Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Even though "Goku" has become a catchphrase on here, like many of SA's in-jokes, I don't get the joke. Is it merely a pop culture reference that is a joke because it is, in fact, not a joke.

But here is something you might not know: Son Goku is the Japanese pronunciation of "Sun Wukong", which means "Ape Awakening to the Void". He was a character in the great Chinese picaresque novel "Journey to the West", where, with a monkey's bad habits, he steals the peaches of immortality in heaven, and is then punished by the Buddha by being put under a mountain for 500 years! Only when a monk on a religious pilgrimage rescues him does he gain his freedom and begin to learn the ways of Buddhism. His name refers to the believe that he will "Awaken" (gain enlightment) about "The Void". The character for "The Void" is rather tricky, since it can mean many things, and indeed, to explain it, I myself would have to "Awaken to the Void".

In a later Chinese novel, "Dream of the Red Mansions", this short description is given, making reference to the well-known character of "Journey to the West"

"Out of void, which is truth, comes form, which is illusion. Form engenders passion. Through passion, people come to an understanding of form, and from form, they awaken to the void".

I think that it is not a coincidence that SA has chosen the idea of Sun Wukong, even indirectly, as a meme. SA is often carried away with form and passion, especially with its recent obsession with being "gay" and "cucking". I think that the use of the image of Goku is, on some subliminal level, a way that people wish to escape the trap of "form and passion" and instead, "Awaken to the Void".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
there's no joke, goku is just great

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Talk about Gokus mad pubes.

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Goku rules, he's cool

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
wasnt sun wukong invincible to or some shoit

Shions of Qud

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
i'm goku

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wrong

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
^The gently caress are those things?

He defeated the Red Ribbon Army

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

verbal enema posted:

wasnt sun wukong invincible to or some shoit

Pretty much, except to the power of the Buddha. The point being that an entity could be invincible within the realms of causality, but they are still subject to causality itself. Only by "Awakening to the Void", to the non-existence of causal phenomena, could Monkey transcend his own invincibility.

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

adam devine is a goon??

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Would.

(If I was gay, which I am not).

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i'm the blonde tuft of hair on the bladder master

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

I'm going to assume those are just huge moobs instead of his arms tucked inside.
I take more enjoyment from the image of it being a very fat double amputee.
The pain he must endure trying to get to the tiny chip bits at the bottom of the bag...

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

just hanging in the woods wearing my khakis

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
No joke -- I have two Sun Wukong's in my puzzle and dragon account

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
I watched this religiously as a kid

Monkey Magic

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
he got talked into an arranged marriage as a child.

bof_man
Mar 23, 2006
Value Pack
Watch and be Awakened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkeOpTPeAtk

"The Void" is the background.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:goku::goku::goku::goku::goku::goku::goku::goku::goku::goku::goku::goku:

Any further questions?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
:goku:

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
best goku thread yet

i mean it still sucks but its better than the others

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

Goku gay, so what. Goku I'm gay. Gayku cuck me with your spirit bomb

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Goku is a deadbeat dad and a lot of sa posters grew up without a father, match made in heaven

Vegeta crew fukk yall

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

pictured: goku

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Goku!

Gokuuuuu!

Valgeta
Aug 21, 2014

by Ralp

the culminator posted:

Vegeta crew fukk yall

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

glowing-fish posted:

I think that the use of the image of Goku is, on some subliminal level, a way that people wish to escape the trap of "form and passion" and instead, "Awaken to the Void".

I want you to awaken to my void, OP. Just straight up regaining consciousness when your alarm goes off and your eyes flutter open to reveal a gaping man pocket half an inch from the bridge of your nose, winking the knowing hello of an old friend.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
pretty sure goku has a 1st grade education.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Bulma?

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

i'm gayku

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

lmao

spirit bomb the cops then gather the dragon balls to wish mike brown back to life

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
i got cucked by goku.... epic fail.... XD

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
gokú

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Goku backhands Krillin hard enough to knock him to the ground--CRACK! The world reels as hot red pain sweeps over Krillin's bald head, but he stubbornly struggles to his feet. "Stay down!" Goku commands the mortal, driving a kick into Krillin's ribs--SMASH! The man falls back into a fetal position, groaning. When he tries to stand back up, he staggers, falls, and vomits. Greenish-yellow bile spoils the silken orange jumpsuit he wears.

"Are you gonna stay down, bro?" Goku shouts at Krillin.

Krillin paws at streaks of vomit. "Suck my dick, bro."

"Shouldn't have said that poo poo, dude," Goku growls, slapping Krillin on the top of his head--SLAP! His head thumps like a gigantic watermelon, and his eardrums instantly burn and ache. A bright pink hand print remains on his shiny scalp.

Fighting back the urge to dry heave, Krillin plants his hands in the dirt and props his body back up just in time to see Goku deliver a punch to his chest--WET CRUNCH! The hit lays him out flat against the ground. For several minutes, he cannot bring himself to breathe; it feels like every bone in his chest is broken and collapsed and crushed, and when he finally gasps for air, an overwhelming agony seizes his chest.

Goku grabs at the crotch of his silken pants and tugs at the material; there is a distance in his eyes, as if his mind is a thousand light-years away. "I bet you want a taste of the true ultimate power, don't you, you little bald human being..." Then there is only heavy his mouth-breathing and the soft swish-swish of his pants being adjusted.

Swish swish swish...

Krillin's eyes flicker; he slowly rolls onto one side and props himself up, but Goku places a boot on his chest and pushes him back into the dirt.

Swish swish swish...

"Are you ready?" Goku breathes.

Swish swish swish...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Swish swish swish...
:goku:

• Locked thread