Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MrBigglesworth posted:

Since I am not going to pursue my MS track I have a few vouchers that will go to waste if I don't use them.

I would be interesting in selling them if anyone wants.

I have 3 and they were purchased for the 073-XXX track.

Should I sell here or go to SA Mart?

When do they expire, and do you need a .edu address to register for exams with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sickening posted:

Its 400 bucks now? Jesus christ comptia!

Hmmm, I am going to take the lousy Storage+ soon and last I checked it was like $285 or something (still not worth it).

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
They are good until the end of the year, and should work for any MS test.

You just need a valid email for confirmation as far as I am aware.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Passed ICND2, thankfully since I begin VCP with stanly tomorrow.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stupid Jang, release new RHCE7 stuff already :mad:

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
Anyone take CHFI before? Doesn't look like much study material is out there for it except a really old book.

Not happy with the EC Council right now. Apparently I did too well on the CEH exam and I'm being audited for it. Had to send along my resume and my study materials used. And now it might hold up getting into WGU until I get it approved for transcripts. Argh.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Martytoof posted:

Stupid Jang, release new RHCE7 stuff already :mad:

Yea, I'm feeling the same. Does Jang even have a website?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

That's the first I've heard of any exam audit, aren't the CEH exams proctored?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Yea, I'm feeling the same. Does Jang even have a website?

Not sure. I'm trying to find some way to reach him. I'm about to email the publisher of the older books to see if I can get any info.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
He replies sometimes on the linuxquestions forums,

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-certification-46/paging-micheal-jang-4175510796/

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

OhDearGodNo posted:

That's the first I've heard of any exam audit, aren't the CEH exams proctored?

Yeah, I took it at a PearsonVUE testing center. I guess I should have taken longer and answered things wrong :/

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Well, at least he's working on it? :shrug:

RHEL6 came out on Nov 10th 2011 and Jang's book came out June 17th 2011 - 7 months later. If we're going by the same math we'll see his updated book in January.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ehhhhh I plan to have RHCE by then. I guess I'll just have to cram it to do the December deadline for 6. Ah well.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Martytoof posted:

Ehhhhh I plan to have RHCE by then. I guess I'll just have to cram it to do the December deadline for 6. Ah well.

What are you cramming with?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's this deadline?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

1000101 posted:

What are you cramming with?

Jang's RHCE6 book.

Tab8715 posted:

What's this deadline?

December-something is the last day you can take the RHCE6 exam.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I finally did it. 917/1000 on CCNA 200-120. Been involved in Cisco material for about 4 years now including school and finally got some of the exam cost paid for by my employer. Also knocked it out just before school starts. Yay!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Compared to CCNA so far studying for VCP has been a cakewalk. Apparently etherchannel is considered "magic" to some admins?

Also, the class (stanly) is terrible. The labs are ok but half the course info is still configured for last semester's dates and are still locked.

Thankfully I got the better book recommended by a goon here and along with CBT/home lab I'm following the blueprint more closely.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

OhDearGodNo posted:

Compared to CCNA so far studying for VCP has been a cakewalk. Apparently etherchannel is considered "magic" to some admins?

It's also a bad Cisco-ism. Calling it link aggregation or 802.3ad or LACP makes it a lot less "magic" (yes, I know that Etherchannel marginally varies from these, but still).

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Coming straight off CCNA I'm full of them right now, at least until I expand further down my training path.

On that note while I'm studying VCP I realized how little I knew of SAN tech, and it's kind of important.

So to brush up I've grabbed the CBT nuggets for Storage+ to watch/listen to on my way home. The nuggets aren't all done (the last few are still under review so you have to dig around to find the set of videos) but if you can stand Anthony's almost pedantic tone they are worth a viewing.

To be honest I really like Jeremy Ciora's videos best out of all the CBT people. It's a shame be didn't do CCNA data center as that's my next track (then on to red hat or juniper)

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

OhDearGodNo posted:

Also, the class (stanly) is terrible. The labs are ok but half the course info is still configured for last semester's dates and are still locked.

Thankfully I got the better book recommended by a goon here and along with CBT/home lab I'm following the blueprint more closely.

Heh. I'm hoping my CCNA will be easier than my VCP. I barely passed that one.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Richard Noggin posted:

Heh. I'm hoping my CCNA will be easier than my VCP. I barely passed that one.

The biggest problem with CCNA is that the questions are often intentionally misleading unless read very carefully.

They often throw in words like "always" for things that may be almost always the case.

Bad example: ABRs should always have a passive interface from a stub.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm taking the MCTS Win 7 on Thursday. Any impressions of it? I feel like I'd be ready based on the labs I've done, bit figures it can't hurt to ask.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
My A+ 801 exam is tomorrow, wish me luck! Can't wait to get into the wonderful world of being a computer janitor! (no but really I'm super excited to enter the IT field)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bone posted:

My A+ 801 exam is tomorrow, wish me luck! Can't wait to get into the wonderful world of being a computer janitor! (no but really I'm super excited to enter the IT field)

Good luck, let us know how you did. Mine is about 3 weeks from now (closest date I could get).

