Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
SO, like, when is the game actually going to be 100% done. I've been looking forward to it, but it sounds like it's only going to get better the later I wait.

Not exactly chomping at the bit to endure for very long after what is apparently a crazy cliffhanger either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

SO, like, when is the game actually going to be 100% done. I've been looking forward to it, but it sounds like it's only going to get better the later I wait.

Not exactly chomping at the bit to endure for very long after what is apparently a crazy cliffhanger either.

They're probably going to add a few more HD assets (though I'm not sure what, since they seem to have added all the portraits and menus already), and they've yet to add in the Monster Guide thing (which really isn't very important), and those are pretty much the only two major things I can think of to come. Other than that, some bugfixes, ranging from minor to pretty big, although the pretty big ones don't seem to be affecting the majority of users anymore, from what I can tell. The addition of HD art seems to have messed up the sound for some people, for instance. They've been fixing stuff pretty quick, so I imagine most of this'll be resolved quite soon. You're probably fine to just jump in now, to be honest.

There's other things I'm not sure will ever be addressed, such as little bits of weirdness now and then due to the game not initially being widescreen (like characters who are meant to walk offscreen instead walking right to the edge of the screen and stopping) and other minor things like that, but they aren't exactly important.

I am wondering where that little animation you got on the PSP version when you cooked something went. Thought it was kind of odd that wasn't in.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Huh, is the Grail Locket quartz bugged? I made Rank 2 but I don't see it anywhere in my inventory, and the bracer guide doesn't list it either.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

YF-23 posted:

Huh, is the Grail Locket quartz bugged? I made Rank 2 but I don't see it anywhere in my inventory, and the bracer guide doesn't list it either.

Its an accessory not a quartz. You need to go into the Equip menu.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

SC Bracer posted:

Its an accessory not a quartz. You need to go into the Equip menu.

Oh whoops. I thought it was a quartz for some reason. I even looked in my accessories first but I guess I must've missed it. Thanks!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Did the newest patch break fonts for anyone else?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Science has gone too far this time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

FrickenMoron posted:

Did the newest patch break fonts for anyone else?
Break, no, but it does cut off a little bit for me in battle around the edges:

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Ys Celceta: Can anyone with a completed list help me figure out which items I'm missing? I'm at 99.5% chests, so hoping what I missed overlaps and gives me a place to start looking.

Halbred: #3, 4 and 8

Spears: #5, 6 and 10

Gauntlets: #7, 8 and 13

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Ys Celceta: Can anyone with a completed list help me figure out which items I'm missing? I'm at 99.5% chests, so hoping what I missed overlaps and gives me a place to start looking.

Halbred: #3, 4 and 8

Spears: #5, 6 and 10

Gauntlets: #7, 8 and 13

Don't have the game on hand, but it sounds like 6 of them are the ones from the blacksmith quests, and the other 3 are the sunstone ultimate weapons you didn't pick. For the first 6, you had to pick between two weapons to test for the blacksmith, and you have to pick the other one in a second playthrough to get the other weapons. There were 3 of these quests, each giving you two weapons, the test version and the finished one. There's only three sunstones per playthrough, so you need to do a second run for those as well.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

That's right, thanks. I didn't realize the blacksmith quests counted at 2 weapons. Well poo poo. Looks like I have to go chest hunt.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Just a wild guess, but there's a very well-hidden chest in the Tower of providence where you would normally use Calilica's ability to get across here:

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Nope, it was in frogs inn. I actually got all the chests and map completion within about 30 minutes, only to be stumped by 98% harvest points before getting mad at video games and deciding to forget going for platinum. It was a pretty fun ride though, just wish like 95% of the dialogue didn't exist. How does Ys 7 stack up?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ive finished Trails today, theyre already working on localising the Second Chapter, right? Day 1 purchase for me.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

Ive finished Trails today, theyre already working on localising the Second Chapter, right? Day 1 purchase for me.

yup. Slated to be released end of this year/start of next.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Just got to the end of Chapter 3 for trails. How does this game keep getting better and better? :allears:

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Quick question about the achievement for reading all the Liberl News issues here. I was just wondering if I can get this achievement even if I've missed one issue, if I load a save from the point where I missed an issue and read it then? I've read issues 1-6, and I missed out issue 7. Figured I'd reload an earlier save and read 7, but having done so, the achievement progress bar still says I've only read 6 of them.

Aaaaaaand it looks like it's updated itself. I suppose it just took a while. Never mind!

smenj fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 24, 2014

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

TitS players on Intel graphics hardware experiencing crashes when changing zones or exiting battles:

Disable hardware vertex shading.

Sara deserves a raise. What a hero.

FrickenMoron posted:

Yes, but much of the translation is being done by goons at Carpe Fulgar translations (Recettear, Fortune Summoners).

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

Yes, but much of the translation is being done by goons at Carpe Fulgar translations (Recettear, Fortune Summoners).

I think they're doing the whole thing, actually. XSEED's just doing editing and stuff, as far as I know.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

smenj posted:

I think they're doing the whole thing, actually. XSEED's just doing editing and stuff, as far as I know.

