Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They have a bad aura of "well we want to hit these thematic bullet points but we don't want the set to cost a thousand dollars.. so make it work."

Crappy set that will sell like hotcakes because of the minifigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Dogen posted:

I still can't believe the Ghostbusters firehouse made it to 10k (not that it isn't super cool). I feel like this round is going to be another one where the winner will be obvious because all the other ideas are ridiculous, impractical, or ridiculously impractical.

I would not give a second thought about buying that firehouse.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DrChud posted:

I would not give a second thought about buying that firehouse.

Pretty much. I'd throw down $150 easy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sockser posted:

Ehhhhhhhh, I feel like they don't really evoke Minecraft, simply because there's so few bits. I love the microscale ones, but it's because there's so much in there that they feel like Minecraft. Minifig scale Zombies and Skeletons and Steves are cool, though.

Honestly it gives ideas for various Minecraft elements(such as the tree) and expanding it using your own bricks(which let's be honest, is insanely easy) and also provides a bunch of those handy 2x2 1 central stud plates. It's a good idea as a starting off point while providing useful minifigs and stickers/printed bricks.

They should honestly just release a set comprised mostly of characters/animals though, yeah.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

It's perfect as the ghostbusters firehouse, if you don't care about GB, take off the buster logo and boom, old style NYC firehouse modular.

I don't think it would fly as fast as the car, but I would sell well. Maybe put in Janine, Lewis, and Slimer figs to sweeten the deal and round out the team.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They've been super conservative with the picks so far, though. I'm not saying it would be a cool set, or even that it wouldn't sell somewhat well, but based on history it's just not going to happen. Too much money, there's already been a Ghostbusters set, etc.

Also, I did get my Tumbler from the store. Going to start working on it in a little bit. Perhaps my polybag tumbler can drive it (Tumblers all the way down)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Captain Invictus posted:

Honestly it gives ideas for various Minecraft elements(such as the tree) and expanding it using your own bricks(which let's be honest, is insanely easy) and also provides a bunch of those handy 2x2 1 central stud plates. It's a good idea as a starting off point while providing useful minifigs and stickers/printed bricks.

They should honestly just release a set comprised mostly of characters/animals though, yeah.

Problem is the 2x2 1 stud guys and even like, brown 2x2s are fairly rare, AFAIK.

Not to mention all those basic orange bricks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

It's part count is around the same as the town hall, so probably $199.

Is it the same scale as the current modular buildings?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's good to see that the RI and Exo suit are likely coming back. I had the 1st off, and didn't realize they might have on sale that day. I ended up at a store that weekend my coincidence and was disappointed they didn't have the Ghostbusters set in-stock.

Was on the web store this evening and was getting broken links all over the place, it kept redirecting me the US site, and kept telling me that the free Mini Cooper set "wasn't available in my region" when I tried to set it back to Canada. Also wouldn't take my password when I did go to check out with the big Mini Cooper and Ghostbusters sets. Some survey thing popped up so I sent them feedback on all the BS I'd gone through. Hopefully they'll fix it soon. I'd given up on the whole last 2 or 3 Minifigures lines because I never got anywhere feeling the bags and dealing with the inevitable duplicates of duplicates. But damnit if the upcoming series makes me want to :getin:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

I'd given up on the whole last 2 or 3 Minifigures lines because I never got anywhere feeling the bags and dealing with the inevitable duplicates of duplicates. But damnit if the upcoming series makes me want to :getin:

The Simpsons line was the easiest to feel out thanks to all the distinctive heads. But these new prices just encourage feeling. They've doubled in price since the first couple series, and they were much, much harder to find.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The Manchester Lego store sorts all of the figures and leaves them behind the till for anyone that ask for a specific one.

So, if anyone wants any of the upcoming figures PM when they hit stores and I'll send them your way.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
I promised some progress pictures of my lego minifig chairs, got them started after work today, spent about 2 hours cutting and filing, then a trip to the paint store to see what lego colours I could come up with, think I nailed all the ones I wanted... here are three progress pics, first Emmitt traced out, then cut out, then the three of them.

