Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's awesome but it's not really a roguelike. More correct description would be an XCom-like Stealth-Em-Up.
How many similarities XCom has to normal roguelikes is up to debate though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Since i brought it up a bit ago, is anybody still playing nuclear throne? Which characters do you use? My most successful runs have all been robot but i think melting is the most fun to play.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

andrew smash posted:

Since i brought it up a bit ago, is anybody still playing nuclear throne? Which characters do you use? My most successful runs have all been robot but i think melting is the most fun to play.

for some reason i really like crystal and rebel. i never end up using rebel's power because i always forget, but her damage spray on hit is pretty good. crystal is fun to play if you get her throne butt upgrade.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like fish and robot. i can't seem to figure out how to use fish's roll but the extra ammo is great. robot just scratches my "gotta collect everything" itch. i've tried melt out but despite the incredibly awesome nature of their power i just can't seem to survive their fragility :sigh:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Tollymain posted:

i like fish and robot. i can't seem to figure out how to use fish's roll but the extra ammo is great. robot just scratches my "gotta collect everything" itch. i've tried melt out but despite the incredibly awesome nature of their power i just can't seem to survive their fragility :sigh:

melt is touch and go, rhino skin is a must if it comes up but it doesn't always. I've made it to the scrapyard without rhino skin but never past it.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I'm big on YV and Steroid, but I'm crazy and I go for melee builds more often than I probably should. Everyone should try a Steroids duo-hammer/shovel game if they get the chance :black101: Game is a lot harder since they rebalanced ammo! I've died indirectly due to low ammo more than once after I get to the ice world.

I don't know about you guys but Plutonium Hunger is still one of my favorite mutations. It basically guarantees you'll get almost 100% of the xp on any set level and being able to hoover up collectables from close-range is invaluable. Boiling Veins is good too, but that's just because of the way explosions can one-shot you at any point in the game.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Nobody but me is playing Necrodancer? I searched for a thread and this was the only thing that popped up.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

You are the only one.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Lots of us here have played it, quite a few by my count have also finished hardcore up till 3 as well.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Finished hardcore, working on repeating the feat with Aria. Necrodancer is one of the best games of 2014.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have a post from literally two pages ago celebrating the fact that I beat Hardcore mode.

Incidentally, you should think of the staircases that start you on Zone 2/3 as being like the shortcuts in Spelunky. In particular, the fact that you start the zone off with only your dagger and shovel makes them a lot harder than they would be if you'd progressed to them from a previous zone with upgraded equipment. Zone 3 in particular: being able to quickly kill pushers and elementals, and having the gear to kill gremlins without having to lure them into trying to attack you, greatly simplifies things.

Which, naturally, is why Aria and Melody restrict you to the dagger :v:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Well, I guess it's my fault I trusted SA Search.

I haven't messed with Aria because gently caress that. I need to try doing score runs with Cadence but mostly I've been hooked on doing bard speedrunning

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

we've reached peak roguelike goon in that someone doesn't know what doom is

pretty sure he's trolling...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

jackofarcades posted:

Well, I guess it's my fault I trusted SA Search.

I haven't messed with Aria because gently caress that. I need to try doing score runs with Cadence but mostly I've been hooked on doing bard speedrunning

Search hasn't indexed anything since may 1st, hopefully it is being fixed in today's maintenance.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I'm playing through ADOM right now and doing decently with this playthrough, but I am currently living in utter terror of my familiar.

I snagged a scroll of familiar summoning and used it on DH2, getting a Greater Earth Elemental. It seems like every single time it kills something it levels up and on my trip back through DH it killed an Ancient Karmic Dragon in one hit (a drat good thing considering I'm an elementalist). According to the look command it's reached the point where it can attack 5 times, doing up to 300 damage.

I just friggin know that at some point I'm going to accidentally hit it with a spell or set off a trap that will annoy my super-pet and turn it hostile and then it will utterly and completely destroy me.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

This makes Hoplite sound so fun: http://www.pentadact.com/2014-03-29-the-randomised-tactical-elegance-of-hoplite/

(sorry if this was posted already here)

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Bouchacha posted:

This makes Hoplite sound so fun: http://www.pentadact.com/2014-03-29-the-randomised-tactical-elegance-of-hoplite/

Well, hoplite is awesome so good article?

I'm currently beating my head against the wall trying to get the speedrun achievement.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

everyone play DoomRL, by the way. it's rad.

This is from a few days back but it bears repeating. Even if you played it :corsair: way back in the pre-tile days :corsair: and did everything there was to do, the newest version is loving spectacular and well worth starting fresh on. The tiles are crisp and evocative, the music is even sicker somehow, and there are new variant unique levels - the levels with guaranteed access to an Important Thing or some sort of continuity between them (like Hell's Arena -> Chained Court -> The Vaults) are static, but virtually everything else has a difficulty-equivalent but thematically and tactically distinct alternative that can spawn in its place.

