Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Eeepies posted:

Rumia and Mokou. Down to 12.0.

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: V You know, I was wondering if I'd need to bold one.

Doesn't matter this time, because I'll pick the other one; deploy both Rumia and Mokou, and the total remaining is 12.0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011
Meiling 9.5

edit: ok

Hikarusa fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 9, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
edit: All good now!

Prism fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 9, 2014

Bart Roberts III
Jun 28, 2008
Let's have the tank sisters along. Keine, to 7

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Dai. So we're now at 5.5.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Sakuya, for 3.0.

Never not protagonists.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
I don't see Komachi on the list. Is she force deployed? If she's not available then Reimu . And now we are down to 0.5 cost

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Komachi shows up late to the party. And whew, for a moment there I was worried the thread title was going to end up being ironic.

So I'll be bringing Marisa, Alice, Reimu, Sakuya, Meiling, Keine, Mokou, Rumia, and Dai. Pretty solid team.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh hey, you finally started this! Seems like I'll have some catching up to do. Awesome job so far though! Love all the details and intricate extra stuff. Hope there won't be any burnout despite the updating schedule, this work's pretty huge.

EDIT: I see LPer luck is still somehow a thing. Statistics seem to have been created just to screw you over, heh.
I don't see anyway to improve Alice by IN really... I suppose the full Malice Cannon will be available by then but I'm not seeing her getting Grimoire or Grand Guignole related attacks anytime soon. Although maybe...deploying Titania and Goliath Dolls?

Bart Roberts III posted:

:allears: I can already tell Mokou's going to fit in just fine around here.

If it's not directly apparent, Mokou basically just said she eats birds for breakfast. It's a little reference to one time Mokou threatened Aya away from annoying her by saying she owned a grill.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Actually, I think it's more of a reference to Mokou's bio in Perfect Memento in Strict Sense where Akyuu states that the only description Mokou ever gives about herself is "A health nut that runs a yakitori stand". :eng101:

Oh man, I need to go over my side-stories/material again. These games have a knack of managing to dig up every possible detail you can think of.

HGH fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 9, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HGH posted:

If it's not directly apparent, Mokou basically just said she eats birds for breakfast. It's a little reference to one time Mokou threatened Aya away from annoying her by saying she owned a grill.

Actually, I think it's more of a reference to Mokou's bio in Perfect Memento in Strict Sense where Akyuu states that the only description Mokou ever gives about herself is "A health nut that runs a yakitori stand". :eng101:

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
Echoing the sentiment that it's weird to see Reimu, of all people, brooding like that. I like the writing in these games but this particular beat isn't really working. I hope she doesn't spend too long getting over her funk.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

HGH posted:

EDIT: I see LPer luck is still somehow a thing. Statistics seem to have been created just to screw you over, heh.
I don't see anyway to improve Alice by IN really... I suppose the full Malice Cannon will be available by then but I'm not seeing her getting Grimoire or Grand Guignole related attacks anytime soon. Although maybe...deploying Titania and Goliath Dolls?

Reimu, Marisa, and Keine are all guaranteed to see some sort of upgrade, so Alice is pretty likely to get something to match up. And she's got a convenient power boost literally right in her hands, so yeah. Not really sure what would make her use it, but I guess we'll find out in about a week! :toot:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Of course that statement is amusingly ironic since by all accounts Mokou doesn't take care of her health at all.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Alice also has Hourai dolls, and if they want to go old school they can let her open her grimoire.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Music: Wriggle's Theme

Sanbondo will be uploading the FMW3 PV later today. :toot:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 10, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Alice also has Hourai dolls, and if they want to go old school they can let her open her grimoire.

She can already summon Hourai dolls, I think it's more likely they'll give her something with Titania or Goliath. Though they could do the grimoire, considering Makai will be a location as part of UFO. On that note it's strange to see them adapting UFO before SA unless they plan on cramming that in as well.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Nice to see this LP. I enjoyed the last one a lot.

:siren: History alert ahead :hist101: :siren:

Mokou's last PS (Japanese wiki link, so spoiler I guess?) is actually referring to a tactic (Japanese link) used by a Shimazu daimyo during the Battle of Sekigahara, where he periodically sent out small groups of troops on a suicide mission to slow down the enemies while he escaped. He ended up returning to his territories with only about 80 persons left.

