Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I started the Old World Blues DLC for Fallout: New Vegas today and the conversations with the Think Tank so far have been amazing. My favorite little thing is that I had the ability to ask for more caps (Fallout's currency) 4 times in a row, each with a consequent higher requirement of the Barter skill (which I had maxed out). They don't get infuriated by this either, because you apparently respond with "perfect reasoning" whenever you succeed the skill check.

Afterwards you can walk up to the guy who was responsible for the caps and ask him for some and he will hand them out no questions asked (the amount is smaller though).

...but I've had no urgent need for caps in a long while. Heck, I've still got the loot from the Dead Money DLC sitting in a closet alongside a couple dozen Raider Armors. It's the thought that counts really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I saw a dota 2 video the other day that featured an element of the game that's insanely rare but hilarious in context. If you charm/dominate an enemy ranged unit while its projectile is in midair, the team ownership of the attack changes - thus if you're about to die to something owned by your opponent, you have the ridiculously quick-reflexed option to make the damage come from yourself, functionally committing suicide and cheating your enemy out of a kill.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Nth Doctor posted:

God, I am a dumb.

Now to find the disks and manual from 20 years ago...

Good luck.

I have the CD version, and I've never gotten it to work perfectly inside DOSBox. The biggest problem I have is getting mouse and joystick support. There is frequent "drifting" of your ship and the cursor. I can eventually get it to go away for a while, then it comes back.

But maybe you'll have better luck than me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Last of Us has almost an endless little things and almost all of them includes Ellie. So far my favorite things about her is how she tries to whistle, how she hums her own little dramatic theme music as she walks across the wasteland and the moment when she's honest to god delighted about seeing real fireflies before remembering she's supposed to be in a grim and gritty game.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Alhazred posted:

The Last of Us has almost an endless little things and almost all of them includes Ellie. So far my favorite things about her is how she tries to whistle, how she hums her own little dramatic theme music as she walks across the wasteland and the moment when she's honest to god delighted about seeing real fireflies before remembering she's supposed to be in a grim and gritty game.

One of my favorite things in the game is when you're at the dam and you have to raise these gates to cross over the dam. You get the first one and then she gets the second one and when you cross over she holds her hand up for a high five. Press triangle, you high five, and she goes 'yeah, teamwork!' in such a satisfied voice.

It's so :3:

SmashiusClay
Oct 26, 2008

something at your own discretion

Alhazred posted:

I've just played through the sequence where, if you stand around too long in certain spots, she will get bored and pull out a joke book. Hearing Joel groan at her terrible puns is a lovely bit of characterisation.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SmashiusClay posted:

I've just played through the sequence where, if you stand around too long in certain spots, she will get bored and pull out a joke book. Hearing Joel groan at her terrible puns is a lovely bit of characterisation.

It really is the details that make the game. Like the times you encounter an old coffee shop or machine and Joel laments that they don't have coffee anymore.

Or the bit later (no plot spoilers) Where you find the old ice cream truck and the very idea of it is completely foreign to Ellie after Joel explains what it is.

SmashiusClay
Oct 26, 2008

something at your own discretion

Mokinokaro posted:

It really is the details that make the game. Like the times you encounter an old coffee shop or machine and Joel laments that they don't have coffee anymore.

Or the bit later (no plot spoilers) Where you find the old ice cream truck and the very idea of it is completely foreign to Ellie after Joel explains what it is.

or how one of Ellie's jokes is about sushi and she admits that she doesn't get it, of course she doesn't, she was born six years after a zombie apocalypse, she's never even heard of sushi.

The detail and depth of the world really sells it as a real place. it would have been far too easy to make a generic zombie game, but the care and attention to characters and environment make it much more satisfying than just "go here, shoot these people".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Or how stray dogs are now terrified of humans.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Giraffe scene in Last Of Us was genuinely heartwarming.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, but TIE Fighter did have that sick-rear end arm tattoo that got more and more grandiose each time you ranked up in the Emperor's Circle, or whatever it was called.

Serve the emperor above all others! *zap*

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

My favorite thing about Last of Us is how the game would echo my own reactions. There was one part where I found a music store, and just as I realized "all this music will never be heard again..", Ellie spoke up with the same sentiment.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Leper Residue posted:

One of my favorite things in the game is when you're at the dam and you have to raise these gates to cross over the dam. You get the first one and then she gets the second one and when you cross over she holds her hand up for a high five. Press triangle, you high five, and she goes 'yeah, teamwork!' in such a satisfied voice.