For instance, most folks who played DoomRL extensively in the past will remember that legendary bastard deathtrap of a level, The Mortuary. It has a new version called Limbo, which replaces the Mortuary's giant arena full of Arch-Viles and a mountain of corpses with a lava sea dotted with islands, perilous bridges, Arch-Viles, and a somewhat smaller number of corpses - most of which are Revenants, Mancubi, and goddamn Nightmare enemies. It's an incredible shitstorm, every bit as tense as the original.

And, thanks to some good armour, plenty of consumables, a Plasmatic Double Shotgun, and a High-Powered Plasma Rifle with Ammochain, I loving beat it. Felt awesome as gently caress to scrap it out with the final boss in that sweet, sweet armour. :hellyeah: no full victory this time though, drat

vaguely related edit: For any players new to DoomRL, I'd recommend choosing Marine for your class at first. Technician and Scout have some amazing bonuses - Techs use consumables almost instantly and get monster ESP from computer maps, and Scouts run fast (more important than it sounds) and know where the stairs are (extremely important if you're not going for a 100% kill run) - but Marines are just flat-out tough as hell, have immediate access to one of the best general-purpose traits in the game (Badass), and have ludicrously strong master traits. Ammochain or Army of the Dead will completely tear 80% of your enemies to ribbons in no time flat, and they're fun as hell to boot.

I'd personally aim for Ammochain when you're starting out since a) it's just a hair short of being an infinite ammo cheat and b) vomiting 600 rounds per second while screaming nonstop is endlessly entertaining. Not having to worry about ammunition/inventory as much lets you focus more on learning some of the game's tactical vagaries, like how to properly dodge and use cover and which enemies Will Kill Your poo poo if you slug it out with them in the open, and you have room to experiment with other weapons in your prepared slot as well. A Double Shotgun is particularly good for shredding swarms of Lost Souls - fighting those on an Ammochain Marine can get really ugly if they catch you in the open.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 22, 2014

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Bouchacha posted:

Hoplite is great.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Invisible Inc. is incredible. It's progressed so much from the alpha days and is worth your early access dollars right the heck now. Better than Necrodancer.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

oriongates posted:

I'm playing through ADOM right now and doing decently with this playthrough, but I am currently living in utter terror of my familiar.

I snagged a scroll of familiar summoning and used it on DH2, getting a Greater Earth Elemental. It seems like every single time it kills something it levels up and on my trip back through DH it killed an Ancient Karmic Dragon in one hit (a drat good thing considering I'm an elementalist). According to the look command it's reached the point where it can attack 5 times, doing up to 300 damage.

I just friggin know that at some point I'm going to accidentally hit it with a spell or set off a trap that will annoy my super-pet and turn it hostile and then it will utterly and completely destroy me.

If it doesn't kill you it'll probably take credit for whichever ending you'll get and history will remember you as its familiar instead.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Kanfy posted:

If it doesn't kill you it'll probably take credit for whichever ending you'll get and history will remember you as its familiar instead.

this would be a hilarious addition to the high score list for pet users.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Sadly, it became completely irrelevant because I died a very, very stupid death indeed. Basically I forgot that I was a drakeling (I've been intrinsically invisible for the last 10 levels or so), slapped on the ancient mummy wrappings and went to explore the Ice Queen's domain, confident in my invincibility to cold and otherwise excellent stats. I forgot that basically all elementalist spells are worthless there but figured I'd bash up some ice statues before I left. I failed to notice my speed had dropped to 29 by the time I opened the door. I actually managed to make it all the way back to the edge of the map by praying every other turn or so as they whittled my hp down...but I couldn't escape with so many adjacent to me and every time I cleared a few away my speed meant four more took their place.

I'd even left my uber-elemental behind in the caverns of chaos because it wasn't cold-proofed.

*sigh*

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

oriongates posted:

Sadly, it became completely irrelevant because I died a very, very stupid death indeed. Basically I forgot that I was a drakeling (I've been intrinsically invisible for the last 10 levels or so), slapped on the ancient mummy wrappings and went to explore the Ice Queen's domain, confident in my invincibility to cold and otherwise excellent stats. I forgot that basically all elementalist spells are worthless there but figured I'd bash up some ice statues before I left. I failed to notice my speed had dropped to 29 by the time I opened the door. I actually managed to make it all the way back to the edge of the map by praying every other turn or so as they whittled my hp down...but I couldn't escape with so many adjacent to me and every time I cleared a few away my speed meant four more took their place.

I'd even left my uber-elemental behind in the caverns of chaos because it wasn't cold-proofed.

