Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Insane Totoro posted:

It's probably still more expensive than TMo. SOMEHOW

Not quite. You have to provide your own equipment. Which is expensive as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Beefstorm posted:

Not quite. You have to provide your own equipment. Which is expensive as all hell.

You can't just but a Moto X?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="433397768"]
How exactly did you confirm it?

Talked to T-Mobile support and they looked up my account and said yes it qualified. Then I went on a 2 hour one way road trip, then a 7 hour one way trip with 400mb left on my data, listened to Spotify like the whole time, and never even reached 5gb.

And yes went off of the data info from TMo, not my phone.

r0ck0 posted:

Are you saying that streaming music doesn't count towards bandwidth usage on the nerd plan?

I've only used it with Spotify, but yeah.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

FordPRefectLL posted:

I work for an indirect that has only smartphones and we had a girl who only used prepaid and refused to get a smartphone because she hated them.

I have a friend who makes mobile games and only uses a lovely flip phone.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Dr Tran posted:

I have a friend who makes mobile games and only uses a lovely flip phone.

Maybe he knows something we don't!

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I hope this is the right thread for this.

I have an ATT LG G2 that I just unlocked to use on T-Mobile. It can make and receive calls and texts, and it gets 4G data, however I'm not getting 4G LTE data. The signal never says lte next to it, and doing a speed test I'm only getting between 1-8mbps whereas on my Galaxy S5 I was getting 35+

I set up the APN settings with what I believe to be the correct settings. I've seen online people saying to go to settings, tethering and networks, then network mode to ensure lte is selected. Well I don't even have an option of network mode. I've tried the shortcut for 3845#*800# then lte only, then modem settings, then rat selector. I don't have a rat selector option.

Any help?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I think that the ATT LG G2 doesn't support WCDMA 1700 and that may be what LTE in your area uses.

EDIT: Yep

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-D800-g2

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 15, 2014

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

FordPRefectLL posted:

I think that the ATT LG G2 doesn't support WCDMA 1700 and that may be what LTE in your area uses.

EDIT: Yep

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-D800-g2

WCDMA is UMTS, the 3G technology. The AT&T D800 is missing T-Mobile's AWS 3G band, but has their AWS LTE band.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I read it wrong, then. Oops. No idea how to fix it.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
Thanks

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.

Shif posted:

How do you like the iPhone 5S, and your husband the G3? I'm in the military and a good chunk of my buddies who own an iPhone have broken or cracked screens.

Wow, I'm really late--sorry!

I really don't like the iPhone 5S, but the qualifier to not liking it is that for my work, we use Google everything (Gmail, Drive, G+, Docs, Voice, etc). Android, for obvious reasons, was way more friendly for this. Although I've been able to download the full suite of Google apps to my iPhone they just don't seem to play as nice. I really do think I'm going to give it back and just outright buy a GNex though because it would work a lot better for me.

My husband likes the LG G3, but I feel like it's just really big. He says battery life is meh at best. But he's a very heavy video watcher/music listener. If you're just using it for calls/e-mails/texts it might be better. :)

e: husband is military, no issues with him breaking phones, but we always get good cases for them. I put my iPhone in an Otterbox Defender.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Hey I have a question about switching to tmobile, would we HAVE to trade in our old verizon phones to switch? All of us? They're mostly not worth anything other than my sister's iphone. I have a galaxy nexus and tmobile's tradein estimator said it would be worth a 15$ credit. I'd rather keep the nexus around the house for streaming and fiddling with.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

blackflare posted:

Hey I have a question about switching to tmobile, would we HAVE to trade in our old verizon phones to switch? All of us? They're mostly not worth anything other than my sister's iphone. I have a galaxy nexus and tmobile's tradein estimator said it would be worth a 15$ credit. I'd rather keep the nexus around the house for streaming and fiddling with.

From what I understand, if you want them to pay your ETF, you have to trade in a phone for each line you are getting reimbursed for. In my family's case, we traded in both of my parent's dumbphones (worth pennies) and an old phone (worth micropennies) that we had lying around. I kept my Verizon iPhone 5S and simply brought that with me to T-Mobile, where it works fine. I think we ended up getting about $15 from trading in old phones, but it was totally worth it for me, since they "released" my iPhone from a multi-year contract.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a multi line AT&T account. My line has a year left and has an iPhone 5S, my wife's line will be ETF free around now and has an iPhone 5.

Obviously T-Mo doesn't know which line is which, if I trade in the iPhone 5 will they pay an ETF and give me money for the 5? Seems like that should work.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Chemmy posted:

I have a multi line AT&T account. My line has a year left and has an iPhone 5S, my wife's line will be ETF free around now and has an iPhone 5.

Obviously T-Mo doesn't know which line is which, if I trade in the iPhone 5 will they pay an ETF and give me money for the 5? Seems like that should work.
You mean if you transfer both lines? They don't care what phone you trade in, they just require you to trade in a phone.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

ilkhan posted:

You mean if you transfer both lines? They don't care what phone you trade in, they just require you to trade in a phone.

