Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Freshman posted:

Aw, aren't you just the cutest little troll! There's an awful lot of talentless robots out there that do nothing more than carry plates, but there are also many of us who take this seriously as a profession and have real passion for what we do. I don't know where you live, but in NYC we have a vibrant dining culture that cultivates and fosters professionals who know what they are doing and do it well. If you're some podunk-rear end kid that does little more than drop swee'tea at a table and call it good, well, you can go back to Arkansas or wherever. Anyway we don't serve that poo poo up here.

Lol this thread seems good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
e:im a dumbass

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 16, 2014

Freshman
Jul 15, 2001

dropped out undecidedly

InterceptorV8 posted:

A tip isn't a tip it's a service charge and god drat it, if you aren't paying 25% or more of a service charge on take out, you are a 1%er bigot.

Nobody expects a tip on takeout, but we're pleasantly surprised if you leave us a buck or two! I don't know why that other guy is so convinced that takeout needs to be tipped like regular service. It's never been that way and likely never will.

interwhat posted:

Passion huh?

Yeah man. Go read something by Anthony Bourdain or Thomas Keller or, poo poo, even Julia Child. Everybody eats, and there's a lot of passion that goes into good food. Cocktail culture is also experiencing a revival, as are craft whiskeys and beer. I blame Mad Men, but whatever the reason, people have really started to care about their drinks. It's pretty cool, you should check it out. I remember the day I fell in love with a perfectly prepared Sazerac. It was a wonderful thing.

Corey Plumper posted:

Lol this thread seems good

Please also include any place that has a vibrant dining culture :) I don't want to be all "NYC gently caress YEAH", there are plenty of places in the world you can go for a lovely gastronomic experience.

Freshman fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 16, 2014

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Freshman posted:

tipping is so ingrained in our society that there is simply no incentive to do away with it.

You've read multiple incentives to get rid of it.

1. All service staff get an agreed-on wage and are not subject to a patron's whim's
2. Patrons (foreign or domestic) will pay what they should
3. A restaurant experience doesn't have to include charity
4. No hurt feels

Besides, tips seem to be more of a point of frustration for those who work for them than those in the place to pay them.

What do you mean there's no incentive to do away with it?

Freshman
Jul 15, 2001

dropped out undecidedly
What I mean is that there's no incentive to do away with it. You've posted methods to do away with it, not incentives. Sure, those are all viable options, and they sound fine to me, but the fact remains that the status quo is a patron paying the staff's wages. This will always be the preferred option from a business owner's perspective. There's no incentive for the business owner to change their ways. As long as they can have a free staff, they will.

At the root of this problem is the federal government's minimum wage of $2.13 for tipped employees. As long as the federal government allows the patrons to pay the staff's wages, and the patrons are happy to pay the staff's wages, the restaurant will take advantage of it. In order for tipping culture to change, we will have to change the way Americans think about dining out, which is a much larger undertaking than I think you realize. You're talking about uprooting a societal norm that has been in place for over a hundred years.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it's a huge battle to fight, in a world with no shortage of (in my opinion) much more important issues, and I think you'd have a hard time convincing any politician to take up the mantle of abolishing tipping when they've got Ferguson and Trayvon Martin and gay marriage and marijuana legislation and whatever the gently caress else to worry about.

p.s. you've had that avatar for a long time haven't you? I remember that from back in the day. Kickass avatar, man.

edit: almost forgot, here is a cool article about some of the history of tipping (and anti-tip movements) in the U.S.

Freshman fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 17, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I am European, let me regurgigate how stupid tipping is and how stupid you are for falling for this scam

Freshman
Jul 15, 2001

dropped out undecidedly

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I am European, let me regurgigate how stupid tipping is and how stupid you are for falling for this scam

You guys invented it! And hey, we're just playing with the hand we're dealt, man. I'm just a lowly guy trying to get by, I would suggest that you redirect your feelings towards the goofballs that put the system into place a hundred years ago :) A quote from the article I posted a few posts up:

Bloombergview posted:

"...Strange as it may seem, tipping wasn't customary in the U.S. before the Civil War. According to Kerry Segrave, author of a book on the custom’s curious history, tipping originated within the elaborate play of manners of the European aristocracy. To tip someone was as much about establishing a hierarchy between superior and inferior as it was about compensating a waiter, valet or servant. Giving a tip was a power play, and accepting one was a sign of servility. Such affectations didn’t sit well with Americans."