I am going to have to do some work on the hands, as going from 3-D to 2-D makes it tough for them to get right, but I'm fairly happy with the progress I made today. Tomorrow will be routing the edges to round them, then start painting, and cut out the seat and other legs of the chairs. Turning out to be an easier project then I thought, I may end up making some extras and selling them, but we'll see, I can really only woodwork in the summer, so time is limited.

These are the chair backs, and about 2 feet high.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Pyroclastic posted:

The Simpsons line was the easiest to feel out thanks to all the distinctive heads. But these new prices just encourage feeling. They've doubled in price since the first couple series, and they were much, much harder to find.

If they really wanted to eliminate feeling they'd ship them in tiny 1"x2" boxes. Probably more expensive to print and assemble a box though.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Shin-chan posted:

If they really wanted to eliminate feeling they'd ship them in tiny 1"x2" boxes. Probably more expensive to print and assemble a box though.

Ridiculously more expensive, and it'd just encourage people to open every box on the shelf rather than spend 20 minutes feeling up polybags. I really dislike the blind bag mentality. I've seen blind boxes for some things priced at $10 or more, and Lego's nearly at half that price now.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Fozzie Bear posted:

I promised some progress pictures of my lego minifig chairs, got them started after work today, spent about 2 hours cutting and filing, then a trip to the paint store to see what lego colours I could come up with, think I nailed all the ones I wanted... here are three progress pics, first Emmitt traced out, then cut out, then the three of them.

I am going to have to do some work on the hands, as going from 3-D to 2-D makes it tough for them to get right, but I'm fairly happy with the progress I made today. Tomorrow will be routing the edges to round them, then start painting, and cut out the seat and other legs of the chairs. Turning out to be an easier project then I thought, I may end up making some extras and selling them, but we'll see, I can really only woodwork in the summer, so time is limited.

These are the chair backs, and about 2 feet high.

This is super sweet. I'd totally sit in a Benny chair (but never in front of my adult friends).

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Benny chair has to be shaped like a spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tumbler is available for VIPs online!

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Amoeba102 posted:

Benny chair has to be shaped like a spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP!

Maybe I'll paint some spaceships on the front legs for him.... you give me a great idea for decorating the rest of the chairs, I was thinking they were going to be too plain, but adding in some elements (spaceship, piece of resistance, Wyldstyle fan?) could turn out really well.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Guzwar posted:

This is super sweet. I'd totally sit in a Benny chair (but never in front of my adult friends).

You need better friends.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
There's a decent selection of sets at 15% off using code LEGOPALOOZA here. YMMV, I haven't actually ordered yet but 15% on that many sets (including the Spaceship^3 and Milano) it warranted a post.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Was in the area and hopped into the lego store, eyeballed the Tumbler for a few. No interest in owning it but holy jesus that thing is big.

One thing I do want though are those tires.. they'd be a joy to use on minifig scale monster trucks. Anyone have a feeling on if they'll be exclusive to the set or we'll see them on other stuff in the future?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

mattfl posted:

Tumbler is available for VIPs online!

Or it would be if the site hadn't crashed. :/

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It was on sale already yesterday morning, although they had some kind of hiccup that kept it from going on sale at the planned time. I picked mine up at the store yesterday and just finished putting it together. It is crazy humongous.

I don't know why they didn't do the manual for it the way they did for the sandcrawler. It's 5 regular instruction booklets with no additional info.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 19, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spotted on flickr:

PIMP my LEGO Classic mini with classic space mod! ! by dogens, on Flickr

Pretty much owns.

Not sure why the creator chose red hubcaps though, you can get those pieces in light grey.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
That owns. Red hubs were pretty common in wheeled classic space vehicles.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I remember being excited to get this as a kid because of the guns with shields that you could stick an antenna onto and use as a lance in motorcycle jousting :allears:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh duh I totally forgot about the red wheels. Still would have used light grey though.

Busted rear end helmets, actually good for something now.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Mixels series 3 is on shelves. They've varied the body plans more this time around. You also get some pretty uncommon detail-piece colors in them, like purple and pearl silver 1x2 curved slopes.

