Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Vortex worth it? I may've convinced the boyfriend we should go there when I come to visit him in a month or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Bison burger at Vortex is pretty decent(Granted, not exactly a wide world of options out there for it sadly...) and I also recall a decent spicy one of some sort that might've been Cajun?

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

Manuel Calavera posted:

Is Vortex worth it? ... when I come to visit him in a month or so.

see, point proven: outta towners + the Vortex!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trolling or anything, but I'm just merely confused as to why the Vortex is always on non-locals' radar? It always has a long wait too. Am I missing something? It seems to have the same ambiance and clientele as a typical Taco Mac. The food is OKAY.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

so what do you normally order at brunch or dinner when you're there? menu favorites?

we had that goonmeet there, and I've been one other time - and the food has been good, don't get me wrong - but just trying to crack your enthusiasm for the place. It seems like a solid upscale jewish-deli type eatery - which is awesome because Atlanta doesn't really have much like that - but on the other hand I personally am finding it hard to get really excited about it.

I get a variety of things at brunch, but what I love most is the bagels with cream cheese and fish and the latkes. I was born in NYC and lived in the Northeast until the middle of my teens. Bagels were what I ate most often for brunch/lunch on the weekends, and so the brunch food at The General Muir is very familiar and what I want in a breakfast. A few years ago I went around town trying to find a decent bagel and found none that I really liked. (I've heard there is at least one legit bagel place in Alpharetta, but that's way to far of a trek for me to bother to investigate as it would never be a practical regular destination) So when a place opened that had good bagels, I was and still remain very enthused. So my single favorite order there is one of the bagels with cream cheese and fish with a side of latkes. Outside of the bagels, my favorite brunch item is probably the pastrami and egg sandwich.

If it wasn't painfully obvious, the dishes produced there fall very much in line with my tastes and what I like in food. The dishes are typically simple (in that they're not overdone and everyone component serves a purpose) and well executed. I also get treated very well there, which I enjoy. I get things comped often, many people there know my name and say hello, the chef will discuss dishes with me and ask for feedback, they've given me a table on basically no notice in the middle of a packed Saturday night when I had an out-of-town friend come in at the last minute, etc. So they make me feel like I'm important to them, which is, of course, very nice.

If the place doesn't really do it for you, don't overthink it. This sort of stuff is very subjective and The General Muir hits my culinary G spot, which is very particular to me and my tastes and background.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Is Vortex worth it? I may've convinced the boyfriend we should go there when I come to visit him in a month or so.

Sure. It is worth a visit. It has character and good burgers and probably makes for a good experience for a visitor. It likely won't be a waste of your time. As discussed in this thread in the last week, it might not be anyone favorite place for burgers (and those opinions vary greatly), but it is a solid place for burgers.

Landrobot posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trolling or anything, but I'm just merely confused as to why the Vortex is always on non-locals' radar? It always has a long wait too. Am I missing something? It seems to have the same ambiance and clientele as a typical Taco Mac. The food is OKAY.

Good branding. I'd say the burgers are better than okay. The ambiance of the place is something that is worth experiencing, but after having been there two or three times, that's enough for me. I loathe the clientele, but I pretty much hate all crowds.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 6, 2014

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I saw it on that Serious Eats list, and there's a location in northern ATL. Which is a closer/easier drive from Canton. And yeah, the atmosphere sounded appealing :v:. Plus it's reasonably affordable.

La Fin Du Mondale
Aug 22, 2004
If you're talking about the LFP Vortex, you would probably be better off going to the Porter or Wrecking Bar. Those places both have solid burgers, a much better beer selection, and don't feel like the biker version of a TGI Fridays on the inside.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll take a look at those and let him know! He's not much for beer I think, but I am.