Freshman fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 17, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Freshman posted:

You guys invented it! And hey, we're just playing with the hand we're dealt, man. I'm just a lowly guy trying to get by, I would suggest that you redirect your feelings towards the goofballs that put the system into place a hundred years ago :)

As an European I will ignore how lovely my own society so that I can project my problems onto America.

So you give money to those people who carry food around, next thing you tell me you're letting them vote.

Freshman
Jul 15, 2001

dropped out undecidedly

As an European I will ignore how lovely my own society so that I can project my problems onto America.

So you give money to those people who carry food around, next thing you tell me you're letting them vote.

Don't start talking crazy now. As a sidenote, we also tip people who cut our hair, and give us rides in taxis! We're crazy, it's like we just enjoy giving money to strangers.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I've never tipped the person who cuts my hair and she never asked for one. I've never seen anyone else tip in the place either.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I've never tipped the person who cuts my hair and she never asked for one. I've never seen anyone else tip in the place either.
you
MONSTER
:argh:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Freshman posted:

Don't start talking crazy now. As a sidenote, we also tip people who cut our hair, and give us rides in taxis! We're crazy, it's like we just enjoy giving money to strangers.

My first post was facetious actually, and meant to mock people who don't realise how important tipping is. I happily gift serviles with money to make living in whatever Dickensian hellscape they inhabit a little bit easier, except if the fuckers actually add "gratuities" to the bill.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 17, 2014

Freshman
Jul 15, 2001

dropped out undecidedly

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Well of course they're not going to ask for one, how rude. Tipping for a hairdresser isn't as common as for waitstaff, but it happens pretty regularly.. I usually just round up, haircut is $17, I leave a $20. I don't think it's really as expected with hairdressers, though.

My first post was facetious actually, and meant to mock people who don't realise how important tipping is. I happily gift serviles to make living in whatever Dickensian hellscape they inhabit a little bit easier, except if they actually add "gratuities" to the bill. gently caress you, Waterstone's Piccadilly.

This is one of my pet peeves. rear end in a top hat waiters putting a gratuity on the bill and then "forgetting" to mention it when they drop the check. I've even seen guys creatively fold the receipt so it's not clear that a gratuity has been included. gently caress those loving shitstains. Makes us all look bad.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I only tip the circumcised.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

We technically allow them, but only because we know most of them don't.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Freshman posted:

This is one of my pet peeves. rear end in a top hat waiters putting a gratuity on the bill and then "forgetting" to mention it when they drop the check. I've even seen guys creatively fold the receipt so it's not clear that a gratuity has been included. gently caress those loving shitstains. Makes us all look bad.

Ah I see, you're one of the "good ones"

Freshman
Jul 15, 2001

dropped out undecidedly

Ah I see, you're one of the "good ones"

I would say that, as with any profession, on the whole we're "good", with a few bad apples tossed in for variety.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I'm a chef in britain and get a fair portion of the tips atm. When I move to America can I hold the servers hostage by threatening to make them deliberately lovely food unless they give me a portion of their tips?

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Dude. Sazeracs. Mmmmmmmmmm.

I ran a drink special the other day that was a mishmash of an absinthe drip, a Sazerac, and a Vesper. So loving good.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The Saurus posted:

I'm a chef in britain and get a fair portion of the tips atm. When I move to America can I hold the servers hostage by threatening to make them deliberately lovely food unless they give me a portion of their tips?

I thought tipping wasn't a thing there?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
No people tip only its what its supposed to be, an extra for exemplary food or service and it gets equally shared between the whole staff

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Tipping is the first sign you live in a retarded povo-country.

gently caress the USA and gently caress tipping like a reverse hooker bitch.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Only if they bring it out to the car, and only like a buck or two.

On a side note, bathroom attendants are tipping culture taken to the extreme. Some guy staring you down before and after you take a dump because he's looking for a tip is super creepy. And I can wash and dry my own hands thank you very much.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 17, 2014

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

The Saurus posted:

You'd be surprised how often that happens. My favorite Italian place is loving dramatic. The chefs are brutal and the food is salted with waiter tears. The chef staff regularly will stop cooking and stand at the window with their arms folded staring down a waiter who tried to bark at them. The food is always delicious though. The hatred and conflict seem to be the key ingredients to their food. Oh and the lead chef has a wicked handlebar mustache so he looks like the devil in a chef's hat

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Freshman posted:

Well of course they're not going to ask for one, how rude. Tipping for a hairdresser isn't as common as for waitstaff, but it happens pretty regularly.. I usually just round up, haircut is $17, I leave a $20. I don't think it's really as expected with hairdressers, though.