It's so :3:

This makes me want a modern game based on Terminator 2 so bad.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

SmashiusClay posted:

In the DLC has Ellie getting the (second) joke book, the facial animation and voice acting are perfect, Ellie looks SO loving excited to get another pun book.

And then you can share like 20 puns one after the other while heartwarming music plays as the girls share laughs.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Byzantine posted:

My favorite thing about Last of Us is how the game would echo my own reactions. There was one part where I found a music store, and just as I realized "all this music will never be heard again..", Ellie spoke up with the same sentiment.

One of the first times this happened for me was when I brutally killed someone and Ellie lets out a "HOLY poo poo JOEL!"

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Spalec posted:

In the DLC has Ellie getting the (second) joke book, the facial animation and voice acting are perfect, Ellie looks SO loving excited to get another pun book.

And then you can share like 20 puns one after the other while heartwarming music plays as the girls share laughs.

The VA's reactions to those puns feels so genuine it's like they heard them for the first time and ad-libbed their responses.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
In The Walking Dead Season 2, on Carver's desk in his office, there's a mug that says WORLD'S BEST BOSS.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, but TIE Fighter did have that sick-rear end arm tattoo that got more and more grandiose each time you ranked up in the Emperor's Circle, or whatever it was called.

It was the Secret Order of the Emperor. Ironic that members of a "Secret Order" loudly advertised their identity with enormous arm tattoos. The view of the tattoo could have easily been incorporated into a view of a uniform, but whatever.

Nth Doctor posted:

Every so often I go looking to see if LucasArts/Disney/Whoever owns it now has released Tie Fighter in a format that could run on modern hardware. So far, I've been disappointed. Has anyone else had better luck?

In addition to DOSBox, there's also the X-Wing Collector Series, which put the first two games into the XvT engine. However, it was pretty rare and expensive the last time I checked, and all the original music, as well as the whole dynamic music system, was removed in favor of the John Williams score.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've been playing The Sims 3 and have a Sim who hates being around people, hates going outside, and just wants to play video games all day. My other Sim threw a party. The first Sim didn't talk to anyone, just sat down in the middle of the room and read a book until they went away. :roflolmao:

I also like how the "evil" character trait modifies a whole bunch of options, like letting you take an evil bath or or wash your hands with evil soap.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Praetorian Mage posted:

It was the Secret Order of the Emperor. Ironic that members of a "Secret Order" loudly advertised their identity with enormous arm tattoos. The view of the tattoo could have easily been incorporated into a view of a uniform, but whatever.

The secret order demands that its members show their devotion by wearing long sleeves at all times.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mierenneuker posted:

I started the Old World Blues DLC for Fallout: New Vegas today and the conversations with the Think Tank so far have been amazing. My favorite little thing is that I had the ability to ask for more caps (Fallout's currency) 4 times in a row, each with a consequent higher requirement of the Barter skill (which I had maxed out). They don't get infuriated by this either, because you apparently respond with "perfect reasoning" whenever you succeed the skill check.

Afterwards you can walk up to the guy who was responsible for the caps and ask him for some and he will hand them out no questions asked (the amount is smaller though).

...but I've had no urgent need for caps in a long while. Heck, I've still got the loot from the Dead Money DLC sitting in a closet alongside a couple dozen Raider Armors. It's the thought that counts really.
If you talk to Doctor 0 he'll give you something he "invented" which turns out to be a few pieces of Scrap Electronics, because all he's good for is breaking poo poo. Also be sure to check out the picture of Mr House in his kitchen :allears:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Another Human Revolution find. The baddies hire hackers to destroy and sabotage other biotech companies. When you enter the bad guys HQ one of their hacker's PC identifies him as Kevin Mitnick. An infamous real life hacker.

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

Praetorian Mage posted:

To be fair you were a TIE pilot. You were probably a part of the order just by having lived longer than one mission.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

NuminaXLT posted:

To be fair you were a TIE pilot. You were probably a part of the order just by having lived longer than one mission.

