Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

CobiWann posted:

He'll just regenerate into Sylvester McCoy.

"You want me... to become a god?"

"No, DoctorWhat, you're just really drunk."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CobiWann posted:

He'll just regenerate into Sylvester McCoy.

'Carrot Juice, Carrot Juice...'

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

And anyone who uses the Fifth Doctor and doesn't employ the phrase "pleasant, open face" is no real Who fan! :argh:

The Pirates! In an adventure with... series by Gideon Defoe has a slightly alarming number of Target Books phrases that keep cropping up as an in-joke for people like us, and this is probably the most frequent one. You should all read the series as it's excellent; the Who stuff is just a bonus really.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

It's at least affordable, you only have to wait one day, and as long as you have a Smart TV/Googleplay/whatever, you can watch it on your TV instead of your laptop.

I can do that. Quite a few years' experience avoiding other threads due to Hulu's airing schedule for other shows.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Is it okay to post this in this thread?

Doctor Who and the Cave Monsters (2011 Reprint)
by Malcolm Hulke
(brilliant) illustations by Chris Achilleos

It should perhaps be noted that the original 1974 print is titled Doctor Who and the Cave-Monsters. This difference is actually more relevant than the casual observer might think (though besides a few typos nothing in the text has been changed from the original print). As fans might know, the Silurians were Doctor Who monsters whose name was constantly in dispute. Barry Letts thought that technically they should be called the Eocenes. In this novelisation of his excellent script Doctor Who and the Silurians, Hulke never calls the antagonists "Silurians", but simply "reptile men", though the words does get snuck in there somewhere. This is all reminisced in this edition by Terrance Dicks, who wrote the introduction, and was good friends with Hulke. While Dicks may be the go-to face for Target novelisations, they spawned out of Hulke's and Dick's collaborations. At first they had worked together on The Making of Doctor Who, the first book of its kind, before Dicks was asked about the novelisations. It was between these two that Target first started on its novelisations, after they reprinted the novelisations that had come before. Both Doctor Who and the Auton Invasion (Spearhead from Space) by Dicks, and Doctor Who and the Cave Monsters coming out on the same day (17 Jan 1974). It was in this way that Hulke and Dicks birthed the true Target novelisations as we know them today.

quote:

The Doctor hoped that if he did not move, the monster, in its stupid way, might not realise that living flesh was but a jaw-snap away.

This particular reprint is very good, and might be preferable to the original printing because of just how nicely its framed. Terrance Dicks' introduction is charming and loving, where he expands on more detail about the novel than his comments on it in On Target -- Malcolm Hulke. This introduction is then followed by Justin Richards' The Changing Faces of Doctor Who, which explains succinctly and clearly the continuity behind the Third Doctor, UNIT, and Liz Shaw. Then there's the text itself. Then there's the About the Author by Justin Richards again, who really emphasises the great contributions Hulke made to the programme. Finally, rendering this whole write-up by me fairly useless, is Between the Lines by Steve Tribe, which is a fairly short discussion on the early history of the Target novelisations, and on how The Cave Monsters differs from The Silurians.

Steve Tribe posted:

Rather than attempt to pack all seven episodes into a 45,000 word novel, Hulke opts to rewrite his story from scratch, even rewording the majority of the dialogue.

In many ways Cave Monsters is a supplement to Silurians, and an excellent one at that. Hulke takes advantage of the medium or prose wherever he can, frequently diving into the heads of characters and adding so much depth it's like the Wenley Moor Institute itself. Dr. Lawrence becomes much more sympathetic than the cartoonish oaf shown in the serial. Major Barker (Baker in the serial) is as paranoid, deranged, and jingoisitc as ever, but the reader is given much more of a chance to pity him and to understand what drives him, the narration staying close to him at some points and even delving a bit more into his backstory. Miss Travis is also a small, new character with a nice little arc. The book is packed with things like this. Best of all are the "reptile men" themselves, no longer nameless "Silurians", but Okdel, Morka, and K'To. Simply naming them makes them much more relatable, but there's a new prologue to the story from the Silurian leader Okdel's point of view. And a chapter from Morka's point of view, which in the serial was just shots of a confused Silurian running about on some fields (if I remember correctly). It adds a whole new level to a story that is very much rooted in character drama. I've not seen Warriors of the Deep, but apparently these names are mentioned in that TV serial, which is really quite nice. The Doctor himself is as dry and witty as ever, but seems a little bit less rude than he did originally (Silurians being his second serial). This Doctor seems closer to how he was later on, which makes sense with the years in between the broadcast of Silurians in 1970, and this novel being written in 1974.

A Silurian

The Eleventh Doctor posted:

They're not aliens! They're... Earth-liens! Once known as the Silurian race or, some would argue, Eocenes, or homo reptilia.

