Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

YAY! gently caress the haters!

Actually, it's nice to see them get a second chance. There's still a lot of potential there if they aren't blind to what's not working and they are willing to tighten things up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Curious to see where they take it. Hopefully they won't use Cameron's new company as a reset button to rehash the BS from the first season.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I'm glad to see its back.

It might help that I instinctively compare H&CF to the other new show I'm watching: Tyrant.

HC&F isn't a great show (yet?), but I find it much better than Tyrant.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Wow! How about that. Despite all the storytelling failures, I'd like to see more of the show because it nails the period atmosphere awesomely in both visuals and rad soundtrack full of deep cuts.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I'm glad to see its back.

It might help that I instinctively compare H&CF to the other new show I'm watching: Tyrant.

HC&F isn't a great show (yet?), but I find it much better than Tyrant.
See, the problem with 'Tyrant' is that it's consistently boring despite a premise that seems like it has an limitless potential for tension.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
I am not that surprised... in this day of binge watching/on demand shows like this can be looked at as a longer-term investment.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Forgive me, guys, but I would like to take a second to gloat like a complete douchebag about this post:

Meatwave posted:

I wouldn't accept that as fate yet. HCF has few viewers, sure, but it's a bit of a unique case. Other AMC shows like Low Winter Sun that were cancelled had better ratings, but a lot of those ratings were due to Breaking Bad as a fantastic lead-in. HCF's first three episodes ran against loving Game of Thrones in its powerful last three episodes of the season. By comparison, Mad Men's mid-season end at the same time got just 1.9 million viewers to HCF's 1.2 premier a week later in the same slot.

That Mad Men episode included probably the most important historic event to happen during the Mad Men era. It should have done a lot better. And this is HCF, a show that's a slow burn and acquired taste for people who don't know what a BIOS is, so you can't jump right in to episode 4 and know what's going on.

My point is that the HCF ratings were going to be lovely from the very start.

Second, AMC wants to have Emmy-nominated historical dramas on the network. But Mad Men, its main show in that genre, is ending. Better Call Saul got delayed and is not historical. Turn, a historical drama, got renewed despite some pretty lovely reviews from critics and mediocre ratings. But critics seem to like HCF. Of AMC's 26 Emmy nominations, only two didn't go to Breaking Bad or Mad Men, and those were to Walking Dead's effects and sound. Hell on Wheels is doing good, but got no Emmy nominations. If AMC thinks that HCF has some Emmy material, especially in its last few episodes, then that adds value to the show.

Third, AMC is low on shows for 2015 already. They are also trying to build up the Sundance channel, so there's a chance that HCF gets moved to there.

Then there's the final kicker: The audience for HCF is wealthy. There might not be many viewers, but the viewers that do watch the show have money to burn.

That's a lot of good reasons to possibly renew HCF despite its low ratings. It might get overhauled, moved, or only given 5 episodes, but I wouldn't be that surprised to see it renewed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz1Jwyxd4tE

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I'm surprised but also stoked. Good for them.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Hopefully next season is less like the finale and more like the episode before it. Glad this got renewed even if it isn't the best show.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
I wonder why it was renewed? Ratings were horrific and the critics kind of hated it. Anyway, I'm glad.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
It was likely renewed because AMC does not really have much on the programming block with BB gone and Mad Men ending next year. Might as well give H&CF one more year and then ax it if they get a better drama going next year.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Kelfeftaf posted:

I wonder why it was renewed? Ratings were horrific and the critics kind of hated it. Anyway, I'm glad.

Joe talked them into it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Joe talked them into it.

