Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

IT chat: we're all hideously out of shape, some of you are downright ugly, and all of us need to exercise more.

Implying.

Actually, wrestling just gave me a weight complex that stuck, so I'm in fantastic shape.

Self-improvement via learning and self-improvement at the gym don't seem that far apart. Spending an hour a day lifting can dramatically improve your life, and we all have time (play less vidya, drink less beer, post on SA less, wake up earlier, whatever). I managed to go to school full-time, work full-time, make it to the gym every day, and still found plenty of relaxation time.

Misogynist posted:

Speaking of positivity, sorry to be a self-promoting pain in the rear end, but we just had a huge product launch of Rabbit, and we held together despite huge traffic surges from Reddit's front page and friends. If you're tired of Google Hangouts, or if you want to watch Netflix or HBO Go with a friend across the country or the ocean, give us a shot (and send us feedback).

Congrats! Why no Firefox? Or maybe I just don't see it (I'm on mobile and fully intend to visit).

We're currently evaluating platforms, and hangouts v bluejeans is the play right now. But this looks really promising. Pricing? Support for more than 10 participants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

IT chat: we're all hideously out of shape, some of you are downright ugly, and all of us need to exercise more. Who's with me on a vague, non-committal promise to do something about it?

Hell yeah. Just had my first day (back) at the gym yesterday, and I can barely move my arms today. IT is great because you can be sore as gently caress and be able to spend your time recovering in a chair.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Been getting up around 0430 a few times a week for years now so I can get to the gym when it opens. It makes for a long day, and sometimes in the late afternoon I have to remind myself that I worked out that day and don't need to go the next morning.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Hell yeah. Just had my first day (back) at the gym yesterday, and I can barely move my arms today. IT is great because you can be sore as gently caress and be able to spend your time recovering in a chair.

Unless you are one of those poor souls working in a datacenter and racking servers. I do not miss that one bit.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
I go to the gym at least 5 days a week. We have a gym on campus which is primarily for Physical Therapy patients, but we also have a "Sports Performance Institute" to train athletes. I gave up drinking alcohol and soda a while back as well.

I've done a few Warrior Dashes and a Tough Mudder. Some of us here at work are currently trying to get a small team for this years Warrior Dash (NorCal). It was a lot of fun last year when I was able to talk a couple of people into participating. Hoping it'll be all the better this year.

Holy poo poo, DT. There's no way in hell I'd get up @ 4:30AM to go to the gym. As it is, I can barely manage to get my rear end up at 8AM. Even then, I'm pretty worthless until I've had some coffee (lots of it).

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
Gym before work crew represent. Just started going 4-5 times a week myself on the regular a little over a month ago. Besides the lack of sleep it actually helps quite a bit with getting the energy level up early in the day and keeping it there.

I'm still fat, but working on it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Well, I'm getting back into normal life again, but prior to going overseas I was pretty good at waking up at 5:30 to run or go to the gym. Dealing with stupid poo poo was a lot more pleasant with a runner's high.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I've never had a gym membership in my life, but I think that is going to be on my list of goals once I switch to the working at home thing.
I want to get out and do something like that every morning, or walk to the park or something before I start my work day. It will be nice to be free from the chains of working on shifts and have time every day to do things like improve my health, practice guitar, get some fresh air, read.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Eh, I'm rail thin because I have an awesome metabolism but probably should work out :haw:

If anything, I need to start cooking at home. Eating out all the time is a huge waste of money, even if you have the money.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 20, 2014

J
Jun 10, 2001

psydude posted:

Dealing with stupid poo poo was a lot more pleasant with a runner's high.

I used to have some pretty crazy mood swings sometimes. Just the dumbest poo poo would set me off. I could go from upbeat to steaming mad in no time, over little things. Then I got off my rear end and got into shape and all those mood swings just stopped. It was a really pleasant surprise, and makes it much easier to focus on stuff that is actually important with a clear head.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Eh, I'm rail then because I have an awesome metabolism but probably should work out :haw:

I just want to say that this isn't really true. Metabolic differences between individuals are about 200 kcal/day.

Extreme cases notwithstanding (feeding prisoners ludicrous amounts of calories to test set-point weight theories), most people with "fast metabolisms" just underestimate their intake. Studies back this up, but I'll use myself as an example.

If left to my own devices without overtly thinking about eating 4000 calories, I'd fall down to around 145lbs. I'm currently 190 at about 10% body fat. I eat 'a lot' even while skinny, and I can 'outeat' almost everyone I know, but I don't habitually snack, so I pretty much just eat at mealtimes (even if that "meal" is a bag of chips). So I might eat a large pizza and a dozen wings for dinner after having a burger for lunch. But the next day, I'm just not that hungry. So I'll go out to eat, but eat lighter (relatively). Maybe it's still tacos or burgers, but it's not that many calories in absolute terms.

