Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Xenonauts has way to much combat. I don't know if it's the pacing or what but the game can feel really tiring to play. Skirmishes can drag on for quite a while (maps are huge in comparison to XCOM) and then they get piled upon each other as most UFOs come in waves. I would just airstrike them off but midgame you really need the extra money a successful skirmish brings. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Yes and yes. I don't understand why anyone would say no to this, assuming that the robo-arms are superior to normal arms. In Human Revolution there's the issue of being dependent on that drug, and that would certainly be something that could make the robo-arms inferior to regular arms, but if you're like Adam and don't need it? Robo-everything. Give yourself super powers. What's the down side?

Crushing kitten skulls when you try to pet them?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

m.hache posted:

My kittens are augmented.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Personally I would like my inferior human limbs to be attached to a robot so's to spite it

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

m.hache posted:

Well, we're talking about Human Revolution style robot limbs, and no one in that world seems to have that problem. Pretty sure they can handle delicate things just fine. :shrug:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Tiggum posted:

Well, we're talking about Human Revolution style robot limbs, and no one in that world seems to have that problem. Pretty sure they can handle delicate things just fine. :shrug:
Jensen is practicing watchmaking in his apartment.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ball Cupper posted:

Consider this: transhumanists are nerds with too much free time on their hands.

Man I was just playing Dark Souls 2 and I really hate the pvp aspects of it. It really drags the game down. Just got owned by some guy called "Level 1 Player" or some poo poo, and he was overpowered and everything. I don't want to deal with those whip-weilding motherfuckers, trouser-wearing bellends, just wanna kill some hollows and chill in the forest. That's what's dragging down Dark Souls 2 - a core concept of the game. Aside from that, GOTY, etc.

Have you tried putting it in Offline Mode? You can't summon other people, leave or read message or see bloodstains but you'll stop getting invaded.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Have you tried putting it in Offline Mode? You can't summon other people, leave or read message or see bloodstains but you'll stop getting invaded.
Not by NPC invaders :D. Actually, Dark Souls 2 has some neat things that are only accessible offline. For example, there is one guy (not an invader, a red phantom) who only spawns in offline mode and he's the only source of the armor and weapon he wears.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Simply Simon posted:

Not by NPC invaders :D. Actually, Dark Souls 2 has some neat things that are only accessible offline. For example, there is one guy (not an invader, a red phantom) who only spawns in offline mode and he's the only source of the armor and weapon he wears.

Which guy's this? I haven't heard of him.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Tiggum posted:

You see Jensen struggle to avoid breaking drinking glasses in some of the promo videos and the game explicitly has him building clocks in order to learn fine motor control.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Which guy's this? I haven't heard of him.
In Belfry Sol, only in offline mode, there is an around 16% chance for a red phantom in an awesome Predator mask to spawn. He drops the Berserker set and Katana. On a bus ride, I've farmed him for shits and giggles; you can rest at the bonfire to make him spawn if he isn't, and you can actually check for CPU use of Dark Souls 2 to see if he spawned - it goes up noticeably (in the last digits, of course) when the game loads in his model. You know, just if you want to try it. Though the mask is pretty kickass!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I can't pause Dark Souls. Look I know it's an effect you're going for but my dog needs to take a poo poo right now and telling her there's guys with spears jabbing me is not going to be much relief. Oh whoops sorry whoever's calling me on the phone, but I can never feel truly safe, which apparently means I must sever all connections with other lifeforms.

Is there a way to simulate pausing? You can still be a hard RPG even if I can interrupt a fight to take a leak.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I can't pause Dark Souls. Look I know it's an effect you're going for but my dog needs to take a poo poo right now and telling her there's guys with spears jabbing me is not going to be much relief. Oh whoops sorry whoever's calling me on the phone, but I can never feel truly safe, which apparently means I must sever all connections with other lifeforms.

Is there a way to simulate pausing? You can still be a hard RPG even if I can interrupt a fight to take a leak.

Quit to the title screen. The game will resume exactly where you left off, unless you were fighting a boss, in which case, you'll be dumped outside the boss room and have to redo the fight. This won't work if you're currently in a multiplayer session though so if someone wants to invade you, you're poo poo out of luck til one of you gets killed or their connection attempt fails.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mikl posted:

For the player maybe, but there are really deep discussions going around in real life with the whole concept of transhumanism.

Consider these questions:

- Would you get a robo-arm if you had lost your actual arm?

- Would you cut off your arm to get a robo-arm?

Pretty big difference, even if there are no downsides to augs.

