Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Filthy Monkey posted:

When I tried it before, after defending the dark castle from the three heroes, or whatever it was, it sent me off to some land where I had to kill three light dudes. There were no trash enemies around there to level up on, or anything. They were way too powerful, unless you constantly died to whittle them down. Is it more complete than that now, or was I just doing something wrong?

All you had to do was to kill one small enemy pack I think, then you'll be asked to teleport back to the Shelter to continue on with the quest.

Was Amelie weak in magic? I remember stomping through Crossworlds with ridiculous damage magic, including one which just aimed all enemies (dark vortex?). The Vampire isn't quite that standard yet, but he still feels strong enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

They were way too powerful, unless you constantly died to whittle them down. Is it more complete than that now, or was I just doing something wrong?

That was the end of the tutorial, where you're checking out Blackie's power. You're just supposed to kill one of the three wandering troops on the coastline, then you can freely teleport back via Blackie's conversation menu to get on with the game itself. That island's purposefully sparse because it's an endgame area you're just visiting for a bit.

The troops are pretty rough for that part of the game, but if you make sure you check out everything on the first map you should have a couple rank 4/rank 5 troops to help, not to mention that the homestead might have some simple troops for you to stock up on.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Finally got it, downloading now.

I know generally you'll be using 'your' type of unit - the vampire will use undead, the demoness will use demons, etc. Is there any cross-classing going on - can I pick up the others like I would have gotten elves or dwarves in Armoured Princess? Or are they completely separate army builds except for neutral units like dragons? I like demons but I also like magic so I'm wondering if I should just play the demoness or the vampire (and pick up demons when possible).

Also, what are prisoners?

Prism fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 19, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yes, you have access to all the types of troop as you like. And you'll find 'corrupted' versions of other stuff so you can pick up Evil Black Knights. Also, a whole lot of dragons.

Prisoners are a resource you'll receive after destroying any human troops. They're used back at base to pay for a bunch of bits of research.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Stelas posted:

Yes, you have access to all the types of troop as you like. And you'll find 'corrupted' versions of other stuff so you can pick up Evil Black Knights. Also, a whole lot of dragons.

Prisoners are a resource you'll receive after destroying any human troops. They're used back at base to pay for a bunch of bits of research.

Excellent, thanks. I'll probably start with the demoness to see how 'paladins' are different now and grab the mage boosters too, provided this lets them cast OK.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

So I've got all the currently released games in this series but I've never managed to play through one all the way. Would you say Crossworlds is the best option for first completion?

Also, vaguely related, today's free app on the Amazon Android app store is Heroes: A Grail Quest, which is as far as I can tell basically the original King's Bounty.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Woebin posted:

So I've got all the currently released games in this series but I've never managed to play through one all the way. Would you say Crossworlds is the best option for first completion?

Also, vaguely related, today's free app on the Amazon Android app store is Heroes: A Grail Quest, which is as far as I can tell basically the original King's Bounty.

kings bounty, and armored princess/crossworlds can be played in whatever order you like.
the asset re-use in the game series is a good running joke.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If you intend to play through all of them, I'd go through them in order of release because one of the few major changes that they do is minor UI improvements and skill tree rebalances which will be annoying if you start on a newer one and then go back.

If you're only going to play one, play Crossworlds.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Kanos posted:

If you intend to play through all of them, I'd go through them in order of release because one of the few major changes that they do is minor UI improvements and skill tree rebalances which will be annoying if you start on a newer one and then go back.

If you're only going to play one, play Crossworlds.
I've given them all a bunch of hours of play time in the past in order of release, so I already have the anticipated UI problems regarding the old ones. Figure I'll go for Crossworlds now and actually try to finish it this time.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Okay its released, downloading now, will keep you all updated

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm probably going to wait for this one to inevitably drop down to 5 bux, but please share your impressions when you do finish a playthrough. I jumped on early with WOTN and posted a glowing trip report during the beginning parts, but started to regret it by the time I reached the middle and definitely felt ripped off when I finally beat it.

