Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I don't see why "In case I need to stick it in some stupid bastard" isn't a good reason. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

slidebite posted:

At risk of a total hijacking poo poo show, this is not a dichotomy or binary thing. Not all of us live in the US and have virtually none of the problems you allude to.

I know, I don't either.

I need a new angle grinder, my faithful aldi jobby sucked the brushes into the commutator and it liked like a dog ate it. I'm cheap, corded is fine. I'm also in the UK.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Splizwarf posted:

I don't see why "In case I need to stick it in some stupid bastard" isn't a good reason. :colbert:
Honestly, that's the logic, isn't it? Don't like people stabbing each other, so make it illegal to stab people. Oh, wait, it still happens, so let's ban certain kinds of knives because people who are disobeying the law that says it's naughty to stab people will of course obey the law that you can't carry the knife to do it with. :jerkbag:

Cakefool posted:

I need a new angle grinder, my faithful aldi jobby sucked the brushes into the commutator and it liked like a dog ate it. I'm cheap, corded is fine. I'm also in the UK.
The B&Q "Performance Power" one I had lasted several years, for what that's worth.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Cakefool posted:

I got the second cheapest one from Screwfix and it's lasted a few years so far.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I got one of these knives and it think it's pretty cool. Really sharp too. As you can see it isn't locking. I got the plastic handle though

http://www.svord.com/index.php?id_category=26&controller=category

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I was doing a radiator swap this weekend and wondered if something like these could help.

Crescent CX6RWS7 Combination Wrench Set with Ratcheting Open-End and Static Box-End, 7-Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009L86A7O/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_dxb9tb1QEDQ3J

The Reviews are mixed for similar wrenches, but I saw some craftsman ones that looked decent quality.

Does the tool thread have any anecdotes?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Not sure I would trust the ratcheting open end wrench design not to round stuff off and make a mess of bolts. Better to just get proper ratcheting wrenches even if they cost a little more. For just doing a radiator swap you probably don't need fancy ratcheting wrenches though. If you have those annoying hose clamps you might want one of these remote hose clamp pliers: http://www.amazon.com/ABN-Flexible-Clamp-Pliers-Water/dp/B00F3DP2KC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-4&keywords=hose+clamp+pliers I haven't used one but folks here say they are amazing, and after doing some cooling system work without them I can see where they would be incredibly useful.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, how round do you like your bolt heads?

If your answer is "perfectly", i'd say go for it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

mod sassinator posted:

Not sure I would trust the ratcheting open end wrench design not to round stuff off and make a mess of bolts. Better to just get proper ratcheting wrenches even if they cost a little more. For just doing a radiator swap you probably don't need fancy ratcheting wrenches though. If you have those annoying hose clamps you might want one of these remote hose clamp pliers: http://www.amazon.com/ABN-Flexible-Clamp-Pliers-Water/dp/B00F3DP2KC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-4&keywords=hose+clamp+pliers I haven't used one but folks here say they are amazing, and after doing some cooling system work without them I can see where they would be incredibly useful.

I've used those "ratcheting" type wrenches quite a bit for work,they're really not as terrible rounding-wise as they seem, but the "ratchet" feature is stupid and makes tightening a bolt under ideal circumstances like 3% faster. I'd just by a regular ol' wrench.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

mod sassinator posted:

Also make sure you have a screwdriver handy to replace those clamps with the gear type. Every time I take one of those clamps off it goes straight into the trash. Even if I have to walk to the parts store because I just took the radiator hose off my car.

Wasabi the J posted:

I was doing a radiator swap this weekend and wondered if something like these could help.

Crescent CX6RWS7 Combination Wrench Set with Ratcheting Open-End and Static Box-End, 7-Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009L86A7O/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_dxb9tb1QEDQ3J

The Reviews are mixed for similar wrenches, but I saw some craftsman ones that looked decent quality.

Does the tool thread have any anecdotes?