We're doing the entire base translation and a good deal of the editing; XSEED is doing a bit of script editing as well, and ofc Sara is handling the code side of things for the PC version.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

SpaceDrake posted:

We're doing the entire base translation and a good deal of the editing; XSEED is doing a bit of script editing as well, and ofc Sara is handling the code side of things for the PC version.

Yesssss.

How do you think SC will compare to FC? The dialog in FC is pretty bland but I think it's a matter of writing and Japanese character tropes, not the translation.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Heran Bago posted:

Yesssss.

How do you think SC will compare to FC? The dialog in FC is pretty bland but I think it's a matter of writing and Japanese character tropes, not the translation.

It's honestly hard for me to judge, being so closely involved. I think the original script in Japanese has some brilliant moments and I've done my level best to make those moments brillig in English as well, but I think some of it will come down to the eye of the beholder.

There are times where SC gets Anime As All Hell, but there's also a lot of stuff being set up in FC, beyond the main plot, that will be addressed in SC.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Maybe I'm just a sucker for anime as hell and/or cliched dialogue but I'm loving every piece of dialogue in FC. I even love the silly overly dramatic cutscenes. :3:

Thank you for bringing this game to Steam, I'm gonna get SC first day.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The dialogue in Trails is very good and charming in my opinion, although I do recall the prologue being a little weaker on this front. It pretty much has to be, because there's a lot of it :v: I like anime though, so that should tell you a lot about my opinions (i.e that they're good).

honestly a part of me views Trails as some bizzaro actually good Golden Sun, with the duology and the cliffhanger and the lots of dialogue and the magic system where elemental macguffins are equipped in different combinations to learn different spells.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 25, 2014

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cake Attack posted:

The dialogue in Trails is very good and charming in my opinion, although I do recall the prologue being a little weaker on this front. It pretty much has to be, because there's a lot of it :v:

Do you mean the start where Joshua gets brought home to an angry Estelle? I loved that part. I saw that in a screenshot LP in the LP subforum and that convinced me that I had to get this game even though I've never played a jrpg game before.

Sorry for going on, I didn't expect to be hooked onto Trails as much as I got hooked onto Ys Origin and Chronicles.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

Do you mean the start where Joshua gets brought home to an angry Estelle? I loved that part. I saw that in a screenshot LP in the LP subforum and that convinced me that I had to get this game even though I've never played a jrpg game before.

Sorry for going on, I didn't expect to be hooked onto Trails as much as I got hooked onto Ys Origin and Chronicles.

Nah that part owns, also that was my LP :v:

The prologue is the first chapter of the game, everything in Rolent.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Ryuga Death posted:

Well, that's the very beginning of the game, and is in the prologue, but the prologue actually continues way past that point. Chapter 1 only starts when you hear that Cassius has gone missing and have to head to Bose. I'm sure Cake Attack's referring to most of the rest of the prologue, rather than that specific scene.

EDIT: Well, there you go. (And it was a great LP, too!)

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cake Attack posted:

Nah that part owns, also that was my LP :v:

The prologue is the first chapter of the game, everything in Rolent.

Oh neat, I only read the first part of your LP but that was a great introduction to the game.

I liked everything in Rolent, personally. It felt like a small beginning for Estelle and Joshua. Of course, the other parts of the game are just great. Maybe I just like the game too much.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah I like it too, such a large emphasis is placed on worldbuilding and making the world around you seem alive that I think taking an easy pace and slowly marinating you in the setting works well, but it's undeniably a little slow and is kinda dull to replay.

Also post your reactions when you beat the game because I like it too much as well and so I like reading them.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 25, 2014

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah I like it too, such a large emphasis is placed on worldbuilding and making the world around you seem alive that I think taking an easy pace and slowly marinating you in the setting works well, but it's undeniably a little slow and is kinda dull to replay.

Also post your reactions when you beat the game because I like it too much as well and so I like reading them.

I'm in the final dungeon place with the name I can't recall or spell. Honestly, I was already blown away by the whole attack on the castle with everyone doing their part to rescue the queen.

Also, the music in this game is amazing! :allears:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Did you beat Lorence?

Also a word of advice for the final dungeon - it's super big and kind of a slog so I'd recommend running past the generic encounters, there's like 16 of the guarded chests so you'll get plenty of EXP either way.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cake Attack posted:

Did you beat Lorence?

Also a word of advice for the final dungeon - it's super big and kind of a slog so I'd recommend running past the generic encounters, there's like 16 of the guarded chests so you'll get plenty of EXP either way.

Yes, I did! He didn't know what hit him. :D

I like the generic encounters, it's easy XP and I get easy CP for the guarded chests. I had such a hard time choosing who I wanted to go with me because I wanted everyone there. I'm really impressed at how much I ended up liking each and every character.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

God damned AA Cancelers! :argh: That place was such a pain. I mean, you got so much EXP that you didn't have to fight too much, but they didn't have to make the fights so annoying.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Ryuga Death posted:

Yeah, I read the first few updates of the Trails LP and then decided to stop reading and buy the game, just on the strength of the fantastic dialogue alone. I did not regret that, except that now I have to wait 3-6 months to see what happens next.