A lot less :black101: than fighting by throwing suicidal troops at your enemies to attack I guess.

Meiling's Last Stand ability, on the other hand, refers to the Battle of Jingxing where the famous general Han Xin led his troops to a bridgehead with a river to their back before fighting a superior army (which means they didn't get to escape if they lost). After their victory, the officers asked Han why he made such an odd deployment, and Han went "well, would you even bother to fight if I gave you an escape route? :smug:"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

:siren: Massive FMW2 spoilers :siren:

The FMW3 trailer is up. Unless you want to bury this thread in spoiler tags, if you want to talk about it you should go to either the Touhou megathread in ADTRW or the SRW thread in Games.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is this going to be the first battle with more than like four people in it? That's going to be interesting.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013

Jeek posted:

Meiling's Last Stand ability, on the other hand, refers to the Battle of Jingxing where the famous general Han Xin led his troops to a bridgehead with a river to their back before fighting a superior army (which means they didn't get to escape if they lost). After their victory, the officers asked Han why he made such an odd deployment, and Han went "well, would you even bother to fight if I gave you an escape route? :smug:"

This is also a reference to the dialogue between Meiling and Reimu in EoSD.

Touhou wiki posted:

Meiling: drat. Time for my last stand combat formation!
Reimu: You're going to set up a formation all by yourself?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BlitzBlast posted:

:siren: Massive FMW2 spoilers :siren:

The FMW3 trailer is up. Unless you want to bury this thread in spoiler tags, if you want to talk about it you should go to either the Touhou megathread in ADTRW or the SRW thread in Games.

Marisa gets to use Stoner Sunshine. :allears:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

cuc posted:

This is also a reference to the dialogue between Meiling and Reimu in EoSD.

Kind of? Last Stand was just how the translator handled the reference to that battle. I followed suit.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Sudden trailer was pretty cool.

BlitzBlast posted:

Reimu, Marisa, and Keine are all guaranteed to see some sort of upgrade, so Alice is pretty likely to get something to match up. And she's got a convenient power boost literally right in her hands, so yeah. Not really sure what would make her use it, but I guess we'll find out in about a week! :toot:

Well, whatever gets me a Grimoire of Alice remix, I'm not complaining. And yup, seems like you were spot on for who gets power-upped (well it was a long time coming anyway).

Fred is on posted:

Echoing the sentiment that it's weird to see Reimu, of all people, brooding like that. I like the writing in these games but this particular beat isn't really working. I hope she doesn't spend too long getting over her funk.
Eh, whenever Reimu does fret over her shrine in the official stuff it doesn't really last. Like, it'll barely be a page or a comment or so.

Jeek posted:

Nice to see this LP. I enjoyed the last one a lot.

:siren: History alert ahead :hist101: :siren:

Hmm...That's funny. This is very reminiscent of something that a Berber/Ummayad General did in Gibraltar. After landing there with his troops, he suppsoedly burned down all their ships and declared:
"O People ! There is nowhere to run away! The sea is behind you, and the enemy in front of you!"
I guess uh... great minds think alike? Despite a 500+ year gap?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

HGH posted:

Hmm...That's funny. This is very reminiscent of something that a Berber/Ummayad General did in Gibraltar. After landing there with his troops, he suppsoedly burned down all their ships and declared:
"O People ! There is nowhere to run away! The sea is behind you, and the enemy in front of you!"

If I recall correctly, this dates back to the Trojan War at least, where King Menelaus ordered the Greek boats burned to stop his warriors from giving up after a ten-year siege.

How they got back home after sacking Troy is, as far as I'm aware, left unanswered.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I recall correctly, this dates back to the Trojan War at least, where King Menelaus ordered the Greek boats burned to stop his warriors from giving up after a ten-year siege.

How they got back home after sacking Troy is, as far as I'm aware, left unanswered.

Presumably, the Trojans themselves had some ships.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

It's also a principle in the Art of War to cut off your escape route so the army fights with only victory or death in mind,

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

HGH posted:

That's interesting. Another great Chinese general, Xiang Yu, did something similar in the Battle of Julu where he made his soldiers sink their ships, destroy all the cooking utensils along with all but three days' worth of supplies before fighting another superior enemy troop (and won).

