Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Edit: you're probably right, I don't really need to put all that out there.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You've included an awful lot of details about a rather unusual case, you might want to watch your language.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
NO DON'T DELETE YOUR POST IT'S DELETING EVIDENCE

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Okay months ago I posted here about a matter which has now resurfaced.

Basically my landlord has been evading a lawsuit for a long time (he lives out of state, and thinks this makes him immune or something) and the plaintiffs started listing me and my roommates as defendants, even though the case has fuckall to do with me. I decided to bear with it, until mid-July, when we received notice of another lawsuit against the landord with us as defendants. My roommate at the time (who was subleasing from me) freaked out and left, and now I'm fed up and want to leave as well.

The kicker is that this happened two weeks before my yearlong lease expires, and the lease has one of those clauses saying that it renews itself automatically if I don't give at least a month's notice before it expires. The landlord is trying to convince me to stay, and said I was fine to stay through August (no formal agreement, he's just being "flexible"), but since then nothing has changed, and I want out. But he isn't returning my calls anymore. Should I just bail? Can they retaliate against me for violating a new lease I never signed? Don't landlords have some sort of duty to protect tenants from weird poo poo like this?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Okay months ago I posted here about a matter which has now resurfaced.

Basically my landlord has been evading a lawsuit for a long time (he lives out of state, and thinks this makes him immune or something) and the plaintiffs started listing me and my roommates as defendants, even though the case has fuckall to do with me. I decided to bear with it, until mid-July, when we received notice of another lawsuit against the landord with us as defendants. My roommate at the time (who was subleasing from me) freaked out and left, and now I'm fed up and want to leave as well.

The kicker is that this happened two weeks before my yearlong lease expires, and the lease has one of those clauses saying that it renews itself automatically if I don't give at least a month's notice before it expires. The landlord is trying to convince me to stay, and said I was fine to stay through August (no formal agreement, he's just being "flexible"), but since then nothing has changed, and I want out. But he isn't returning my calls anymore. Should I just bail? Can they retaliate against me for violating a new lease I never signed? Don't landlords have some sort of duty to protect tenants from weird poo poo like this?

Dude, if you've been named as a defendant you need to lawyer up ASAP.

Is it an eviction suit?

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Please help goons!

I live in Georgia. My car's engine busted a couple months ago. I rolled into the mechanic I've been going to for the past five years, and that's where it died. They said it'd cost more than the car was worth to repair, but if I gave them the title they'd get it junked. I asked them if they'd hold onto it while I looked for a new car and tried to find someone who might want to buy the body. They said okay.

It took me a month to finagle my budget, get an auto loan, and track down a car. After that I spent a couple weeks busy with work, and then I was back and forth out of town for a couple weeks to visit my dying grandfather and go to my sister's graduation. I got back today and I have notice in the mail from that my car has been towed as of a couple weeks ago and I was being charged a daily fee for storage.

I received zero communication from the mechanic that I've been visiting for five years prior to this. No phone calls, no mail. They certainly have my contact info too. I'd figured the situation was okay because they hadn't contacted me at all. My mistake, but now I need to figure out how to resolve this.

This car is a complete junker that is basically worth scrap. It is not driveable on the streets, and I do not have the money to pay for the towing, pay for the impound, and pay to get it towed somewhere else again. With the storage fees I'm close to $500 without adding in the cost of getting it towed somewhere else. I am going to call the mechanic to see wtf happened shortly but I feel like I'm walking through a minefield here and was hoping I could get some advice before I do.

Is there an onus on the mechanic to try to contact you before towing? What can I do here? Do I try to find some kind of extortionate loan and suck it up?

EDIT: Should mention I just got a second job to start giving myself some financial breathing room and I'm looking for an even cheaper place than the very cheap place that I have now, but this car thing was already stretching me to the limit and this got piled on top.

Chomposaur fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 18, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
It was pretty unreasonable of you to expect them to keep your car on their lot for what appears to be 2 months without discussing your situation with them at any point after the original problem.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

It was pretty unreasonable of you to expect them to keep your car on their lot for what appears to be 2 months without discussing your situation with them at any point after the original problem.

You're right. I'd assumed they'd let me know if it was an issue, but I should have been in front of it. I guess I just gotta scrounge this money together however I can.