La Fin Du Mondale
Aug 22, 2004
Ya know, I think I was being a bit harsh. That place just isn't really my crowd, but they do have some pretty solid burgers, especially if the occasional bout of gluttony is your thing.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I'm assuming that if someone wants to go to The Vortex, it is for The Vortex's particular style of burgers and ambiance, which can't be found elsewhere. If you want to sit and talk to your partner and drink a variety of craft beer and aren't specifically interested The Vortex's style of burger, The Vortex probably isn't a good choice.

And for what it is worth, I much prefer the Midtown location to the Little Five Points location due to the clientele.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

La Fin Du Mondale posted:

... feel like the biker version of a TGI Fridays on the inside.

HAHAHAHAH! :killdozer:

Love that; you nailed it perfectly.

I guess it's pretty cool if you're 18 years old, or a 40 year old 'dude' that still embraces goatees, and wearing the finest sports jersey in his closet when going out and about town.

Landrobot fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 7, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
biker version of a TGI fridays is 100% accurate.

I strongly dislike the vortex irl. not even some internet trolly posturing poo poo, which I do a lot itt. their burgers are ok, but only ok. last time I went (2-3 years ago), I had some tater tots (maybe sweet potato?) that were literally cold as poo poo inside. probably sysco.

the staff are assholes. intentionally. the back of their menu is a tryhard "edgy" (tgi fridays trying to convince you it's not tgi fridays) list of reasons the staff is 100% privileged to act like dicks. spoiler alert, the reason is, you (poorly) chose to walk into their restaurant. and they don't get paid enough to take your poo poo. which you probably wouldn't be giving them, if they hadn't textually insulted you a priori with the back of their menu.

also the crowd is 100% goony. neckbreathers, the lot of them. don't get me wrong, I am a nerd, I like neckbreathers and am friends with many goony people, but it's like - tryhard goony people doing bad trivia on a tuesday and feeling cool because they're having a beer and in little 5 surrounded by tattooed chainsmoking rear end in a top hat waiters who are intentionally dicks (because that's their version of getting to feel cool) all while eating a bunch of sysco poo poo.

dunno, not my place. if you wanna check it out because hey, atlanta, by all means do it. not a waste of time, just not how I like to waste my time. If you go to the l5p location, they have a ~1932 BMW R32 motorcycle hanging from the ceiling. I am not like a motor enthusiast or anything, but I didn't even know I could possibly like motorcycles until I saw that thing, it's loving crazy. :)

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

not even some internet trolly posturing poo poo, which I do a lot itt.

I knew you really liked The Optimist! This proves it.

Westside's Urban pL8 Closes Less Than Two Weeks After Reported 'Kitchen Catastrophe'

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

We need to do another Goon Dinner Meet:

I suggest either The Optimist, Urban Pl8, Vortex l5p, TGI Fridays, STK, or Ru San's midtown. :chord: j/k

But in all seriousness, I'm up for any place that puts care and love into the food they make. As an avid home cook myself, I loathe restaurants that serve microwaved bags of veggies or Sysco boxes.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
You forgot about Flip. But yes, I'm in for another meetup.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
One of the popups at Gato?

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
My friends went to the reopened Polaris today. This is the quail two ways.

:cripes:

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Apropos of the recent burger chat, yesterday I ate the burger at Miller Union. Very good stuff, but it is not the style of burger I prefer. I have grown to prefer to style of burger that has two thin patties smashed flat that develops a nice crust. Miller Union does the single thick patty style, which I don't enjoy as much. They are able to actually cook a burger properly to order, unlike many places where I order a medium rare burger and get something past medium. I would have liked a bit more cheese relative to the amount of beef and if they put the bun on the flat top to develop some crispness to the inner sides of the bun. That being said, sometimes I do want the single patty style cooked medium rare, and Miller Union does that well.

e: Miller Union's house ketchup is really great.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 11, 2014

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

Landrobot posted:

It's flashy, and something of a L5P landmark.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

WaterIsPoison posted:

Why would you ever serve food on that thing?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WaterIsPoison posted:

I am very confused and getting increasingly concerned for my own sanity.

is quail two ways like 'fried quail on the left side of the plate' and 'fried quail on the right side of the plate'?

also why would you fry quail? :(

also why would you serve a brown shitsauce out of a tilted over pot on a giant slate slab?

also the garnish for their two-way-quail is exactly the same save for the watercress. I'm pretty sure it's just a 'fried quail on left' and 'fried quail on right' tasting duo. :(

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 12, 2014

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
It might not actually be two ways since I did not look at their menu and only went off their immediate comments. :shrug:

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

"2 Quails, 1 Cup"

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What are the best burger places for people who prefer 1 big patty instead of the two smaller ones style?

I dislike Holeman and Finch and Grindhouse's burgers because of their thin two patty style. I actually think the burgers at the Vortex are quite a bit better than both of those places. If most people think Vortex is only mediocre, what's a good burger place that does big fat patty style well?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Megasabin posted:

What are the best burger places for people who prefer 1 big patty instead of the two smaller ones style?

I dislike Holeman and Finch and Grindhouse's burgers because of their thin two patty style. I actually think the burgers at the Vortex are quite a bit better than both of those places. If most people think Vortex is only mediocre, what's a good burger place that does big fat patty style well?

I'd just make this at home honestly due to food safety reasons, and being able to cook exactly what you want.

to be honest, I have pretty firm (negative) opinions on big mid-rare burgers tbqh. but if that's your bag, I really don't think vortex does a bad job at all. I think farm and yeah burger do a slightly thicker version too.

but, thin crunchy crispy salty patties for lyfe.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

mindphlux posted:

I'd just make this at home honestly due to food safety reasons, and being able to cook exactly what you want.

to be honest, I have pretty firm (negative) opinions on big mid-rare burgers tbqh. but if that's your bag, I really don't think vortex does a bad job at all. I think farm and yeah burger do a slightly thicker version too.

but, thin crunchy crispy salty patties for lyfe.

Judging on the fact that every single gourmet burger place does thin patties, I think they agree with you. Curse my bad burger taste. I guess I will just continue to enjoy the Vortex/Home Grilled burgers. I actually did go to one amazing big fat burger place while car shopping when I moved here 2 years ago, but I can't remember the name of it. It was about 15 minutes south of Atlanta where all the car dealerships are, and they actually had different mixes of ground meat. Like the daily special the day I went was 1/2 ground chuck and 1/2 duck that day.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Megasabin posted:

Judging on the fact that every single gourmet burger place does thin patties, I think they agree with you. Curse my bad burger taste. I guess I will just continue to enjoy the Vortex/Home Grilled burgers. I actually did go to one amazing big fat burger place while car shopping when I moved here 2 years ago, but I can't remember the name of it. It was about 15 minutes south of Atlanta where all the car dealerships are, and they actually had different mixes of ground meat. Like the daily special the day I went was 1/2 ground chuck and 1/2 duck that day.

wow that sounds pretty good. I don't think I could resist a chuck&duck burger, regardless of patty thickness.

actually, just a duck burger sounds like it could be potentially amazing. oh god the wheels are spinning in my headddd. definitely time to grab some duck thighs and break out the meat grinder...

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

mindphlux posted:

wow that sounds pretty good. I don't think I could resist a chuck&duck burger, regardless of patty thickness.

actually, just a duck burger sounds like it could be potentially amazing. oh god the wheels are spinning in my headddd. definitely time to grab some duck thighs and break out the meat grinder...

Canoe has one, but I wasn't super impressed. Funny story about Canoe though. One random Satrurday night my friend asked if I wanted to go to dinner, and to suggest a place. I pulled Canoe off my list without knowing anything about it. Four of us roll up dressed in shorts and t-shirts with no reservation. Despite no advanced notice and horrified looks by the wait staff they seat us. The waiter comes over and asks us what the occasion was, and in response we just kind of looked at each other, shrugged, and replied "dinner?". Moral of the story: Probably know a little bit about the place before you go so you can at least dress appropriately.