Desperate moves are effective I guess.

Pureauthor posted:

It's also a principle in the Art of War to cut off your escape route so the army fights with only victory or death in mind,

Yeah - in fact, Han Xin quoted that line in that smug reply too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Dr Pepper posted:

Of course that statement is amusingly ironic since by all accounts Mokou doesn't take care of her health at all.

It's her "stop asking questions" explanation for why she doesn't age.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So I am reading 618 images for chapter 19. This one might take three weeks. :sweatdrop:

Fun fact: you don't get to upgrade any of the characters from the other route split until you beat chapter 21.

Chapter 21 is MoF Stage 4. :suicide:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I managed to come back from my vacation to some great stuff :allears:

Especially that trailer. So many personal favorite characters of mine got to show up and do things.

Also, Rumia's new big attack is goddamned hilarious.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah so FMW3 is really loving great. I'm about done with it now though, so I'll be back to translating this. Expect, as warned, an extra week delay since this chapter has a ton of dialogue.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's kinda crazy how rough and experimental the first game looks by comparison. At the time I thought it was really good but looking at this and its sequel it's just insane how much they improved on the formula.

Best of luck with the translation.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

HGH posted:

It's kinda crazy how rough and experimental the first game looks by comparison. At the time I thought it was really good but looking at this and its sequel it's just insane how much they improved on the formula.

Best of luck with the translation.

FMW3 makes this game look rough and experimental. Like, it's actually somewhat painful to play this one afterward, if only because the menus are so horribly designed (relatively). They also improved the font resolution.

Anyway, I decided to replay this game after beating FMW3, and realized how terrible I am at it. I suppose it doesn't help that I don't understand any of the SRW mechanics like size. I guess this LP taught me how range works? That would have been nice to know earlier. Anyway, I ended up timing out a number of spellcards which is surprisingly effective if you're having trouble. Even if you hate yourself for it, as a gamer.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

FMW3 has readable font that doesn't hurt my eyes too!

... They're gonna release a super compilation when they complete the whole series/game, right? Then all the UI improvements can be put into FMWE and P.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well that was one hell of a delay. What can I say, FMW3 came out and this chapter is crazy dense. v:shobon:v
I may have also finally gotten to work on my massive backlog of model kits.

------

quote:

Hakurei Shrine
Music: Border of Regular and Irregular Days

Full Text

quote:

Okay everybody say hi to each other.

Cirno isn't here.

Neither is Komachi.

The plan is exactly the same as last time, only now there's a route split.

quote:

Invasion! The Sacred Mountain of Autumn

Minoriko posted:

Aaaah~. Human offerings are nice, but there's really nothing better than your own harvest.
Cut to Minoriko roasting some sweet potatoes.

The autumn harvest is just like life. Only those who put in the effort will enjoy its richness.

The Akis can be really deep when they want to.

...Oho, these are starting to smell good. Mmm, make that really good. I'll have to be careful not to overeat.

...Sis told me to only eat one a day, but just one more can't hur-

Shizuha posted:

Oh, so here's where you were.
Shizuha pops in.

Gah, s-sis?! Uh, how about a baked sweet potato!

Huh? Well alright, but I thought they were your favorite food.

Don't worry about it! Anyway, did you need something?

Yes, you should read what the tengu's newspaper said about you. "Crafty Humans Invade Youkai Mountain! The Tengu Alliance Handily Beats Them Back!" is today's headline.

What the, the next line is so cruel! We're introduced as "two gods victimized by the humans"! We're laughingstocks! We even look pathetic in the pictures.

Now that you mention it, even pictures of our smiling faces are a bit painful to look at... what do you want to do about it? It's finally our season, so if we use the power of autumn leaves we could reclaim our dignity.

No, no, we should use the power of sweet pota-

...!

The game always give me the option of setting where I want my characters to spawn. Usually I pair people by friendships.

We're finally here. And just two days after we got chased off.

For a place called Youkai Mountain, it's not quite what I expected. Are there no wild youkai living a carefree existence here?

Uh, you sound like you're talking about animals.

Sakuya's Safari. I'd play it.

Huh, there's somebody over there~.

...I see you all haven't learned your lesson yet.

Those are the god siblings we faced last time.

Let's see, they were... the Scarlet Sisters?

