Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metallyca
Oct 26, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

What's the reason for 2012 R2 AD domain and forest not being compatible with Exchange 2013 CU3?

Probably because Exchange 2013 SP1 is when they officially added support for Server 2012 R2.

metallyca fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Oh ok that would make sense. For whatever reason in my mind I couldn't work that out.

TheDestructinator
Jul 18, 2006
Exchange Online question: If I have users synced on-prem with dirsync and/or ADFS, if the AD user account is disabled, their Office365 license will stay intact, correct? They'll just be unable to access email right?

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

TheDestructinator posted:

Exchange Online question: If I have users synced on-prem with dirsync and/or ADFS, if the AD user account is disabled, their Office365 license will stay intact, correct? They'll just be unable to access email right?

They won't be able to authenticate, but yes their licenses will stay intact (also ADFS doesn't do any synchronizing, it's only used for authentication).

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

TheDestructinator posted:

Correct and btw an interesting thing about dirsync: if the user is enabled, but password is expired and syncing with dirsync, the user will still be able to log in to OWA. So the user doesn't have to reset their password and won't even know she needs to until she tries to do some other AD related thing.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
When a senior management person leaves our business my boss wants a copy of all their email "just in case". What is the best way to go about doing that? We're on Exchange 2010 with roaming profiles, redirecting all profile folders except AppData, so I'm guessing a PST in My Docs or on a network drive is no good.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you not just disable their AD account, convert their Exchange mailbox to a shared one and set the permissions on it appropriately? Am I missing something?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
It's basically a forever thing with him and I don't want to junk up the system with a bunch of ancient mailboxes. Wouldn't that also still use up a license? In the time he's been here I can think of maybe 8-10 people I've done this with but this is the first one since we went to Exchange.

The best I've come up with so far is exporting everything to PST then selectively importing Inbox, Sent, Deleted into a separate folder so he doesn't get a bunch of calendars and event reminders he doesn't need.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I'd give them a 1 year on the shared mailbox, then export to pst to archive.

Or tell your boss to loving man up and get an archiver.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox <some user> -FilePath \\networkdrive\share\folders\email.pst -ExcludeFolders Calendar,Contacts,Journal,Tasks,Notes,CommunicationHistory,Voicemail,Fax,Conflicts,SyncIssues,LocalFailures,ServerFailures

That'll create a copy of whatever the person has in their mailbox (includes dumpster data) at the specified location and won't include the excluded folders. Pretty much exactly what your boss wants.

Edit: tables.

Will Styles fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 21, 2014

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Goddamn powershell is awesome. (Already use a similar cmdlet for my own scripts)

edit: REMEMBER to give the trusted exchange group (or similarly worded group) full R/W to that network share.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Will Styles posted:

New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox <some user> -FilePath \\networkdrive\share\folders\email.pst -ExcludeFolders Calendar,Contacts,Journal,Tasks,Notes,CommunicationHistory,Voicemail,Fax,Conflicts,SyncIssues,LocalFailures,ServerFailures

That'll create a copy of whatever the person has in their mailbox (includes dumpster data) at the specified location and won't include the excluded folders. Pretty much exactly what your boss wants.

And there's no problem with him accessing that over the network? I thought that was not recommended due to potential corruption of the PST.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Ticket closed: Advise user against practice, still assisted diligently.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

And there's no problem with him accessing that over the network? I thought that was not recommended due to potential corruption of the PST.
I personally make the directory where I export ex-user PST's read-only for normal users and tell people to copy the PST to somewhere on their computer then open it in Outlook.

...not that I really need it anymore considering I have a mail archiving server.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
^^^ Also a good way to handle the psts

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Generally the advice of not accessing PSTs over a network drive tends to be for people that are going to be using it a lot in their workflow. Specifically it has to do with the way Outlook writes data to the pst not working well over a network connection. From what you've said this shouldn't really be an issue since mainly he'd be doing searching and copying data from the pst.

In my organization when we perform something like this what we do is export the file to a local machine (\\machinename\C$\folder\mail.pst) and then burn the .pst file to a cd/dvd (or create a self extracting archive if it's over the 4.7 GB DVD size and put it on multiple disks). Then my boss just holds on to these DVDs of pst files and we don't really need to keep anything anywhere on the network.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Cpt.Wacky posted:

When a senior management person leaves our business my boss wants a copy of all their email "just in case". What is the best way to go about doing that? We're on Exchange 2010 with roaming profiles, redirecting all profile folders except AppData, so I'm guessing a PST in My Docs or on a network drive is no good.

how about make a new datastore for terminated employees and throw it on some cheap storage.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I just got off the phone with "Microsoft" regarding a support ticket with Office 365. Their reasoning that the SPF hard fail option doesn't block mail (it gives it a SCL of 5) is because too many people have incorrectly configured SPF records. I mean, that's why SPF has the option to soft fail, but what ever. So their official solution is that we need that transport rule to mimic SPF.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Is there any way to figure out why an email get's categorized as spam in Office 365?