Right, ok cool. So I guess the plan is something like:

- Wait for iPhone 6 launch
- Buy two iPhone 6s on T-Mobile and start new lines of service
- Port AT&T numbers through T-Mobile and pay ETF to AT&T
- Submit documentation and trade in a phone to T-Mobile
- International roaming without being gouged to death

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Chemmy posted:

Right, ok cool. So I guess the plan is something like:

- Buy two iPhone 6s on T-Mobile and start new lines of service
- Port AT&T numbers through T-Mobile and pay ETF to AT&T
- Submit documentation and trade in a phone to T-Mobile

The trade-in takes place all at once, so steps 2-4 are largely simultaneous, though you can pay that AT&T ETF any time (before it's due), and you will be waiting approximately 2 months for T-Mo to send you the ETF reimbursement cards.

- Port AT&T numbers through T-Mo, buy 2 iPhone 6s while there, trade in iPhone 5 while there
--- the iPhone 5 tradein is an immediate credit, so it is at least somewhat likely that you will walk out of the store without having immediately spent any money, depending on how the iPhone 6 is priced and how much storage you want
- pay AT&T ETF on iPhone 5s and submit documentation to T-Mo
- T-Mo sends you ETF reimbursement

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I was going to buy the phones on Apple.com and just buy them, thus my "port later". Prefer to have the new phone in hand so that when my current device loses the number I'm ready to go.

Thanks for the help, I was on T-mo until I reluctantly left for the first iPhone. So excited to ditch AT&T.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Chemmy posted:

I was going to buy the phones on Apple.com and just buy them, thus my "port later". Prefer to have the new phone in hand so that when my current device loses the number I'm ready to go.

Thanks for the help, I was on T-mo until I reluctantly left for the first iPhone. So excited to ditch AT&T.

The only catch is T-Mo won't pay the ETF unless you buy the phone from them to match the line, so the only way this "phone in hand beforehand" thing works for you is if you then buy a phone from T-Mo anyway, then pay it off right away, get it unlocked, then flip it on a reputable resaler market immediately.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
So T-Mobile now offers their coverage for when you go overseas. That's great, but do you have to fiddle around with anything like APN settings and such to get data working and, or will it be fine if the APN settings in the phone are for the states?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

So T-Mobile now offers their coverage for when you go overseas. That's great, but do you have to fiddle around with anything like APN settings and such to get data working and, or will it be fine if the APN settings in the phone are for the states?

No fiddling required. It should just work. My brother went to Brazil for two months and didn't have to do anything.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Burden posted:

No fiddling required. It should just work. My brother went to Brazil for two months and didn't have to do anything.

Nice, but do you know if:

1) They pushed APN settings to him automatically? or:

2) He already had APN settings in for the States, and those same settings just continued to work? or:

3) He had to manually find and enter APN settings upon arrival in Brazil?

My girlfriend is going on a tour of Europe, so she'll be in a bunch of different countries and stuff. It would suck for her to have to enter different APN settings every time she sets foot in a new country...

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
As long as she's rebooted her phone since last October, she should be good.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

api call girl posted:

The only catch is T-Mo won't pay the ETF unless you buy the phone from them to match the line, so the only way this "phone in hand beforehand" thing works for you is if you then buy a phone from T-Mo anyway, then pay it off right away, get it unlocked, then flip it on a reputable resaler market immediately.

A coworker of mine bought a Nexus 5 from Google with the intent of porting from Sprint to T-Mobile. He also had a Galaxy Note he didn't want to trade in, and he wanted his Sprint ETF reimbursed.

He gave them a crappy dumbphone that sat at the bottom of his junk drawer to meet the requirement that you give them a phone. To meet the requirement that you buy a phone from them, he bought this $30 smartphone or something similarly stupid cheap. Worked out fine for him.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Kreeblah posted:

As long as she's rebooted her phone since last October, she should be good.

She's using n Verizon Galaxy s4 for her trip, which is unlocked. Every time she reboots her phone, it disables all APN settings and reinserts the default Verizon ones. That's why I'm trying to make this as pain free as possible.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I have a $72 (3/mo) flip phone I finance for people all the time w/ the ETF promotion when they're keeping their phones from ATT/Verizon.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I bought a T-Mobile SIM explicitly for the purpose of the international roaming for a trip I was on. Turned off airplane mode (iPhone 5S) when landing and it immediately connected, no reboot or APN changes required. I used it in all over Europe without any issues. In several countries, there were multiple carriers that T-Mobile supports and you could hit "Cellular" and select which network you wanted to connect to, some of them definitely seemed a little zippier than others.

