Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
The opening to RE2 is hard, but so good.

I haven't played very much RE3*, but I remember making it to the RPD years ago. Is RE3 mostly like the beginning of RE2? Because I would play the poo poo out of a game that was a much longer version of the opening of RE2...

* I know :negative:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Man, remember when you couldn't just use herbs that were on the ground? Used to be if you didn't have inventory space you were poo poo out of luck :corsair:

This was the most frustrating thing when I was a kid.

"I'm about to die, but I'd better leave that life saving health on the ground there because my pockets are full!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Mogomra posted:

I haven't played very much RE3*, but I remember making it to the RPD years ago. Is RE3 mostly like the beginning of RE2? Because I would play the poo poo out of a game that was a much longer version of the opening of RE2...

This was the most frustrating thing when I was a kid.

"I'm about to die, but I'd better leave that life saving health on the ground there because my pockets are full!"

You spend a lot more time in the streets in RE3 and barely any time in the police station. But to be quite honest, I don't like RE3 very much. I would play Code Veronica over it anyday.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

blackguy32 posted:

I think the problem with the comparison with RE1 and RE2 is that in RE2, you can tank a lot of hits. In RE1, if you were chris, you could take maybe 2 bites before you are at least at yellow fine if not caution. With RE2, you can take 3 if not more and still be doing well.

RE1 is tough because if you don't know what you are doing, you can easily get stuck with very little health options, because for some reason, RE1 is really bad a putting herbs right next to each other yet not giving you much space to carry them.

I played and beat RE2 before even touching RE1, but I found RE2 infinitely easier. They made a lot of concessions to make the game much easier than its predecessor.
If you got bit once by zombies in RE1 in a room with nearby zombies, you are stunlocked to death. Imagine pushing one zombie back while another instantly grabs you and you had twice the health you get in RE2. It would take a minute to die and you can't do poo poo about it. Makes traveling through the Mafia area in GTAIII look like a good idea.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

limited posted:

The Evil Within

Why is the framerate so bad? Wasn't the whole point of IdTech 5 that it's 60FPS? RAGE (even on PS3) and Wolfenstein pulled this off.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Why is the framerate so bad? Wasn't the whole point of IdTech 5 that it's 60FPS? RAGE (even on PS3) and Wolfenstein pulled this off.

Was wondering that the whole time while playing it at Quakecon. The thing has some serious graphical technical issues in terms of choppiness, even on the PS4.

The controls aren't really that clunky though- if you've played Shadows of the Damned they're actually pretty much based exactly on that up to the point to where the combat feels almost exactly the same on a base level. It's got the same 'use healing item button', weapon quick-switch menu and crappy melee button that Shadows had. The resource management and encounter designs are obviously different and there's definitely something interesting there in terms of experimenting with a RE4-like combat design while still maintaining the resource management and scramble characteristic of 'survival horror'.

Really interested to see where it goes- Really doubt it'll be a masterpiece but at the very least it seems like it'll be a really interesting experiment in attempting to do that 'survival horror' type of game in the modern setting.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

blackguy32 posted:

RE4 dynamic difficulty

This explains so many of those bizarre moments I've been having with RE4 with completely idiosyncratic amounts of damage taken from different attacks and shots needed to kill things.

That is so needlessly complex and is doing nothing but getting on my nerves while playing though so I don't even understand why they'd do that.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Mogomra posted:

Not really. There's a drastic difference in tone besides the obvious ones of gear and opposition.

In RE2, the tone for the early city-section part of the game seems designed to make you feel hosed beyond the telling of it. The opening cutscenes both set the scene, with Leon discovering a dead body in the road then tangling with quite a few zombies, while Claire enters a diner, finds a zombie that starts chasing her around, and is cut off from her bike by more zombies pounding on the doors. The resulting meeting still has them in danger, with the only safe-haven being a nearby police cruiser, which is ruined during the drive by a zombie hiding in the back seat. Being separated and with zombies closing in, it really sets the feeling down. Then it further increases the feeling by having the zombies closing in constantly and chasing you from bolthole to bolthole, usually onto the scene of another horrible thing. They break into the gunshop and kill the owner in front of you. Later you find zombies feeding on two fresh kills, before going through a wrecked bus full of corpses, then after leaving that you run into a sign that even the police haven't exactly fared well. Namely, a bunch of zombies staggering around more dead cops and ruined police equipment, just right outside the police station that you thought was safe. Even when you get inside, the zombies sieging the building makes you think even this relative safety will be short lived.

