Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Under Pressure is a cool book but I agree that ultimately it's not terribly useful as a first SV book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chemmy posted:

Under Pressure is a cool book but I agree that ultimately it's not terribly useful as a first SV book.
If feel the same way about Myhrvold. There's this tendency to concentrate on fiddly showcase poo poo instead of the straightforward nuts and bolts stuff like you see in e.g. Baldwin's book. I mean the recipes in a book by Keller or Myhrvold or say Blumenthal are way the gently caress more impressive but you're better of learning the basic drill before you wade into the glossy photo, coffee table book poo poo.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I agree about a Under Pressure. It's interesting but not a go to daily kind of resource. I like what the Serious Eats Food Lab did with their Sous Vide 101 series of posts. I will refer to that for times and temperatures when doing something quick and easy. I don't have MC @Home but I do have the full version and I refer to it quite a lot. The best bets tables for sous vide are really useful to me and I have only done two recipes straight out of the books. For me it is a more useful reference. As for recipes, the short ribs are amazing and worth doing once. Forget about coring carrots, try pulling strands of microwaved beef apart.

I wonder if something like the Joy of Cooking will get an update for modern home cooks. That would be a book I went to every week at least.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Douglas Baldwin's stuff is super good in terms of knowing how to not be insane about safety. Also there's a free in-depth primer online.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Thanks guys, this is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. I was thinking that Under Pressure was more of a primer/reference on sous vide techniques and times etc., so I'll probably sit tight on it based on your feedback.

I still have the Alinea cookbook floating around which I've cooked exactly one recipe from; I don't really feel like making that mistake again.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

deimos posted:

You are doing yourself a disservice if you do not do the carrot cake in Under Pressure. First time I did it it took me the longer part of a day (I did everything including the cinnamon ice cream).

It's absolutely loving delicious and perfect while being a relatively reasonable recipe.

P.S. Don't core your carrots after the first time you do it.
P.P.S. gently caress coring carrots.

Could you post the recipe? I love a good carrot cake and this sounds really interesting

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Next contestant in the race for a reasonably priced immersion circulator: the Wifi-enabled Nomiku

Pre-order one for $149 here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/new-nomiku-sous-vide-wifi-connected-and-made-in-th

edit: 4 inches between the min and max lines, and made in the USA! I think they learned some lessons following their headaches in the Chinese factory.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 12, 2014

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Nomiku pretty much had to update their product because nobody in their right mind would buy it with all the alternatives available now. I still think the new Anova design with the adjustable collar is probably the most versatile.

I'm not really sure the glut of sous vide immersion circulators is going to do much to make sous vide more mainstream. I don't know what that's going to take, though that new goon product with the built-in cooler is an interesting addition to the market. I kind of wish IC manufacturers would put some effort into designing suitable cooking containers to use with their products. I love the versatility of being able to use a tiny or huge container with my Anova as required, but the SVS is a much more kitchen consumer-friendly product. I don't think a lot of people want a stock pot or cooler sitting on their counter, and most people don't end up using insulated containers.

PenUltimateWarrior
Nov 1, 2009

:siren:TEAR DOWN THE COCKPIT DOOR, HO KOGAN:siren:

Safety Dance posted:

Next contestant in the race for a reasonably priced immersion circulator: the Wifi-enabled Nomiku

Pre-order one for $149 here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/new-nomiku-sous-vide-wifi-connected-and-made-in-th

edit: 4 inches between the min and max lines, and made in the USA! I think they learned some lessons following their headaches in the Chinese factory.

Looks to be a pretty decent product, I would look at getting involved but they don't ship internationally. Doesn't the name of their app 'Tender' sound a little close to 'Tinder'. Unless they play on that fact and I can start left and right swiping recipes.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
It just seems like the nomiku team saw the comments on the Anova about wifi and ran with it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

PenUltimateWarrior posted:

Doesn't the name of their app 'Tender' sound a little close to 'Tinder'.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Thanks for the tip earlier in the thread. The "party stacker" really is a nice size.

I've thought about notching the side so Anova will sit lower. If I wanted more capacity, I could always move it to the opposite, un-notched corner and rotate the lid 180 degrees. Maybe it's better to keep the whole black portion of the Anova with its electronics up and out of humidity. Still undecided.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 13, 2014

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

eddiewalker posted:

Thanks for the tip earlier in the thread. The "party stacker" really is a nice size.

What size is that?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Phanatic posted:

What size is that?

The "20 can." I looked really hard to find one locally, but everything of a similar size had wheels or extra compartments in the lid.

The picture is kind of deceptive. A 2 liter soda bottle fits in the cooler with the lid on, so I think it's deeper than it looks.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Horn posted:

Could you post the recipe? I love a good carrot cake and this sounds really interesting

Sorry, copyrighted. I'mma calling :filez:!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Samizdata posted:

Sorry, copyrighted. I'mma calling :filez:!
You can't copyright a recipe, only the specific text presenting it. So as long as you don't type it up word for word, there's no violation.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
http://books.google.com/books?id=7I...0recipe&f=false

That isn't filez, is it? Are you okay with that duder?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SubG posted:

You can't copyright a recipe, only the specific text presenting it. So as long as you don't type it up word for word, there's no violation.