I'm receiving email from a certain domain that always goes into my junk email folder. Yes, I could just add the domain to my safe senders, but I wanted to find out why it's getting triggered as spam. Looking at the headers, they even have a correct SPF record so the headers has Received-SPF: Pass, yet for some reason, the email is getting a SCL of 5. The email also appears to have a DKIM-Signature header.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Related question is anyone here using a separate spam filter in addition to o365? Like mxlogic or postini or something?

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
^^ We don't have Exchange out in the cloud just yet but we plan on using our existing Barracudas as the mx record location once we go into hybrid mode.

kiwid posted:

Is there any way to figure out why an email get's categorized as spam in Office 365?

I'm receiving email from a certain domain that always goes into my junk email folder. Yes, I could just add the domain to my safe senders, but I wanted to find out why it's getting triggered as spam. Looking at the headers, they even have a correct SPF record so the headers has Received-SPF: Pass, yet for some reason, the email is getting a SCL of 5. The email also appears to have a DKIM-Signature header.

Not really. Since publicizing how EOP scores emails would trivialize the system so the exact reason a message is scored at a certain level isn't available. You could open a support request and they may provide you with some specific thing that is causing a specific email or set of emails to be scored a certain way, but you won't be able to find a detailed breakdown of why emails get scored the way they do.

If you're using enterprise O365 you can create transport rules that score messages any way you want. So if you have messages coming in from a specific vendor for example you can set those to always be set to an SCL of 0 to keep it from being marked as spam or an SCL of -1 to prevent it from going to the junk mail folder in any circumstance.

Will Styles fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 27, 2014

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Hey guys, I've been having a really irritating time with my iPhone connecting to my company's Exchange server, and my IT department hasn't been any help. The response has mostly been "you're entering your password wrong" which is definitely not the case.

Symptoms-
  • My iPhone constantly asks for my Exchange password. Sometimes, it won't accept it and will just keep flashing the password entry box, other times it will accept it, and it will download my mail. If I try to log into the Outlook webmail while my phone is not working, webmail errors with "username or password incorrect". Actual Outlook on my laptop logs in fine (they have it set to use my Windows credentials, which also doesn't work sometimes, see below).

• My phone constantly asks me if I want to accept my Exchange server's SSL certificate.

• Sometimes, completely unrelated, Outlook will stop checking my mail and says "need password". I give it my credentials, and it starts working again. Other times, my computer says "please press ctrl-alt-del to verify your credentials". During one of those times, I tried logging back in and it said my account was locked. It has happened a few times since then and I just reboot my computer because that won't lock my account.
I deleted my Exchange account on all other devices except for my phone. On my Mac at home, I went into the key store to make absolutely sure it wasn't trying to log into my company's Exchange server. On my phone, I have deleted and re-added my account several times. My IT department is convinced that a.)I keep entering the wrong password and b.)some other device is logging in repeatedly and it's locking out my account. I asked them to check the logs to see what device that was but they haven't gotten back to me. Yesterday they asked me to change my password to a different one, and they would turn off the password expiration. Almost 6 hours later, I was back at square one with my iPhone once again asking me for the new password, that it wouldn't accept.

I have had the same phone since November of last year and up until June of this year, it's been working completely fine. Around June, the IT department updated the Exchange server...I noticed because the webmail was completely different. Obviously something is hosed somewhere...do you guys have any ideas?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What does https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com say?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I tried the activesync test and it fails during "Validating certificate trust for Windows Mobile devices." The more info says "The certificate chain couldn't be built. You may be missing required intermediate certificates."

edit: Oh, I disabled the SSL check and got the following "An HTTP 401 Unauthorized response was received from the server. This may be the result of invalid credentials or a configuration problem on the Exchange Server."

My credentials are valid since I used them to log into my computer...and Outlook on said computer is working fine.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 28, 2014

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Your outlook on your computer may be authenticating in a different way than your iphone so that's not a great test.

Are any other users having this problem? Coworkers etc? Also do you have a friend whose iphone you can use to test just in case?

"b.)some other device is logging in repeatedly and it's locking out my account. " that's my instinct as well.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Apologies if this seems like a silly question - But when the SSL cert prompt comes up, do you actually accept it? If so, what happens when you accept the cert?