In a way, RE3 doesn't capture that tone. Instead, it gives you the feeling that Jill is in control and actively avoiding the horrors. For starters, after running into a large number of zombies who chase her into an alleyway, she loses them by hiding in a warehouse. After restocking and waiting for things to cool down, she wanders out onto the city streets which seem a lot more safer than the ones in RE2. Sure, there's more opposition, but the zombies are generally milling around doing their own thing, and the area is usually large enough that running past them is almost always an option. The design seems to make it seem like Jill is avoiding areas that Leon and Claire went through, i.e. the worst parts of the city, but even then everything about the streets sections in RE3 seems quiet. Most of the really horrible things that happen either happen off camera (Most of the deaths) or Jill doesn't seem particularly fazed by them. There are exceptions, but they at least make some sense for the scene.

Then Nemesis shows up and the quiet tone you've been getting used to is shattered by "OH poo poo RUN" tension. His first real introduction is killing a teammate in front of you like it isn't poo poo and then the game flat out tells you to run with the Decision System. Actually fighting him your first few times is bound to end in tears: Nemesis is fast, hits like a truck, possesses an instant-kill attack that's pretty horrible to look at, sometimes has a loving rocket launcher that will gently caress you up at range, and takes a lot of ammo to drop. Combine that with Capcom being pretty decent at setting up the tension when he's involved (Hearing distant thumps of his heavy footsteps or a distant scream, hearing hints of his theme-tune for no reason before he comes barreling into the scene), and even when you know what you're doing Nemesis showing up is enough to make you feel dread. Just about every time Nemesis shows up, things get worse for all involved. Then there's the fact that the fucker follows you from room to room in some sections, which nothing else in the series has done at this point or even does again until the REMake and Outbreak, and it just adds to it.

Summary version: RE3 is generally less tense than RE2's opening or really the entire game, save for the Nemesis showing up.

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 20, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

This explains so many of those bizarre moments I've been having with RE4 with completely idiosyncratic amounts of damage taken from different attacks and shots needed to kill things.

That is so needlessly complex and is doing nothing but getting on my nerves while playing though so I don't even understand why they'd do that.

The coolest thing ever is when your life is really low and the scythe monks instantly decapitate you by throwing their scythe across the screen and back like a boomerang.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

The gear really is a huge difference too alongside the tone, though. Jill comes equipped with some serious firepower early on and zombies drop like flies to her- the shotgun she gets alongside the ammunition she gets/the ammo you can make is enough to street sweep the poo poo out of pretty much every single enemy you encounter except for Nemesis. Who you then just wreck with the grenade launcher you get like directly after the first encounter with him.

Or you could get the Magnum too but that's still another really powerful weapon that lets you just ream Nemesis for even stronger weapons whenever you encounter him.

RE3 is really by far the easiest 'classic' RE to beat, but drat if it's not my favorite one too.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
That adaptive difficulty stuff explains why I was finding RE4 so tough this time around, then. I was playing the PC version and was finding it much tougher than I remembered the PS2 version being. I've only died once up to the point I've played so far, whereas I'd have probably died several more times back on the PS2.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Eh, it's meant to throttle your experience so that the game is neither so easy that you're bored, or so hard that you're endlessly frustrated. The problem is that in my personal experience, enemies are never the real threat - instant kill bullshit, or button mashing events, or QTEs are what's going to kill you, and the game will then decide that you're a loving idiot and make it easier to fight the monsters... who weren't doing jack to you, anyway.

Honestly, when they included the option to disable quicktime events entirely in the PC version of RE6, it redeemed the entire game for me just from that alone.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Fereydun posted:

The gear really is a huge difference too alongside the tone, though. Jill comes equipped with some serious firepower early on and zombies drop like flies to her- the shotgun she gets alongside the ammunition she gets/the ammo you can make is enough to street sweep the poo poo out of pretty much every single enemy you encounter except for Nemesis. Who you then just wreck with the grenade launcher you get like directly after the first encounter with him.

Or you could get the Magnum too but that's still another really powerful weapon that lets you just ream Nemesis for even stronger weapons whenever you encounter him.

RE3 is really by far the easiest 'classic' RE to beat, but drat if it's not my favorite one too.

This is largely true as well, though in some ways RE2 still beats out 3. Claire can get an obscene amount of grenade rounds over the course of her game, in addition to the "useless" crossbow bolts*. Leon, conversely, can get a shitload of shotgun and magnum rounds, which makes pretty much any fight he's in a breeze after the police station. I want to say that on a B scenario (where you'll get the most ammo regardless) you'll end up with 30-60 of each grenade type, or 80 magnum rounds and easily a hundred and forty shells.