Oh, what a coincidence. They're just like our mistresses back home.

You two are like landmarks. Do you just not have anything to do?

Quiet! We are the Aki Sisters.

Grr... we're being treated like grass again. I've had it with this, sis!

I have as well. But getting frustrated won't help. Haven't the two of us been practicing a technique in case of a time like this?

...Oh! Yeah, let's do that, Shizuha!

Yes, let's show these fools who belittle autumn our might!

...Should we have let them get so fired up? Now they're blocking the way...

Everyone we'll face will be like that. Let's just beat them as fast as possible.

So the usual plan. Let's do it!

quote:

Victory: Defeat Minoriko and Shizuha.
Defeat: All allies defeated.
Bonus: Dodge the Aki Sister's combination attack. Grazing doesn't count.
The bonus for this chapter is great.

Before I start, note that the sweet potato Minoriko was roasting counts as a special terrain.

Mokou kicks things off by getting "hit" by a 30%.

And then she does it again. :psyduck:

Since this is Marisa's route, Mokou starts with absolutely no upgrades or skills. Same goes with the SDM crew in Reimu's route. Needless to say this is kind of annoying!

On the other side, Sakuya's luck is just as bad.

Dai's heal gives her more experience the larger the level difference between her and her target.

This part of the chapter is just a warm-up, probably to get the player used to the new characters from the other route split.

Also great job missing a 91%, Meiling.

On her way to smashing the Akis' faces in, Reimu hit level 18 and learned Instinct. I'm not really a fan since I like my hit rates a solid A+.

Elly posted:

Now that I think about it, what's with those gods? You said they were arguing earlier, but they look fine to me.

On turn 3, stuff starts happening.

Hmm, perhaps their defeat the last time we came has brought them together. By nature they are very closely tied to humanity, so perhaps it'd be best not to battle them.

Huh, you're right. Hey, if you two are pals with humans, how about letting us through?

You have it backwards, we're stopping you because we're friendly to humans. Don't you all know how dangerous this mountain is?

I'm pleased you're so considerate, but there's a reason we came back. I'm sorry, but we'll be forcing our way throu-

Music: Price of Life

ABSOLUTE MYSTERY posted:

Hold on a sec, Ms. Determined To Go To Youkai Mountain!
Look who's late.

!

Oh, that voice is...

Whew, just in time. Looks like things are getting intense.

...Who is that? I've never seen her before, so is she an acquaintance of Sakuya's group?

Yes, she's the friend of Sakuya's we were talking about earlier.

You're late. Were you stopped by some sort of whim?

Hey, I promised I'd come. I might have spent a little too much time chatting with the kid at the souvenir shop... but I made it on time, right?

...You'll have to explain to me where this is considered "on time".

Well anyways, I'm Komachi Onozuka. Nice meeting you all. Oh, I heard this generation's Hakurei shrine maiden was here too.

...What do you want with me?

Oho, so it's you. We've gotten a lot of rumors from the living world of the famous Hakurei shrine maiden.

Reimu's famous? W-wait, did you say from the living world...?

Didn't you hear? I'm a shinigami, straight out of hell.

Why would a shinigami want to help us?

Ah, don't be scared. I'm off today, nothing suspicious.

Aren't shinigami already suspicious as is?

Your background doesn't matter. You came, so lend us a hand.

Leave it to me. I'll ferry the Hakurei shrine maiden's group over to Whatever shrine safe and sound!

Rumia is way behind everyone else in levels, so I feed her a few kills. It'd be nice to at least get her to learn Daunt by PCB.

Three danmaku fields make it almost impossible for Komachi to do much of anything from where she starts (barring Way of Avici), so Mokou and Keine clean things up a bit.

Meanwhile Dai does her thing. Now that she's in Heal range, Keine and Komachi can focus their SP on themselves.

So if I heard you right, you're responsible for the falling leaves every year or something? It's nice that they're pretty, but cleaning up afterwards is a huge hassle.

There seems to be a slight misunderstanding. The lonely autumn leaves are an integral part of the autumn scenery.

Both Akis went for Reimu.

You still smell like sweet potatoes. Do you eat them everyday?

Didn't I tell you last time? Sweet potatoes are my perfume. Usually I just talk about them, but this time I'll make you eat them!

