Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Alright so my first character idea is gone atm, as I just realized the "burning sky" aspect of the campaign causes teleports to deal 1 fire damage per sq. Now normally it wouldn't matter as I am a Tiefling (Fire Res 5+1/2level) but I also want to teleport you guys to safety or to the enemy, which now incurs some damage whenever I would do so.

Gonna look more into the Warlord I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Flame112 posted:

I'm curious why you like Avandra so much, Herr Tog.

I like Avandra cause she is good, not lawful good so she is not restrictive in play. Two of her Domains are kind important to me irl; CHANGE and FREEDOMSELF DETERMINATION. Also because I have made my characters back story that he is on a 'Great Journey' in 'troubled times' through 'burning lands' as foretold in holy writ. And that everyone is on a journey through this life.

Cerepol posted:

YEEESSSS

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Tentative character sheet: http://orokos.com/dnd4e/sheets/7138

Extremely rough backstory: is a dragonborn, hails from the mountains between Ostalin and Ragesian, travelled to Gate Pass to adventure and gain glory, became involved with the temple of Avandra somehow?

Not included on that sheet: I am probably gonna pick up the background that gives me the Blessed By Dreams feat, and my bonus skill is probably going to be Woodcarving.

I'm considering going 18/18 (post racial) in CON/CHA which would mean I can Lay on Hands less but I would be insanely tanky. And it would mean I could use Dragonbreath instead of Dragonfear. Anyone have any thoughts on that, or the character in general?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Looking at your character sheet my only thought is: How many faces will this party have? lol

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Herr Tog posted:

Looking at your character sheet my only thought is: How many faces will this party have? lol

You can never have enough faces. Because sooner or later the guy with 8 Charisma has to talk his way past a guard and that's when the funs tarts.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cerepol posted:

Alright so my first character idea is gone atm, as I just realized the "burning sky" aspect of the campaign causes teleports to deal 1 fire damage per sq. Now normally it wouldn't matter as I am a Tiefling (Fire Res 5+1/2level) but I also want to teleport you guys to safety or to the enemy, which now incurs some damage whenever I would do so.

We're not sticking to the Divine theme anyway, so just be whatever you want.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kaynorr posted:

You can never have enough faces. Because sooner or later the guy with 8 Charisma has to talk his way past a guard and that's when the funs tarts.

lol, true enough

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Two additional things for consideration are wish lists and how the party is initially brought together.

We'll be using the standard treasure parcel system for handing out loot, so as part of your character please put together a list of magic item drops that you'd like to see/would work well with your build. No guarantees that everything will drop (especially with Inherent Bonuses so I don't need to give everyone a new weapon/armor/neckpiece like clockwork), but it will be the main resource for the treasure parcels.

In terms of bringing the party together, we can go with either of the two standard options of "we already know each other" or "meeting for the first time that night". The adventure can accommodate either option; if we go with the latter one, it will help if everyone has some sort of hook in their character where they'd be willing to do a pretty big favor for someone in the city of Gate Pass. If everyone already knows each other, you'll want to come up with a collective backstory that brings together a bunch of just-starting-out scrub heroes.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

kaynorr posted:

In terms of bringing the party together, we can go with either of the two standard options of "we already know each other" or "meeting for the first time that night". The adventure can accommodate either option; if we go with the latter one, it will help if everyone has some sort of hook in their character where they'd be willing to do a pretty big favor for someone in the city of Gate Pass. If everyone already knows each other, you'll want to come up with a collective backstory that brings together a bunch of just-starting-out scrub heroes.

This would be way easier if we just all went Divine. :colbert:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
How long should the wish list be?

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

nucleicmaxid posted:

This would be way easier if we just all went Divine. :colbert:

I've been thinking about that a bit, and there is no reason everyone can't have divine connections (in the sense of being trained by holy folk or personally associated with them) even if they aren't formally partaking of the power source. You can all be on Team Avandra, or even Team All The Good Gods, without mechanically being of certain classes.

As the campaign begins, the Inquisition's gearing up has a lot of people very nervous. And while arcanists are the current target, it's certainly plausible that if the head of the Inquisition takes the throne, she'll institute a full-on imperial religion that will turn a lot of churches into heresies.

Herr Tog posted:

How long should the wish list be?

I'd say 5-6 items for now. I imagine everyone will fiddle with it as time goes by and they alter/revise their builds based upon the party composition and what they're finding fun or effective.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kaynorr posted:

You can all be on Team Avandra

:allears:

kaynorr posted:

As the campaign begins, the Inquisition's gearing up has a lot of people very nervous. And while arcanists are the current target, it's certainly plausible that if the head of the Inquisition takes the throne, she'll institute a full-on imperial religion that will turn a lot of churches into heresies.

It is said in hoy writ: "The who would declare so many others as heretics is likely a source of heresy themselves." & "Do not suffer those who would impede you or confine you for merely taking your journey."

kaynorr posted:

I'd say 5-6 items for now. I imagine everyone will fiddle with it as time goes by and they alter/revise their builds based upon the party composition and what they're finding fun or effective.