Overall though I thought Canoe was good, but forgettable. It was just another place in a long list of samey fancy modern american type places.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

quote:

Craft Izakaya, which softly opened over the weekend at Krog Street Market with friends and family events, will open to the public tonight. The lively Japanese-style bar and restaurant is a spin-off of Sushi Huku in Sandy Springs. Look for a full sushi bar and a yakitori menu with skewered meats, seafood and veggies cooked on a charcoal grill imported from Japan. Bar manager Nate Shuman, recently of Proof & Provision, created the beverage program featuring sake, shochu, craft beer and cocktails. 99 Krog St., Suite X, Atlanta. 470-355-9556.
Gonna give it a try tomorrow. Super pumped.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Sushi Huku is my goto ITP sushi place, so I'm very much looking forward to the new place at Krog Street Market.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
That place looks amazing. My cousin owns a house near there, and I was really jealous that he can walk to so many amazing restaurants. I mean we have some great places over here in West Atlanta, but nowhere that I can walk from my place. I went to visit him the other week, and we walked to Serpas and had a great dinner.(Pork chop there was tasty).

AgentHaiTo fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 20, 2014

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

AgentHaiTo posted:

That place looks amazing. My cousin owns a house near there, and I was really jealous that he can walk to so many amazing restaurants. I mean we have some great places over here in West Atlanta, but nowhere that I can walk from my place. I went to visit him the other week, and we walked to Serpas and had a great dinner.(Pork chop there was tasty).

I like the way he thinks.

(I also live in walking distance to Serpas and KSM. So pumped.)

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Webbeh posted:

I like the way he thinks.

(I also live in walking distance to Serpas and KSM. So pumped.)

Dude, do I know you? I feel like I recognize your username and I'm also an Inman Park goon.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I ate at The General Muir tonight (shut up, mindphlux), and asked the chef when his two places at Krog Street Market (Fred's Meat & Bread, Yalla) might open. Mid-October is the latest word. I'm very excited as I've had a number of the preview dishes they've been serving at The General Muir, and have enjoyed them.

Zagat just posted their 30 Under 30 list and two people I know are on the list: Kathryn Fitzgerald (The General Muir) and Jarret Steiber (Eat Me Speak Me). I'm very happy for them. Landrobot's friend, Daniel Peach of Chai Pani, is also on the list.

kuskus ate at The Pig and The Pearl and needs to tell me how it was.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

After getting rejected from two loving mellow mushrooms I've ended up at camellis because I'm so loving pizza mode right now.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

FizFashizzle posted:

After getting rejected from two loving mellow mushrooms I've ended up at camellis because I'm so loving pizza mode right now.

what does this even mean. how do you get rejected from a mellow mushroom

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

mindphlux posted:

what does this even mean. how do you get rejected from a mellow mushroom

Today was their 40th anniversary so they rolled back their prices to then. Small cheese pizzas were 2.50

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tatsuta Age posted:

Dude, do I know you? I feel like I recognize your username and I'm also an Inman Park goon.

I think a lot of us are highlands/l5p/inman/c-town

some dude posted a twitter picture of my license plate https://twitter.com/spaceship_earth/status/495663293458317312

I have no idea who this guy is, but he's probably a goon. a goon friend of a goonfriend of a goonfriend who lives in texas caught this on twitter and was like 'dude I know that license plate' and messaged me about it.

the world is a small place :psyduck:

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Jesus christ, where the gently caress did I get that avatar from?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

antisodachrist posted:

Jesus christ, where the gently caress did I get that avatar from?

it works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
buahahahahahha I can't wait to cheer against this dude

http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2014/08/20/ron-eyester-top-chef-boston-trailer.php

~~~~~~if only it were ford fry.... ~~~~~~~~~~