Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

I love being the bearer of good news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Capaldi's the best :allears:

Bring back the Chumblies so I can get a little toy one that collapses on itself when you bop its head. They're adorable.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

DoctorWhat posted:

I meant Pip and Jane. Tom's above reproach, until he dies and 30 years later we start to acknowledge [insert lovely thing he did].

These are the good days.

Oh, I thought you had something against the actor who played Major Baker in Doctor Who and the Silurians.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

Oh my god, I had no idea.

:getin:

Love the Jamie and 4th Doctor thing. Maybe now Jamie can just do audios with all the other Doctors? Have him show up and hang with 5, 7, and 8?

Though can you imagine how trippy it would be if they did it as a Two Doctors episode and Jamie did his Troughton voice? I can't even wrap my head around how 2 and 4 would interact. I think it would be a blast!

Side note appropros of nothing...I'm listening to Black and White, and the choice to make Grendel sound like Paul Lynde is certainly...interesting.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Man, it sure would be swell if this "The Ultimate Companion" malarkey could acknowledge Evelyn Smythe.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Man, it sure would be swell if this "The Ultimate Companion" malarkey could acknowledge Evelyn Smythe.

DoctorWhat posted:

DoctorWhat posted:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I stopped watching, did they!??! Or are you just empty-quoting with great intensity?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

I stopped watching, did they!??! Or are you just empty-quoting with great intensity?

With great intensity. So much intensity.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Big Mean Jerk posted:

His last season was awful and he's nuts now, but you can't tell me Tom's first few seasons aren't great.

On behalf of Bidmead fans everywhere:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Potsticker posted:

With great intensity. So much intensity.

:smith::respek::smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So... exactly 12 hours from now, yeah? :shepface:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

So... exactly 12 hours from now, yeah? :shepface:

It'll be on at 4:30AM here. I'm still torn on if I should see the premier or just catch the 7:30PM airing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DoctorWhat posted:

I meant Pip and Jane. Tom's above reproach, until he dies and 30 years later we start to acknowledge [insert lovely thing he did].

These are the good days.

I'm pretty sure Tom's actually quite clean, at least compared to may of the other British TV television personalities of the era. I mean, he was quite a prick to his costars towards the end of his tenure, but that's practically sainthood compared to his contemporaries.

Aside from Pat's double life, the Doctors have thankfully managed to avoid scandal. I mean the biggest revelation about an of the doctors recently was that Jon Pertwee was a spy, which is friggin' rad.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

His last season was awful and he's nuts now, but you can't tell me Tom's first few seasons aren't great.

You're a crazy person, his last series was pretty drat good. First three stories are poo poo, but State of Decay and Logopolis are both excellent and Tom's rather tired acting fit the theme exceptionally.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I can't believe that today is finally the day.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
GET HYPE, FOOLS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lBeV5bQW70

(A fanmade trailer, but a great fanmade trailer, nonetheless.)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
All the BBC Doctor Who adventure games from 11's run are apparently on sale on Steam for 5 bucks. Am I right in assuming they're probably absolutely terrible and I should not be seriously considering actually buying and playing them?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm pretty sure Tom's actually quite clean, at least compared to may of the other British TV television personalities of the era. I mean, he was quite a prick to his costars towards the end of his tenure, but that's practically sainthood compared to his contemporaries.

Aside from Pat's double life, the Doctors have thankfully managed to avoid scandal. I mean the biggest revelation about an of the doctors recently was that Jon Pertwee was a spy, which is friggin' rad.

Tom Baker's excesses seem to be pretty well known and documented - he drinks like a fish and is a randy old goat ("Tom's putting it in now.") I think he's pretty much what he appears to be, which in the current climate of everyone getting Yewtreed is pretty nice.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I rewatched the last couple episodes to lead into the new one, and something struck me in Night of the Doctor, not sure if I missed something or not - the Timelords have been asking "Doctor who?" through the crack to make sure they've got the right place before they come through. Then Clara convinces them to help the Doctor, so they must know they've got the right place and they... give him a new regeneration cycle. Is there a reason they didn't instead/also come through at that point?

(I mean a reason given that I missed, not "can we come up with one.")

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

Jsor posted:

All the BBC Doctor Who adventure games from 11's run are apparently on sale on Steam for 5 bucks. Am I right in assuming they're probably absolutely terrible and I should not be seriously considering actually buying and playing them?

