Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What's Bull Buchanan doing these days?

B2 RETURNS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

At this rate if they turned Cesaro face again and put him in a tag team he would get the American Males music and they'd be managed by Judy Bagwell.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gaz-L posted:

B2 RETURNS!

This guy knows what the gently caress is up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cromulent posted:

I was just recently reading comments from the writer that wrote (or at least attempted to write) Rey's championship run. He got undercut by Vince every day, with Vince saying "Who would ever believe Rey could beat Mark Henry??" "Nobody is gonna buy that he can beat Khali." etc. I wasn't watching at the time, but why the gently caress even put the belt on him in the first place?
The Invasion showed us that Vince is more than willing to throw away millions to orchestrate a self-fulfilling prophecy that proves he's "right" about what makes good wrestling.

fatherdog posted:

Cena is actually like the ideal tag team wrestler, he's a terrific face in peril and his Five Moves Of Doom are perfect off the hot tag. If they paired him with somebody interesting, gave them the tag titles, and let them hold them for like a year it would do a ton towards building the tag titles credibility, keep him away from the singles scene letting them build other people up, and result in a ton of great matches.

That probably won't happen, but man it would be a great idea.
I've been saying for like two years now that the best way to freshen Cena is to pair Juan Cena with Randy Orton as a lucha tag team.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
So, how does the Brock/Heyman alliance not end with Heyman slapping Brock and taking an F-5? Is there really any other possible outcome?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Cromulent posted:

I was just recently reading comments from the writer that wrote (or at least attempted to write) Rey's championship run. He got undercut by Vince every day, with Vince saying "Who would ever believe Rey could beat Mark Henry??" "Nobody is gonna buy that he can beat Khali." etc. I wasn't watching at the time, but why the gently caress even put the belt on him in the first place?

It's kind of amazing to me that Vince, the biggest purveyor of fake fighting in history, has zero tolerance for the "fast guy beats strong guy by being faster and smarter than him," trope. It's been a staple of fake fighting in literally every medium in which it exists from animation to video games. Has the man never seen a Kung-Fu movie in his life?

Also lets all remember that a few years after Rey's title reign of losing to big guys because it wasn't believable that he could defeat them Vince arranged for Floyd Mayweather to beat Big Show as Wrestlemania.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

natetimm posted:

So, how does the Brock/Heyman alliance not end with Heyman slapping Brock and taking an F-5? Is there really any other possible outcome?

Why would it ever end? Neither should be face, and both compliment each other too well to split up

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Have we ever had a thread for terrible backyard wrestling? We're sort of in a second golden age of it right now so it seems like I could put together a thread if there was interest.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Have we ever had a thread for terrible backyard wrestling? We're sort of in a second golden age of it right now so it seems like I could put together a thread if there was interest.

someone needs to make their weekly font announcement

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

We had that awesome Sir William Black thread like 5 years ago.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Interest!

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Fauxhawk Express posted:

We had that awesome Sir William Black thread like 5 years ago.

I still search for the Spinal Injury Montage video that disappeared from Youtube six years or so ago every so often, just in case it comes back.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If by "thread" you mean "youtube video of 400 pound men throwing chairs at each other" than go right ahead

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Blasmeister posted:

Why would it ever end? Neither should be face, and both compliment each other too well to split up

It always ends, and neither one really has to turn face for that to happen.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

There have been a few but with Hardcore Juvi trying to remove his videos from youtube and the ESW documentary never being posted in full we need a new one. I need new back yard heroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kstrtjFu-E4

That will forever be my favorite Back Yard Wrestling video.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

natetimm posted:

Why would you ever turn Brock face at this point?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sanguinia posted:

It's kind of amazing to me that Vince, the biggest purveyor of fake fighting in history, has zero tolerance for the "fast guy beats strong guy by being faster and smarter than him," trope. It's been a staple of fake fighting in literally every medium in which it exists from animation to video games. Has the man never seen a Kung-Fu movie in his life?

Also lets all remember that a few years after Rey's title reign of losing to big guys because it wasn't believable that he could defeat them Vince arranged for Floyd Mayweather to beat Big Show as Wrestlemania.

Like most things WWE, it most likely boils down to "Vince is insane."

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Was Jazz ever big in Japan? Watching her ECW stuff her style seems very Japanese to me. More Japanese guy than Japanese girl, but still.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

fatherdog posted:

This would actually be an incredible loving idea, and then when Cesaro had his Michaels/Janetty moment it would make him a megaheel with the kids and megaface with the smarks, which they could parlay any way they wanted it.