Eating a lot is actually really hard for some people. I guess what I'm saying is that if you tracked your caloric input for a while (on myfitnesspal or wolfram alpha or whatever), it wouldn't be as high as you think it is on a week-to-week basis.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I hit the gym with co-workers during lunch, usually every work day. Lucky, there's a really nice facility on campus and employees get to use it for free. Lunchtime is alright, although sometimes I'd rather eat and watch tv during that hour.

Students moved in today, though, so it will be interesting to see how much busier the place gets during that hour.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CloFan posted:

Are you Jeff? Why doesn't Jeff have anywhere he'd rather be?

Congrats on the launch!

There are only three team members that don't have anywhere they'd rather be, and one is a dog.

WHAT ARE YOU HIDING?

Edit: Gymchat
I'm going to start trying to hit the gym three times a week now. I sit in a chair most of my day, I don't want to be the guy that throws his back out while tying his shoe.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 20, 2014

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Re: metabolism.

I share the pet peeve that evol262 apparently has.

It's fun asking my friends with "high metabolisms" track what they eat.

When left to my own devices I've settled in around 170lbs with no muscle mass worth noting.

After 2 weeks straight of drinking in my hometown I am sure I'm a bit more. Finally getting back to the gym when I get home.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

IT chat: we're all hideously out of shape, some of you are downright ugly, and all of us need to exercise more. Who's with me on a vague, non-committal promise to do something about it?

I only mention it because I just biked (a small number of) miles and I think I'm just going to lay down and die if that's okay.

I've been doing couch to 5k over the summer (as evidenced by me posting my progress in #bofh). I haven't lost any weight because I keep eating my favorite foods (rice) but I'm getting faster and I'm actually managing to run 5Ks all the way. Slowly, but surely.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Forgot to say, congrats psydude! Hope it works out. And congrats on the launch, JeffMisogynist.

Casull posted:

I've been doing couch to 5k over the summer (as evidenced by me posting my progress in #bofh). I haven't lost any weight because I keep eating my favorite foods (rice) but I'm getting faster and I'm actually managing to run 5Ks all the way. Slowly, but surely.

This program owns for sure. I went through it maybe a year and a half ago and it does what it says on the tin, took my fat rear end from being able to run literally about 30 seconds at a time to running 5km several times a week. But then we had a kid, my free time and energy levels fell off a cliff, and I stopped. I need to pick it back up now that she's sleeping a little better and I have the energy to so much as stand up after work again :)

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

:respek: Actually also had my first day back at the gym in forever today (see above re: baby). Promptly hurt my thigh pretty good doing squats! Guess I was too lazy about stretching.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Congrats psydude! :yotj:

I dragged myself into workout clothes and exercised tonight. I can't be wearing maternity clothes because of the baby when she learns how to walk. That's my deadline for getting back into button-waist pants.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evol262 posted:

Congrats! Why no Firefox? Or maybe I just don't see it (I'm on mobile and fully intend to visit).

We're currently evaluating platforms, and hangouts v bluejeans is the play right now. But this looks really promising. Pricing? Support for more than 10 participants?
Free! We also don't (currently) have any plans to charge end-users -- that seems like a losing play and even Skype backed away from that model. Support for larger group chats is coming in a future release; if this is something that's important to you, please submit feedback! I'd be happy to relay it on your behalf, but it makes our product team happy when they hear directly from users. The stack can easily accommodate dozens of users at a time in a chat, and the 10-user limit is honestly pretty arbitrary, but we've been trying really hard to figure out what a good UX feels like for that many users in a room.

Firefox is complicated. Its support for WebRTC is really lacking in fundamental areas across the board. The echo cancellation is bad enough that if a user without a headset joins a chat (say, using a built-in laptop or webcam microphone) they'll ruin the audio for everyone in the chat. It also doesn't do SRTP key renegotiation correctly, so the CPU usage is literally an order of magnitude higher on all our WebRTC servers when we have Firefox users because we need to re-encrypt the stream separately for every source->destination pair instead of using a single key for each room. We're going to be investing significant dev resources in the coming months to make sure Firefox users have a good user experience, however we manage to do that.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 20, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Misogynist posted:

Free! We also don't (currently) have any plans to charge end-users -- that seems like a losing play and even Skype backed away from that model. Support for larger group chats is coming in a future release; if this is something that's important to you, please submit feedback! I'd be happy to relay it on your behalf, but it makes our product team happy when they hear directly from users. The stack can easily accommodate dozens of users at a time in a chat, and the 10-user limit is honestly pretty arbitrary, but we've been trying really hard to figure out what a good UX feels like for that many users in a room.

