Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

teagone posted:

He already has a Roku 3, looking to get another or a Roku Streaming Stick.

Do you absolutely need another Roku 3 right now? I'd personally wait a little bit to see what Android TV devices pan out in the next couple of months.

We are talking about waiting until Christmas (in order to see if another Roku comes out). I can wait though.

Back to another question I asked: Is there anyway to watch Direct Tv live stream (using Hopper with sling and the slingplayer channel) from a Roku device similar to what you can do from an Ipad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
Is there a consensus on the best DVR solution for over the air TV these days? I really like the idea of the Channelmaster DVR+, but not so much the idea that it only hooks up to one TV. A whole-home DVR would be preferable. I'm fine with homebrewing something since I have some spare computer parts laying around, but since the HTPC thread OP is a bit out of date, I'm a bit lost on two points in particular:

-Is there a particular model of TV tuner I should get (or avoid)?
-Would I need additional software for that tuner to receive a channel guide in order to schedule recordings? Would said software play well with Plex, XBMC, and the like?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Slippery42 posted:

Is there a consensus on the best DVR solution for over the air TV these days? I really like the idea of the Channelmaster DVR+, but not so much the idea that it only hooks up to one TV. A whole-home DVR would be preferable. I'm fine with homebrewing something since I have some spare computer parts laying around, but since the HTPC thread OP is a bit out of date, I'm a bit lost on two points in particular:

-Would I need additional software for that tuner to receive a channel guide in order to schedule recordings? Would said software play well with Plex, XBMC, and the like?

Windows media center.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Slippery42 posted:

The HD Homeruns are really nice network-attached tuners. You don't need the Prime unless you REALLY want three tuner capability (the big draw of that model is that is has a CableCard slot).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Spring for the Plus model also since it does internal h264 transcoding

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

My father is looking at retiring soon and they're paying something ridiculous like $170 a month for a regular tv channel lineup (no movie channels), phone and mediocre internet with Cablevision. He is kind of stubborn in his ways and enjoys the background noise of a bunch of reality type tv shows like Top Chef, America's Got Talent, Man vs. Food and some occasional sports. He DVRs everything so he can skip through commercials but he very much likes the ease of switching back and forth between channels and not having to worry about actually searching for anything.

I think he mostly just uses the tv for background noise while he plays candy crush and card games on his laptop all day so honestly I don't think the offerings need to be that huge but rather it just needs to be easy to flip through altering forms of background noise with the occasional ability to watch the sports he wants to watch which is mostly golf and football.

If there's something that's good for this right out of the box then great but I have no qualms about building something myself, I just haven't a single clue about any of the cable offerings or their equivalents since I stick to movies and HBO series.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

aw yiss posted:

My father is looking at retiring soon and they're paying something ridiculous like $170 a month for a regular tv channel lineup (no movie channels), phone and mediocre internet with Cablevision. He is kind of stubborn in his ways and enjoys the background noise of a bunch of reality type tv shows like Top Chef, America's Got Talent, Man vs. Food and some occasional sports. He DVRs everything so he can skip through commercials but he very much likes the ease of switching back and forth between channels and not having to worry about actually searching for anything.

I think he mostly just uses the tv for background noise while he plays candy crush and card games on his laptop all day so honestly I don't think the offerings need to be that huge but rather it just needs to be easy to flip through altering forms of background noise with the occasional ability to watch the sports he wants to watch which is mostly golf and football.

If there's something that's good for this right out of the box then great but I have no qualms about building something myself, I just haven't a single clue about any of the cable offerings or their equivalents since I stick to movies and HBO series.

Maybe something like XBMC/PseudoTV and a cheap Roku with Hulu Plus?

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 24, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Honestly I don't think there's much out there for background or mindless TV stuff. Everything is designed with the manta of on-demand as opposed to just seeing what's on.

