Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Gonz posted:

Martin Lawrence just announced Bad Boys 3 on Conan.

Will Smith's lovely kid will probably be in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Another classic Conan sketch.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I know I'm a few days behind, but Will Arnett needs to be sitting on the second couch goofing off with Andy during all Conan interviews.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

I know I'm a few days behind, but Will Arnett needs to be sitting on the second couch goofing off with Andy during all Conan interviews.

He might as well, he has more cancelled shows than Andy at this point anyway.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Craig Ferguson to host 30 minute daytime talk show in 2015.

That strikes me as odd, but I'll be there.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Yes, that is weird, the idea that he will have to broaden his appeal seems like exactly why he wouldn't want Letterman's slot. Then again, if it is more of a Stephen Fry style, it could make sense.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I've got a pretty good cable package but I didn't get Arsineo when he was on, and it sounds like this is the same networks? Hopefully I'll at least be able to watch it.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'll watch, but it will be sad to not have Geoff there since I assume he wouldn't make the leap.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'll watch, but it will be sad to not have Geoff there since I assume he wouldn't make the leap.

What makes you think James Corden won't keep Geoff and the horse?

quote:

Ferguson explained, “CBS and I are not getting divorced, we are ‘consciously uncoupling,’ but we will still spend holidays together and share custody of the fake horse and robot skeleton, both of whom we love very much,”

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pinwiz11 posted:

I could see Josh Robert Thompson maybe coming along, albiet in fleshier form.

RDNZL
Apr 19, 2008

Pinwiz11 posted:

An article about this on Deadline says Craig "plans to take" Geoff with him for the new show. The Hollywood Reporter also says the new show would tape in the same studio he has now and be "quite similar to his current series, with occasional guest interviews" -- which strikes me as odd. It would be more of a straight-up comedy show?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Pinwiz11 posted:

Deadline.com posted:

Craig Ferguson is in advance talks with Tribune Media about doing a half-hour first-run comedy/talk show that would air in prime access, sources say. The CBS Late Late Show host plans to take his Robot Skeleton sidekick with him — and Geoff Peterson, who does the robot voice. Those who’ve been watching Ferguson’s show recently have heard him make “whither I goest, you go” assurances to Robot Skeleton. Ferguson’s also also expected to take Secretariat, his pantomime horse — and his longtime showrunner Michael Naidus.

Sounds good to me but going up against Wheel of Fortune and/or Jeopardy is a real tall order. Certainly Craig is more watchable than that Dish Nation dreck.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I've gone from being kind of skeptical about this and sad about Craig leaving LLS.... to very excited!

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

wa27 posted:

I've got a pretty good cable package but I didn't get Arsineo when he was on, and it sounds like this is the same networks? Hopefully I'll at least be able to watch it.
Yeah Tribune owned stations only cover 40% of the US market, but has a presence in all of the top tv markets; WPIX-New York, KTLA-Los Angeles, WGN-Chicago to name a few. Here in Los Angeles I know exactly where Craig's new talk show AND gameshow would go. They'd put it in the 7:00-8:00pm block which would finally dethrone Two And Half Men that has been running there perpetually for what seems like a decade or more.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

RDNZL posted:

An article about this on Deadline says Craig "plans to take" Geoff with him for the new show. The Hollywood Reporter also says the new show would tape in the same studio he has now and be "quite similar to his current series, with occasional guest interviews" -- which strikes me as odd. It would be more of a straight-up comedy show?

So Craig plans to take his sidekicks, and presumably his crew to host a show similar to the one he has now in the same studio, which begs the question - Why is he leaving in the first place?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

So Craig plans to take his sidekicks, and presumably his crew to host a show similar to the one he has now in the same studio, which begs the question - Why is he leaving in the first place?

Maybe he really wants to host that game show as well?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's tired of that "who loving knows?"/"next week maybe?" grind.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The Nastier Nate posted:

I don't think he had a choice? Once Worldwide Pants dissolves as a production arm for The Late Late Show when Dave bolts and CBS passed over Craig for Late Night (thank God) he isn't contractually obligated to do poo poo anymore for CBS.

Craig's contract times out at exactly the same time as Dave rides into the sunset. This is hardly coincidence.

It's also one of the reasons Craig is allowed to take the gay robot skeleton and the pantomime horse with zero fallout. CBS has no intellectual property at stake since they didn't own anything to begin with. Dave's Worldwide Pants has the IP of Craig's show under their production. CBS just aired what was brought to them.

This is much different than when Dave (and Conan) were with NBC and the Peacock held both of their collective bits as intellectual property after they left since NBC produced both shows.

Craig leaving CBS is bittersweet but it's the cleanest break imaginable in comparison to the Dave/Jay/Conan thing.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 18, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

I don't think he had a choice? Once Worldwide Pants dissolves as a production arm for The Late Late Show when Dave bolts and CBS passed over Craig for Late Night (thank God) he isn't contractually obligated to do poo poo anymore for CBS.

I think his question was more why is Craig choosing to leave given he's basically doing the same thing in his new role. It wouldn't have been difficult to sort things out for him to stay on as Late Late Show host and it sounds like CBS was willing to keep him there.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I think his question was more why is Craig choosing to leave. It wouldn't have been difficult to sort things out for him to stay on as Late Late Show host.
Craig didn't choose to leave, it was always in the deck of cards. Craig has always said he's leaving The Late Late Show when Dave retires. That statement goes hand in hand with Dave's Worldwide Pants ending it's relationship with CBS when Letterman retires since Dave's production house owns both shows.

Why do you think Craig is shopping a game show due to be premiered in a few weeks? Craig knew what was going down as much as a year ago or more. Waaaay before we did and has made the appropriate jumps into other avenues in anticipation.