She just won't stop talking about sweet potatoes... if you ask me, anything's fine.

I think you can guess how well it went for them without pictures.

I had Komachi cast Strike earlier out of paranoia at her chances of hitting an 81%, and it ended up paying off when the last remaining enemy attacked her. Only the Akis are left now.

The only person in range to handle the bonus is Reimu, but I forgot grazing didn't count I'd rather not waste the SP on Sense.

So instead I just organize everyone.

Alert is the easiest way to get the bonus.

Now's our chance! Are you ready, sis?

Of course!

Woah, they sure got lively all of a sudden.

Be careful, they're up to something!

Hmph, take a good look. This is our sisterly combination!

Watch the video!

In case you haven't noticed yet, all of the videos of new content in this LP have subtitles. Be sure to turn on closed captions.

:toot:

Kyaaah!?

S-siiis!

Wh-what was that? You two were so intense but then you just bounced away.

It was quite a shocking image. I don't think I'll be reporting this to the mistress.

U-uuugh... that was just a small mistake!

That's right, next time we'll definitely hit!

The real meat of the chapter starts after one of the Akis die. Shizuha drops a bomb and a Rat's Tail, but Minoriko drops a Sweet Potato (restores 10 SP) and I think more Points. I usually just weaken both then flip a coin to see who I beat.

Now I'll send you away with autumn's power! Take this, a sweet autumn aroma!

Hm? Well, this is certainly a very nice scent. Hmm, I wonder what I should make after bathtime. Maybe some chestnuts as appetizers, then pork and mushroom miso soup, with sweet potatoes in both...

Ooooh! I'm getting hungry...

Hmm, it seems you've enchanted me. Mountain vegetables, grilled fish, sweet potatoes...

Gyaaaaah! Hey, don't play around with a god!

It came up tails for Minoriko.

Y-you... We were doing this for your own good!

They won't listen to us at all. I'm not sure what we should do anymore.

I was expecting a little more when they challenged us.

At any rate, this battle has been decided. I'm sorry for the trouble, but we have to hurry onwards.

...Everyone, look over there!

Tengu B posted:

That's as far as you go, humans!
And then Tengu B charged in with her squad from chapter 18M.

The patrol tengu? They must have noticed the invaders.

See, we warned you! Now you're really in for it!

Well, we should make ourselves scarce.

Exit Akis.

...I figured it would be you lot again. Standing guard so cautiously has paid off.

You're the tengu who invaded the Scarlet Devil Mansion yesterday!

Pretty brave of you to show your face again after losing to us!

I've learned from yesterday's small mistake. Reinforcements should be coming momentarily.

Cue Tengu A's group!

...! They're already here!

Gah, getting caught here wasn't in the plan!

Oh that's cute, Keine actually thought the plan would survive first contact.

It wasn't? There's less than I'd thought there'd be.

Okay, I smell some great photos. I knew it was a good idea to double back!

Wh- I was counting on you to contact the main troops, why did you come back?!

Well I thought I might have been running from a scoop. Reporting takes priority~!

This annoying feeling... that must be the crow tengu who attacked Mokou's house!

She's still pretty energetic, huh. I might have to do something about that.

...For crying out loud, this is why crows are unbearable. You'll only move for whatever catches your eye.

You wolves are just hard-headed. I'll get this report finished fast, and then I'll contact the main forces.

...With circumstances like these, we might be able to advance after all.

Mind filling the rest of us in, blondie?

What she means is that the mountain youkai at large still do not know we are here. So all we have to do is make sure this lot keeps their mouths shut.

Geh, curses! We'll just have to stop you here!

quote:

Victory: Defeat all Crow and White Wolf Tengu.
I think you can guess how well that's going to go for the tengu.

The beauty of the bamboo forest has shown her face!

...Saying something like that won't upset me anymore. I'll punish you now!

Keine's at full SP, so she has more than enough Strike to beat all of the birds.

But she doesn't have enough Support Defends to cover Dai, so the latter flees south. She can still heal though Trust, so it's all right.

Mokou must have the worst luck because she got hit by another sub-20%. But since it's enemy phase, HP Regenerate hasn't kicked in yet, so Instinct Dodge has inflated her dodge rates to hilarious levels.

