Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Do anyone have any recommendations/horror stories for a DaaS provider?
I like Amazon WorkSpaces because it's Amazon but my client choices seem pretty limited.
We use Vmware and horizon sounds cool and there's a slew of partners doing this.

Don't know the space very well so trying to get a feel for who the best companies are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Do anyone have any recommendations/horror stories for a DaaS provider?
I like Amazon WorkSpaces because it's Amazon but my client choices seem pretty limited.
We use Vmware and horizon sounds cool and there's a slew of partners doing this.

Don't know the space very well so trying to get a feel for who the best companies are.

I can tell you that if you're looking for a true Windows desktop (Windows 7/8/8.1) from a provider, you won't find it. Microsoft does not allow hosting providers to deliver desktop operating systems. The best you'll get is a Windows Server instance with terminal services and the "desktop experience".

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Richard Noggin posted:

I can tell you that if you're looking for a true Windows desktop (Windows 7/8/8.1) from a provider, you won't find it. Microsoft does not allow hosting providers to deliver desktop operating systems. The best you'll get is a Windows Server instance with terminal services and the "desktop experience".

Interesting, didn't know licensing was the reason behind that. I've seen it but haven't been too concerned by it, are there any major gotchas because of this? We use terminal services here to handle ~10 remote users and afaik there haven't been many issues with it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

This may be a dumb question, but is there a preferred "go to" USB drive for diskless ESXi machines, or should I just be buying a case of 16GB+ flash drives and swapping them out when they die?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Maneki Neko posted:

This may be a dumb question, but is there a preferred "go to" USB drive for diskless ESXi machines, or should I just be buying a case of 16GB+ flash drives and swapping them out when they die?

I have used a few different kinds, never noticed a difference between any of them. All 8gb.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Maneki Neko posted:

Your ESXi boot partition is rarely written and rarely read so you're unlikely to wear out your flash drive any time soon.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Interesting, didn't know licensing was the reason behind that. I've seen it but haven't been too concerned by it, are there any major gotchas because of this? We use terminal services here to handle ~10 remote users and afaik there haven't been many issues with it.

The gotchas are apps that are not supported on either a server OS or in a TS session. Other than that, not really.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Richard Noggin posted:

The gotchas are apps that are not supported on either a server OS or in a TS session. Other than that, not really.

Well hell given that nobody is replying to DaaS, I'm guessing most people do it themselves.
I can see the pros to this, so thoughts on Horizon vs Citrix VIB vs HyperV for ~100 users? We're primarily a vmware shop, but I hear citrix is better for this.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Is there a way to tell who took a snapshot in Hyper-V?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Ha, did you have a datastore fill up?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

In VMM you could just check who ran the job. With just Hyper-V, I have no idea.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sickening posted:

Ha, did you have a datastore fill up?
For the fourth time - the next time this happens I am formatting the datastore and QA can take the week off. :ssj:

We use Hyper-V in about half of our test environments - the other half of test and all of prod are vSphere. Obviously the team is a lot more familiar with VMware. But no matter what I do, I can not get people to understand that no, you do not know what you're doing in Hyper-V. Yet this is constantly an issue and it's killing me slowly.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm in datastore hell. The guy who set up all these hosts before me allocated 99% of the datastore to VMs, thick provisioned, with no thought for future expansion or backups. So now when I come in and am asked to do Veeam backups I am literally just .. "welp"

Also, with regards to my stupid SSD issue from a page or two ago. I booted up the loving VM today and my DAVGs are all normal. Worst -- loving -- timing since I just got VMware on the phone to start verifying this. HAS to be something to do with the SSDs, like garbage collection or something. Not even sure what to do now. I don't want to put my production VM back on that box in case it happens again but I can't find anything wrong with it at this point. My vendor actually verified that they were seeing the same problems I was so they'll back me up to a point, but I don't even really know what they can do about it at this point if everything checks out between HP and VMware.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Martytoof posted:

I'm in datastore hell. The guy who set up all these hosts before me allocated 99% of the datastore to VMs, thick provisioned, with no thought for future expansion or backups. So now when I come in and am asked to do Veeam backups I am literally just .. "welp"

Also, with regards to my stupid SSD issue from a page or two ago. I booted up the loving VM today and my DAVGs are all normal. Worst -- loving -- timing since I just got VMware on the phone to start verifying this. HAS to be something to do with the SSDs, like garbage collection or something. Not even sure what to do now. I don't want to put my production VM back on that box in case it happens again but I can't find anything wrong with it at this point. My vendor actually verified that they were seeing the same problems I was so they'll back me up to a point, but I don't even really know what they can do about it at this point if everything checks out between HP and VMware.