I hope he doesn't burn down the set in the middle of next season.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Count me in as another "surprised, but glad". I wonder if they'll stick with their PC or go off to invent the gameboy or whatever the US handheld gaming equivalent was.

ssbbud
Jan 2, 2014
I totally didn't expect a renewal, but I'm happy for the show to get a second chance. It wasn't a great first season by any stretch, but I couldn't help but watch it every week. Hopefully the writers can learn from their missteps and make season 2 a more cohesive story. Personally I would be ok with Joe, Gordon, and Cameron being killed off in favor of more screen time for Donna.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm as surprised as anyone that this got a renewal. Hell, I'm surprised there's even a thread for this show on SA. I'm not sure how much of the first half of the show I excused because of the title sequence.

The second half (minus the finale) made up for it, though. I'll probably be back for the next season, which I hope creates kind of a Habitat/birth-of-online-community sort of angle.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Wow! How about that. Despite all the storytelling failures, I'd like to see more of the show because it nails the period atmosphere awesomely in both visuals and rad soundtrack full of deep cuts.

It has a great cast too, the writers just gotta give them better things to do and say.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Holy cow! Apparently, everything I thought I knew about TV ratings is wrong.

Edit: So it sounds like Halt and Catch Fire actually had much better Live+7 ratings than Low Winter Sun, even though you wouldn't have guessed so by the published numbers. What I think I'm gonna take away from this is that with DVR viewing being unpredictable, the ratings for cable shows are so opaque that there's not much point in predicting show renewal or cancellation, unless it's obviously some monster hit.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 21, 2014

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Sucrose posted:

Holy cow! Apparently, everything I thought I knew about TV ratings is wrong.

Edit: So it sounds like Halt and Catch Fire actually had much better Live+7 ratings than Low Winter Sun, even though you wouldn't have guessed so by the published numbers. What I think I'm gonna take away from this is that with DVR viewing being unpredictable, the ratings for cable shows are so opaque that there's not much point in predicting show renewal or cancellation, unless it's obviously some monster hit.

This is exactly why the TVbytheNumbers guys don't predict cable show renewals/cancellations. Cable network ratings are less useful metrics for success than profits from retransmission fees and selling shows to foreign markets at this point. It would be interesting to see how this would have played out if AMC didn't have The Walking Dead to use as a big stick when negotiating fees with cable/satellite companies.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Renewed.

E: Oh thanks for not updating the thread for me, phone.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

More Kerry Bishé and Lee Pace is always good. Hopefully we get more episodes like the Comdex one and less like the finale.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Hope the network makes them bring in new writers. If they do that I'm cautiously optimistic. Maybe snag someone off the Mad Men staff.

As for critical reception, the important critics liked it, AV Club isn't that significant.

It's easy enough for them to junk the idiocy of the last episode, just jump forward in time a year and say Joe acquired Cameron's lovely company or something.

We're moving into the modem and BBS era, that should be fun.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Gail Wynand posted:

We're moving into the modem and BBS era, that should be fun.

Oh L.O.R.D.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Somebody made a browser version of that.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
This gif from another thread reminded me of HCF:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Daaaaaaaaaang, nice find. He even looks like Joe.

Also, I'm in the surprised-but-pleased crowd as well. I think the cast's solid, and I hope the writers learn what Supernatural's writers don't seem to have, and that's the show's better when the principals work together. If nothing else, it'll give the cast members more exposure, which means it'll be easier for them to get more work, and for us to see them in other things.

On top of Mad Men / Breaking Bad ending, perhaps AMC doesn't want to have another Rubicon - killing off a new show before it can get consistently good. Though it's not for everyone and not without its flaws, I think Rubicon is better than HACF at the end of its first season.

poo poo. Rubicon.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Gail Wynand posted:

As for critical reception, the important critics liked it, AV Club isn't that significant.
It used to be, but they've literally bled out their entire staff of worthwhile TV and Film writers to other better publications, and the sorry hacks that remain are so insufferable and bad at what they do I no longer even go there when it was a daily visit for the better part of the 00s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I hope Toby Huss got written out because of a schedule conflict and that he'll be back in some form next season, because Toby Huss is the loving poo poo.

• Locked thread