Didn't stop Keine from having to bail her out of a 14% though. :geno:

Music: Greenwich in the Battlefield

On the other side, everyone groups up. Why rush the enemy when I can make them rush me?

Parry! :argh:

You again. I guess you didn't learn your lesson the first time.

If you want an apology, you won't get one. I'd go to the depths of the underworld in search of interesting articles!

Mokou and Keine double-team Tengu A,

This sticky feeling... you must be a slacker!

Oh, you're talking to me. But you know, there's difference between being a slacker and just slacking off.

and Komachi goes for the cherry tap kill. Gonna take a wild guess here and say that that is not the proper way to use a scythe.

Tengu A drops a Flight Charm (raises Sky rating of character/character's attacks to A, almost useless) and a bomb.

Keine takes out another tengu and levels up. Now she has Guard, and just in time.

The eastern tengu rush my formation.

It does not go well for them.

Keine's group is just picking off stragglers now. Mokou learned Strike, again just in time.

Meiling's group quickly handles the bulk of the eastern grunts, leaving only Tengu B.

Hakurei shrine maiden! If you know what's good for you, you'll withdra-

I'm not just going to head back after coming all this way. You're pretty desperate about this, do you want to protect Sanae or something?

As its defenders, Youkai Mountain's peace is our highest priority. That is why we are cooperating with that shrine!

Who gets the brilliant idea to charge at Reimu.

At this point I remembered Dai existed and blew the rest of her SP on Cheer.

I feel as if I've gotten used to fighting tengu.

How impertinent. Let's see if you've "gotten used" to our movements!

Research is essential no matter the enemy. Your confidence is admirable, but can't you see the difference in skill?

I'm pretty sure Reimu can kill Tengu B without anyone else's help, but might as well get Alice some minor battle experience.

I was tempted to do this for laughs, but nah.

That's a wrap. Tengu B drops another Five-colored Shell. It's almost as if these are going to be really important.

There's some extra dialogue if you beat Tengu B last on Marisa's route. Same goes for Tengu A on Reimu's.

Guh, how could I have reached my limit...

You lasted longer than yesterday. I have to praise such an impressive gatekeeper spirit!

Does such a thing exist?

Everyone has a spirit. I've never ferried over a gatekeeper myself, but I bet they'd be really stiff.

To fail in my duties twice, I'm so ashamed...

Alright, we're done here.

Since we've defeated these tengu, nobody will know what happened here!

Everybody has already forgotten the Akis. :allears:

Now then, from here on out we'll split into two groups. Everyone, let's have a quick meeting.

Everyone heads deeper in.

Shizuha posted:

...They're gone.
And now that the coast is clear, the Akis pop up.

Yup. They certainly are strong, they even beat the tengu.

Now I'm even more worried. With that much power, they'll be quite the threat. Still, it'd be best if they avoided meeting the bulk of the mountain's forces...

You're still worried about those humans? I guess you're just that much of a good person. Oh well, let's calm down and get back to work.

You're right. Our purpose is to govern autumn... with its greatest splendor, its leaves.

No, no, with sweet potatoes.

Roll laugh track, fade to credits.

You get the usual option to remove the other side's equipment at this point.

------

Meiling, let's play today too!

Alright, alright. What do you want to play?

Hmm, this time we should play something I heard from Marisa. It's called Close Hands, Open Hands. But she didn't teach me how to play it, can you?

Okay, I know how to play that. First you squeeze your hands.

Like this?

!! E-excuse me, young mistress! I don't think we should play this game after all!

Eeeeh, you won't teach me either? Meanie.

Close Hands, Open Hands is an actual japanese nursery rhyme.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 27, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Youkai Mountain
Music: Border of Regular and Irregular Days

Full Text

quote:

Okay, let's stick with our route split groups.

Mokou's weird so actually I'm going with Reimu! I am the only person with a finisher that's stronger in water.

beep boop what is friendship

No really, what's up with Reimu?
Music: What's the Strategy?

Which conversation plays next depends on whose route you're on.

Full Text

quote:

Isn't this kind of dangerous?

It'll work out. I hope.
Full Text

quote:

Snack time!

Soooo... Mokou?

I literally met her yesterday.
------

Marisa and Alice both put on the shells.