I don't know about the ratcheting open end. I've never used them but I'm extremely skeptical. That universal style of box end is good for stripping fasteners, too, especially if they're already a little bit rounded. I have a set of sockets in that style and I almost never use them. Although if something's already rounded, and won't come off, you might be able to hammer a smaller size on and use it like an extractor...

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I saw something about a brillo-pad like wheel for use on a drill to take off rtv and paper gasket leavings quickly but lost track of it. Does anyone know what that is?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Parts Kit posted:

I saw something about a brillo-pad like wheel for use on a drill to take off rtv and paper gasket leavings quickly but lost track of it. Does anyone know what that is?

3M Scotch Brite Rolocs.

They are really easy to gouge with on large flat surfaces and you need to make sure you aren't leaving their leavings in the motor or it's gonna gently caress your day up.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

I got one of these knives and it think it's pretty cool. Really sharp too. As you can see it isn't locking. I got the plastic handle though

http://www.svord.com/index.php?id_category=26&controller=category

Jesus, that looks fantastic. I'm in love. :allears:

Re: cable-operated remote hose clamp pliers: chiming in to say they are loving great and everyone should own one. Not only do they work really well as intended, they are also useful for a thousand random bullshit tasks where you could use a controllable clamp.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Motronic posted:

3M Scotch Brite Rolocs.

They are really easy to gouge with on large flat surfaces and you need to make sure you aren't leaving their leavings in the motor or it's gonna gently caress your day up.

Don't ever use one on the headgasket surface of an engine, ever. The aluminum oxide from them gets everywhere, and will royally gently caress up everything.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Somewhat annoying, just got myself a nice new Swiss army knife (Victorinox Workchamp), and barely have I opened the box, my MD points out to me that it's illegal to actually carry because the blade locks and is 4" long.

He is right - the "good reason to have it" nonsense. Needs to be a slightly smaller, non- locking one to keep in my pocket. Ordered myself a Deluxe Tinker to do the job instead.

Bloody nanny state bollocks!

I think you are worrying too much. Unless you are a twat or the policeman you happened to be dealing with was a twat I think you have a good reason for carrying it. Its just about context.

If you have it in your pocket when you are walking round town or on a night out, or keep it by the front door at home or in the door pocket of you car then you should be done for it as you are an idiot.
If it is in your pocket while you work (in a practical job that needs a knife) and then in the bottom of your bag along with the rest of your essential poo poo for the rest of the day its no problem.

My penknife is a 3" lock knife. It lives in the bottom of my rucksack which I carry if I walk anywhere more than 5 minutes away from the car/home. My rucksack also has a headtorch and a small first aid kit along with my coat and a load of other useful poo poo.
I do a 2 mile each way rural walk to my favorite local pub once or twice a week and my rucksack comes with me (I need a coat and a torch on the way home!). The bag gets chucked in my car/landy when i leave the house and it might end up going to the shops with me if i'm walking or buying anything more than one item. I feel in this context I have a use for the knife and it should be there.

When I was 15-20 I used to do loads of scouting and camp most weekends. I remember once walking through the city centre on a saturday afternoon carrying air rifles and various sharp, flammable and alcoholic items and getting chatted to by a passing bobby who said 'keep them in the bags, don't do anything stupid and enjoy your weekend' and left us to it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I specifically want something that I can just stick in my jacket pocket with my keys etc and just leave there. I have plenty of stuff to do a given job when required, but the entire point of a Swiss army knife is that you just have it there as a useful gadget!

I'm fully aware that I would probably be ok with the Workchamp, but given the vagaries of the law, it's not worth the risk to me.

Frankly there are a ton of other things I'm far more dangerous with, and generally to myself rather than others, but if they will insist on applying the law to me as well as others, I think I'll just grumble about it and sidestep this one.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

sharkytm posted:

Don't ever use one on the headgasket surface of an engine, ever. The aluminum oxide from them gets everywhere, and will royally gently caress up everything.