One last question, is there any regulation around notification and when they can start charging? The letter notifying me that my car was towed is dated 11 days after they towed it. Am I still on the hook for all those days?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Chomposaur posted:

Please help goons!

I live in Georgia. My car's engine busted a couple months ago. I rolled into the mechanic I've been going to for the past five years, and that's where it died. They said it'd cost more than the car was worth to repair, but if I gave them the title they'd get it junked. I asked them if they'd hold onto it while I looked for a new car and tried to find someone who might want to buy the body. They said okay.

It took me a month to finagle my budget, get an auto loan, and track down a car. After that I spent a couple weeks busy with work, and then I was back and forth out of town for a couple weeks to visit my dying grandfather and go to my sister's graduation. I got back today and I have notice in the mail from that my car has been towed as of a couple weeks ago and I was being charged a daily fee for storage.

I received zero communication from the mechanic that I've been visiting for five years prior to this. No phone calls, no mail. They certainly have my contact info too. I'd figured the situation was okay because they hadn't contacted me at all. My mistake, but now I need to figure out how to resolve this.

This car is a complete junker that is basically worth scrap. It is not driveable on the streets, and I do not have the money to pay for the towing, pay for the impound, and pay to get it towed somewhere else again. With the storage fees I'm close to $500 without adding in the cost of getting it towed somewhere else. I am going to call the mechanic to see wtf happened shortly but I feel like I'm walking through a minefield here and was hoping I could get some advice before I do.

Is there an onus on the mechanic to try to contact you before towing? What can I do here? Do I try to find some kind of extortionate loan and suck it up?

EDIT: Should mention I just got a second job to start giving myself some financial breathing room and I'm looking for an even cheaper place than the very cheap place that I have now, but this car thing was already stretching me to the limit and this got piled on top.
Did you sign any paperwork? Because most mechanics I've seen have you sign something re:storage over X number of days. It is on the fine print of the estimate.

FrozenVent posted:

You've included an awful lot of details about a rather unusual case, you might want to watch your language.
drat, i hate when this happens. I feel like a missed a great shitshow.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Chomposaur posted:

You're right. I'd assumed they'd let me know if it was an issue, but I should have been in front of it. I guess I just gotta scrounge this money together however I can.

One last question, is there any regulation around notification and when they can start charging? The letter notifying me that my car was towed is dated 11 days after they towed it. Am I still on the hook for all those days?

I ain't no expert on this area, but I'd say give the title to the towing company and say good luck.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Chomposaur posted:

Please help goons!

Have you talked to the towing agency? Something very similar happened to me in Georgia a few years ago. The tow company told us that we need to pay some ridiculous amount of money (close to $1000) to pick up the car, or they would auction it to settle the account. We told them that we wanted nothing better than to get rid of the car, and they were welcome to auction it if it settled the account. The guy was really confused (I guess this doesn't happen too often?) but we ended up giving them the title in exchange for the fees being wiped.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
IANAL, but be aware that towing companies are shady as loving poo poo.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah no poo poo. If I had a POS like that (I do have a POS like that) I'd offer them the title to clear the fees, and I'd be drat sure to get all of it in writing.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Thanatosian posted:

I had one tow me for "parking in front of a No Parking sign".

Which I was, although the arrow pointed, y'know, away from my car. In the other direction.

Wish I hadn't been a stupid kid and had stood up to them over that. :( I could have used the $100 at the time.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

nm posted:

drat, i hate when this happens. I feel like a missed a great shitshow.

Heh, it was amusing but the only memorable part was that he hoped the appeal court would "reverse the bitch judge's decision."

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

blarzgh posted:

Dude, if you've been named as a defendant you need to lawyer up ASAP.

Is it an eviction suit?
Actually the suit refers to me as "unknown tenant." They did somehow get the name of the roommate, which is why I'm taking this a lot more seriously now.

I can't afford an actual lawyer. It turns out my university offers absolutely no legal counseling to students, and I don't seem to qualify for any other assistance ("your university provides that, right??").

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Actually the suit refers to me as "unknown tenant." They did somehow get the name of the roommate, which is why I'm taking this a lot more seriously now.

I can't afford an actual lawyer. It turns out my university offers absolutely no legal counseling to students, and I don't seem to qualify for any other assistance ("your university provides that, right??").