But don't think all this depth bloats the story. Instead it streamlines it. The story from Silurians is rejigged enough so that different characters have character moments at different points, making it all flow a lot more nicely. Some scenes are omitted when characters are doing other things, so that the story is pleasingly linear. For instance, the early scene where the Doctor discovers some logs are missing is omitted, simply having him catch up with Liz to tell her he did that later. Maybe it sounds lame, but it isn't. It stops it feeling like the slog Silurians can sometimes feel like. It's one of my favourite Doctor Who stories ever, but 7 parts is just a little too long.

quote:

‘Quite honestly,’ said Masters, ‘I’m trying to do my best to cope with what you are saying, but I find it impossible to imagine a lizard armed with a sub-machine gun!’

‘So do I,’ said the Doctor. ‘They are far too advanced for that sort of thing.’

This book is really good. I'd say it's the Target novelisation to read if you want to dip in. With that said, there are a few detractors. In prose some of the back and forth between the caves and the base can seem a little repetitive. Also, as prose is often slower paced to just read than on the screen, the whole business with everyone ignoring the Doctor's pleas for quarantine are obviously ridiculous. I also don't really buy Frederick Master's character, which sticks out a little to me as everyone else is just so rich in this novelisation.

Malcolm Hulke

Overall though this book is totally rad. If you've not read a Target novelisation before, just get this one. The reprint is super cheap and it's really nice having it presented like this. If you've loved Silurians and not read this, then I think you owe it to yourself. Silurians is a fantastic Doctor Who story that epitomises everything I love about Doctor Who. It's a really heartfelt tragedy in places, but of the most alien kind. Perhaps some of the best Earth-bound Doctor Who has to offer.

---

Excuse poor grammar and typos in this, it's been a long day.

I've still never read a Virgin New Adventures. If someone could recommend one that's £2.99 from this seller I'd love to get one. Thanks! I went with The Pit and Blood Tide.

PoshAlligator fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 21, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
From the other thread as we try to make this thread the "One Doctor..."

DoctorWhat posted:

On Christmas 2013, BBC America did, in fact, broadcast Night ON AMERICAN TELEVISION as the first 6 minutes of Day

...for some reason, I have a huge smile on my face because of this post.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

CobiWann posted:

From the other thread as we try to make this thread the "One Doctor..."

...for some reason, I have a huge smile on my face because of this post.

You think you're smiling? I was there! I was WATCHING IT AND PAUL MCGANN SHOWED UP ON ACTUAL TELEVISION!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still remember in the build-up to Day of the Doctor popping into the thread one night and somebody posting,"Oh hey apparently there's going to be a prequel up in a few minutes?" and then all of a sudden we're watching Paul McGann running around in a spaceship as the Doctor :aaa:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I still remember in the build-up to Day of the Doctor popping into the thread one night and somebody posting,"Oh hey apparently there's going to be a prequel up in a few minutes?" and then all of a sudden we're watching Paul McGann running around in a spaceship as the Doctor :aaa:

I wish I'd been in the thread for that.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I just remember reading Gallifrey Base and posters were actually getting ANGRY at all the rumors of McGann appearing again, they were so convinced the dream was dead.

Their reactions to NotD were the most priceless.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It's amazing how easily McGann slipped into the physical acting side of the Doctor again.

There's a certain rapidity to the way the 8th Doctor moves in the TV Movie. His head will dart around looking at things, taking it all in, and he does that again in the opening scene of Night. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:swoon:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ah, that sets my heart all aflutter every time~

Even now, long after it happened, it manages to be incredibly exciting that it ever happened at all.

McGann's the best.

:allears:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Eiba posted:

Even now, long after it happened, it manages to be incredibly exciting that it ever happened at all.

McGann's the best.

I'm still hoping his Twitter pic of him on a green-backlit TARDIS set is the harbinger for something amazing this season...

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

CobiWann posted:

I'm still hoping his Twitter pic of him on a green-backlit TARDIS set is the harbinger for something amazing this season...

The Two Doctors 2.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

PoshAlligator posted:

The Two Doctors 2.

I'm down. So who revived Holmes?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

DoctorWhat posted:

There's a lot about this post that could be discussed, and I suggest migrating to the New Thread

Oh, okay. I thought-

Nevermind. Someone should close the old thread, maybe?

And I guess I'll crosspost this:

Autonomous Monster posted:

So. I haven't watched Who in years. I was one of those people who really, really did not like River Song, and season 6 more or less killed me.

But I loved Capaldi in TToI and Occupation's hatewatch thread got me thinking about the show again, so I thought it might be fun to get back into the groove.

Sat down to watch Day of the Doctor, and- holy loving poo poo. The effects in this. Are. Ludicrous. How the hell did they afford this? Did the Beeb mortgage the Home Counties or what?

(Also: John Hurt's only been on screen for half a second but he's already rocking it. :allears:)

(Also also: is it just me or is Night of the Doctor six straight minutes of wall to wall exposition? The actors work the poo poo out of it, but still.)

Finished now. That was really, really great. Firing on all cylinders, including cylinders I didn't know it had.

If the show could be like this all the time... :negative:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, R.I.P., Hartnell avatar, I'll miss you and how much your grumpy face made people angry when they disagreed with me. I guess I'll give whoever bought this stupid one a little bit of time to get their money's worth and then I'll be in the market for a Troughton one to regenerate into.