Early access players seem to be positive about this one, though.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
The title screen is really low rent and lmao

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Remember how a lot of people described the opening map as "really empty?" I assumed this was going to get filled out after Beta. Nope.

Just a few encounters and I'm not literally tripping over the miniscule powerups, scrolls, gold, occasional rune and spider eggs here.

Wait for the $5 on this one, this just feels like a cheap mod so far.

(EDIT) Wow, forget what I said, avoid this at all costs. The second level is literally lined with 40+ spider eggs along the walls and no other pick ups. Also, had a nice hard crash of the program.

Malek fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 20, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Malek posted:

(EDIT) Wow, forget what I said, avoid this at all costs. The second level is literally lined with 40+ spider eggs along the walls and no other pick ups. Also, had a nice hard crash of the program.

As I mentioned upthread somewhere, this is because you're not actually in the game yet. You're still in a prologue which is basically all running away, and it's the game trying to make sure you have enough troops to deal with anything regardless of how bad you are. Once you're past the prologue it's a fully-fledged KB game, it just has a rather cack-handed start. Proceed directly to dwarftown and then on to the actual game and it'll improve a lot.

I've been lucky with crashes, I guess, I haven't had a single one.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Malek posted:

Remember how a lot of people described the opening map as "really empty?" I assumed this was going to get filled out after Beta. Nope.

Just a few encounters and I'm not literally tripping over the miniscule powerups, scrolls, gold, occasional rune and spider eggs here.

Wait for the $5 on this one, this just feels like a cheap mod so far.

You literally played the game for 5 minutes and are saying it's not worth it. Give it an hour and come back. It was already pointed out that those first zones are designed to be empty for new players, and all the spider eggs are so new players don't run out of troops getting out of the newbie zone. You've got to go maybe through 5 or 6 maps until you actually start the game.

WYA posted:

The title screen is really low rent and lmao

Did you mean the game menu screen that comes up when you start the game, etc.? That changes as you add NPCs to your party. The art isn't great but it's not low rent.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 20, 2014

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

PaybackJack posted:

You literally played the game for 5 minutes and are saying it's not worth it. Give it an hour and come back. It was already pointed out that those first zones are designed to be empty for new players, and all the spider eggs are so new players don't run out of troops getting out of the newbie zone. You've got to go maybe through 5 or 6 maps until you actually start the game.

Fair enough, and it was a painful 20 minutes with a horrible first impression but I'll give it the 5th map transition.

Just god drat that's a lovely way to start a sequel.

(Edit) Just seems weird to change up a sequel from... What? 4 games? To an intro island with minimal to no content asides a few encounters.

Malek fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 20, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The first 'real' continent is very obvious. You'll have a brief stopover in a big empty white continent but that's supposed to just be the holy seat of power or something like that. The Shelter also looks dull but will expand as you go through the game, cosmetically and otherwise.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Yeah, I think they could have made the intro zones a bit more skippable but and I was sad that the "end game zone" never got more developed but oh well. It could have been cool if the first time you go to the end game zone there's all sorts of cool spires and what-not but by the end of the game once you go back then it's empty. Ahh well, still a great game with some awesome future potential in sequels.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I love the idea of playing the villain but the King's Bounty games are so much alike and I've already played the original, Armored Princess and Warriors of the north. I'm not sure I can take another run through.

How are you guys liking it so far? Are you satisfied with the additions? Which ones do you like?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

How are you guys liking it so far? Are you satisfied with the additions? Which ones do you like?
Well the time spent before the game actually begins is a horrible tedious slog that lasts well over an hour with the aesthetics of a lovely half-assed mod but I've just finished the first real island and it wasn't too bad. However it does suffer from that the whole place is spent just fighting the same group of enemies over and over with no real variation on what enemy troops are present. Oh, and the whole evil using evil creatures is kinda crappy too. There's a very low choice of fun creatures (demons and such) but instead the first island now has a lot of stores selling... the normal human troops except they have new evil sounding names but mechanically they are exactly the same. It's... not that great to be honest. Maybe buy it on sale, or if it gets better further on. :sigh:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Poil posted:

Well the time spent before the game actually begins is a horrible tedious slog that lasts well over an hour with the aesthetics of a lovely half-assed mod but I've just finished the first real island and it wasn't too bad. However it does suffer from that the whole place is spent just fighting the same group of enemies over and over with no real variation on what enemy troops are present. Oh, and the whole evil using evil creatures is kinda crappy too. There's a very low choice of fun creatures (demons and such) but instead the first island now has a lot of stores selling... the normal human troops except they have new evil sounding names but mechanically they are exactly the same. It's... not that great to be honest. Maybe buy it on sale, or if it gets better further on. :sigh:

As has been mentioned your Shelter grows in it's troops as you progress in the game, you can always teleport back to shelter and the first unlock for your "barracks" gives you plenty of troops in tiers 1-4. The "dark/corrupted/whatever" troops are not a necessity for anyone, it was just a way to give players the option of using those troops if they wish. I went the whole game without using them except for on a throwaway battle where I expected to take heavy losses.

-Blackadder- posted:

I love the idea of playing the villain but the King's Bounty games are so much alike and I've already played the original, Armored Princess and Warriors of the north. I'm not sure I can take another run through.

As mentioned above by the people complaining this feels like a mod, every game after the first one has essentially just been a mod of it. If you're not looking for more of the same that you got from the other 3 games, then go right ahead and skip this one. This series is pretty clearly for people who just want more of the same on new maps with some new variation in plot and structure each time around.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

PaybackJack posted:

As mentioned above by the people complaining this feels like a mod, every game after the first one has essentially just been a mod of it. If you're not looking for more of the same that you got from the other 3 games, then go right ahead and skip this one. This series is pretty clearly for people who just want more of the same on new maps with some new variation in plot and structure each time around.

I don't recall any of the predecessors having this many fetch and go quests with so much back tracking (Every loving smuggler in this game ever.) not to mention some of the levels are lacking in attention to details and pick ups while other have a decent amount.

You are right, this game did take some getting into and I'm ... KINDA into it but it's lacking in good execution.

If Armored Princess / King's Bounty are the best of the series, Warriors of the North is Mediocre then this is probably "below average" and semi enjoyable - but Jim Christ this is having some major loving tedium.

Over all, it's a really decent concept but it needs some polish.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Malek posted:

If Armored Princess / King's Bounty are the best of the series, Warriors of the North is Mediocre then this is probably "below average" and semi enjoyable - but Jim Christ this is having some major loving tedium.

I'd agree with that. I think AP is probably the best of the series. I liked this one the most because I really enjoyed the plotline and being able to play around with the Orc/Demon/Undead units right from the beginning. I liked a lot of the level design but I did feel like there were a lot of areas that felt 'unfinished' not because they were unfinished but because the rewards for their exploration were nil. On the subject of the fetch quests, I didn't really mind those since I think the intent was for them to be done as you went through the levels and bounced around the islands naturally but because of how some of them worked you might not get back to NPC A for a long time which meant by the time you got back to him and got the next leg of the quest you had to retread a bunch of cleared zones. I'm willing to forgive the flawed execution because they were willing to try something new. Obviously the Shelter could have been so much more but it's functional and new if not as nice as it could have looked or as deep.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
Tacking on one other thing, I do also want to talk about quest vagueness mainly in the journal portion. There is a lot of things you have to just ... outright memorize in terms of profession but it would be nice if the quest log was less vague.

Will play this to the end but I'm going to half to chalk this one up as "meh" instead of positive.

Now if only I could remember where I buy Ent Sprouts

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Malek posted:

Now if only I could remember where I buy Ent Sprouts

Benefit of not playing this during the early access: there are multiple guaranteed spots to buy Ent Sprouts, Spider Eggs, Snake Eggs and Dragonfly Eggs. I got stuck on the Spider Web quest when I was playing because there was no where to buy spider eggs and I only had 80 of the drat things when I figured out what I needed to do to complete the quest.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you click on the map you can leave a short note to remember locations to buy stuff. Provided of course that you know you're going to need it later on.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Poil posted:

If you click on the map you can leave a short note to remember locations to buy stuff. Provided of course that you know you're going to need it later on.