State?:

Eviction Suit?:

Foreclosure on the House?:

Have you been served?:

Prayer for Relief says (at the end of the lawsuit above the attorney's signature)?:

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

blarzgh posted:

State?:

Eviction Suit?:

Foreclosure on the House?:

Have you been served?:

Prayer for Relief says (at the end of the lawsuit above the attorney's signature)?:

Ohio.

I don't think they're after foreclosure. In a previous case, judgement was rendered against the landlord but he hasn't paid up at all. I talked to an attorney on the phone who was nice enough to glance at things without charging me, and he basically said "they want you to pay rent to them instead of your landlord."

I've gotten summons to court referring to "unknown tenant," don't know if that counts as being served. I actually called the courthouse and asked what I should do, and they said I should lawyer up, which I can't afford. The only thing keeping me safe for now is that they don't know my name.

Prayer is about $30K.

I've already found another house I'd love to rent, I'm just worried that my current landlord is going to try and screw me over on the way out.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
Some potentially good news for you: if the home went into foreclosure, then your landlord has violated the lease likely into total breach. If so, then most likely he can't sue you for violating a lease that he violated first.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ANIME AKBAR posted:

If you are genuinely poor, legal aid may help you. Here is Ohio's general legal aid site, which includes a phone number you can call where they can probably connect you with a more local legal aid organization: http://www.ohiolegalservices.org/public/legal_problem/housing

Also do this to find the local office to call first: http://www.ohiolegalservices.org/public/legal_problem/housing/general-housing-issues/Home/programs/legalaid_folder_view

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 20, 2014

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Ohio.

I don't think they're after foreclosure. In a previous case, judgement was rendered against the landlord but he hasn't paid up at all. I talked to an attorney on the phone who was nice enough to glance at things without charging me, and he basically said "they want you to pay rent to them instead of your landlord."

I've gotten summons to court referring to "unknown tenant," don't know if that counts as being served. I actually called the courthouse and asked what I should do, and they said I should lawyer up, which I can't afford. The only thing keeping me safe for now is that they don't know my name.

Prayer is about $30K.

I've already found another house I'd love to rent, I'm just worried that my current landlord is going to try and screw me over on the way out.

What you're describing sounds like an attempted garnishment of the landlords rental income.

They're trying to collect on their judgment against him on some other case, one that has nothing to do with the house, and they're seeking to have his rental income from you satisfy that other judgment.

Is that what you've learned? Does the lawsuit say "garnishment" or "sequestration"?

If this is the case, you've got two, pretty complicated situations on your hands. I can discuss further if you can confirm.

Echoing the other poster: Legal aid may be able to help you out. You need to get in t touch with them ASAP.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

And to the legal aid point: 95% of what we do is simply giving you basic advice, like saying "yes, this is a garnishment of rental incomes" or "actually, they're suing you because they say you murdered a child."

Representation is less common, but getting a lawyer who will look at your documents and say "yes, worry" or "no big deal" can be very helpful.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Do I need to tell my employer that I'm taking hydrocodone? I work manual pallet jacks, electric pallet jacks, and walking stackers at work. I have to move up to 1 ton of materials, stacked several feet high, 5 nights a week. My medication makes me drowsy and nauseous. This is only for about 3 more days as I had a molar and wisdom tooth extracted two days ago along with an abscess.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

SlayVus posted:

Do I need to tell my employer that I'm taking hydrocodone? I work manual pallet jacks, electric pallet jacks, and walking stackers at work. I have to move up to 1 ton of materials, stacked several feet high, 5 nights a week. My medication makes me drowsy and nauseous. This is only for about 3 more days as I had a molar and wisdom tooth extracted two days ago along with an abscess.

If you want a legal opinion, get an attorney. That attorney, however, is likely to look at you in shock and ask if you drove to the meeting.

You are putting yourself, your coworkers, and your employer at considerable risk. Stop it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SlayVus posted:

No, that sleepy looking eye on the pill bottle is just winking at you. Go nuts! Have some drinks too! Don't read any of the text about not operating heavy machinery and all that jazz.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've been off work for the past three days and I haven't driven anywhere since I've been taking it. I'm asking if I need to let my employer know.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SlayVus posted:

I've been off work for the past three days and I haven't driven anywhere since I've been taking it. I'm asking if I need to let my employer know.

If you continue to not go to work while taking it, I don't think you need to.