Firefox is complicated. Its support for WebRTC is really lacking in fundamental areas across the board. The echo cancellation is bad enough that if a user without a headset joins a chat (say, using a built-in laptop or webcam microphone) they'll ruin the audio for everyone in the chat. It also doesn't do SRTP key renegotiation correctly, so the CPU usage is literally an order of magnitude higher on all our WebRTC servers when we have Firefox users because we need to re-encrypt the stream separately for every source->destination pair instead of using a single key for each room. We're going to be investing significant dev resources in the coming months to make sure Firefox users have a good user experience, however we manage to do that.

Firefox is getting bad again lately in a lot of ways, it seems.

Flat/free pricing is great! But there are a lot of businesses who'll pay (ala spideroak blue). I'll send some mails to internal lists and see what kind of feedback we get.

The biggest complaints so far are that Hangouts is limited in users and the bluejeans plugin is unreliable (and sometimes frankly bad). Group video chat with screen sharing that supports more than 10 users with no plugins required really strikes me as the kind of product people will happily pay for...

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
Add a good whiteboard and moderator controlled breakout rooms and you have the education market sown up.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I need a good video chat for morning standup meetings. So far I've had issues both with hangouts and Skype having lovely quality (even though i'm on a great connection here in Stockholm, so probably on the Mexican end) and my mic not working with people yelling "we can't hear you!" and trying to call up 47 times while I keep denying the call so I can try to fix / chat with them.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Just have my first high level webex presentation about the current and future state of server operating systems in our production environment to about 40 architects.

I think I need a beer now...

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I have a gym in the office that comes as a perk. So 3 times a week I am doing weights with 2 mornings of cardio (usually a cross trainer and bike) then at the weekend just walking when I can. It gets you going in the morning that that last hour can be a killer some days.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
re: gymchat:

it's not convenient for me to cycle to work at my current job, but I playe Ingress (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3557872&pagenumber=1) so I cycle about in the evenings playing the game, which hasn't helped me get any thinner, but I do feel fitter, so it's a start :)

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
gymchat: I am 6'1 and was 200 pounds, skinnyfat basically. Started going to the gym 5 times a week and a 20 mile bike ride on the weekends, didn't see much of an improvement except for increased endurance. Started watching my calorie intake (ranging from 1400 - 1800) and took beer almost completely out of my diet and boom, 2 months later I'm down to my target of 175 and have my high school tone back. Diet is important folks.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Misogynist posted:

You know what critical piece you're ignoring? Modern IT jobs require more skills than they used to regardless of how long it takes to learn any one of them.

Most IT salaries aren't going down, they're going up, which is the opposite of what would be happening if the jobs were getting easier. Pretty much every IT job from technical writer up through business analyst requires a tremendous amount of multidisciplinary skill, and more effort than ever to align with the goals of an increasingly complex business. Availability strategies that used to be the purview of architects are now everyone's concern because of the idiosyncrasies of the cloud. Everyone needs to worry about storing and processing absolutely gargantuan amounts of data or they lose their competitive advantage to companies that do. Sure, desktop support CJ work is easier now than it was 10 years ago, and sysadmins manage marginally fewer apps because of SaaS. But you're out of your fuckin' gourd if you think there's less people on the business side to impress and not more, or that the soft skills associated with a degree are becoming in any way less important in the workplace.

Wages are going up mostly because there is a tech bubble. You don't need a degree to have soft skills, and many people with and without degrees have terrible soft skills. It is a stereotype in general that many people in IT have poor soft skills.

The tools we all have available require less knowledge to use. It is relatively simple to deploy email with archiving, spam filtering, message encryption and availability for an organization through Office 365. This is much simpler than installing exchange properly. There is a group at Microsoft that is doing the job of hundreds of different sysadmins spread out with less time and delivering a better product.

Do you still need to know how to setup an exchange server? How to host a website? VOIP PBX?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lampey posted:

Do you still need to know how to setup an exchange server? How to host a website? VOIP PBX?

Absolutely you do. For example, we don't allow cloud services here, and we cannot store data on American servers either. So everything like Exchange and web hosting are in-house. It's a lot more common than you think outside the USA.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

lampey posted:

Wages are going up mostly because there is a tech bubble. You don't need a degree to have soft skills, and many people with and without degrees have terrible soft skills. It is a stereotype in general that many people in IT have poor soft skills.

The tools we all have available require less knowledge to use. It is relatively simple to deploy email with archiving, spam filtering, message encryption and availability for an organization through Office 365. This is much simpler than installing exchange properly. There is a group at Microsoft that is doing the job of hundreds of different sysadmins spread out with less time and delivering a better product.

Wages are going up because you're expected to know a much wider array of skills than ever before, and rolling "Jr. Network Admin" into the duties of whoever is managing your AWS infrastructure comes with a commensurate rise in pay.

Yes, you still need to know how to set up a web server. Yes, you still need to know how to set up VOIP (Lync is also dreadful).