Actually, even the basic TIE fighter had an ejector seat in that game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In Ice Pick Lodge's The Void, you spend the game gathering scraps of Color, the primary resource of the game and of which there is barely any. The entire game revolves around clinging to whatever meager amounts of the stuff it gives you. It is a tedious and unforgiving slog of a game (intentionally). In Ice Pick Lodge's next game, Cargo!, the demigods of the island you're on determine Color to be lovely and obsolete in the face of their new resource, Fun, and dumps several thousand gallons of Color into the ocean for the rest of the game. :v:

In their first game, Pathologic, they released a walkthrough of the game you can follow step by step to win. However if you follow it word for word, at a certain point by the end of the game the developers show up and make fun of you for not exploring or taking risks or doing anything your own way and suggests you try that next time because it might be more interesting.

Ice Pick Lodge rules.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

I love how much attention to detail Capcom paid when it came to acquiring voice actors for their many Versus games. For example, in the '90s versus games, Capcom got most of the voice actors from the X-Men animated series to reprise their roles as their respective characters. For Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, while they didn't get the '90s X-Men voice actors again, they did try to get VAs who had already portrayed the characters in the past, lending a nice feel of continuity to these awesomely silly versus games.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

I love how much attention to detail Capcom paid when it came to acquiring voice actors for their many Versus games. For example, in the '90s versus games, Capcom got most of the voice actors from the X-Men animated series to reprise their roles as their respective characters. For Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, while they didn't get the '90s X-Men voice actors again, they did try to get VAs who had already portrayed the characters in the past, lending a nice feel of continuity to these awesomely silly versus games.

They went and got Ghost Rider's VA from his past Marvel cartoons, of which there were a grand total of two appearances according to Wikipedia. That's some deep cuts.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

They went and got Ghost Rider's VA from his past Marvel cartoons, of which there were a grand total of two appearances according to Wikipedia. That's some deep cuts.

Hot drat! :allears: That guy was really awesome as Ghost Rider, so I can understand why they'd bring him back.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Hot drat! :allears: That guy was really awesome as Ghost Rider, so I can understand why they'd bring him back.

That guy is Richard fuckin' Grieco.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

In Far Cry 3, every section of the map has several enemy outposts and a radio tower you can climb. My favorite little thing in that game is when you can see an outpost from the top of the radio tower. You can usually pull out a sniper rifle and win yourself a stealth bonus right from the tower. There's a couple where the game's draw distance won't let you see the enemies even through the scope, but you can pull out your trusty rocket launcher and start raining hellfire from above. I managed to blindly clear an entire outpost using that method.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

J-Spot posted:

In Far Cry 3, every section of the map has several enemy outposts and a radio tower you can climb. My favorite little thing in that game is when you can see an outpost from the top of the radio tower. You can usually pull out a sniper rifle and win yourself a stealth bonus right from the tower. There's a couple where the game's draw distance won't let you see the enemies even through the scope, but you can pull out your trusty rocket launcher and start raining hellfire from above. I managed to blindly clear an entire outpost using that method.

God, I'm playing this now and Far Cry 3 has some fantastic little things. Yesterday, I did a delivery mission with a quad and managed to hit the final checkpoint with my bike on fire from tumbling down a mountain sideways. The NPC I was delivering to just said: "Well, that was quick."
Made even better when I climb a building next to him, turn around, and see that just a minute after my delivery of what I'm guessing are medical supplies he gets eaten by two wild Komodo dragons. They just climbed out of the water behind him and killed him in one bite. The only thing I could think of was: "Well, that was quick!"
And don't even get me started on the hunting assignments. "These dogs have gotten rabies, kill them with a rocketlauncher!" just made me laugh way too loud.

Also, I love that (spoilers for a small but cool easteregg) there are letters from Japanese soldiers that indicate there used to be an Abstergo outpost on the island. Really, Far Cry 3 taking place in the Assassin's Creed-universe just makes way to much sense to me. Why are there weird mystical powers all around you? Well, I guess there's a Piece of Eden hidden somewhere that has a strange influence on the area. Also, it would make waaaaaay to much sense if Jason is a descendant of the Assassins: he takes naturally to stabbing people in sneaky manners from high or low places, constantly has to climb high places to get a way to detailed overview of his surroundings, and even has Eagle Vision!

And talking about Assassin's Creed and an interconnected Ubisoft-universe, I also love that in the first Assassin's Creed there is an e-mail that talks about a Piece of Eden found in the Middle-East which has the power to manipulate time, but that they are halting further experimentation with it because they are afraid of causing temporal paradoxes. I guess they just failed to realise that most people think time is like a river, that flows shift and sure in one direction. If they'd seen the face of time, they would know that they are wrong: time is like an ocean in a storm... Guess we finally know where that Dagger of Time ended up!