I'll be looking for his smarmiest, most condescending face, something like the two of these, if anyone thinks of any. Otherwise I'll just be shuffling through GIS.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I'll be looking for his smarmiest, most condescending face

How about one of these?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Those first two are right up my alley, thanks!

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Jerusalem posted:

DoctorWhat posted:

I wish I'd been in the thread for that.

The best part is everyone thought it was another web prequel like they'd done for much of the previous two seasons. There was no mention of who would be in it. So imagine this:

"I'm a Doctor,
but probably not the one you were expecting."

Followed by a full page of virtual squealing.

Kevos Setzer fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 22, 2014

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

ImpulseDrive posted:

iPlayer seems to be a UK only thing. Guess I'll have to watch through Amazon.

Well there are ways of Watching iPlayer outside the UK but I won't go into detail here

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Well, R.I.P., Hartnell avatar, I'll miss you and how much your grumpy face made people angry when they disagreed with me. I guess I'll give whoever bought this stupid one a little bit of time to get their money's worth and then I'll be in the market for a Troughton one to regenerate into.

I'll be looking for his smarmiest, most condescending face, something like the two of these, if anyone thinks of any. Otherwise I'll just be shuffling through GIS.

You know, I almost wish if some one had to buy some one else an avatar, they had to give a reason for it.

I feel like there's a story here.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

You know, I almost wish if some one had to buy some one else an avatar, they had to give a reason for it.

I feel like there's a story here.

There isn't really. Sorry. The Smash Brothers thread got mad at me.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I nominate:

Edit: Wait, does this mean that David Hyde Pierce is The Other?

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 22, 2014

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
For those who don't have archives, have some of the reaction to Night of the Doctor:

DJ Ramshackle posted:

HOLY loving poo poo

"I'm a doctor, just not the one you were expecting"

Organza Quick posted:

Holy gently caress holy gently caress holy gently caress

Did they just make Charlie Pollard actual real proper TV canon?

Stobbit posted:

That was absolutely loving incredible. I don't care what anyone says, I have never been more excited for an episode of Doctor Who than I am for Day.

CobiWann posted:

Why did I have to go into work today?!?

Closing the door at lunch for a "personal phone call."

The_Doctor posted:

For six wonderful minutes, my Doctor was back on screen.

"Jerusalem' posted:

Holy poo poo, never in my wildest dreams did I expect to see anything like that. That was loving glorious and I am so, so, so happy for him

The period lead up to the 50th was one of the most fun times I've experienced as a Whoivan.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was also notable for a large number of people sending Nick Briggs congratulations for having Big Finish made "canon" and Briggs being caught between wanting to thank them and insisting that goddammit it was ALWAYS "canon" and pre-dated the revival. :allears:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Bicyclops posted:

, or , or perhaps ?

Eiba posted:

McGann's the best.

The Night of the Doctor is brilliant, but the fact that it exists in the first place is the absolute best thing about it. Between seeing Sylvester dangling from the Dragonfire cliff in The Name of the Doctor, Night, Day, and The Five(ish) Doctors and An Adventure in Space and Time, last year really was a wonderful time to be a fan.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
When McGann said his first line and it rolled to credits, I had to stop the playback to get my breath back. I can't say that's ever happened to me before.

It was just such an obviously impossible thing to happen. Far and away my favourite part of the whole anniversary.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 22, 2014

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I'm down. So who revived Holmes?

Seriously. I've been trying for years.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Forktoss posted:

, or , or perhaps

I'm really torn, because that first one is pretty much the exact same look at the Hartnell one, but the second one will be more infuriating when I disagree with someone. What's a fair time period to give to people who spend money on angry avatars, anyway? A week?

I loved the McGann comeback, but the moment that really got me was Tom Baker's cameo. I don't care how little sense it made, watching him smile and tap his nose was the greatest. Also, he was told not to tell anybody he was going to be in the special, and did an interview where he talked about it anyway, because he is the ultimate troll.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's not even a clever custom av. Just replace it now and further infuriate that thread.

avtalk edit - Someone find me a brooding McCoy av. I'm tired of the spacemen.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 22, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

From the Doctor Who World Tour Q&A in Rio:

Capaldi's FAAACEEE

(He went on to admonish the silent crowd with the phrase "And you call yourselves Doctor Who fans)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Capaldi is really the greatest at being gracious to fans. He seems a little less overwhelmed by the fame than Smith and Tennant, but he still has all happy shock at achieving his childhood dream. I know it's a trying job, but I hope the guy sticks around for four or five seasons.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Capaldi's FAAACEEE

(He went on to admonish the silent crowd with the phrase "And you call yourselves Doctor Who fans)

This is the best. Capaldi is the best.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Actually this is the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuZk-5vaxUk

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BEIGE BATBALL VEGETABLE BOYFRIEND!

DoctorWhat posted:

Capaldi's FAAACEEE

Can we just make Peter Capaldi the new showrunner? It'd be like a Player/Manager in US batball.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Boffo indeed!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Tom having Edible Gelatin Infants in his inventory was my favorite part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I'm seriously considering making my new avatar. With "WOULD YOU LIKE TASTY GELATIN INFANT?" as the text, of course.

• Locked thread