Also saw the 2014 City advent calendar which looks even more boring than usual. About the only interesting pieces are the 1x1 round tile cookies, the whole cooked turkey, which doesn't show up that often, and a black bowler hat (only available in 2 sets, one of which was a Lego employee-only set and the other the $99 Lone Ranger train).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Benny needed a racecar:

Benny's Racecar. Attempt #1 by mrxzzy, on Flickr

Not quite what I envisioned going into it, but it was fun anyways and it's not super explodey either.. only the front bumper is a bit wobbly.

The original idea was to make two long tubes with a seat in the middle, I just don't have the pieces/skills to pull it off quite yet. I'd probably do better just ripping off the front end of the Ecto-1 as this car is almost exactly the same size, but straight copying is lazy and I'd have to do a bricklink order to get the pieces in blue anyways.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pyroclastic posted:

Mixels series 3 is on shelves. They've varied the body plans more this time around. You also get some pretty uncommon detail-piece colors in them, like purple and pearl silver 1x2 curved slopes.

Also saw the 2014 City advent calendar which looks even more boring than usual. About the only interesting pieces are the 1x1 round tile cookies, the whole cooked turkey, which doesn't show up that often, and a black bowler hat (only available in 2 sets, one of which was a Lego employee-only set and the other the $99 Lone Ranger train).

The cookie was available in one of the Friends set, and I think an early blind bag minifig had the black blower.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

xzzy posted:

Benny needed a racecar
Pretty good, now build one using only parts from Benny's Spaceship. :colbert:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bad news about the UCS Tumbler.

The polybag Tumbler is just slightly too large to fit in the cabin :(

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

xzzy posted:

Was in the area and hopped into the lego store, eyeballed the Tumbler for a few. No interest in owning it but holy jesus that thing is big.

One thing I do want though are those tires.. they'd be a joy to use on minifig scale monster trucks. Anyone have a feeling on if they'll be exclusive to the set or we'll see them on other stuff in the future?

It depends on how the licensing for the mold itself is handled, but usually when you see a new mold in a licensed set (especially a really iconic mold), it means that the mold is now exclusive to that license and can't be used for anything else.

I suppose they could make a simple exception, something like 'this mold can't appear in Marvel sets' but it's usually easier to just lock it into one theme/set to prevent any problems.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

xzzy posted:

Benny needed a racecar:

Not quite what I envisioned going into it, but it was fun anyways and it's not super explodey either.. only the front bumper is a bit wobbly.

The original idea was to make two long tubes with a seat in the middle, I just don't have the pieces/skills to pull it off quite yet. I'd probably do better just ripping off the front end of the Ecto-1 as this car is almost exactly the same size, but straight copying is lazy and I'd have to do a bricklink order to get the pieces in blue anyways.
It reminds me of Luke Skywalker's land speeder, which is appropriate for Benny.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

InfinEight posted:

It depends on how the licensing for the mold itself is handled, but usually when you see a new mold in a licensed set (especially a really iconic mold), it means that the mold is now exclusive to that license and can't be used for anything else.

I suppose they could make a simple exception, something like 'this mold can't appear in Marvel sets' but it's usually easier to just lock it into one theme/set to prevent any problems.

Well the unimog tires first appeared in a licensed set, and now they are in the volvo frontloader and the tumbler as well.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Thoroughly recommend the AT-AT!
I haven't built a technic set since I was a kid and this was 80% pins, bars and clever joints with a system cladding over the top. The legs were a bit of a slog, but that was inevitable. It was a really fun build and looks awesome.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Couldn't find my SNES so I just built a new one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A pretty neat 180 technique I spotted on flickr:

180 Degree Reversal by joeseidon, on Flickr

If those new 1x1 studs ever show up on PAB I'm gonna go nuts, because they're a heap of fun to experiment with. I just don't have enough of them to really play around with building with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

When these went on 50% off clearance at my local Wal*Mart I grabbed three. I now have 36 of those 1x1 round plates with hole and I regret nothing.