You may not need to know how to set up Exchange (but a lot of regulated shops do). You do need to know basic scripting even as a Windows admin (you didn't need to before). You do need to know how to use configuration management systems. You do need to know about data storage, and horizontal scaling, and continuous integration, and virtualization, and high-availability, and load-balancing, and you do suddenly need to worry about routing through software defined networks and how that works, and the best backup strategy for your VMs instead of your email (but VMware doesn't tie into your backup strategy quite so nicely), and how to handle site-to-site failover without your infrastructure going to pot (because you don't have a "cold" or "hot" backup site anymore -- you have VMs, and the SAN better be replicating properly), and...

Just because some of the skills you considered important have been obsoleted doesn't mean you have to know less or that the job is getting easier.

You also need to learn what correlation is. Degrees are correlated with soft skills. Technical workers (specialized workers in general, whether enlisted v. officers in the military, electricians v. project/site managers, sysadmins v. business analysts) are correlated with not having soft skills. There are exceptions to both. It doesn't make it less valid. It also has absolutely nothing to do with the assertion that a degree is good for your career.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

lampey posted:

What do you actually do? Because I find it hard to believe that you've been around IT very long if you think no one actually needs to know how to do these things.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

You are all wrong! It is a fact! Fact! that H1 visa holders are suppressing wages and steal jobs from Americans :colbert:

Yours a L1 visa holder

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

lampey posted:

Well, look, I already told you. I deal with the goddamn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills. I am good at dealing with people! Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I've been helping migrate non-production environments for an older version of one of our applications to a new data center. This application was built more than a decade ago, has very little documentation, lovely error logging, and a ton of moving parts. It's a mess to configure even when you know what all the environmental variables are. So we're trying to move things and hitting all sorts of snags and the one thing that keeps me going is documenting my progress in group chat messages as if I was some sort of sci-fi explorer:

quote:

i have delved deep. too deep it seems. i have lost my way in a twisted maze. turning back now would be folly. i have no other choice than to press on and look for a light leading me out of this cursed darkness.

quote:

i thought i saw a light marking the way out of this cursed place, but as i approached it seemed to never get any closer. the goal i seek is constantly shifting. am I making any progress at all? i can not be sure. but i will continue searching for answers.

quote:

what I thought was a light was just my mind playing tricks on me. the bright side is that i have now gone over my own footsteps so many countless times that i know my path to freedom can't be much further away.

quote:

there is no bright side. the sun has exploded. and in a cruel twist of fate we are somehow still alive, alone on a desolate husk of a dying planet. that planet's name: version9

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

lampey posted:

My job is web infrastructure engineering and operations, so you could say I need to know how to host a website.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Misogynist posted:

My job is web infrastructure engineering and operations, so you could say I need to know how to host a website.

Just use GoDaddy, sheesh.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

There are an enormous amount of companies that refuse to use any cloud services. Security being their absolute first priority. Then features - not every On-Premise feature works in the cloud but cost is also something that surprises a lot of people.

If you're dealing with just a hundred users - Exchange Online is potentially a good email solution however once you start hitting a few hundred, or a thousand it's not so tempting.

Exchange Online Plan 2 - $8.00 for each user per month.

500 Users is $8x500 = 4000 or $48,000 per year. If you've got that many users you've probably already have decent hardware, Full-Time-Employees. I can't speak for exact Exchange Licensing but it's comparable. Once you start looking at even bigger deployments, the SLAs for Exchange Online are often not sufficient. Microsoft will certainly offer some kind of guarantee but it's not going to be as affordable.

Lastly, the service is merely hosted and you still need to manage it. You might not need to know how to install Exchange but you're going to need to know how to manage it. Not everything you want to do is in a nice GUI either and you'll need to have somewhat decent understanding of Powershell.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not necessarily. About 4 or 5 years ago we moved from GroupWise to Exchange and I can count on one hand how many times I had to use Powershell, and that was only to get a report of mailbox sizes.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Not necessarily. About 4 or 5 years ago we moved from GroupWise to Exchange and I can count on one hand how many times I had to use Powershell, and that was only to get a report of mailbox sizes.

It's not something that would necessarily be done everyday but I imported users from an existing environment with a csv, adjusted password policies, mass-reset passwords.

Larger environments probably see a ton of PS use. Someone with bigger Exchange background should probably chime in here...

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 20, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Right but I was more talking every day management. One offs like that are for sure better in Powershell. We're not big enough to ever see those type of projects.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I just do storage and I still use PS to get information about our Exchange environment on a fairly regular basis. When you've got 100s of mailbox DBs doing anything by hand is not realistic. And, of course, as stuff like that moves off prem more jobs are created an cloud service providers and those jobs are going to require more skills than your run of the mill sysadmin has, not fewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm not our Exchange admin, but with several thousand mailboxes across multiple sites I know Powershell is used daily for reports if nothing else.