A Worrying Warlock has a new favorite as of 00:41 on Aug 23, 2014

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I never saw that one, the letter thing was a good idea. They made one of your side missions from Watch_Dogs was killing a guy from Abstergo, but it didn't sit well with me. They pushed it in my face so much that I think it would have been easier just to have a big banner come across the screen that said "WE ALSO MADE ASSASSINS CREED" and be done with it.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Its not really a little thing, but Infinite Space, a space operatic RPG made in part by Platinum, the same dudes who did Revengence, Bayonetta and other crazy games, features a full codex that gives a description to every single ship, fighter and person that you encounter in the game. Considering theres like 100 playable ships and 100 characters o so can join your crew on a single playthrough thats a fair amount of detail.

While some of those codex entries are hillariously off (Greater Space Poirtugal's only battleship is undergunned? Its got three large guns, all other ships have only up to two!) or others ridiculously brief (the yellow variant of this ship is a version used by regional forces) it gives you a lot of detail on ships that you would normally never even touch that adds depth to the universe and explains why some of these things even exist.

For instance, you get your first battleship blueprints from a military dude rather than buying them, and it turns out those blueprints aren't availible to the general public. Those weak as poo poo pirates you blast by the dozen for cash in act 2? They're using their craft's ridiculous speed to board merchant ships. Those ships that have ridiculously outdated, underpowered 'super long range' lasers? They actually are part of an artillery fleet. Why is the President of Space Mexico's ship so undergunned (1 fuckoff gun compared to the 4 that most of the faction's ships sport)? Its actually set up for ground invasions rather than space fights (though its got reinforced fuckoffium armour so its not bad at it either).

Oh, and every single nation in the game has ships with a different stat focus and level of customizability. Gives em some depth. Space Italy has unimpressive stats on awesome looking, very customizable ships, mostly a large, large variety of Battleships and Cruisers, with their battleships providing their only fighter capacity, while the i-Borg have very few (4 off the top of my head) very unique looking ships with high stats but gently caress all crew and nearly no room to customize their ships.

Space America's ships just look Fugly though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I never saw that one, the letter thing was a good idea. They made one of your side missions from Watch_Dogs was killing a guy from Abstergo, but it didn't sit well with me. They pushed it in my face so much that I think it would have been easier just to have a big banner come across the screen that said "WE ALSO MADE ASSASSINS CREED" and be done with it.

That mission is actually a tie in to AC4 (which would have made more sense if Watch Dogs came out when it was supposed to) as that guy is a character in AC4 who disappears after going to a meeting in Chicago.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ashsaber posted:

Its not really a little thing, but Infinite Space, a space operatic RPG made in part by Platinum, the same dudes who did Revengence, Bayonetta and other crazy games, features a full codex that gives a description to every single ship, fighter and person that you encounter in the game. Considering theres like 100 playable ships and 100 characters o so can join your crew on a single playthrough thats a fair amount of detail.

I really want to find a copy of this, but my choices seem to be eBaying used copies (and I don't know how well DS cartridges do over time) or paying over 100$ for a sealed copy. I wish Nintendo would put more DS stuff on the eshop.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Deus Ex: Human Revolution the main character (barely) survives an attack at the very beginning of the game. A couple of hours later you get to go to his apartment and find out that one of his coping mechanisms was to hide guns all over the place.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
In Condemned 2 your character is a former cop who has become a homeless alcoholic due to the events of the first game. It's a first person game, so you hardly ever see his character model, but they do a pretty good job making him look filthy and disgusting, as well as sick as all hell (he gets the DT's in game regularly, he's pretty hosed up). Even though I am pretty sure you only ever see it once for a brief second, my favorite little detail of how little fucks he gives about himself and his life is that the tag is sticking up out of the neck of his t-shirt.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Condemned deserves a better sequel. The first game was just so goddamn good but I do t think it got nearly enough attention.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Basically every part of Condemned 2 until the ski lodge final fight (aka the part when guns and weird powers started showing up regularly) ruled so goddamn hard. Pity about the rest of the game.

The Museum sequence and the bear chase were just about perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

In Deus Ex: Human Revolution the main character (barely) survives an attack at the very beginning of the game. A couple of hours later you get to go to his apartment and find out that one of his coping mechanisms was to hide guns all over the place.

His apartment is full of some great little details. Like the kitchen counter full of clock parts (he's been building clocks to get used to fine motion with his robotic hands.)