Then everybody but Kurumi gets some upgrades. Mostly for weapons.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 13, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Shizuha posted:

...The defining aspect of autumn leaves is that they'll all eventually fall.
On Reimu's route, it's Shizuha who starts the chapter.

Their beauty lies in the transience of their end. So they're neither lonely nor sad.

Shizuha looks around.

...But it wouldn't hurt to sing for them once in a while. Nobody's watching either... the eeeeelegance of faaaaallll~.

I thought I'd find you'd here, sis.

The eeeeelegance of faaaa- a, ahem. Minoriko, is something wrong?

Shouldn't I ask you that? That was a strange voice you were letting out... well whatever. More importantly, have you read the tengu's newspaper today?!

Let me see... "Crafty Humans Invade Youkai Mountain! The Tengu Alliance Handily Beats Them Back!" is today's headline.

The problem is the next line! We're introduced as "two goddesses victimized by the humans"! We're laughingstocks! We even look pathetic in the pictures.

The rest of the conversation is the same from there.

Chapter 19 is where Lunatic stops loving around. A good chunk of my units are coming in unupgraded from a route split, and as you might recall being unupgraded is a death sentence on Lunatic.

So if you're looking at that picture and wondering why I brought in Elly instead of Rumia, well let's just say I am not the brightest bulb.

This time all of the enemies deploy danmaku at once. This means really harsh penalties.

By the time Komachi shows up, the enemy force has polarized to match my two groups.

And then all of Reimu's enemies gave up on hitting her and rushed my tanks. :shrug:

Skip to the Akis. Their actual combination attack is still a total joke, but their chained regular attacks pack a punch.

If I come home with a god's head, Yuuka will definitely praise me. Prepare yourself!

How are you going to do that with that kind of uncertain motive? I'll turn the tables with sweet potato power!

And how are you going to do that with that kind of uncertain motive? If it's love versus sweet potatoes, love will prevail!

I mean look at this. If Meiling hadn't been defending she would have taken over 2000 damage. Meiling.

So if you're the goddess of autumn leaves, does that mean you can make them turn red?

...? That was a sudden change of topic.

Well, I'm just wondering why you don't make them red all year round. Yuuka can also make any season's flower bloom whenever she wants, but she never takes advantage of it.

I wouldn't know for certain, but it sounds like that person appreciates the four seasons. The autumn scenery has meaning because it's only in autumn. If the leaves were always red, they wouldn't be special!

Since Meiling is fresh off the shelves, she only has one Support Defend. Shizuha takes the chance to snipe Elly.

Everyone, avenge me!

I had a brain fart here and thought Alice was in range to get Aki kicked. I ended up wasting her Alert on a pointless battle.

So you've come again. If you're looking for leaves, I'd be happy to show you a nice location.

That's very nice of you. But right now, I have to help sort out the shrine's affairs first.

At least Marisa hit her 51%.

And that's the Bonus.

I wonder if some autumn crops would make a good souvenir for the young mistress?

Well of course they would. If you want, I can split some of my fruits with you.

Really!? But then again, if I carry too many things around, Sakuya will get angry... when we return, could I meet with you again and then take the fruits?

If that's how it has to be. Now, I'll need a box to keep these from spoiling...

Or I could send you back right now!

Meiling is really intent on getting Flan a souvenir. :unsmith:

I figured autumn leaves would make a good a souvenir for the young mistress.

How admirable. But when it comes to souvenirs, most people bring food.

That's true. Hmm, how troublesome. The young mistress has very difficult tastes, so which should I bring... Oh, I know, I'll just bring both!

...I suppose there's that option too.

The double Aki assault takes down Meiling too, though to her credit she lasted all three attacks.

I'm no match for them, I have to retreat!

Shizuha's constantly casting Focus, which makes beating her far more frustrating. Better to take out Minoriko.

You two are always together, huh. I bet you know everything about each other.

Of course. We trust each other so much that we feel stronger just by being near each other.

...Hm, so it's that kind of thing. Guess I can't make fun of your feelings.

Support Attack chains easily get around Strike'd counterattacks too.

Your skin is so pale. I'm going to drill you in farmwork!

...Where did that come from? Manual labor isn't my strong point, so I'll have to decline.

This is the only part of Amaterasu that kind of looks like the original bullet pattern. Still not sure what Sanbondo was thinking with it.