Crikey. I was just kidding. Like I would use the term "Imma" any other way. I think copyright as it stands now is pretty drat ridiculous.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Here's another Anova coupon: backer-fcf2s3tb

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Someone please take this coupon off my hands: backer-48tb54df

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
How much does the coupon give you off the device? I might be interested.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

How much does the coupon give you off the device? I might be interested.

50 bucks

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

$50 off $180. It makes it cheaper then what most backers paid, myself included.

No, I'm not bitter, why do you ask?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the littlest prince posted:

$50 off $180. It makes it cheaper then what most backers paid, myself included.

No, I'm not bitter, why do you ask?

Cancel your order and order the discounted version?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Jeoh posted:

Cancel your order and order the discounted version?

He probably used kickstarter so that isn't an option.

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
I know the answer is almost always "when in doubt, throw it out" but I am making pulled pork with pork shoulder cooking at 170 deg F and woke up this morning at the 10 hour mark to find about an inch of pork above water due to evaporation.

I was planning on stopping it at 12 hours but should I scrap it? My feeling was since the temperature of the bath was pretty high, the inch that was exposed would still be in the high 150s or 160 range.

Any thoughts?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm known for my cavalier attitude toward food safety, but you're perfectly okay. I can't imagine the exposed pork section dipped into the danger zone at all.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What about probing the temperature of the exposed section to see how far away from the main-mass temp it is? Is that a valid measurement?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

punissuer posted:

I know the answer is almost always "when in doubt, throw it out" but I am making pulled pork with pork shoulder cooking at 170 deg F and woke up this morning at the 10 hour mark to find about an inch of pork above water due to evaporation.

I was planning on stopping it at 12 hours but should I scrap it? My feeling was since the temperature of the bath was pretty high, the inch that was exposed would still be in the high 150s or 160 range.

Any thoughts?

There's no way that the inch dropped much below the temperature of the submerged portion, you're fine.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So I just found out about this through the PYF Recent Purchase thread and I am quite intrigued. I suck at cooking and am definitely open to getting something that can cook me up some delicious protein. I'm assuming I can use this method to cook chicken? What would be the most idiot proof / ease of use device to get currently?

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

Etrips posted:

So I just found out about this through the PYF Recent Purchase thread and I am quite intrigued. I suck at cooking and am definitely open to getting something that can cook me up some delicious protein. I'm assuming I can use this method to cook chicken? What would be the most idiot proof / ease of use device to get currently?

Most goons will probably recommend the Anova. I am one of those goons.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

cptInsane0 posted:

Most goons will probably recommend the Anova. I am one of those goons.

Any real differences between the Anova and Sansire? I guess the base model should be more than enough over the One model.

Etrips fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 19, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The Sansaire fails most, the Anovas are pretty sturdy, and the o.g. Nomiku is most expensive. If you want to wait until next year for something with Wifi, get this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/new-nomiku-sous-vide-wifi-connected-and-made-in-th

There's also that fancy one with the happy name that I forget. What's it called? Cloud-cooker? Smile-cooker?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Safety Dance posted:

The Sansaire fails most, the Anovas are pretty sturdy, and the o.g. Nomiku is most expensive. If you want to wait until next year for something with Wifi, get this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/new-nomiku-sous-vide-wifi-connected-and-made-in-th

There's also that fancy one with the happy name that I forget. What's it called? Cloud-cooker? Smile-cooker?

Think I'm going to pick up one of the Anovas now instead of waiting. Tired of how my meats are coming out because I'm a terrible cook. Plus the bluetooth functionality is pretty neat. Hope those coupons from earlier still work!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Etrips posted:

Think I'm going to pick up one of the Anovas now instead of waiting. Tired of how my meats are coming out because I'm a terrible cook. Plus the bluetooth functionality is pretty neat. Hope those coupons from earlier still work!
Sous-vide can turn out some tasty food for sure, but it's no substitute for learning basic cooking skills.

You'll still want to sear most meats after cooking, and it's nice to be able to whip up some nice sauces or side items. You'll get a lot more value out of your puddle machine once you can do this.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Etrips posted:

Bluetooth is on the next generation of Anova, which doesn't ship until October. If you buy one today you get the Anova without bluetooth.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

CrazyLittle posted:

Bluetooth is on the next generation of Anova, which doesn't ship until October. If you buy one today you get the Anova without bluetooth.

:gonk: Noooooooo.

Thanks for the heads up, will probably still pick one up now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

WhiteHowler posted:

Sous-vide can turn out some tasty food for sure, but it's no substitute for learning basic cooking skills.

You'll still want to sear most meats after cooking, and it's nice to be able to whip up some nice sauces or side items. You'll get a lot more value out of your puddle machine once you can do this.
Etrips seemed to have trouble with meats coming out correctly, and the easiest solution for that is a Thermapen! Puddler's ok though.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 19, 2014

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Etrips posted:

:gonk: Noooooooo.

Thanks for the heads up, will probably still pick one up now.

Dude, you can live with cooking appliances that don't connect to internet / your cellphone... I pull up amazing things using an old PID controller and a hot plate.

http://www.auberins.com/ and http://www.amazon.com/Electric-1000W-Single-Burner-White/dp/B003WSOCFG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1408482319&sr=8-4&keywords=hot+plate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Mellow? The one that will keep it cold before and after it cooks it? And that I also believe has a goon involved with it?