Compare that to 3, where unless you go out of your way to make them with the powders you get maybe 12 spare magnum bullets, maybe six or eight packs of grenades in total (with only an outside chance of one pack being flame and one pack being freeze grenades), and maybe 6 or 7 cases of shotgun shells around the place. Sure, you can probably max out one group of those pretty nicely and exceed the usual amount, maybe even two, but there's just not enough powder to reach RE2's ridiculous ammo amounts. So you have all these options, with a sort of decent ammo spread, but the stuff to focus on what you really want** as opposed to getting stuck with a bunch of "useless" acid grenades or something.***

(*The crossbow's actually pretty useful for some enemies: it can handle lickers decently well and has a limited tracking ability that works great on dogs. While it lacks the instant kill of the shotgun it still can knocks zombies out of a fight with a shot or two from it. So I don't see why everyone finds it useless. Less optimal than the shotgun, maybe, but not useless.)
(** unless you want to use the Mine Thrower; then you're hosed.)
(*** I used acid grenades because for some strange reason everyone I know who's played the game loving hates acid grenades, even after me explaining their uses. Dunno why, I guess it's just because they don't gently caress up zombies that they hate them.)

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 20, 2014

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I was only a teen when I played it but I loved RE3 and replayed it multiple times. Having Nemesis constantly show up to wreck your poo poo is one of my most memorable vidyagames experiences.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Blackheart posted:

I was only a teen when I played it but I loved RE3 and replayed it multiple times. Having Nemesis constantly show up to wreck your poo poo is one of my most memorable vidyagames experiences.

:hfive: Remember that moment at the end where you get to choose to finish off Nemesis or just keep running? Finishing off that fucker was one of the most satisfying videogame experiences I've had. I thought the branching storyline was really cool.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
You know I can honestly say that I've never wanted to see one of the good guys in RE get eaten by zombies until I played Revelations and was introduced to the character that is Jessica. Ashley? Not a problem if you aren't always letting her get grabbed. Helena? She has cool luchadore moves, I can dig it. But I can't bear Jessica for the life of me. Her outfits, her lines, shooting that redheaded guy, it's all hosed.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Jessica is a low rent Ada in a game that doesn't need one

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Hearing about a new Revelations game is pretty exciting, but I wish they'd implement a Peace Walker-type co-op mode for campaign. Periodically waiting for my buddy to unlock raid stages whenever he has time to play the campaign is frustrating when we should be just blasting through it together.

Really though, PW co-op would have made 5 and 6 much better too. AI partners suck (although I guess they were ok in Revelations in that iirc you could completely ignore them without consequence) and playing with friends owns. Who cares if it makes sense in the narrative.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vanrushal posted:

Hearing about a new Revelations game is pretty exciting, but I wish they'd implement a Peace Walker-type co-op mode for campaign. Periodically waiting for my buddy to unlock raid stages whenever he has time to play the campaign is frustrating when we should be just blasting through it together.

Really though, PW co-op would have made 5 and 6 much better too. AI partners suck (although I guess they were ok in Revelations in that iirc you could completely ignore them without consequence) and playing with friends owns. Who cares if it makes sense in the narrative.

If Revelations is console-focused I'd bet it has online play as a basic thing.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

ImpAtom posted:

If Revelations is console-focused I'd bet it has online play as a basic thing.

I would hope so, but I want whatever campaign they offer to be balanced around single player, while allowing co-op to be possible if that makes sense. Like you'd have AI Parker being his regular unobtrusive self or even absent if the story calls for it, but then you play with a friend and they're your Parker, while on their side you're their Parker and maybe the monsters are stronger to compensate for 2 people. The forced "co-op" with the AI if you rolled solo in 5 and 6 was far from ideal, imo.

I do like playing with friends, but I've found playing the campaigns solo to be where I've invested most of my time in REs 4-6 and 5 and 6 just weren't designed around solo being the optimal way to play and I find it frustrating. You don't have to gimp singe-player modes to allow co-op Capcom, I promise.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I should really go back and see if I can still play the older RE games, I haven't tried one for years. I think 2 is still the only game where I got all the secrets, doing all the bullshit finishing in under a couple of hours while one having one save and no first sprays thing. Never did beat the Tofu mission though, no good with just a knife.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Finished Revelations, I liked the story and I look forward to the sequel with hopefully a greater scale. Now I just need my buddy to play through it so we can get our Raid mode on!