Okay! Any restrictions to this?

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Herr Tog posted:

Okay! Any restrictions to this?

Nothing more than the standard "I'll look at it and it won't drop if I think it's game breaking either by design or in our environment". I don't think anyone is planning a frostcheese build or anything like that, but if a particular item is completely pivotal to your character let me know. I'm a big fan of Named Swords and stuff like that, really helps create a sense of legend to your character if he is known as much by his gear as his dashing good looks.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Okay so not worrying about levels of items or quantity right now?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
wednesday right?

Also List SO FAR:

Rebuking chainmail
Flaming short sword
Brooch of Shielding
Viper Belt
Forgemaster's Gloves
Bracelet of the Radiant Storm
Closed Mind
Avandra's boon of escape
Avandra's Whisper
Avandra's Ring
Circlet of Authority

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 26, 2014

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
So are we actually starting the real campaign on Wednesday or just continuing wherever you guys left off of the practice campaign thing?

Also, magic item list:
Weapon of Defense (Longsword)
Reinforcing Armor (Plate)
Phylactery of Action (Arms)
Amulet of Physical Resolve (Neck)
Belt of Vigor (Waist)

Edit: Also do you want us to actually track equipment weight and stuff? Because I'm already at a heavy load with pretty basic equipment.

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 25, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'm going to have to bow out, sorry. You might see if that NutritiousSnack guy wants to take my place.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Yes, we are on for this Wednesday, August 27th at 7 PM PST. We'll be resuming the intro adventure that we started last session. We may or may not finish it, depending upon how quickly the subsequent encounters go.

I've messaged NutriciousSnack about taking the open spot, if I don't hear from him in the next 48 hours or so I'll open it up to the general goon populace.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Is it cool if I play a Warlord, I had an idea of playing a junior officer or noble going AWOL to find riches and glory, or some type of hippie/stoner Druid off on a quest of enlightenment/actually skimping important responsibilites.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Up to kaynorr but:

NutritiousSnack posted:

...or some type of hippie/stoner Druid off on a quest of enlightenment/actually skimping important responsibilites.
This would probably be best since Cerepol is making a Warlord.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Alright that's cool, I'll have something tomorrow mourning.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

kaynorr posted:

Yes, we are on for this Wednesday, August 27th at 7 PM PST. We'll be resuming the intro adventure that we started last session. We may or may not finish it, depending upon how quickly the subsequent encounters go.

I've messaged NutriciousSnack about taking the open spot, if I don't hear from him in the next 48 hours or so I'll open it up to the general goon populace.

Alright, is there a character that P.dot was supposed to play that I'm taking over or anything?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Flame112 posted:

Alright, is there a character that P.dot was supposed to play that I'm taking over or anything?

Yes, an artificer with a magic crossbow that they sometimes use.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

Alright that's cool, I'll have something tomorrow mourning.

Make the warlord if you want. I've got like 4 character ideas floating in my head (and several semi-made).

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I want a warlord in the party cause it sounds like this world is going to war and I really like warlords. Lord War

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Hey, I'd like to test this character in the "Intro" adventure if you don't mind?

EDIT: Actually whatever I've already decided on my Character at this point just going to write some backstory in.

I'm going to be a Cunning Bard, with a later multiclass into Warlord.

Heres the character file. I'll drop a wishlist in the thread at some point.

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 27, 2014

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Pumped and down for tonight.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

We are on in mumble and ready to rock. Join the 420 virgin nerd station and we can get you hooked up with connection details for Fantasy Grounds.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm in and ready to ROLL SON.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
You were missed. We killed a giant eye

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I gained a total of 32 life that combat. 12+12+8 and then after I used 2 more surges for a total of 48 healing to get back to full life. Was quite fun I call second next combat.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I'm gonna be busy riding a train on 9/3 so I'm gonna have to miss that session unfortunately. I should be good for any future ones though.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Flame112 posted:

I'm gonna be busy riding a train on 9/3 so I'm gonna have to miss that session unfortunately. I should be good for any future ones though.

Assuming NutritiousSnack emerges from the shadows, we are still good to go for tomorrow, Wednesday September 3rd at 7 PM PST.

NutritiousSnack, you out there? We haven't heard from you since your post a week ago.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I'm down for tomorrow at 10EST!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Also down to finish the deed.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

I've sent a message to DeliciousSnack, but if we don't hear from him then tonight's game is not going to happen. I'll post in this thread close to game time once we know for sure.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Then I'll assuming you'll open recruitment again?

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Al Baron posted:

Then I'll assuming you'll open recruitment again?

That's correct.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Three hours till game. Any word if we are on or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Herr Tog posted:

Three hours till game. Any word if we are on or not?

Let's put it this way, I wouldn't cancel any other plans you have for the evening.

• Locked thread