If he's fine with OTA channels that might satisfy the itch but even I keep cable around to drop into DIY and watch whatever backyard crashers show is on.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Slippery42 posted:

This just got announced and is probably worth a look:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/25/tivo-roamio-ota-dvr/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Maneki Neko posted:

This just got announced and is probably worth a look:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/25/tivo-roamio-ota-dvr/

The roamio OTA doesn't support whole home. You need the base model roamio and then a bunch of tivo minis which all require their own monthly fee.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Has anyone used the internet only NFL Sunday ticket in the past? Thinking about purchasing it, but reading online there seem to be lots of complaints about poor video quality and buffering issues.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

tonic posted:

Has anyone used the internet only NFL Sunday ticket in the past? Thinking about purchasing it, but reading online there seem to be lots of complaints about poor video quality and buffering issues.

I used it last year and it worked pretty well. Only real issue I had was the first week it was overloaded but after that first week it worked well. I would imagine this year will be better because their isn't a Madden deal.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

tonic posted:

As long as you have decent internet its good. My brother in law had it and switched to clearwire (lol) and it was not good.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Don Lapre posted:

The roamio OTA doesn't support whole home. You need the base model roamio and then a bunch of tivo minis which all require their own monthly fee.
Also doesn't seem to have a lifetime sub price so enjoy paying Tivo $180 a year every year for the rest of your life.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Do you mean that limited Sunday Ticket dealie that applies only to people in univeristies and apparently san francisco?

or NFL Gamepass, through a VPN or other unblocker?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

Do you mean that limited Sunday Ticket dealie that applies only to people in univeristies and apparently san francisco?

or NFL Gamepass, through a VPN or other unblocker?

Yeah, the limited Sunday Ticket. I think it works in other areas as well though? I live in the South Bay and it says I qualify.. Maybe because I'm in a condo that doesn't allow satellite?

Does anyone know if the iPad/iPhone app for it supports Airplay? There is a lot of mixed info on this.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've been using NFL Game Pass (live in the US) for preseason with Adfreetime as my DNS servers and it has been great, especially with Chromecast.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Gyshall posted:

I've been using NFL Game Pass (live in the US) for preseason with Adfreetime as my DNS servers and it has been great, especially with Chromecast.

Yeah this is the way to go, for sure.

Screw that Sunday Ticket crap.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Is Game Pass live during the regular season though? I'm fine with using a VPN, but if you have to wait until the game is over with, then I don't really see the point.

EDIT: Oh, I'm guessing you have to use a VPN or foreign DNS servers to sign up as well? Seems like the only thing available is NFL Rewind using a US connection.

tonic fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 28, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Use Hola unblocker to get to NFL.com from the netherlands/afghanistan or some other place. Buy subscription, use REP15 as the promo code (rich eisen's podcast) and then you should be good.

I use Adfreetime as my DNS anyway so I don't need to be connected to hola/vpn during games.

All I really want is HD redzone so,

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Use Hola unblocker to get to NFL.com from the netherlands/afghanistan or some other place. Buy subscription, use REP15 as the promo code (rich eisen's podcast) and then you should be good.

I use Adfreetime as my DNS anyway so I don't need to be connected to hola/vpn during games.

This. Follow this. Thats all there is to it. Adfreetime is 2 bucks a month and unlocks everything.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Gozinbulx posted:

This. Follow this. Thats all there is to it. Adfreetime is 2 bucks a month and unlocks everything.

So, did they fix it? I did this last year and then around 6 or so weeks in the whole thing got shut down.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
He (and I) is not referring to the Dutch connection workaround from last year. We mean to PAY for the service and use a VPN/unblocker to simply watch it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah if you sign up for Game Pass from the Netherlands/Overseas you can get the package on your account.

The free thing last year was awesome but this is not that. It is still about $120 USD all things considered.

Like I said, I just want redzone.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

So I somehow was ignorant of exactly what slingbox actually did until today and thought it was local network only. Am I correct in understanding that if I rent an extra cable box for my mom's directv subscription that I can basically stream cable off her subscription to my home? How well does it work?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

IRQ posted:

So I somehow was ignorant of exactly what slingbox actually did until today and thought it was local network only. Am I correct in understanding that if I rent an extra cable box for my mom's directv subscription that I can basically stream cable off her subscription to my home? How well does it work?