Lol. Expects a buck or two for the 30 seconds it takes to open a beer, only gives 3 dollars for a 30 minute haircut. Hypocrite.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
tip waiters/waitresses and people that deliver food but i aint tipping someone that bags my lunch for me to pick up

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

ZombieParts posted:

You'd be surprised how often that happens. My favorite Italian place is loving dramatic. The chefs are brutal and the food is salted with waiter tears. The chef staff regularly will stop cooking and stand at the window with their arms folded staring down a waiter who tried to bark at them. The food is always delicious though. The hatred and conflict seem to be the key ingredients to their food. Oh and the lead chef has a wicked handlebar mustache so he looks like the devil in a chef's hat

the best is when you're a regular at a place where the owner is a chef and get to see this dynamic suddenly change when the owner swings by during busy times (or just whenever) and operate the kitchen

Dirty Sanchez posted:

Lol. Expects a buck or two for the 30 seconds it takes to open a beer, only gives 3 dollars for a 30 minute haircut. Hypocrite.

he must make it a performance if it takes 30 seconds, ill tip that

Freshman
Jul 15, 2001

dropped out undecidedly

Dirty Sanchez posted:

Yeah cuz that's what I do when I go to work all day is open beers, that's pretty much bartending in a nutshell

1. open beer
2. wait 30 seconds
3. profit

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I usually tip $5 on a $20 haircut.

You can afford it if you're a bartender don't be such a stingy prick imo. Hairdressers live on tips almost as much as fronthouse in restaurants.

The Saurus posted:

Maybe; there's a lot of places that tip the back house out though. Although executive chef in the US is considered management a lot of the time afaik so not quite sure if you can legally take tips in that case.

poo poo sucks though I wish we just got paid more.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 20, 2014

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Freshman posted:

Yeah cuz that's what I do when I go to work all day is open beers, that's pretty much bartending in a nutshell

1. open beer
2. wait 30 seconds
3. profit

When I was a bartender I would say 80%+ of my tips came from opening beers, so yes?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So do bartenders in Europe not get tipped?

That would kind of suck. I enjoy tipping huge on the first drink and then getting VIP service for the rest of the night in a crowded bar.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

It's funny how we go out of our way to justify tipping some employees that do services for us, but not others (grocery baggers, fast food workers, cops, docents, park rangers).

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

lmao in what situation is it even conceivable that you could tip a cop

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
just tell every waiter you are from canada tip 50 cents.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 642 days!

The Royal Scrub posted:

Cop points gun at you, and you "tip" him to not murder you.

Also the idiot babby waiters in this thread have inspired me to never tip again!

Going out to Red Robbin tonight! This is gonna save me a decent chunk of change over time. Seriously, if you are tipping you a big dumb idiot who lives for throwing away money.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

The Royal Scrub posted:

When they remove the body from a dumpster near your house or shoo away a bunch of undesirables loitering in your neighborhood. This would mainly apply to the upper-crust whiteys I guess.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Cesar Cedeno posted:

Cop points gun at you, and you "tip" him to not murder you.

depends on where you are you hand over your drivers license with a 50 folded down the back and see what happens.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Freshman posted:

1. open beer
2. wait 30 seconds
3. profit

I've been a bartender. Yes, that is all you do. Mixing drinks is the loving easiest thing on the planet and I could literally train a monkey to do it with a color coded system.

I typically tip my barber/stylist around 30% though. Don't want people loving up my hair, and you will be remembered as the dude that tips well because they keep little info cards on their clients.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 642 days!
Tipping your barber makes sense, they have to touch you, and speak with you and poo poo. Way more involved then what a waiter does.

Tipping the food/drink monkey too dumb to get a better job or nutless to even demand minimum wage makes little sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well if you go to poo poo chains then yeah whatever enjoy being white trash.

Meanwhile I'll enjoy the free food and drinks and preferential service I get when I go to an actual restaurant and the staff knows I'm a good tipper.

Cesar Cedeno posted:

Tipping your barber makes sense, they have to touch you, and speak with you and poo poo. Way more involved then what a waiter does.

What waiter just drops the food off and doesn't 'speak with you and poo poo?' Also they have 10 other tables to deal with and everyone wants a side of mustard. Whatever though lol you clearly have never worked in the service industry.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 20, 2014

• Locked thread