If I lost my actual arm sure, if I hadn't than hell no because I imagine my girlfriend would be incredibly disappointed.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Simply Simon posted:

In Belfry Sol, only in offline mode, there is an around 16% chance for a red phantom in an awesome Predator mask to spawn. He drops the Berserker set and Katana. On a bus ride, I've farmed him for shits and giggles; you can rest at the bonfire to make him spawn if he isn't, and you can actually check for CPU use of Dark Souls 2 to see if he spawned - it goes up noticeably (in the last digits, of course) when the game loads in his model. You know, just if you want to try it. Though the mask is pretty kickass!

Killing him also gives you points for the Bellkeeper covenant.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Iron Rose posted:

If I lost my actual arm sure, if I hadn't than hell no because I imagine my girlfriend would be incredibly disappointed.

Not to mention that most people aren't going to get the super augmentations of private mercenaries. The typical augmented thug you meet in that game is indistinguishable from an unmodified human. If being augmented only really means basically the same level of capable but made of metal, I'm not really keen to part with my bits and bobs.

The Moon Monster posted:

Killing him also gives you points for the Bellkeeper covenant.

Which is good because I have absolutely poo poo luck/skill with PvP in that game.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Lotish posted:

If being augmented only really means basically the same level of capable but made of metal, I'm not really keen to part with my bits and bobs.

Being immune to infection, cancer and all other diseases, and even things like muscle cramps would be pretty sweet, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Simply Simon posted:

Oh you mean the Mad Warrior. No, that guy just has a percent chance to show up whenever there. It's very low, though. Also for some reason as a bellkeeper phantom you can occasionally get pieces of his armor. I got the chestplate as an invader despite never seeing him.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Byzantine posted:

Being immune to infection, cancer and all other diseases, and even things like muscle cramps would be pretty sweet, though.

Yeah, instead you get malware on your arm.

"Would you like to install Ask Jeeves onto your arm?"

"No Damnit, just pet this kitten without crushing it"

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
There's still a massive stigma attached to such things which lasts into Deus Ex 1.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I think it'd have done some good to show a little more of the downside of augs instead of just making people look like luddites for opposing them. I mean there's some reasons but they're hidden.

Walton Simons posted:

There's still a massive stigma attached to such things which lasts into Deus Ex 1.

:raise:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I've been playing my old PS2 games for the first time in years and while most of them have been holding up pretty well, they've certainly got flaws.

Spongebob Squarepants Movie: This can be really frustrating for a kids game.

King Kong: Hearing Adrian Brody's heavy breathing every time you move gets irritating fast, there aren't enough parts where you play as Kong and the game is pretty short.

Monster Hunter: Now I get why the critics didn't like this at first. I love the newer Monster Hunter games but it had a ways to go back in 2004. The controls are godawful (right analog stick to use your weapon), there's no lock-on camera, there's no free-hunt mode or farm, the smaller monsters scattered around the maps are insanely annoying, the Monster AI and hitboxes are pretty bad, the egg carrying quests are the worst, it's too hard and I can't even charge my great sword.

Turok Evolution: Holy poo poo, this game sucks. I liked it because it was the first M-rated game I ever played and 8 year old me was obsessed with dinosaurs but it is just so bad. It feels like it got released halfway through development, the graphics are horrible even for 2002 (the big dinosaurs don't even have eyes), more dinosaurs instead of lizardmen would have been cool, I only played it with cheats because it was so hard, the flying levels are terribly designed, the story makes no sense and the voice acting is crappy. The soundtrack is pretty cool though.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Celery Face posted:

Turok Evolution: Holy poo poo, this game sucks. I liked it because it was the first M-rated game I ever played and 8 year old me was obsessed with dinosaurs but it is just so bad. It feels like it got released halfway through development, the graphics are horrible even for 2002 (the big dinosaurs don't even have eyes), more dinosaurs instead of lizardmen would have been cool, I only played it with cheats because it was so hard, the flying levels are terribly designed, the story makes no sense and the voice acting is crappy. The soundtrack is pretty cool though.

I remember Turok 64 having fog of war so bad you couldn't see further than 10 ft. It was horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyfIdDERnqU&t=296s

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Anatharon posted:

I think it'd have done some good to show a little more of the downside of augs instead of just making people look like luddites for opposing them. I mean there's some reasons but they're hidden.

:raise:

Gunther and Navvare are looked at suspiciously and with terror because they are inhuman looking monstrosities from Jensen's time period.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I think Deus Ex and stuff like X-men want the opposing viewpoint to see augments/mutants/etc. as no longer human, but completely fail to convey what it means to be human.