Reimu goes for the kill...

and makes it! I can't believe this actually shocks me now.

I had Dai cast Cheer too, so Reimu shoots up to level 18 like her Normal mode counterpart.

Seeing as I only have one tank now, splitting up is a no-no. Good thing the AI is aggressive enough on this difficulty to charge me.

And great thing the AI focuses on the protagonist, because both of the crow tengu with Fury try to attack Reimu and get crippled for their troubles.

Those eight squares regenerate health, so Keine lands on one. Since Supports only work if everyone's on the same plane, that means everyone else also lands.

Also danmaku penalties are stacking like crazy.

Komachi blows all of her resources casting Strike and healing herself to full, then targets Tengu A.

Two finishers slice half her health off.

And Reimu goes for broke.

Last time was one thing, but this this time I'm getting my article!

Shut up and get out of my way!

:thurman:

And then everyone rushed Dai.

...Um, have you seen a fairy enter this mountain? She has a green ribbon, and wears blue clothes...

A fairy? A single one is nothing to look out for. Besides, even if I did know, why should I tell you anything?

...Y-you're awful. You didn't have to go that far...

H-hey, don't cry! You're making me feel terrible!

How do you get graze damage from a sword slash?

Please take care of the rest!

The crows all either attack Komachi, who they eventually kill,

Sorry, but I'm going to go relax in the back.

or Keine, who they bounce off of.

Alice deploys a Hourai doll, who immediately drops a bomb. It's weak enough to cripple the already hurt enemies instead of outright killing them.

I make another doll and send her around near the other to help draw fire.

The rest of the turn is spent trying to finish off the crows. I didn't want the bomb to kill them so I could get larger Power boosts from killing them, but unfortunately the RNG did not want to cooperate.

You sure are persistent. Are you mountain youkai scared of us or something?

Of course not. Lady Kochiya ordered us to watch for you lot, so we will not let you pass!

That shrine maiden did? If she's pushing you around like that, she must be a big deal.

Incorrect. We are cooperating with them for the sake of the mountain, not bowing our heads to their every decision!

Oh, and Marisa shot at Tengu B too.

Thanks to Support Defend, the Hourais managed to draw three attacks.

Sakuya even finally triggers Counter and ganks a crow before it can waste one of Keine's Support Defends.

It's interesting how your shield can release danmaku. Where might I be able to buy one?

This was made with kappa technology. A human could never obtain one.

My, how unfortunate. I suppose I'll just have to force you to hand yours over then.

Tengu B should go down next turn.

Mokou blows the last of her SP on Strike. After Marisa and Reimu use it via Support Attack to kill the last two crows,

I wonder if you other tengu have more backbone than the crows?

To run your mouth like that, you must not be aware of our might.

I'll make you eat those words.

she smokes Tengu B. Two tengu left.

One goes down to Killing Doll + Shanghai Doll followed by Artful Sacrifice (all those dolls, wow)

the other goes down to Sakuya's World and a double team. If you're curious, yes, Marisa got hit. She barely lived at 72 HP.

Seriously, if you're unupgraded you're useless on Lunatic. So good thing all of Marisa's team are heading down another route split before I can upgrade them! :suicide:

------

The game has stopped. Thank you for your efforts.

...In the end, Nitori is a mountain youkai. She battles Marisa for no personal benefit.

But Marisa has become attached to Nitori, so she has her own plan. Along with Alice, she tries to talk things out... I'm a little worried about what might happen.

In any case, let's meet again in Chapter 20 of Fantasy Maiden Wars P: "The Other Shore of Friendship".

(Translation Rough Draft)

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 15, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Did you make a music link for the Aki Sister's combination attack? It sounded different to their usual themes.

Also, i'm glad that Komachi is going with Reimu's group because she has been pretty great so far and should, at least, provide some good interactions with the two mopers. Reimu's current attitude is still pretty annoying though and Mokou is not being much better. I know these issues will likely be fixed with the power of friendship and Reimu utterly annihilating Sanae but the writing for this particular development has not been very strong.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

It sounded different because it was based on music from Gunbuster. I'm sure something else was mixed in there, but I couldn't tell you what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Does the Super Inazuma Kick attack work normally if they don't miss?

• Locked thread