?

E: The first saison was 3.5% ish and the second was like 7.5% (not sure if that matters)

RoofieMyselfForFun
Apr 5, 2010

rockcity posted:

I noted this earlier in the page, but when I've done my pumpkin beers, I buy a whole pie pumpkin (like a 2-3lb one) and I chop it up into 2" pieces and roast that in the oven until it starts to caramelize. Then I put that into a grain sack and steep it at 155F for about 30 minutes to pull out the sugars. Remove the bag and then start your boil. I put my spices right when I turn off the boil so the heat pulls out the spice oils, but doesn't destroy them. I really can't remember how much I used though and I can't seem to find my recipe. I know I used nutmeg, cinnamon, clove and allspice though. Go easy on them or it will completely mask the pumpkin flavor. One of mine I also added about a 1/4 cup of molasses at the end of the boil as well.

Hey thanks so much!

Yeah I'm trying to emulate a pumpkin ale a friend of a friend brewed and it tasted like semi-sweet pumpkin pie in a glass. It was after that when i researched brewing :guinness:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Josh Wow posted:

-Pitch yeast at 48-50*F
-Keg and force carb

Yeah, I'm sure commercial practices/equipment change the game completely, but I can just about guarantee that commercial breweries making lagers aren't just tying up their brite tanks for 3-4 months per batch to lager them.

I don't transfer anything to secondary anymore unless I need the fermenter free, or unless it's a wine or something and I'm trying to get it off lees. It sure makes me feel silly having these 4 5 gallon Better Bottles, though.

This is my first time trying the quick lager method, on a 1.067 Oktoberfest. It should be wrapping up diacetyl rest now, I pitched last Sunday, so 9 days ago. After that I'm just going to ramp it down to the 30s and rack it into a keg -- it should be carbing in the keezer by this weekend. Even if there's a pint or so of yeast sludge, I'm sure it's going to be crystal clear after that by the time it's carbed up. And the beauty is -- if it needs more lagering than the week or two it spends carbing up, I can just... not drink it and keep it in the fridge. It'll be lagering the whole time.

pugnax posted:

I have an Igloo minifridge, 4.6 cf. There was a deal on it at Walmart and I had a gift card, so it was cheap to me. The "freezer" portion is just a shelf that pulls out, and I can fit a 6 gallon Better Bottle with a blowoff tube and a quart mason jar of StarSan on the compressor hump without making any modifications to the door. That plus an STC-1000 build has been working for me for the last year or so.

It'd be nice to have space for more than one beer at a time, so I might at some point upgrade to either a small chest freezer, or build an insulated chamber with the minifridge sticking out of it. For my schedule now (5 gallons every 2 weeks or so) it's working pretty well, though.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

rockcity posted:

Wow so no other fermentables? I'm kind of loving the idea of STEEP A PIE AND FERMENT THE JUICE

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
A whole pie pumpkin, not a whole pumpkin pie.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Wow so no other fermentables? I'm kind of loving the idea of STEEP A PIE AND FERMENT THE JUICE

You won't get enough fermentable sugars out of a 2 pound pumpkin. He just skipped the mash/extract steps and only covered the modifications you'd make to a normal recipe since the original questionw as "how do I modify this recipe I like into a pumpkin beer?"

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Reading is really hard you guys. Yeh that's what I plan to do once pie pumpkins abound, but for now I'm attempting with canned guts just to experiment and have something drinkable for Halloween.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I feel like this has been posted multiple times, but I don't want to go back and read the thread...

Anyone have a good English Mild recipe? I don't know that I've ever had a proper English one, but I'm thinking along the lines of Surly Mild or 3F Pride & Joy.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

I feel like this has been posted multiple times, but I don't want to go back and read the thread...

Anyone have a good English Mild recipe? I don't know that I've ever had a proper English one, but I'm thinking along the lines of Surly Mild or 3F Pride & Joy.

For English-style recipes, Jim's Beer Kit forum is a good place to go. Also for clones of American-style beers produced by English breweries, but I'm probably the only one looking for those.

This looks like a decent mild:

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=67053

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Here is an extract dark mild I adapted a bit from another goon's recipe. I've made it twice and I think it's really quite good (disclaimer I am a huge English ale nerd so I think nearly all of them are quite good)

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/1401-winter-mild

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 19, 2014

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Syrinxx posted:

Here is an extract dark mild I adapted a bit from another goon's recipe. I've made it twice and I think it's really quite good (disclaimer I am a huge English ale nerd so I think nearly all of them are quite good)

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/1401-winter-mild

Beat me to it :)
Upside also, if you have a keg...this is already drinkable in like a week.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

ChickenArise posted:

Thinking about this. Since it was a sour and it wasn't slushy for long, I wasn't going to pitch any yeast at bottling. This morning I found a pack of WB-06 that I could use in a pinch. Still, I think that there's enough brett alive in the carboy. Does anyone have experience with a slightly frozen brew?

Threw caution to the wind and primed with white grape juice. Hopefully I have neither still beer nor bottle bombs. My hydrometer sample was sour enough to make my ears pop, and I don't know what to think about that. IIRC this was the batch that got a really active innoculation bug pitch and never really showed any typical signs of sacc fermentation.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

ChickenArise posted:

Threw caution to the wind and primed with white grape juice. Hopefully I have neither still beer nor bottle bombs. My hydrometer sample was sour enough to make my ears pop, and I don't know what to think about that. IIRC this was the batch that got a really active innoculation bug pitch and never really showed any typical signs of sacc fermentation.