Like, from ether powder loving up the bores/grinding away at things? Or is there a powder+coolant chemistry thing?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

Like, from ether powder loving up the bores/grinding away at things? Or is there a powder+coolant chemistry thing?

Aluminum oxide is what is used as an abrasive on sandpaper. And these discs.

So the former.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Dang, didn't realize they were treated with aluminum oxide. Any reason you couldn't just use a regular scotch brite pad like what's used on pots and pans and some elbow grease?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
nm

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Parts Kit posted:

Any reason you couldn't just use a regular scotch brite pad like what's used on pots and pans and some elbow grease?

No.......but they're made out of the same thing. So if you have an appropriate use case and air tools why would you?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Motronic posted:

No.......but they're made out of the same thing. So if you have an appropriate use case and air tools why would you?
Are the green household pads covered in aluminum oxide? Can't say I ever noticed it if so.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Parts Kit posted:

Are the green household pads covered in aluminum oxide? Can't say I ever noticed it if so.

The maroon colored pads are the non-woven ones with aluminum oxide on the outside. The green woven have an abrasive bonded to the fibers throughout, and I can't find anywhere 3M discloses what exactly that abrasive is.

Doesn't sound like something that's worth the risk to me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, in general, if it's abrasive, you don't want the residue in your engine. I don't care what magical application/bonding method is used.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

The maroon colored pads are the non-woven ones with aluminum oxide on the outside. The green woven have an abrasive bonded to the fibers throughout, and I can't find anywhere 3M discloses what exactly that abrasive is.
Well, this is the info for the regular Scotch Brite material:
http://academic.evergreen.edu/projects/biophysics/technotes/fabric/finish.pdf

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004
Is there a good ratchet/socket brand that's significantly better quality than Craftsman but not quite at a SnapOn price point? I haven't been impressed with the newer Craftsman stuff (broken ratchets, cracked sockets...never had an issue with their older tools). I don't mind paying a premium for tools that will last, but I also don't have 10k to drop on a socket set.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
I'm going to parrot what I learned at garagejournal forums when I was researching a tool set. The big thing they talk about is country of origin, mainly china vs taiwan with taiwan generally hitting the quality spot you are talking about. So any of the big box brands that have a set that is made in taiwan should do you fine.

I'm assuming you have new craftsman that is made in china? I have some misc. craftsman stuff from my dad that's usa made and it's not as good as the set I bought.

I bought this set which is made in taiwan and I've been real happy with it. The wrenches are ok, somewhat limited but you should hopefully have those already. It's like 40-50 lbs id estimate: http://www.sears.com/dewalt-socket-set/p-00939204000P

I also have a smaller kobalt set (lowes) that's also made in taiwan and it's as good as the dewalt set.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Proto maybe? Navy uses em on their ships.

Not that much cheaper though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hollis Brown posted:

I'm going to parrot what I learned at garagejournal forums when I was researching a tool set. The big thing they talk about is country of origin, mainly china vs taiwan with taiwan generally hitting the quality spot you are talking about. So any of the big box brands that have a set that is made in taiwan should do you fine.

I'm assuming you have new craftsman that is made in china? I have some misc. craftsman stuff from my dad that's usa made and it's not as good as the set I bought.

I bought this set which is made in taiwan and I've been real happy with it. The wrenches are ok, somewhat limited but you should hopefully have those already. It's like 40-50 lbs id estimate: http://www.sears.com/dewalt-socket-set/p-00939204000P

I also have a smaller kobalt set (lowes) that's also made in taiwan and it's as good as the dewalt set.
You want Snap On industrial Brands

Williams in particular. Make really good stuff and the pricing can be attractive.

If by chance you live in Canada, I can help you out.

full online catalog

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

A lot of companies have a Good -> Better -> Best (or just Good -> Best) system with their brands, with the Good and Better being import, and the Best being made in the US.