If you go to work then gently caress yes you need to tell them you're taking medication that makes it unsafe for you to operate machinery when operating machinery is part of your job.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
If you mean "will they randomly drug test me and find it in my system after I've been off it for a good while and am safe to drive and operate machinery", then no, that will not happen and you don't need to tell them.

If you mean "I'm going to work tomorrow anyway while on meds, gently caress it I need the money", then you won't need to tell them because you'll probably end up dead. Seriously. I was on oxycodine for a few days after I got my wisdom teeth taken out and felt like I was on another planet, I don't know how anyone can even function normally while on narcotic pain killers.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

Bet you ten bucks your employee manual says you do.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I love how this thread will be evidence in a wrongful death suit.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
It's all our :justpost: dreams come true.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

blarzgh posted:

What you're describing sounds like an attempted garnishment of the landlords rental income.

They're trying to collect on their judgment against him on some other case, one that has nothing to do with the house, and they're seeking to have his rental income from you satisfy that other judgment.

Is that what you've learned? Does the lawsuit say "garnishment" or "sequestration"?
Yeah that pretty much describes it, though not in those exact terms. The relevant sentence from the claim:

quote:

"Plaintiff prays for an order directing [defendant] to make all rent payments due [landlord] to [plaintiff], for its cost herein incurred, and for such other and additional relief to which it is entitled at law and in equity."

quote:

Echoing the other poster: Legal aid may be able to help you out. You need to get in t touch with them ASAP.
The only assistance program I can find for my area can only apply to individuals making less than %200 of the FPL, which I barely make. I don't know where else to look.

But to emphasize, my main question is whether having this bullshit dropped on me, and having no help from the landlord, is a violation of my rights as tenant.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Yeah that pretty much describes it, though not in those exact terms. The relevant sentence from the claim:

The only assistance program I can find for my area can only apply to individuals making less than %200 of the FPL, which I barely make. I don't know where else to look.

But to emphasize, my main question is whether having this bullshit dropped on me, and having no help from the landlord, is a violation of my rights as tenant.

What rights?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

"they want you to pay rent to them instead of your landlord."

If they don't own it yet, then you don't pay them rent. Once they become the owner, then you have to pay them rent. If the new place owns it, then they are the landlord and you owe them rent starting the date they own it.

Is there something I'm missing here because it doesn't seem that complicated, nor a reason to panic.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

chemosh6969 posted:

Is there something I'm missing here because it doesn't seem that complicated, nor a reason to panic.

You're missing the part where people can write whatever they want and ask for whatever they want on a civil complaint and most people don't know that.

Also the fact that people don't know that being stamped/signed by a clerk and served doesn't mean it's "the way thing are"/official.

Most people have no idea how these things work, which is why they need attorneys to explain in plain english what arguably should be obvious and readable by an average person but is most definitely not.

The only reason I have any idea about any/most of this is because I've been self employed or working with startups most of my life. Most people don't have that much exposure to the legal system......and certainly not the civil side of things.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Does your municipality or state or county have a tenants' rights commission or authority? That would be a place to start.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

chemosh6969 posted:

If they don't own it yet, then you don't pay them rent. Once they become the owner, then you have to pay them rent. If the new place owns it, then they are the landlord and you owe them rent starting the date they own it.
Yeah I understand this. I know I don't owe the plaintiffs anything at this point. The problem is I feel like I'm being harassed because my landlord is skirting the courts. As if the landlord's deranged ex came over every month and took a poo poo on my kitchen floor. Yeah, the poo poo won't directly hurt me but it's making my life miserable (and it makes keeping a roommate impossible), and I feel my landlord should do something about it. And if they don't, then I should be able to leave, if that's what it takes.

I always thought that landords are always obligated to not disturb or interrupt the tenants' living conditions. And while the landlord isn't personally harassing me, it's because of him I'm being harassed.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Does your municipality or state or county have a tenants' rights commission or authority? That would be a place to start.
This sounds worthwhile. Googling turns up a bunch of results, but most results are just searches for low-income housing, or they only offer assistance for specific issues like discrimination... I'm in the Greater Cleveland area (44106), if that narrows it down.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 21, 2014

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Is "prays" really the legal term used?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Lowness 72 posted:

Yes..? It seems really common in the dozens of documents I've been forced to sift through recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

Yes....read almost any civil complaint (any I've read) the "pray" is what they are asking for as a remedy. It's near the bottom of the document.