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Backhand posted:

Eh, it's meant to throttle your experience so that the game is neither so easy that you're bored, or so hard that you're endlessly frustrated. The problem is that in my personal experience, enemies are never the real threat - instant kill bullshit, or button mashing events, or QTEs are what's going to kill you, and the game will then decide that you're a loving idiot and make it easier to fight the monsters... who weren't doing jack to you, anyway.

Honestly, when they included the option to disable quicktime events entirely in the PC version of RE6, it redeemed the entire game for me just from that alone.

Speaking personally, the hardest part of RE4 for me has always been the big watery room which I think is right after you face the first blind Wolverine guy (whose proper name escapes me at the moment) and in that room you just face an absolute ton of cultists which I have to be very slow and methodical in dealing with, and then you're stuck in a little room turning a crank (or having Ashley turn a crank? I think you could do either) and enemies drop in through a hole in the roof and either kill you or steal Ashley.

But then again I actually enjoy QTEs, so clearly I'm deeply damaged in some way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mountain Lightning posted:

Not really. There's a drastic difference in tone besides the obvious ones of gear and opposition.

In RE2, the tone for the early city-section part of the game seems designed to make you feel hosed beyond the telling of it. The opening cutscenes both set the scene, with Leon discovering a dead body in the road then tangling with quite a few zombies, while Claire enters a diner, finds a zombie that starts chasing her around, and is cut off from her bike by more zombies pounding on the doors. The resulting meeting still has them in danger, with the only safe-haven being a nearby police cruiser, which is ruined during the drive by a zombie hiding in the back seat. Being separated and with zombies closing in, it really sets the feeling down. Then it further increases the feeling by having the zombies closing in constantly and chasing you from bolthole to bolthole, usually onto the scene of another horrible thing. They break into the gunshop and kill the owner in front of you. Later you find zombies feeding on two fresh kills, before going through a wrecked bus full of corpses, then after leaving that you run into a sign that even the police haven't exactly fared well. Namely, a bunch of zombies staggering around more dead cops and ruined police equipment, just right outside the police station that you thought was safe. Even when you get inside, the zombies sieging the building makes you think even this relative safety will be short lived.

In a way, RE3 doesn't capture that tone. Instead, it gives you the feeling that Jill is in control and actively avoiding the horrors. For starters, after running into a large number of zombies who chase her into an alleyway, she loses them by hiding in a warehouse. After restocking and waiting for things to cool down, she wanders out onto the city streets which seem a lot more safer than the ones in RE2. Sure, there's more opposition, but the zombies are generally milling around doing their own thing, and the area is usually large enough that running past them is almost always an option. The design seems to make it seem like Jill is avoiding areas that Leon and Claire went through, i.e. the worst parts of the city, but even then everything about the streets sections in RE3 seems quiet. Most of the really horrible things that happen either happen off camera (Most of the deaths) or Jill doesn't seem particularly fazed by them. There are exceptions, but they at least make some sense for the scene.

Then Nemesis shows up and the quiet tone you've been getting used to is shattered by "OH poo poo RUN" tension. His first real introduction is killing a teammate in front of you like it isn't poo poo and then the game flat out tells you to run with the Decision System. Actually fighting him your first few times is bound to end in tears: Nemesis is fast, hits like a truck, possesses an instant-kill attack that's pretty horrible to look at, sometimes has a loving rocket launcher that will gently caress you up at range, and takes a lot of ammo to drop. Combine that with Capcom being pretty decent at setting up the tension when he's involved (Hearing distant thumps of his heavy footsteps or a distant scream, hearing hints of his theme-tune for no reason before he comes barreling into the scene), and even when you know what you're doing Nemesis showing up is enough to make you feel dread. Just about every time Nemesis shows up, things get worse for all involved. Then there's the fact that the fucker follows you from room to room in some sections, which nothing else in the series has done at this point or even does again until the REMake and Outbreak, and it just adds to it.

Summary version: RE3 is generally less tense than RE2's opening or really the entire game, save for the Nemesis showing up.

The problem with Nemesis is that he becomes less remarkable very quickly. Sure it's scary the first time or maybe the second time but sooner rather than later you will come to just expect him. "Oh yeah, as soon as I leave this camera angle and it no longer shows the door, Nemesis will be able to pop up. Ho-hum." He also annoys you while you're trying to solve puzzles.