Buy Everything
Sell Nothing

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
Side note: ... Really?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Malek posted:

Side note: ... Really?

Ahaha, that owns.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
If somebody doesn't own this game yet is somehow still reading this thread, it's in a bundle for $4.
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/valhalla-bundle

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So I gather that if I wanted to play one King's Bounty game I should pick Crossworlds? Any obvious wrong choices in dragons and classes?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, crossworlds is probably the best king's bounty game. As for classes, Warrior is probably the easiest to use, though all three are fine. Choice of dragon color is super minor in the grand scheme of the game. If you have to min-max it, yellow is pretty good for the +2% crit. Other than that, you could consider picking one to match your class. Maybe pick red for +5 rage if you are a warrior, and so on.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Played this one the same as I do all the others: use the doublearmy cheat in the console to eliminate the whole army management and going back to replenish stocks bit of the game. I still only use units I find or buy but get so sick of replenishing all the time. Another great game in the series. The viking units are very fun and some of the synergies with the hero powers are cool. My best army was rune priests, black dragons, ice dragons, ogres and the succubus who was used simply to swap the ogres into the middle of the enemy army.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Appreciate the advice. I started the Orc campaign since it seems to be the same except with orcs. It still feels like I might be missing some game basics. Is there any place to park your units? Between losses and leadership growth I I often end up with halve full stacks of rarer units and nothing to replenish them with. Using chaff units instead seems to lead to even higher replacement costs.
Also would the game prompt me if a character would be recruit able? I've been having the the pirate along after I stopped using pirates.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 2, 2015

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

genericnick posted:

Appreciate the advice. I started the Orc campaign since it seems to be the same except with orcs. It still feels like I might be missing some game basics. Is there any place to park your units? Between losses and leadership growth I I often end up with halve full stacks of rarer units and nothing to replenish them with. Using chaff units instead seems to lead to even higher replacement costs.
Also would the game prompt me if a character would be recruit able? I've been having the the pirate along after I stopped using pirates.

That's kinda how it's designed to get you to rotate units around, you can park units in castles there's little spots to drag them to also there is an up arrow near your unit list that has 2 spots to store units as well. It's possible to miss recruitable dudes just look up a guide there's only like half a dozen. Also early game focus very hard on winning fights with 0 losses you get a huge leadership boost after X number of wins from the medal.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
You can stash a couple of stacks at most friendly/defeated castles, sometimes only after you've done some story thing there. You can also unlock an ability to keep a couple of stacks in "reserve" that you carry with you but are not in the fight. How many of unit x is available in your game is extremely random, so you should find a high-number of something decent eventually, not just 3x good units and 10k crap units. I usually rely a lot on different levels of bears in the early game. They hit hard and they're pretty reliably available at the viking ship locations.

I don't remember if it tells you someone is recruitable when you already have a follower. Check a FAQ for the list of followers and see who you want. It's not like this is a really story-driven game so who cares about lite spoilers?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Well, I feel stupid now. That makes everything much more convenient.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Anybody know if someone has made the army refill mod for Dark Side yet? The official forums are so bad there isn't even a Dark Side section.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
The official forums are straight out of 1997

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I asked in the steam thread, but does anyone here have any potential fixes for this stupid error I haven't tried? '.\BMRender\rmode.cpp(2590): DirectX call failed: -1, -1, D3DERR_INVALIDCALL'

Get it on both The Legend and Crossworlds, and I've tried editing the .ini file, reinstalling Direct X, you name it. Only thing I haven't tried is rolling back my drivers, because I'm worried it'll keep me from playing other games, plus my card is a bit old. I'm on a 64 bit system, and it seems like these games don't like that much? Think I should just throw in the towel?

• Locked thread