And yeah, it is definitely throttled right at ~128kbps. Awesome for Google Maps, Yelp, travel info, and texting though. And if you visit multiple countries, it's way easier (and probably cheaper) than trying to find a new SIM card in each one.

tonic fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 19, 2014

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

Alright we consulted with a tmobile rep and it seems like we'll be going ahead with transferring to them. I have a question about their phone offerings now. My mom and my brother probably dont need a powerful phone, but im not familiar with their budget offerings. Are any of them ok? In the sub 100$ range. Im just super wary of recommending they get anything in that range because I dont want them having to deal with a bloated piece of crap thats going to break or be really slow and terrible.

edit: specifically what is the galaxy avant and light? The 200$ avant is probably within a good range for us too.

blackflare fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 19, 2014

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

blackflare posted:

Alright we consulted with a tmobile rep and it seems like we'll be going ahead with transferring to them. I have a question about their phone offerings now. My mom and my brother probably dont need a powerful phone, but im not familiar with their budget offerings. Are any of them ok? In the sub 100$ range. Im just super wary of recommending they get anything in that range because I dont want them having to deal with a bloated piece of crap thats going to break or be really slow and terrible.

Standard budget recommendations are the $130 Moto E, or the $180 - $220 Moto G, which I don't believe Tmo sells direct. Get them from amazon, best buy, etc.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I think we need to buy from tmobile for the etf payment. We also can't afford upfront costs really.

The avant sounds pretty ok from google reviews, and it works out to like 9$/month.

blackflare fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 19, 2014

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

blackflare posted:

edit: specifically what is the galaxy avant and light? The 200$ avant is probably within a good range for us too.

If you can find one the L90 is a good phone for $100 bucks right now. Best deal for lower end smartphones. We can't keep them in stock at my store.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Burden posted:

If you can find one the L90 is a good phone for $100 bucks right now. Best deal for lower end smartphones. We can't keep them in stock at my store.

Not the Moto E or a Lumia 521?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

FordPRefectLL posted:

I have a $72 (3/mo) flip phone I finance for people all the time w/ the ETF promotion when they're keeping their phones from ATT/Verizon.

I think the lovely flip phone I bought was only like $30. I got lucky and resold it here on SA Mart for like $25.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yeah, whatever's cheapest works.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="433758532"]
Not the Moto E or a Lumia 521?

I guess it just depends. T-Mobile doesn't sell the Moto E in stores and the L90 has a much bigger screen than the 521. Windows is fine, not a lot of people want a windows phone though. I use the Nokia 635 as my work phone and like it, but the L90 has a lot going for it.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

Thanks for all the responses.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

tonic posted:

I bought a T-Mobile SIM explicitly for the purpose of the international roaming for a trip I was on. Turned off airplane mode (iPhone 5S) when landing and it immediately connected, no reboot or APN changes required. I used it in all over Europe without any issues. In several countries, there were multiple carriers that T-Mobile supports and you could hit "Cellular" and select which network you wanted to connect to, some of them definitely seemed a little zippier than others.

And yeah, it is definitely throttled right at ~128kbps. Awesome for Google Maps, Yelp, travel info, and texting though. And if you visit multiple countries, it's way easier (and probably cheaper) than trying to find a new SIM card in each one.

Thanks a bunch for this information! :) sounds like it'll be pretty smooth for her. Only dumb thing is, is that her Verizon branded Galaxy s4 is programmed to automatically erase any APN that was manually entered upon reboot and replace it with the default Verizon one.

Any easy enough issue to solve by just writing down the T-Mobile APN for her in case she runs out of battery or the phone restarts for whatever other reason so she could just manually enter it in again.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Thanks a bunch for this information! :) sounds like it'll be pretty smooth for her. Only dumb thing is, is that her Verizon branded Galaxy s4 is programmed to automatically erase any APN that was manually entered upon reboot and replace it with the default Verizon one.

Any easy enough issue to solve by just writing down the T-Mobile APN for her in case she runs out of battery or the phone restarts for whatever other reason so she could just manually enter it in again.

It's literally just 'fast.t-mobile.com'. You don't have to bother setting up the MMSC as long as she's OK not getting MMS while overseas. Also, most Android phones (should) reset APNs based on the inserted SIM - have you put in a foreign SIM into the phone to make sure that it is overwriting everything? It likely is just going back to the Verizon-approved ones while there's a Verizon SIM in it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Bisty Q. posted:

It's literally just 'fast.t-mobile.com'. You don't have to bother setting up the MMSC as long as she's OK not getting MMS while overseas. Also, most Android phones (should) reset APNs based on the inserted SIM - have you put in a foreign SIM into the phone to make sure that it is overwriting everything? It likely is just going back to the Verizon-approved ones while there's a Verizon SIM in it.

I thought I remembered restarting the phone while the t-mobile sim was in it, and :google: shows other people complaining about the same thing but I'll check it out next time she's around.

Can someone link me to the correct t-mobile APN settings, btw? I found ones on forums that worked, but I wanna make sure they're legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
So, am I really dumb or is it really difficult to set up auto-pay when you're on the nerd plan? I keep trying to set it up and the website says that "AUTO PAY IS ON" but, every month, the system doesn't pay automatically and I have to do a manual payment. So then I go through the website again, double check my auto pay settings, and think I did it right. But then the next month, once again, it doesn't work. Am I missing something simple?