A guy elsewhere likened RE1 and 2 to "Adventure Games with horror elements." I like that. RE1 and 2 were indeed largely about explortation. Going through the Mansion or the RPD and examining the many different things you could look at. RE3 though, and this is what I was saying earlier about it being far more action-based, doesn't allow for this. It be cool to just look around destroyed Raccoon City but Nemesis is gonna pop up and make you run run run instead of stopping to enjoy the scenery.

That's why I don't like it as much.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Also Rachael was really annoying in Revelations. I felt for sure that I was missing something just because after the first time I "killed" her she just kept showing up later and she barely even reacted to being shot, even when it was something like my double-shooting damage-amped shotgun.

It felt like they wanted to invoke the same reaction that being chased by Nemesis would, but instead I just found myself agreeing with Parker every time he would say how tired he was of seeing her face.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I just finished Code Veronica for the first time, and I have to say, I wasn't a fan. Way too much repetition and backtracking, terrible characters, and it's just too long.

It took the series way too far in the crazy storyline department. It's not that the earlier games were realistic, but the focus was on the monsters, with the human villains having a secondary presence. In CVX, there are so many cutscenes with the Ashfords/loving Steve/Wesker that it detracts from the horror. The enemies aren't really memorable – the Bandersnatches are nothing compared to the lickers, the Tyrant feels completely perfunctory, and shooting Alexia with the linear launcher is more annoying than satisfying. It felt to me like the developers were running out of ideas more than anything.

I will say that the knife is loving awesome.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There's a lot of things wrong with Code Veronica. My chief complaint is its length. Even if it was a good game, which it isn't, it overstays its welcome by several hours. The traditional RE games were maybe 6-7 hours during your first run but CVX is about 10 hours I'd say. That is way too long for that type of game. It makes everything repetitive because when you get down to it, RE is repetitive. The puzzle shave always been fairly simple so doing them over and over again is going to really wear you down.

I also honestly think Code Veronica's voice-acting is right down there with RE1 levels. I don't know what happened but it was just a perfect storm of shittiness with even Claire and Wesker doing badly. (and they're both actually quite good. Just not in this game) I guess I could blame the writing which was cringeworthy even by RE standards. It boggles my mind that anyone is a fan of Alexia Ashford's character when literally 80-90% of her "dialogue" is evil laughter. I think she has like...one actual line in the game? About Wesker not being worthy of her virus' power? The rest she is just MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA'ing everywhere.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Geight posted:

Also Rachael was really annoying in Revelations. I felt for sure that I was missing something just because after the first time I "killed" her she just kept showing up later and she barely even reacted to being shot, even when it was something like my double-shooting damage-amped shotgun.

It felt like they wanted to invoke the same reaction that being chased by Nemesis would, but instead I just found myself agreeing with Parker every time he would say how tired he was of seeing her face.

I thought the first time you encounter Ooze Rachael was actually pretty effective. Cool lighting, creepy voice effects. The first time she charged I actually went "oh poo poo" and started firing wildly and making sure she couldn't reach me. Then by the end of the first fight in the cafeteria I learned she wasn't really that dangerous and every time she appeared later it didn't have the same impact. Same thing with the Scagdead actually. The first one is a bit unsettling because of the voice acting but then they just keep showing up as mini-bosses.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I thought the first time you encounter Ooze Rachael was actually pretty effective. Cool lighting, creepy voice effects. The first time she charged I actually went "oh poo poo" and started firing wildly and making sure she couldn't reach me. Then by the end of the first fight in the cafeteria I learned she wasn't really that dangerous and every time she appeared later it didn't have the same impact. Same thing with the Scagdead actually. The first one is a bit unsettling because of the voice acting but then they just keep showing up as mini-bosses.

Yeah that's basically it. The first Scagdead I just thought was going to be a one-off boss, and then surprise Chris fights two at once, what a badass!! Ooze Rachael's first encounter is definitely effective because it seems a lot more dangerous, even though she's actually a lot easier because it just takes a few shots to scare her off. There's even an achievement for killing her before she reaches the cafeteria in the first encounter, but the mood is just right so it feels way more dangerous than it is. Afterwards she's just a recurring obstacle that grabs your ankle from behind and you wiggle the mouse to kick her in the face.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Wait til you play raid mode, even the end boss will just be another annoying enemy.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I don't get the people who say Revelations' gameplay was as good as a non-portable game. The enemies don't have any hit reaction unless you shoot them in the arbitrary weak point, the dodge system makes no sense, the weapons were lame (though some of the upgrade effects were cool) and in general it just felt uninspired, like some other company trying to make a RE clone.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

NikkolasKing posted:

The problem with Nemesis is that he becomes less remarkable very quickly. Sure it's scary the first time or maybe the second time but sooner rather than later you will come to just expect him. "Oh yeah, as soon as I leave this camera angle and it no longer shows the door, Nemesis will be able to pop up. Ho-hum." He also annoys you while you're trying to solve puzzles.