Cesaro would throw Cena through a brick wall (and onto some free-standing aluminum pipes)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

LobsterMobster posted:

(and onto some free-standing aluminum pipes)

It's annoying that WWE has drilled that sound into my head so much that I can hear it as soon as you say this haha.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Me too.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What would be the logical top candidates for Randy Orton's best match?

He's a talented guy who's hung around the upper card of WWE for years, but I'm having difficulty thinking of any truly great MOTY caliber matches he's had. I admittedly missed most of his career from mid 2006 - early 2010 though, so I might be missing something.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Thauros posted:

He's a talented guy who's hung around the upper card of WWE for years, but I'm having difficulty thinking of any truly great MOTY caliber matches he's had. I admittedly missed most of his career from mid 2006 - early 2010 though, so I might be missing something.

He's had a lot of fun matches that weren't on prominent shows, so they end up lost to time. He's had a fair amount of high profile clunkers too (vs HHH at Mania springs to mind).

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Thauros posted:

His hardcore match against Foley at Backlash 2004 was a thing of ugly beauty. So there's an early one right there.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I can't help but be bored out of my loving mind every single time Orton is on screen, regardless of what he's doing. The last thing I enjoyed was the RNN updates and that was over ten years ago.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

He's had a lot of fun matches that weren't on prominent shows, so they end up lost to time. He's had a fair amount of high profile clunkers too (vs HHH at Mania springs to mind).

Yeah, it's not like I'm saying the guy blows or anything. He's good at having fun TV matches like the one from a few months ago against Cesaro, but unlike Cena I can't think of anything he's done that's blown me away to the extent that I could rate it one of the best matches of the year.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thauros posted:

- The Foley Falls Count Anywhere Match
- vs. Benoit at Summerslam 04
- vs. Christian at Over the Limit & Summerslam 2011
- vs. Triple H, Last Man Standing....have no idea when this was
- Four way with Edge, Cena and HBK
- vs. Bryan & Batista at Mania XXX
- a good Raw match with Edge a long time ago
- I Quit match vs. Cena

He's been in some good chambers too if you want to count those.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I was there for the Benoit match so I'm biased towards that but I love those Christian matches too. I feel like there should be more of them though.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I can't help but be bored out of my loving mind every single time Orton is on screen, regardless of what he's doing. The last thing I enjoyed was the RNN updates and that was over ten years ago.
Right there with you. The Car-KO was the last thing he did that didn't bore me.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

I was there for the Benoit match so I'm biased towards that but I love those Christian matches too. I feel like there should be more of them though.

I'm sure there are. That's all I can think of though.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Orton is a guy who is really limited by WWE. His scripted promos suck and he's excellent at playing to the crowd.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The cage match vs Big Mizzark was great too, but let's be real, that was in no part due to Randy.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Good excuse to post this match again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccI9vWCS7UU

If that doesn't entertain you, nothing will.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You win this time, Germansimp...

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Orton is great. On the Jericho podcast he and Edge said that Orton was so good that he probably doesn't even know it. He made Reigns look fantastic by controlling every aspect of that match. He's great at controlling the flow and getting the crowd to build. The problem in his match with Reigns is that Reigns isn't very good at selling. Hell, Rusev is STILL selling that ankle and Reigns takes a match worth of damage and shrugs it off the moment he needs to stop.

I guess the thing is that Orton isn't a show stopper. He doesn't make the big moves, but he makes smaller, impactful, ones.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

DrVenkman posted:

I guess the thing is that Orton isn't a show stopper. He doesn't make the big moves, but he makes smaller, impactful, ones.

Orton did a few big moves in his most recent match with Reigns. He's actually a guy I think of when I think about "big spots in big matches". He busts out some incredible RKOs sometimes

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The cage match vs Big Mizzark was great too, but let's be real, that was in no part due to Randy.

Disagree totally. That isn't anywhere near as good without Randy's selling and the sense of total helplessness he brought.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Orton is a guy who is really limited by WWE. His scripted promos suck and he's excellent at playing to the crowd.

Is he ever. :allears:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

triplexpac posted:

Orton did a few big moves in his most recent match with Reigns. He's actually a guy I think of when I think about "big spots in big matches". He busts out some incredible RKOs sometimes

I think the RKO is one of the most adaptable moves, seeing as he can do it just about anywhere. Hell he can catch a guy in mid-air and do it. But he isn't a Cena with big crowd pleasing moves or even Reigns with his 5 moves. He's a 'wrestler' who doubles as a superstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Randy Orton owns pretty hard and I mark for the RKO. He is also a pretty good wrestler.