Would you accept robotic arms if it meant you could never feel someone else's skin forever? That every time you touched a loved one they would just feel cold metal?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Futurism is the scientific and moral equivalent of filling a ledger with made-up stats for a fictional baseball team and then considering yourself a baseball player. It's also about as interesting.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Futurism is the scientific and moral equivalent of filling a ledger with made-up stats for a fictional baseball team and then considering yourself a baseball player. It's also about as interesting.

What are you going on about?

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~

Rick_Hunter posted:

What are you going on about?

The whole conversation about "would you get augmented arms" or "a cranium implant might be good" or "if I get a metal cock finally I will be important and touch a woman" is dull, repetitive, and lowest-common-denominator bullshit that nerds lap up.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

MrJacobs posted:

Gunther and Navvare are looked at suspiciously and with terror because they are inhuman looking monstrosities from Jensen's time period.

Look carefully at the name of the poster he's quoting

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Suitaru posted:

Look carefully at the name of the poster he's quoting

Oh. :ohdear:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I find annoying about DE:HR is just how long the game takes to reveal that Megan is still alive when it's super obvious from early on that she didn't die.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

muscles like this? posted:

One thing I find annoying about DE:HR is just how long the game takes to reveal that Megan is still alive when it's super obvious from early on that she didn't die.

A lot of games have a problem with playing coy about their plot twists when they're really obvious hours in advance.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

kazil posted:

Would you accept robotic arms if it meant you could never feel someone else's skin forever? That every time you touched a loved one they would just feel cold metal?

As a massive nerdgoon, I will already never touch anyone else's skin, so there's no downside.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Basically why ive never dark souls'd

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

kazil posted:

I'm pretty sure the higher-end augs had tactile feedback.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Personally, while I might not just chop off a whole arm and replace it, you can bet I would bionic the gently caress out of my bones and joints. If it meant I'd never have scoliosis issues or knee problems again, sign me up.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
Think of how lovely augs would make sports, though.

Would they allow augs in sports? That would just make them a pay-to-win game where the most well-funded teams have a massive advantage, and the players will start to look more like specialized race cars than people.

Or would they just ban augs from sports? That would make it so any rear end in a top hat with a newish leg model could outrun an olympic gold medalist and outjump an NBA superstar. Sports get a lot less impressive when your next door neighbor is stronger than the players.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Would they allow augs in sports? That would just make them a pay-to-win game where the most well-funded teams have a massive advantage, and the players will start to look more like specialized race cars than people.

Or would they just ban augs from sports? That would make it so any rear end in a top hat with a newish leg model could outrun an olympic gold medalist and outjump an NBA superstar. Sports get a lot less impressive when your next door neighbor is stronger than the players.

Its almost like this was kind of a concern in the last Summer Olympics and its why thinking about human augmentation is increasingly not

quote:

dull, repetitive, and lowest-common-denominator bullshit that nerds lap up.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ScratchAndSniff posted:

It would be really lovely to ban, say, a 16 year old kid from playing on the JV basketball team just because he has a leg aug to cure a birth defect. But you're right, we can't just allow people with any sort of augmentation to play certain sports. There's no challenge to dunking if you just use your rocket-legs to blast off from half court.

I'd say that augmentations would be allowed but their performance capabilities would be very tightly regulated and watched so as to keep them firmly in the bounds of human capability. In fact wouldn't be inconceivable to have a market specifically for sports-grade augmentations. And with physical capabilities locked down then experience, talent, and skill would become more valuable, rather than relying on someone being some sort of generic freak to get your big break into the sports world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Who What Now posted:

It would be really lovely to ban, say, a 16 year old kid from playing on the JV basketball team just because he has a leg aug to cure a birth defect. But you're right, we can't just allow people with any sort of augmentation to play certain sports. There's no challenge to dunking if you just use your rocket-legs to blast off from half court.

I'd say that augmentations would be allowed but their performance capabilities would be very tightly regulated and watched so as to keep them firmly in the bounds of human capability. In fact wouldn't be inconceivable to have a market specifically for sports-grade augmentations. And with physical capabilities locked down then experience, talent, and skill would become more valuable, rather than relying on someone being some sort of generic freak to get your big break into the sports world.

Very true, but couldn't one argue that the standardization would force augs and funding just as much as the limitless scenarios? Those below standard would still be in a rush to get the best augs and reach the highest potential level. And if I was physically gifted beyond the standardized point, I certainly wouldn't be happy having to "downgrade" myself. It'd be the exact same problem, just in a more grounded way than rocket tag basketball.