A guy elsewhere likened RE1 and 2 to "Adventure Games with horror elements." I like that. RE1 and 2 were indeed largely about explortation. Going through the Mansion or the RPD and examining the many different things you could look at. RE3 though, and this is what I was saying earlier about it being far more action-based, doesn't allow for this. It be cool to just look around destroyed Raccoon City but Nemesis is gonna pop up and make you run run run instead of stopping to enjoy the scenery.

That's why I don't like it as much.
The father of these horror games are point and click adventure games.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

The father of these horror games are point and click adventure games.

I've heard that said before but, having never played any game like that, I couldn't say. But going with that notion, Nemesis kinda ruins the whole thing by constantly chasing you and not letting you savor your surroundings.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah that's what Alone in the Dark was (very similar to point and click in style) and while there were plenty of horror games before it, I would definitely consider that the ur-horror game when looking at how most of them roll now.

Hehee RE1 even stole a few of its puzzles. :3:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Anonymous Robot posted:

I don't get the people who say Revelations' gameplay was as good as a non-portable game. The enemies don't have any hit reaction unless you shoot them in the arbitrary weak point, the dodge system makes no sense, the weapons were lame (though some of the upgrade effects were cool) and in general it just felt uninspired, like some other company trying to make a RE clone.

I felt the same way. Though I went in expecting a return to older-school RE. Maybe I didn't play it enough (about 30 minutes really) but it felt cheap and small in a way that the older RE's never did.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Don't forget sweet home, it's almost the NES Resident Evil.

I love RE3. I think it did branching paths a lot better than most games of it's era. There are parts of it I really don't like, Jill's outfit being at the forefront. I played the DC version and just used her RE1 outfit or the Regina one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Code Veronica was the point where the series turned full loving anime. I won't say it's great, but it is hilarious and stupid and I love it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I don't think Code Veronica's length is really an issue if you take into account that you switch characters. It's just, instead of having two disks and being able to pick, you have to do them in order. To be honest, Code Veronica's length is something I liked about it. By the end you look back and realize, "Man I did a lot of crazy-rear end poo poo"

And if you were playing it on your shiny new Dreamcast it looked beautiful. Perhaps your enjoyment of Code Veronica is related to when you played it.

Hakkesshu posted:

Code Veronica was the point where the series turned full loving anime. I won't say it's great, but it is hilarious and stupid and I love it.

What they did with Wesker was truly amazing. Since he hadn't been featured since RE1, it was like the most glorious of fanservice.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 22, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, Code Veronica looked loving gorgeous after years of murky PS1 graphics, I still can't hate it. It's always the easiest for me to run out of resources though, I don't know if it's the length or having not played it as much as the others but I always start to run low on bullets and health items before the Tyrant boss.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's always the easiest for me to run out of resources though, I don't know if it's the length or having not played it as much as the others but I always start to run low on bullets and health items before the Tyrant boss.

Yeah I've got a similar problem. I end up having to save all of the gunpowder arrows and grenades for the two Tyrant fights because I can only seem to locate 30 gunpowder arrows (printer room cabinet, briefcase in bathroom and just kinda on a table in gambling room) and a handful of regular grenades on my playthroughs. Rest of it I kinda have to do with the Handgun and the MP-somenumber's to get by.

health is similarly kinda sparse but these days I just bullshit it with the infinite herb trick like a cheating douchebag with zero remorse

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I don't think Code Veronica's length is really an issue if you take into account that you switch characters. It's just, instead of having two disks and being able to pick, you have to do them in order.

It's still like twice as long as a A/B scenario runthrough and the location progression is puzzling. Like, you beat the island and progress to the Antarctic base but then you're pulled back to the island followed by the Antarctic base again before heading to the finale. While RE2 actually goes through a proper full loop of the maps before you reset by starting a new scenario but with RE:CVX it's kinda stop'n'start and it sorta bogs the pace a little.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

The part where Wesker is distracted by Alexia broadcasting her image to a facility that, to her knowledge, was completely empty and burning down so she can laugh maniacally for no reason is like peak Resident Evil.

Code Veronica rules.