I pretty much loving love that you primed with grape juice. This is a bold and badass move. Fuckin' ingenuity right there if you ask me, it will be good. Send me a bottle.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I primed my first extract sour batch with sour cherry juice made from the same batch as the berries that I added (which I lucked into when I went back for more berries, but they were out). I've still got bottles and it turns 2 next week; no explosions, great carbonation. I aimed for roughly the amount of sugar from the nutritional label as if I were adding it as grams of sucrose. :science:

It's not exactly Cantillon's 'grape liqueur', but at least the bugs were grown from their bottle dregs.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HatfulOfHollow posted:

You won't get enough fermentable sugars out of a 2 pound pumpkin. He just skipped the mash/extract steps and only covered the modifications you'd make to a normal recipe since the original questionw as "how do I modify this recipe I like into a pumpkin beer?"

Yeah, sorry for not noting that. Those were just the pumpkin/spice steps. The rest was a partial mash/extract recipe. Though now I'm wondering if you could physically do an all pumpkin mash and have it ferment well. I'm guessing you'd need a ludicrous amount of pumpkin.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I wonder how available the starches in a pumpkin actually are. It probably couldn't hurt to do a cereal mash with the pumpkin pulp and use some amylase enzyme for good conversion.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Don't pumpkins already lend such a small amount of flavor? I'd imagine that getting a higher fermentability might impact that negatively.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Ubik posted:

1. Put on latex gloves.

Please don't use latex. Use nitrile, vinyl, or plastic gloves instead. I'd really rather not have to jab my wife with an epi pen for drinking beer. (Latex protein allergies are goddamn awful)

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
I don't share enough of what I brew and there isn't enough photos in this thread so here ya go:

Solera step #2 knocked out today.

They didn't have "my usual" (wl670), so I picked up Wyeast's Oud Bruin and Lambic strains for the two-four gallon batches. It's getting interesting. Tasted the first versions and they are pretty drat wonderful as they stand but reading more about blending has got me focused.

Late spring I threw a wheat wine into the pipeline - I tasted it today and it's "warming" for sure. I'd bought sour cherries (2#) on the cheap and got some raspberries (1#) from a neighbor so I plopped it all in a jug with a splash of that wheat wine. It's likely more fruit wine than anything but it should be interesting to say the least.

Hops are coming in, and likely going to be at least 2x as last year.

Tasted the Quad finally after it's been sitting on Brett A (ecy 04) and had some cubes hanging out - it's better than I could have imagined - and changed so much from the clean version. Glad I got to pull a bottle before I dove into the depths. Brett-blend Belgian Pale is tasting spot on, and it seems after a bumpy "I can't make anything good" period I've broken through.

My lesson learned: hang up your hang ups.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
My mom decided to paint her deck and trellises.

Apparently she couldn't wait until fall after I harvested the hops I was growing on them. She got paint all over the stems and 80% of each plant is now dead. Looks like no harvest this year...

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Daedalus Esquire posted:

My mom decided to paint her deck and trellises.

Apparently she couldn't wait until fall after I harvested the hops I was growing on them. She got paint all over the stems and 80% of each plant is now dead. Looks like no harvest this year...

:smith:

My Tettnangers are just starting to go papery on the tips. I better get a drying rig set up soon.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Dang. AHA tweeted the recipe to an Oktoberfest. I really want to brew one but I'm not sure I want to dedicate my single fridge that doubles as a 1 vessel fermentation chamber/kegerator to 1 beer for 2 months of brew time.
Has anyone made something slightly resembling an oktoberfest in ale form? How'd it turn out?

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost
Could I get your opinions on this recipe? My brew buddy and I are looking to do this labor day weekend.

-----

"Rye Me A River" RIPA

10 Gallon Batch, Partial Mash

5# 2-Row
5# Flaked Rye
3# CaraRed
3# Crystal 30L
1.5# Chocolate Rye Malt

Mash 60 minutes @152°F, mash out at 168°F.

9# Light DME in the boil (we only have so much mash space)

1oz each Amarillo and Chinook @ 60 minutes
1oz each Amarillo and Chinook @ 10 minutes
1oz each Amarillo and Chinook @ flame out
1oz each Amarillo and Chinook dry hop

A pretty big starter of WLP001

-----

We're both what I'd call intermediate homebrewers, have a keggle setup, and have been able to follow recipes we've found without trouble, as well as tweak to our liking. This is my second "from scratch" recipe (the first one, a vanilla bourbon sweet stout, turned out awesome), so I'm still a little shaky on percentages, especially never having brewed with rye before.

I've read varying opinions, some saying never go past 15% rye, others saying 20%+ really brings out the spice. Does anyone have experience with Chocolate Rye? I found that Sierra Nevada' Ruthless Rye (a favorite) includes chocolate malt. At any rate, we'll be using a fair amount of rice hulls to ensure the mash doesn't become stuck.

I plugged it all into Brewtoad, which estimates:

41 IBU
7.7% ABV
21 SRM

Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Six pounds of crystal (30L plus carared) seems like a lot to me in ten gallons. Plus, I just don't care for the flavor of carared - it seems pretty cloying to my taste. You also only have five pounds of diastatic grain in there to convert an additional 12.5 pounds of specialty malts and adjuncts.