How full are the SSDs?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

How full are the SSDs?

It's 8 236GB drives in a RAID 10 setup. Our only VM is 512GB so there's only data to fill a little more than half the drive capacity. I don't know how the RAID controller is distributing the data though.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Finally got my cluster up to 5.5u1. Is 2012R2 just part of the 2012 OS profile when you're deploying a VM or am I missing something?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I've been deploying it using the 2012 option for a while with no issues.

E: I guess the OSes are similar enough that they didn't need to make a new profile.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Now that I'm on 5.x, the cores per socket feature. Does that have performance benefits for multi-cpu VM's by keeping the vCPUs from spreading out over multiple sockets on the host, or is it more to help comply with software licenses that go by by socket count and you get screwed by the every core counts as a socket thing?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Now that I'm on 5.x, the cores per socket feature. Does that have performance benefits for multi-cpu VM's by keeping the vCPUs from spreading out over multiple sockets on the host, or is it more to help comply with software licenses that go by by socket count and you get screwed by the every core counts as a socket thing?

It's generally best to go with a flat-and-wide vCPU configuration of one core per socket to avoid spreading the workload across NUMA nodes.

Edit: thanks Misogynist, that's the exact article I was thinking of when I wrote this post!

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 25, 2014

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yes, the feature was added to appease certain licensing situations.

To expound on cheese-cube's answer about performance:

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2013/10/does-corespersocket-affect-performance.html

The short answer is that in most cases, it will not affect performance at all. However, you have specific circumstances, like on hyperthreaded Intel processors or on Bulldozer-family Opterons, where you can cause some performance problems. If you allocate too many cores per socket you can end up forcing your VM to run on HyperThreading logical processors or on Bulldozer integer units sharing a pipeline instead of spreading the workload to a higher-performing core on another CPU.

If you're allocating less than half the threads available on a specific CPU as cores per virtual socket, you'll never see this in practice.

If it makes sense to run the workload for a VM entirely on a single NUMA node, the vmkernel is smart enough to do that for you already, so you'll basically never see an increase in performance by trying to force the workload into a specific NUMA topology.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 25, 2014

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Also in very extreme circumstances you can increase memory latency by over-saturating QPI/HyperTransport due to workloads being spread across physical NUMA nodes (I've never seen this proven but it's still a possibility).

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, I figured as much. With the 6 core 2 socket hosts I never go above 3 vCPU per VM to help keep the ready time down. At least this gives me an option for the lovely Oracle licensing.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Double check that license, I've heard of some newer products that license by the physical machine size and not the vm running on it.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
That's good info to know. I never realized that corespersocket could impact performance.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Are there any drawbacks on enabling VT-x on my VMs across the board? Will it screw with how VMware handles cpu resource scheduling?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Interesting announcements from VMware today. Apparently they'll be putting out their own OpenStack distribution next year? Having trouble finding a ton of detail (presumably because of NDA fuckery) but it seems to boil down to official support and easy installation. So you can use all of the OpenStack API's and tooling to build and manage your cloud, and under the hood it's running on vSphere for the hypervisor instead of the more typical KVM or Xen. Which I gather is theoretically possible to do already, but pretty ugly in practice.

Here's the least terrible writeup I've come across so far.

They're building closer ties with Docker, too.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
Anyone out here for VMWorld? I am going to a few sessions this week but didn't have enough free time to dedicate the whole week like I did last year.

CtrlMagicDel
Nov 11, 2011
I'm at VMworld for the first time, holy crap you can be drunk here 24/7 for free. Shoot me your contact info at my username dot gmail if you want to meet up, would love to meet another goon!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ESXi 5.5 question. I have a drive full of data that is coming out of a non-virtualized server, about 1480GB of data on a 1500GB drive, so 20GB free. The problem is I dont really have a drive at-hand that can take the data from this drive I'm moving

I'd like to plug it into a VMware server, and ideally have a vmdk created with this data inside of it. Whats the best way to get the data into a vmdk without moving it off the drive? I was thinking about creating a thin-provisioned VMDK for the size of the data, but I dont know how to get the data to move from the drive into the VMDK. As far as I know, vsphere cant do that?