Tribune showing interest in a Craig talkshow is just gravy since they have all ready green lit his gameshow. Maybe Tribune sees something they like and want to lock CraigyFerg down before someone else does.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 18, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

I think his question was more why is Craig choosing to leave given he's basically doing the same thing in his new role. It wouldn't have been difficult to sort things out for him to stay on as Late Late Show host and it sounds like CBS was willing to keep him there.

It depends on the contract, but if he owns a piece of his new show, he's got a lot of that sweet syndication money coming his way. Also, being a more public face (late night vs early evening) will lead to more opportunities for product endorsements and the like.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Irish Joe posted:

It depends on the contract, but if he owns a piece of his new show, he's got a lot of that sweet syndication money coming his way. Also, being a more public face (late night vs early evening) will lead to more opportunities for product endorsements and the like.

Does that mean more or less vacuum cleaners with the proper amount of suction?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Eh, I can understand his reasoning -- it's a half-hour syndicated thing so they can crank out a lot of episodes quickly, it might tape at a better time, maybe CBS was giving him crap about wanting to tone down the show's weirdness ... we'll never know. He's also got a three-year-old kid, remember.

Edit: Also, Dave or no Dave, Craig is getting stomped in the ratings by Seth Myers and even Carson Daly. I'm sure he'd rather make a graceful exit than get unceremoniously booted.

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 18, 2014

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The Bruce Willis interview on Letterman tonight is surreal.

He sure is a trooper for messy prop gags.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Craptacular! posted:

The Bruce Willis interview on Letterman tonight is surreal.

He sure is a trooper for messy prop gags.

Yeah, gotta give to Willis and others like Tom Hanks who's always game to get a laugh by acting like an idiot.

I'm glad that Dave did a tribute to Robin. Even showing a brief clip of himself on Mork and Mindy. I remember seeing that when it first ran and thought to myself what a horrible actor he was (Dave, that is).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tonight's Conan is a "Scraps" episode made up of all the best/weirdest rehearsal footage from the show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Wikibear professing his love for Satan was outstanding.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gonz posted:

Wikibear professing his love for Satan was outstanding.
Yeah, there really weren't many great moments in that episode but the whole WikiBear segment was fantastic, as was Poseidon singing the Minty The Candy Cane Who Fell On The Ground theme song while getting undressed.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Man, Conan carrying around that guitar like a security blanket is just sad. :smith:

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Yeah he looked like "that guy" at a party.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Unscripted Conan is the best Conan and I'd watch an actual show of the rehearsal stuff and outtakes rather than his current show, to be honest.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'd settle for another four weeks off a year if we just got a travelling road show since remotes are the best part of his show and what is a road show if not a four hour remote?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I just listened to Jimmy Walker on WTF from a while back, and I learned that he used to manage both Letterman and Leno. He also said that Carson never liked Leno and the only reason he ever got on the Tonight Show in the first place was because Letterman went to bat for him. Same reason Leno ever got the guest host gig.

Just another layer to Leno douchiness.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
No one is entitled to a job, least of all one like being the host of the Tonight Show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Woah, Conan came back from break tonight and the show has a fancy new intro. It looks more...sleek and modern, I guess.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Woah, Conan came back from break tonight and the show has a fancy new intro. It looks more...sleek and modern, I guess.

The intro was already pretty spiffy and, in my opinion, one of the few things I liked aesthetically since the move to TBS; of all the things they could have updated, that seems like a waste. I remember back when it was Late Night, it seemed like they changed his set every 3 years or so. I've been waiting since the first episode on TBS for the current set to be replaced. It's probably the worst since their first year. I mean, he does the monologue in front of the interview space. Does that bother anyone else? There is a perfectly nice curtained area just to the right.

Also, if they're going to update the intro, why didn't they do something about the awkward spacing between "I'm Andy Richter" and "Now here he is..." where the episode titles used to be. I know it seems like a small thing to be bothered by, but it trips my OCD out big time.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Meanwhile, Seth Meyers got an entirely new set, and a new orientation that's similar to Fallon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyIe8XeCglc

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

I remember back when it was Late Night, it seemed like they changed his set every 3 years or so. I've been waiting since the first episode on TBS for the current set to be replaced. It's probably the worst since their first year.
I'm gonna see if I can recall this stuff correctly. Dates are approximate...

1993 Original mustard-yellow set. Sometime early on there was a minor modification made, but this basic set was used for about 3 years.

1996 Second set, with the square motif and the padded wall. This set coincides with Conan's ascension from being on the edge of cancellation to becoming a hot commodity in the NBC lineup.

2001 The circles set. Fun fact: this set debuted in late August, with no curtain behind the facade, a couple weeks before 9/11. When the show came back on September 18th, the curtain had been added, with the "view" of the Twin Towers obscured by folds in the cloth. I am pretty sure at some point in September or October they tried it without the curtain again for an episode, but it went back up right away. This set remained until it was smashed and torn apart by Conan in his last week in 2009.

There were 5 opening montages used in that 16-year period. Animated (1993,) Bicycle (1995,) Times Square clipshow (1997 [my least-liked opening,]) Color Bars (2000) and Cel-shaded NYC Tour (2004.)

And no talk of Conan sets should go without a nod to the most beautiful of late night sets.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

pwn posted:

Meanwhile, Seth Meyers got an entirely new set, and a new orientation that's similar to Fallon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyIe8XeCglc
Oh cool, now it looks like he's in jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ferguson cracked me up last night with Seth Green.

Also nice to see Secretariat's rear end getting some screen time.