Edit: Do you have any VPN software that authenticates against AD/your windows credentials?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
So an update on this, now that it's been a few days-

I did a factory reset on my phone and it's totally fine now. We have to change our passwords every 40-60 days (I forget which) and I assume that whenever I put in my most recent password, it kept using the old one? That still doesn't explain why it worked sometimes and didn't others but like I said, it's totally fine now. I also haven't received any certificate errors since the reset. The IT department changed my password policy so now it's extremely long but doesn't expire so it should theoretically never happen again.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Has anyone ever uninstalled exchange where you uninstall it from add/remove programs and at it actually completes successfully? I feel like it's almost always easier in my environments (small, single-box exch) to just turn it off and manually remove references from AD. What am I doing wrong?

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 11, 2014

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Has anyone ever uninstalled exchange where you uninstall it from add/remove programs and at it actually completes successfully? I feel like it's almost always easier in my environments (small, single-box exch) to just turn it off and manually remove references from AD. What am I doing wrong?

I use add/remove programs and only had issues with 2003 boxes where I had use AD removal. 2007/2010 have all uninstalled successfully for me.

Removing manually can work but you have to be sure to remove all references. If you forget something it can cause all kinds of weird issues.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I think I remove all the things

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Exchange megathread: I think I remove all the things.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Anyone got any pointers on the manual AD removal? I've got an inherited domain that used to have SBS installed and there's loads of poo poo left in the AD.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Hi!

I'm a junior IT admin with really basic skills with server administration. I did 7 years in support. I just did my Windows Server Administration Fundamentals certification (MTA) and now I've the opportunity to climb the ladder and be a junior admin.

Soon, we'll migrate Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013 and there's a possibility that I'll be the one in charge of the migration (don't ask why!). But I know very little of Exchange (I know how to USE it, to create mailboxes, lists) but not how to manage it.

So I need a really good book to learn Exchange 2013 from the perspective of a new user and not someone who already know Exchange. Can anyone suggest me something?

Thanks alot!

(Just so you know: I won't be alone is this but I want to learn more about Exch2013 before they throw me in this migration and ask questions each 2 minutes.)

Sturmtiger IV
Jun 20, 2004

So is that thing a robot or a monkey or what

ShiroTheSniper posted:

So I need a really good book to learn Exchange 2013 from the perspective of a new user and not someone who already know Exchange. Can anyone suggest me something?

Thanks alot!

(Just so you know: I won't be alone is this but I want to learn more about Exch2013 before they throw me in this migration and ask questions each 2 minutes.)

Having done the same migration (though going between Exchange 2010 to Office 365 with DirSync) I honestly found the most complete information to be on TechNet. It's pretty dry, but also pretty up-to-date and complete. Also there tends to be a good number of more reading-friendly TechNet blogs out there for current topics. And the Get-Help <command> -full cmdlet for PowerShell is the BEST! :)

I do know a fellow admin got this book, Mastering Microsoft Exchange Server 2013, but I can't vouch for it myself.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Hi!

I'm a junior IT admin with really basic skills with server administration. I did 7 years in support. I just did my Windows Server Administration Fundamentals certification (MTA) and now I've the opportunity to climb the ladder and be a junior admin.

Soon, we'll migrate Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013 and there's a possibility that I'll be the one in charge of the migration (don't ask why!). But I know very little of Exchange (I know how to USE it, to create mailboxes, lists) but not how to manage it.

Thanks alot!

My answer really depends. How many users? Current connectivity setup: just internal access only, internal for Outlook but OWA and active sync exposed to the internet, etc. Blackberry? Enterprise Vault? Good? Any kind of enterprise level application that does heavy communication with Exchange? Public folders?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The jump from exchange 2010 to 2013 will literally put you in new-user mode. The middling administration toolkit that was the EMC is gone and now there is Exchange Control Panel (light touch administration, new users and lists your familiar with) and Exchange Management Console (provisioning stores, managing public folders).

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Anyone got any pointers on the manual AD removal? I've got an inherited domain that used to have SBS installed and there's loads of poo poo left in the AD.

SBS will add a lot of garbage that's not even really related to its domain controller or exchange server status. For Exchange server you remove references in adsi edit. for domain controller google "remove orphan domain controller" or something like that. Pretty sure I'm forgetting a really important part so hopefully someone jumps in.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

incoherent posted:

Exchange megathread: I think I remove all the things.

yeah

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Don't worry, I have a exchange 2003 and a loving blackberry deployment i've been ignoring/avoiding since moving to 2010.

I'm gonna be looking to remove a lotta things.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

The Electronaut posted:

My answer really depends. How many users? Current connectivity setup: just internal access only, internal for Outlook but OWA and active sync exposed to the internet, etc. Blackberry? Enterprise Vault? Good? Any kind of enterprise level application that does heavy communication with Exchange? Public folders?

1000+ users onsite and roaming (vpn), Internal/External OWA, Active Sync, Blackberry's going out, iPhones going in, Public folders.

And thanks for all your answers by the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Ugh. This one will be fun.