For Stanley, it goes: Stanley and Expert (import) -> Blackhawk (import) -> Proto (US)

For Apex Tool Group: Crescent (import) -> Gearwrench (import) -> Armstrong (US)

Wright Tool: Cougar Pro (import) -> Wright (US)

My company stocks a Mexican brand called Urrea. I guess the story goes that Proto used to have a factory in Mexico. Through ownership changes, Proto brought everything back to the US, but Urrea continued to make the same tools in Mexico. It's arguably the same quality(in fact, their part numbers are eerily similar), and they make all of the same really heavy industrial spud wrenches, striking wrenches, and impact sockets, etc. I believe their smaller sized hand sockets are imported from Taiwan, but we have some pretty large contractors that buy their tools without complaint or issue.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Minus Pants posted:

significantly better quality than Craftsman

I know it's the Tools Thread broken record, but: Harbor Freight. Their impact and chrome sockets are both dependable, and easily shame the current state of Craftsman tools. I've blown up a bunch of Craftsman and Duralast sockets, but my HF sockets take even more abuse and with zero complaint.

Well, except the multicolor nylon-sleeved lugnut sockets, but they're deliberately very thin-walled to accommodate the nylon sleeve (and one of my co-workers keeps blowing his suspiciously-identical Matco ones just as often so v:v:v).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
quote is not edit

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Splizwarf posted:

I know it's the Tools Thread broken record, but: Harbor Freight. Their impact and chrome sockets are both dependable, and easily shame the current state of Craftsman tools. I've blown up a bunch of Craftsman and Duralast sockets, but my HF sockets take even more abuse and with zero complaint.

Well, except the multicolor nylon-sleeved lugnut sockets, but they're deliberately very thin-walled to accommodate the nylon sleeve (and one of my co-workers keeps blowing his suspiciously-identical Matco ones just as often so v:v:v).

Quoted for what everyone knows. I have broken a dozen Craftsman sockets of the last year and maybe 1 HF socket.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've got a mix of Crescent, Husky, Craftsman (hand-me-downs), and some HF sockets. Honestly, the Craftsman is the worst of it.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Minus Pants posted:

Is there a good ratchet/socket brand that's significantly better quality than Craftsman but not quite at a SnapOn price point? I haven't been impressed with the newer Craftsman stuff (broken ratchets, cracked sockets...never had an issue with their older tools). I don't mind paying a premium for tools that will last, but I also don't have 10k to drop on a socket set.

I've been really happy with the SK sockets I bought a few months ago. They're made in the USA and their quality is way better than Craftsman, but they're not horribly expensive-a full set of SAE and metric sockets in normal and deep sizes runs about $150 with a ratchet and extensions on Amazon. I got mine used from a pawn shop for about $80. They're probably overkill for a hack like me but they'll probably be the last ones I buy (if I don't lose any).

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Motronic posted:

Doesn't sound like something that's worth the risk to me.
Ugh, great. Is there any other way to remove stuck rtv or paper gasket material that's faster than scraping with a razor and doesn't have this risk? Maybe just a plain-jane wire wheel?

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I absolutely abuse my older craftsman stuff and it holds up really well, but when i put the same treatment to my newer stuff, it crumbles. I'm a huge fan of my HF impact sockets though, they have been through hell and never let me down.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Parts Kit posted:

Ugh, great. Is there any other way to remove stuck rtv or paper gasket material that's faster than scraping with a razor and doesn't have this risk? Maybe just a plain-jane wire wheel?

Sharp razor blades.

I go through 2 or three on a water pump. They are cheap, but they don't stay sharp long.

Having the right selection of blade handles makes a huge difference.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Parts Kit posted:

Aircraft stripper or acetone can soften that poo poo up. Depending on the surface, be careful with the razor, it can gouge aluminum block faces, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tamir Lenk posted:

be careful with the razor, it can gouge aluminum block faces, etc.

Yeah, always shallow angles. That's why having the right handles (a selection of them) is important for tight spaces.