*sigh*

Aw, I never got that far, can you not light yourself on fire to warm up and regain speed there?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

S.T.C.A. posted:

Aw, I never got that far, can you not light yourself on fire to warm up and regain speed there?

You can, even casting fireball helps.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Unfortunately the ice queen's domain suppresses all fire magic, no fire spells function. Which I really should have considered before going, seeing as my repertoire consisted only of fire and ice magic.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:

oriongates posted:

Same thing happened to me, but I summoned it on D50 and it helped me win the game. :megadeath:

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

So this Ice Queen is one of the new features? Anyone have a list of the new stuff added since Biskup went kickstarter?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hito posted:

Invisible Inc. is incredible. It's progressed so much from the alpha days and is worth your early access dollars right the heck now. Better than Necrodancer.

The Steam thread didn't think it was worth cash yet, but the aesthetic looks rad as hell, not to mention the gameplay.

I'll probably buy it after hemming and hawing for a couple days, knowing me. :unsmith:

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Ciaphas posted:

The Steam thread didn't think it was worth cash yet, but the aesthetic looks rad as hell, not to mention the gameplay.

I'll probably buy it after hemming and hawing for a couple days, knowing me. :unsmith:

There are a few annoying glitches (mostly UI/information communication, a few gameplay ones), but they're quite minor and the full play experience is already there.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Same thing happened to me, but I summoned it on D50 and it helped me win the game. :megadeath:

Another fun way to do this is to save it until you're super high level and summon it in the small mountain cave (or w/e it is, the one that scales to double your level). I've gotten some truly insane stuff out of that.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Social Animal posted:

So this Ice Queen is one of the new features? Anyone have a list of the new stuff added since Biskup went kickstarter?

Two new classes (Chaos Knight and Duelist)
Two new races (Mist Elf and Ratling)
Player-submitted statues with associated effects
Player-submitted boss monsters with associated effects
A bunch of new quests (Mostly not even started yet)
A bunch of new dungeons
A small number of new artifacts and items
Graphics, sound and music
A large amount of bugfixing and rebalancing

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone played Hand of Fate?
It's not a roguelike per-se but it's a very interesting game that uses plenty of roguelike-like mechanics.

You have to descent a randomized dungeon constructed out of encounter cards from your deck and Dealers (who you play against) deck and at the bottom you get to fight a boss. Every encounter is either a combat arena, where you fight in real time, or an FTL-style multiple-options event.
It's got a great deal of replayability, since the dungeon is always randomized, and I love the real-time combat as well.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

Two new classes (Chaos Knight and Duelist)
Two new races (Mist Elf and Ratling)
Player-submitted statues with associated effects
Player-submitted boss monsters with associated effects
A bunch of new quests (Mostly not even started yet)
A bunch of new dungeons
A small number of new artifacts and items
Graphics, sound and music
A large amount of bugfixing and rebalancing

Are spears the best weapon in the game still?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Jack Trades posted:

Has anyone played Hand of Fate?
It's not a roguelike per-se but it's a very interesting game that uses plenty of roguelike-like mechanics.

You have to descent a randomized dungeon constructed out of encounter cards from your deck and Dealers (who you play against) deck and at the bottom you get to fight a boss. Every encounter is either a combat arena, where you fight in real time, or an FTL-style multiple-options event.
It's got a great deal of replayability, since the dungeon is always randomized, and I love the real-time combat as well.

I haven't played it, but I thank you for bringing it to my attention. Becoming aware of these weird little offshoots of roguelikes is my favorite part of this thread.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Social Animal posted:

Are spears the best weapon in the game still?

Looking at the numbers I want to say yes. Unless some pretty amazing new reliable weapons got added that I don't know about. I've only been playing duelists so I don't know if they have a penalty to leveling missile weapons, but if it's not a duelist thing it seems like they got nerfed as I don't feel like I can just destroy anything with them if necessary.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Duelists take like 2.4 times as long to gain marks with polearms/shields/etc, and ten times as long to gain marks with missile weapons.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

rougelike thread posted:

adom

did the Candle starsign get nerfed? It seems like it's not as effective as it used to be.

Dwarf healers born in candle are still my favorite combo, but it seems like they don't heal as fast (earlygame) as they used to.

Stephen Smith
Nov 8, 2004

«The Grimace Reaper»
Hand of Fate is awesome and it's currently in the Humble Weekly Bundle for $15. I just picked it up and I've been thoroughly enjoying it. I'm really bad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Edwhirl posted:

did the Candle starsign get nerfed? It seems like it's not as effective as it used to be.

Dwarf healers born in candle are still my favorite combo, but it seems like they don't heal as fast (earlygame) as they used to.

I believe Candle was tweaked yes, since it used to be better than having a Healing skill of 100, just on its own.