Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Even the one about dyslexia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Darthemed posted:

Even the one about dyslexia?

That one was dumb, but it didn't feel like.... hokey and campy like VERY SPECIAL EPISODEs normally do.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Your call.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
There aren't a lot of straight action animated shows out right now. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and I guess ben 10 are some of the few. Everything else that could be considered action has a way heavier focus on comedy.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"Static Shock meets Shaquille o Neal."

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Gaunab posted:

There aren't a lot of straight action animated shows out right now. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and I guess ben 10 are some of the few. Everything else that could be considered action has a way heavier focus on comedy.

Though, TMNT does have amazing humor in it to go along with the action. I'd aurgue that the current TMNT series is the perfect example of what a property about mutant turtle brothers who practice ninjitsu with their mutant rat sensai. It's funny, with awesome character designs, and kick rear end, well-choreographed fight scenes.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It's odd because S&P is more lax than ever. Like, Gravity Falls is on Disney Channel and they can get away with actually saying "death" and "die" and having monsters take hatchets to the gut, considering that Batman Beyond had to have the screen flash to hide the actual impact of punches and a decade ago anime infamously had to hide references to death behind things like "sent to the shadow realm" we're in a whole new ballpark.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's odd because S&P is more lax than ever. Like, Gravity Falls is on Disney Channel and they can get away with actually saying "death" and "die" and having monsters take hatchets to the gut, considering that Batman Beyond had to have the screen flash to hide the actual impact of punches and a decade ago anime infamously had to hide references to death behind things like "sent to the shadow realm" we're in a whole new ballpark.

:corsair: Back in my day we had "HFIL," and if you wanted to hear Heero Yuy say "I'll kill you" you had to catch the "Uncut" airing on Midnight Run

Nowadays Adventure Time can make pitch-black suicide jokes but it's delivered in a cheeky way and, hey, there's a TV-PG in the corner! No worries!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

JethroMcB posted:

Nowadays Adventure Time can make pitch-black suicide jokes but it's delivered in a cheeky way and, hey, there's a TV-PG in the corner! No worries!

Truly, we live in a blessed age.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the best example is this clip from Gravity Falls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKNkbPEh9Mw

It's amazing that made it in there. The censors were either asleep at the wheel or just weren't doing their jobs.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the best example is this clip from Gravity Falls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKNkbPEh9Mw

It's amazing that made it in there. The censors were either asleep at the wheel or just weren't doing their jobs.
Man that would have been perfect for a Michael Clarke Duncan voice cameo :smith:

Also the Korra finale also got away with a lot, though you could see where the censors stepped in.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

SlothfulCobra posted:

This is part of the storyboard from the season opener:

They distract the censors with even darker stuff.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Australian TV aired Madoka Magica nearly uncut on ABC3, a kids' channel, and even rated it TV-PG. I'm not an anime fan but that is NOT a kids' show.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

What podcast is this?

Also, I don't know if it's on hiatus or not because Nick Frost posted on his Facebook that he and Simon Pegg would return as Shaun and Ed from Shaun of the Dead for a Halloween special for Phineas and Ferb.
Well that's good, at least. Maybe they were talking about Season 5 being on indefinite hiatus?

Also Toon Talk Weekly is the podcast.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This is my favorite "how did this get past the censors" scene recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djBGau0imgE

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Man that would have been perfect for a Michael Clarke Duncan voice cameo :smith:

Also the Korra finale also got away with a lot, though you could see where the censors stepped in.

A notable bit of censoring in Korra was the coup plot where they had to completely talk around the murder of the Queen of the Earth Kingdom. Which was crazy because they actually showed everything but her dead body hitting the floor.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
But, on the flip side, when I watch old Looney Tunes and episodes of Freakazoid, Earthworm Jim, Eek the Cat, Rocko's Modern Life, Animaniacs, and Pinky and the Brain, it does strike me that there are certain, more politically incorrect or satirical jokes that you'd be harder-pressed to get away with today on a kids' show. Or is it just me, and my cartoon tastes?

I previously thought that cartoons were less violent and morbid now, but you guys have made a pretty compelling argument to the contrary! It may just be that the flavor of the violence and the slapstick has changed.