I liked Chapter 2 quite a bit, even though it was a step back in urgency, because it showed a bit more of what the typical life of a bracer is - (mild, vague end of Chapter 1/early Chapter 2 spoilers) it was business as usual instead of "it's personal", and seeing that side of things was rather nice.

The final chapter was also really good for basically the opposite reason, it's got a strong sense of urgency and unease, and I liked how things came together at the end in a series of excellent setpieces and scenes.

Don't hover over the spoilers unless you have finished the game.

When it was revealed in the pre-final-boss scene that [big spoilers obviously] Richard's memories had been tampered with, I went "Oh poo poo!", I didn't see that coming at all, even though it was foreshadowed.

In the post-final-boss scenes, I also didn't see the identity of the true villain coming at all. By that time, I had guessed that Joshua had probably tried to kill Cassius, and I was wondering how he was so good at everything he did, but I hadn't expected him to have been brainwashed. The reveals paid off all the foreshadowing nicely and in a completely unexpected way.

The last scene, where Joshua confesses everything, and Estelle blurts out that she loves him to try and keep him from leaving was really well done. I completely understood Joshua's reasons for leaving, even though I didn't completely agree with them. For him, they made perfect sense - the reveal had left him almost totally broken.

The ending also made me interested in how Second Chapter will play out, because Joshua really was the brains of the Estelle-Joshua team, and I'm intrigued to see how Estelle will grow and step up to the plate now that she doesn't have him to lean on.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 26, 2014

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
I really love this game and I'm totally planning on playing through new game+ soon, even though I have a million games in my backlog. SC can't come soon enough.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

Yes, I did! He didn't know what hit him. :D

What the gently caress, what did you do :stare:

I restarted that fight once to equip some confusion resistance on my guys, realized all my confusion resistance was equipped elsewhere, and gave up because jesus christ the confuse spam is real. Even beyond that, his numbers are so big that the fight would have taken me forever without needing to unconfuse myself every single turn.

Maybe I was expected to grind more, once I got haze I liberally ran past enemies on the field. I also kind of feel like my orbment setups are unimpressive, I'm in the final dungeon now and Estelle's doing a whole lot of nothing because everyone else does things she does but better.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Amppelix posted:

I restarted that fight once to equip some confusion resistance on my guys, realized all my confusion resistance was equipped elsewhere, and gave up because jesus christ the confuse spam is real. Even beyond that, his numbers are so big that the fight would have taken me forever without needing to unconfuse myself every single turn.

Maybe I was expected to grind more, once I got haze I liberally ran past enemies on the field. I also kind of feel like my orbment setups are unimpressive, I'm in the final dungeon now and Estelle's doing a whole lot of nothing because everyone else does things she does but better.

The fight isn't too bad if you know what to abuse.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Amppelix posted:

That fight is interesting because if you're unprepared, you will have a hard time of it. If you are prepared, the fight can basically be won before it begins without breaking a sweat.

Cake Attack's LP has some very good tips for how to win that fight, and they work. On Hard difficulty, I had more trouble with the filler fights leading up to that one than the boss.

Here's some advice for that fight.

Amppelix posted:

That is somewhat true. There's always someone who can do something in specific better than Estelle can. Estelle's strength is that she can do just about anything as the situation requires, partly because she has no restrictions on her orbment slots, and she has a variety of different crafts.

If you acquired her ultimate weapon (which is not easy, admittedly), that makes her a much more powerful physical attacker than anyone else in the party.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 26, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Amppelix posted:

Just a heads up for anyone in the same situation, you can buy the accessory that nullifies confuse (and other stuff) from the NPC near the airship the first zone of the area this fight goes on in.

Also unless you got her ultimate weapon by collecting every chapter of Carnelia, Estelle really is best using her turns to cast in the endgame, followed by a Barrage whenever you get 100CP since her magical and physical stats are about even and magic is better all else being equal.

e: Best spell to cast is White Gehanna. Oh, and if you're curious about your levels, I was level 36 I think by the end of the final dungeon, and level 29 (for Estelle, Kloe and Schera will be 32/34 regardless) for Lorence.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cake Attack posted:

Just a heads up for anyone in the same situation, you can buy the accessory that nullifies confuse (and other stuff) from the NPC near the airship the first zone of the area this fight goes on in.

Also unless you got her ultimate weapon by collecting every chapter of Carnelia, Estelle really is best using her turns to cast in the endgame, followed by a Barrage whenever you get 100CP since her magical and physical stats are about even and magic is better all else being equal.

e: Best spell to cast is White Gehanna. Oh, and if you're curious about your levels, I was level 36 I think by the end of the final dungeon, and level 29 (for Estelle, Kloe and Schera will be 32/34 regardless) for Lorence.

I guess I was over leveled for Lorence since Estelle for me was 32 or 33. Also, Kloe's first craft is good for Lorence and any other tough enemy in the final dungeon cause it pretty much makes them do little to no damage depending on your armor set up.

• Locked thread