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

SANS dudes, has anybody been to the 511 course yet or heard from somebody who has if it's any good?

https://www.sans.org/course/continuous-monitoring-security-operations

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

Eonwe posted:

I'm taking the MCTS Win 7 on Thursday. Any impressions of it? I feel like I'd be ready based on the labs I've done, bit figures it can't hurt to ask.
I did it recently and passed with 869. There were quite a few question areas that hadn't been covered completely in the practice exams I'd done or from the book I was working from, but I can't remember what they are right now. Overall, aside from panicking a little about those questions, it wasn't too difficult, and there were a few easy questions worth multiple marks. Be clear on subnetting (since it's a pretty easy question if it comes up), and know as much as you can on BranchCache, Scanstate and Loadstate, Windows ADK, group membership, as well as the basics of Group Policy and PowerShell.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
Anyone have a recommendation for ITIL practice tests that are close in difficulty to the real exam?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mouse Cadet posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for ITIL practice tests that are close in difficulty to the real exam?
Use the one on the official site.

http://www.itil-officialsite.com/Qualifications/ITILSamplePapers/ITILSamplePapers.aspx

Digitalpope
Feb 12, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

I've been working through the stanly classes as well, but it's making me twitch a little bit that the labs don't match up with the section that they're just finishing talking about. It hasn't been a big deal so far, but we're approaching the areas that I'm softest in, networking and storage. I'll have to try out the CBT ones with Scott Lowe's book and see how that goes. Thankfully, I've got a beefy enough pc to handle an autolab config, tops out at 6 ESXi hosts (if I chop the 5.1 hosts to 3gb/each).

That'd at least let me proceed at my own pace through the material....tired of spending time on things I already know from working with esx/vsphere for the last 5 years or so.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Good luck, let us know how you did. Mine is about 3 weeks from now (closest date I could get).

Passed! :D Now I just need to study for and take the 802 in a month or so. Such relief.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bone posted:

Passed! :D Now I just need to study for and take the 802 in a month or so. Such relief.

Nice! Did they seem to harp on any subjects in particular?

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Bone posted:

:golfclap: Well done. Passing stuff is a good feeling.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Nice! Did they seem to harp on any subjects in particular?

It seemed to be a pretty even spread. However it did feel like printers consisted of a little more than 11% of the exam.

internet jerk posted:

:golfclap: Well done. Passing stuff is a good feeling.

Thank you! I failed out of Uni a couple years ago, so it's definitely a big self esteem booster. I finally have some direction again!

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Digitalpope posted:

I've been working through the stanly classes as well, but it's making me twitch a little bit that the labs don't match up with the section that they're just finishing talking about. It hasn't been a big deal so far, but we're approaching the areas that I'm softest in, networking and storage. I'll have to try out the CBT ones with Scott Lowe's book and see how that goes. Thankfully, I've got a beefy enough pc to handle an autolab config, tops out at 6 ESXi hosts (if I chop the 5.1 hosts to 3gb/each).

That'd at least let me proceed at my own pace through the material....tired of spending time on things I already know from working with esx/vsphere for the last 5 years or so.

Glad I'm not the only one who felt it was out of order. It also doesn't help that the "instructor" reads the powerpoint verbatim and sometimes can't even pronounce some of the items properly. When others here said this alone won't prepare you to pass, there weren't kidding.

I'm supplementing by working my way through the Lowe book, and I'll probably watch the CBT videos later on down the road.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I took the 70-410 today. I knew I'd been studying hard because when the proctor complained about how many passwords she had to remember, I immediately thought "Fine Grained Password Policies can be enabled on domains that have a functional level of 2008 or above."

I passed, but it was close.

Anyone have recent experience with the 411 or 412?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

penga86 posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who felt it was out of order. It also doesn't help that the "instructor" reads the powerpoint verbatim and sometimes can't even pronounce some of the items properly. When others here said this alone won't prepare you to pass, there weren't kidding.

I'm supplementing by working my way through the Lowe book, and I'll probably watch the CBT videos later on down the road.

There's a CBT for it that's better in terms of video.

Also the CBT for storage+ is finished (the PC in the video has a date of 8/25/14 so it's *just* finished.

It is very good in getting SAN info down which is also very helpful for the VCP. It covers things like iSCSI and FCoE for example.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I took the 70-410 today. I knew I'd been studying hard because when the proctor complained about how many passwords she had to remember, I immediately thought "Fine Grained Password Policies can be enabled on domains that have a functional level of 2008 or above."

I passed, but it was close.

Anyone have recent experience with the 411 or 412?

No, but I have the 410 on my list for next year. How hard was it?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vintimus Prime posted:

No, but I have the 410 on my list for next year. How hard was it?

The questions were very detail oriented. Lots of questions asking you which powershell commandlet would be used.
Maybe it'd have been easier if I used 2012 at work but I'm having to base everything off my lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The questions were very detail oriented. Lots of questions asking you which powershell commandlet would be used.
Maybe it'd have been easier if I used 2012 at work but I'm having to base everything off my lab.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'm in the sand boat.