I was rather surprised by the nipple joke in the manotaur episode of Gravity Falls. :)

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Looney Tunes were mostly geared toward adult audiences and aired before movies. I don't think there was a much of an "animation is for kids" stigma back then as there is today, and it seems like only recently has there really been a turnaround from that.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Corek posted:

Australian TV aired Madoka Magica nearly uncut on ABC3, a kids' channel, and even rated it TV-PG. I'm not an anime fan but that is NOT a kids' show.
It certainly isn't but it's not like there is anything objectionable in there that isn't existential or over the heads of little kids. I assume the dub doesn't have any cursing or anything.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Tartarus Sauce posted:

But, on the flip side, when I watch old Looney Tunes and episodes of Freakazoid, Earthworm Jim, Eek the Cat, Rocko's Modern Life, Animaniacs, and Pinky and the Brain, it does strike me that there are certain, more politically incorrect or satirical jokes that you'd be harder-pressed to get away with today on a kids' show. Or is it just me, and my cartoon tastes?

I previously thought that cartoons were less violent and morbid now, but you guys have made a pretty compelling argument to the contrary! It may just be that the flavor of the violence and the slapstick has changed.

I was rather surprised by the nipple joke in the manotaur episode of Gravity Falls. :)

Children's cartoons have always gotten away with adult humor, I think people just don't realize it because they didn't get the jokes when they were kids.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rocko isn't good example because in retrospect it appears they got a lot of jokes through because whoever was in charge of S&P on the show was asleep at the wheel.

Mostly because in later seasons they had to redo some stuff.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

muscles like this? posted:

Rocko isn't good example because in retrospect it appears they got a lot of jokes through because whoever was in charge of S&P on the show was asleep at the wheel.

Mostly because in later seasons they had to redo some stuff.

And even the stuff in later seasons that got through later got excised from the master tapes ("We're playing Spank the Monkey," Rocko grabbing that bear's testicles, "Retorqued your Johnson Rods" being redubbed, etc.)

It seems like at least a quarter of Looney Tunes shorts contain suicide gags. Animaniacs got a fingering joke in there - and not a subtle one, either! Pinky and the Brain had that entire episode where the plot was "Brain is sued for sexual harassment in the workplace." That kind of stuff has always been there in cartoons, it just seems a little more blatant now (so much vagina imagery in Adventure Time - see above) or particularly noteworthy given how prone organizations like the PTC are to inciting a moral panic (Typically about things that aren't meant for children, though. They'll encourage an FCC letter writing campaign about any given episode of American Dad while they let the Regular Shows and Gravity Falls of the world pass them by.)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah cool and all but no one seems to be using the relaxed standards and practices in action shows. Most are oddly TVY7. I guess a few off color jokes is easier to deal with. An animated action show will probably take a lot flack next time something violent involving children happens.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy gently caress remember the lesbian biker gang in that episode of cow and chicken?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Gaunab posted:

Yeah cool and all but no one seems to be using the relaxed standards and practices in action shows. Most are oddly TVY7. I guess a few off color jokes is easier to deal with. An animated action show will probably take a lot flack next time something violent involving children happens.

Shows get produced for a certain demographic, it's not some censorship board preventing children's shows for including graphic sex scenes and gore, but the people who make the show in the first place. Most action shows are designed to sell toys to 10 year old children, so of course they're not going to include adult content that would scare or weird out children. Meanwhile Animaniacs was made because Steven Spielberg felt like it and most shows like Rocko's Modern Life and Ren and Stimpy were similarly made pretty much on the initiative of their creators

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Plus the demographics have shifted, live-action shows like Arrow are making DC way more money than animated fare. And when every kid on the planet sees The Avengers in theaters it renders an animated series superfluous at best.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Plus the demographics have shifted, live-action shows like Arrow are making DC way more money than animated fare. And when every kid on the planet sees The Avengers in theaters it renders an animated series superfluous at best.