Yes, how well it works depends on her connection. Keep in mind you may bog down her connection or if she has monthly bandwidth limits you may destroy them.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Ah, I see. If it is only 120 I may look in to that. I thought it was closer to 350 or so. Thanks for the info.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Don Lapre posted:

Yes, how well it works depends on her connection. Keep in mind you may bog down her connection or if she has monthly bandwidth limits you may destroy them.

How well does the remote DVR stuff work? To be more precise, how well does the slingbox interface with the cable box's DVR interface? I know it uses IR blaster poo poo so it's at least slightly dodgy and obviously internet lag; I know not to expect it to be great, but I would like it to work.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

IRQ posted:

How well does the remote DVR stuff work? To be more precise, how well does the slingbox interface with the cable box's DVR interface? I know it uses IR blaster poo poo so it's at least slightly dodgy and obviously internet lag; I know not to expect it to be great, but I would like it to work.

As long as someone doesn't unstick the IR blasters, it should work just fine.

The main thing thats going to be dodgy is your mother's upload speed, which almost all residential ISP's set ridiculous low cause hey, who needs to SEND stuff, right?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Gyshall posted:

Thanks for this, got it setup and actually watched a bit of preseason last night.

I was trying to stream over airplay last night but was getting some lag at the highest bandwidth setting, is there any lag using a Chromecast? Maybe I'll have to pick one up.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have to use the regular 720 setting for Chromecast, even on a wired device tab-casting.

Apparently the Game Pass android app was going to have Chromecast support, but I haven't seen it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2396056 is where I had to sideload the APK from

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I wish Dish with Sling had a way to work with the Slingplayer channel.

:( Oh well

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Any way to get the nfl gamepass app working on a US ipad? Using VPN to use gamepass on my PC and same DNS settings on the ipad.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

supersteve posted:

Any way to get the nfl gamepass app working on a US ipad? Using VPN to use gamepass on my PC and same DNS settings on the ipad.

pretty sure you can set a static dns on the ipad, i could be wrong

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The iPad probably checks your actual GPS location when you boot up the app.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

I used this to download the NFL gamepass app since it's not available in the US store l:

http://help.unotelly.com/support/solutions/articles/59837-how-to-register-a-free-span-class-match-itunes-span-account-without-a-credit-card

Now that I have the app it seems to work without using a DNS trick. Watched a full preseason game the other day without it. Also for some reason the iPad can do full 1080p over airplay without any lag even though my iMac with an i7 stutters at the same bitrate. Makes zero sense.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

tonic posted:

I used this to download the NFL gamepass app since it's not available in the US store l:

http://help.unotelly.com/support/solutions/articles/59837-how-to-register-a-free-span-class-match-itunes-span-account-without-a-credit-card

Now that I have the app it seems to work without using a DNS trick. Watched a full preseason game the other day without it. Also for some reason the iPad can do full 1080p over airplay without any lag even though my iMac with an i7 stutters at the same bitrate. Makes zero sense.

Got it working with the help of that link, thanks.

Now if I only could chromecast it from the app.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gozinbulx posted:

As long as someone doesn't unstick the IR blasters, it should work just fine.

The main thing thats going to be dodgy is your mother's upload speed, which almost all residential ISP's set ridiculous low cause hey, who needs to SEND stuff, right?

I'd just be setting up another cable box in her basement, so nobody would ever really mess with it but me or mice.

Her upsteam is actually pretty decent, FiOS is very good about that. I know I was pushing 400-500k or more up on a low tier subscription at her place before. If I have to bump that up for a few bucks I don't mind too much; that and renting another DVR cable box is way cheaper than the $150/mo cable would cost me here. The rub is that she will probably want to get my sister the same setup, which will definitely require way more bandwidth.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have the AmazonBasics High Performance Antenna? I don't have an option to run a cable outside of my condo to set up something outdoors, but don't want to miss on football Sundays. I checked my house and it's supposed to get great reception but I don't know what that means for indoor antennas. This is the one I'm looking at:
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...eywords=antenna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
If you live inside a city and can put it in a window should be fine.

Got an amazon fire and really like it. Hoping that the cable internet info will allow for espon without checking if I have cable. Might see if I can setup my parents account and use that otherwise.