Is there a way to create a VMDK that encapsulates existing data?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

ESXi 5.5 question. I have a drive full of data that is coming out of a non-virtualized server, about 1480GB of data on a 1500GB drive, so 20GB free. The problem is I dont really have a drive at-hand that can take the data from this drive I'm moving

I'd like to plug it into a VMware server, and ideally have a vmdk created with this data inside of it. Whats the best way to get the data into a vmdk without moving it off the drive? I was thinking about creating a thin-provisioned VMDK for the size of the data, but I dont know how to get the data to move from the drive into the VMDK. As far as I know, vsphere cant do that?

You're going to be kind of boned here IMHO. Even if you could create the thin VMDK on the same drive, the existing partition won't shrink when you move data over so your VMDK will grow to 20GB and that's all she wrote.

Intermediate storage is pretty much your best bet I think.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't think there is any way to do what you're asking. You need storage to copy to.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Are any of you VMworld people coming down to the south bay at all? I decided to skip VMworld this year, because it is usually pretty boring.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Martytoof posted:

You're going to be kind of boned here IMHO. Even if you could create the thin VMDK on the same drive, the existing partition won't shrink when you move data over so your VMDK will grow to 20GB and that's all she wrote.

Intermediate storage is pretty much your best bet I think.

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't think there is any way to do what you're asking. You need storage to copy to.

Bah, thats kind of what I thought. I was hoping I could get away without having to buy another hard drive, but oh well.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Regarding VSAN SAS controllers, the LSI 9211-8i is on the VSAN SAS controller HCL. You can find this controller on ebay for decent prices listed as IBM M1015 and then crossflash it to the 9211-8i IT firmware if you want to play with VSAN in a home lab.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, easy enough, since you have the physical drive:
Attach the disk to an ESXi server and access it via RDM, attached to a virtual machine. In the Guest/VM, you can then mount the drive as a normal local disk and copy your data over to the other local disk, stored on a datastore as a regular virtual disk.

Often RDMs cannot be created for local disks using the user interface, so use http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2046370 or: "vmkfstools -z /vmfs/devices/disks/<disk id> /vmfs/volumes/yourdatastore/yourvm/yournewdisk.vmdk"
Then attach the disk to your VM (can be done live).
If you don't want to do an in-Guest copy, you could still do the process above, but then do a clone from the RDM to a new thin disk: vmkfstools -i -d thin your-rdm.vmdk your-new-thin-disk.vmdk

If you can't stick it in the physical ESXi server, then I'd suggest using VMware Converter.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 27, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I think you're losing track of free space there. The existing partition won't be shrinking as the VMDK is expanding, so as Martytoof mentioned, you'll only get 20gb copied into the VMDK before the operation fails.

e: I'm imagining some shockingly painful pattern of moving about 10gb worth of files into a thin provisioned VMDK, defragmenting and then shrinking the partition, and copying another 10gb at a time here. This of course, going on until you remember that, oh yeah, 4TB hard drives are like $130 at Costco.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 27, 2014

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Okay, I think I finally understand here. The creation of said VMDK is supposed to be on the very same drive? Yes, your idea of shimmying the data around, combined with lots of partition resizes, is the only way to do this. Really should just get a large drive and actually migrate the data.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, I'll just pick up a bigger drive and move the data. I figured if there was an easy way to get vmware to just encapsulate existing data in a VMDK and save me a drive purchase, then I'd do it, but that seems not to be the case.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
Do any of you guys use Nimble Storage? We're looking to move off of using Hitachi SAN and getting a dedicated storage array solely for VMs, and Nimble seems like a pretty attractive option, but I'm wondering if there's any horror stories out there since it's still a relatively young technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Cidrick posted:

Do any of you guys use Nimble Storage? We're looking to move off of using Hitachi SAN and getting a dedicated storage array solely for VMs, and Nimble seems like a pretty attractive option, but I'm wondering if there's any horror stories out there since it's still a relatively young technology.

You should post this in the enterprise storage thread, but the general opinion on Nimble is very positive. I've had a couple of horror stories, but every vendor has those so it's not a big deal. If you're fine with iscsi and limited app integration (which you probably are if you're using Hitachi) then you'll probably like it.