Have the demographics shifted or have they just figured out that TV dramas and movies with tie-ins are a goldmine? And in any case, Marvel movies and TV dramas aren't directed at children, so that market for selling toys still exists

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Cardboard Box A posted:

It certainly isn't but it's not like there is anything objectionable in there that isn't existential or over the heads of little kids. I assume the dub doesn't have any cursing or anything.
Spoilered because I know anime fans get butthurt easily about that kind of stuff
Someone gets eaten on screen. One of the characters has like half an episode of using real guns and missiles and stuff to shoot a witch (but that might not be censored much anymore). A main character kills several others before getting shot. A different main character is implied to murder two guys; there may have been blood, I can't remember. The witches really unsubtly make people kill themselves (those last two might go over kids' heads)
That's not very much, though. It's still not aimed at little kids, dunno why they'd air it on a kids' channel.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I think with the advent of the internet and with how far cartoons of the last 20 years have pushed the line, American S&P has lowered it guard to everything but direct violent death and actual swearing. I'm not sure if they think kids are more desensitized to some adult situations as there isn't much you can protect a kid from that one bad Google search won't reveal, but as long as its branded as a "comedy", there's less incentive for people to take a show as seriously as your unashamed action programs. Its how Rocco's Modern Life and Ren and Stimpy were under the radar initially while the aforementioned anime or super hero shows needed cutesy names for hell and calling blood PLASMA or have all the cops carry toy laser guns.

Its a shame that there aren't more shows like the latest Ninja Turtles, but I'm glad we have at least that.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
This conversation reminds me of one of my favorite Justice League Unlimited lines from "Epilogue": "Bruce's DNA was easy enough to obtain. He left it all over town--not remotely what I meant."

JLU needs to be a thing again. There will never be a superhero cartoon as good.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes was pretty good. Until the second season.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Bass Bottles posted:

Children's cartoons have always gotten away with adult humor, I think people just don't realize it because they didn't get the jokes when they were kids.

Rocko is that you

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I was always partial to the one where Mrs Bighead starts calling Rocko over to do "chores" because Mr Bighead is leaving her unsatisfied in the bedroom.

~~*~~Zip me up Rockoooooooo~~*~~

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Oh baby. Oh baby. Oh baby.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are we forgetting when Heffer over eats, dies, and goes to 'heck' where hell was just crossed out.
Or after the kids are born and the last one that walks out looks like Heffer.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Rocko's dog Spunky had sex with a mop. It wasn't subtle.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
This just in: Batman Beyond's "Splicers" is still a bad episode.

HEY KIDS! When your parents tell you that something is weird, uncouth, and unnatural, THEY'RE RIGHT! Just say "no" to rock n' roll, punk rock, hanging out with people you met on the Interwebs, racial integration, and gay marriage! Your elders know best!

HEY KIDS! If your immediate gut reaction to someone or something is that they're gross, weird, and probably evil because they're different or aesthetically unattractive, you're RIGHT! All of your immediate negative gut reactions are ALWAYS right, and you NEVER have to rethink or revisit them! Just like your reactions to gay people and foreigners! Go kick the poo poo out of that goth kid for us, skipper!

HEY KIDS! If something contradicts nature as we understand it, it's EVIL! So be smart, and just say "no" to computers, nanotechnology, stem cell research, cancer treatments, gene therapy, and the Large Hadron Collider. Remember, kids: If God had intended for us to have it, He would've given it to us already!

This sucker definitely feels like a Very Special Episode. All of the "good" and "smart" characters have a visceral and automatic negative reaction to splicing, and by jove, they turn out to be totally and completely correct!

The other anti-drug-esque episodes are fine for the most part, but this feels like something else entirely. In addition to feeling very anti-science at its core--because I see how this kind of breakthrough could conceivably save and improve lives in reality--the episode comes across more like a failed and hysterical metaphor for piercings or tattoos than doing drugs.

Oh, and Spunky totally hosed that mop, and it was absolutely not subtle.

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 24, 2014

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
My takeaway from that episode was "yes I can get a tattoo when I'm older".

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I thought the message was don't play around when it comes to altering your DNA. Or don't treat scientific break throughs like a fad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kinda liked that the head of the Chimera corporation literally turned into a Chimera. I thought that was a cool idea.