Yeah, they're god awful, don't bother.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Doctor never gave them the answer they wanted: to confirm it was DEFINITELY him so they could be sure they wouldn't be walking into a trap. It isn't until Clara tells them that they're missing the point because his name is "The Doctor" because that is who he really is (something hammered home frequently in The Name & The Day) that they figure out it is him, and that he hasn't confirmed anything because it isn't safe on the other side. Since they figure out he is dying and needs their help, they close the crack so they can reopen it somewhere/when else and try again later, and give him a whole new cycle of regenerations to make sure he WILL be there to give that confirmation.

WE know that the Dalek Armada is waiting and that it'll be basically Time War II if they come through, but I don't think the Time Lords themselves are ever privy to that information - I think all they could really tell from opening the crack was that somebody being called the Doctor by other people was on the other side, but that he wouldn't give the confirmation they were after that he was THE Doctor. They just want to know it's safe to come back through and set up in the "real" universe again. The Doctor used the regeneration energy to destroy the Dalek fleet but I don't think that was the purpose the Time Lords gave it to him for, they just figured if he was alive/able to regenerate then he would sort himself out of whatever mess he was in (He's good at that!) and then move on.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 23, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gonz posted:

GET HYPE, FOOLS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lBeV5bQW70

(A fanmade trailer, but a great fanmade trailer, nonetheless.)

My favorite part of this trailer is that he was intentionally very vague and ambiguous, and still managed to get it all wrong. He went very Jesus, and then oh, hey, turns out the Twelfth Doctor is gonna be a combination of the Third and Sixth.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jsor posted:

If you like terribad games in any sort of ironic manner, the price is probably low enough that you won't regret buying them, and there's a handful of neat ideas, but the gameplay and production values are pretty awful. The Beeb really need someone like Telltale or Double Fine to make that kind of game for Who.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gaz-L posted:

If you like terribad games in any sort of ironic manner, the price is probably low enough that you won't regret buying them, and there's a handful of neat ideas, but the gameplay and production values are pretty awful. The Beeb really need someone like Telltale or Double Fine to make that kind of game for Who.

I went to Moby Games to look up a good screenshot for Dalek Attack, but then I got distracted by the number of Doctor Who games for the C=64 I never would have been able to play on my NTSC side of the Atlantic. But now I've got an emulator and a day off!

Dammit, I needed to get things done today...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Tom Baker's excesses seem to be pretty well known and documented - he drinks like a fish and is a randy old goat ("Tom's putting it in now.") I think he's pretty much what he appears to be, which in the current climate of everyone getting Yewtreed is pretty nice.

This is just about the worst interview I've seen him give, in that he literally says a beautiful woman shouldn't ever speak until her figure starts to go:

http://benjamincook.net/writing/doctor-who-magazine/interviews-and-articles/tom-baker/

It's still well worth reading and you somehow can't hate him. He's simultaneously exactly what he appears to be and some kind of weird, Andy Kaufman figure. He was very probably an angry drunk, difficult to work with and probably not very nice to women, but gently caress if everybody doesn't dream of him just strolling into their local pub, grinning widely, buying everyone a round and beginning to tell his charming stories.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bicyclops posted:

This is just about the worst interview I've seen him give, in that he literally says a beautiful woman shouldn't ever speak until her figure starts to go:

http://benjamincook.net/writing/doctor-who-magazine/interviews-and-articles/tom-baker/

It's still well worth reading and you somehow can't hate him. He's simultaneously exactly what he appears to be and some kind of weird, Andy Kaufman figure. He was very probably an angry drunk, difficult to work with and probably not very nice to women, but gently caress if everybody doesn't dream of him just strolling into their local pub, grinning widely, buying everyone a round and beginning to tell his charming stories.

Well, I doubt he's bought a round or even a pint in forty years, but yeah. Also that "pretty women not talking" is up there with Sean connery's infamous "give a woman a slap" for how reprehensible the content is but as you say, somehow Tom Baker is very difficult to hate. Especially when this exists:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BQeTIjD0T_4

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Bicyclops posted:

He just feels like your awesome grandpa. "Oh granddad, I know you're from a different time, but you don't REALLY think the mall is poo poo since it 'got taken over by the coons' do you? Now tell me another story. :allears:"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

He was very probably an angry drunk, difficult to work with and probably not very nice to women, but gently caress if everybody doesn't dream of him just strolling into their local pub, grinning widely, buying everyone a round and beginning to tell his charming stories.

Probably something like this.

Have you heard that one prank call where Culshaw (in character as the Fourth Doctor) rings him up to ask for his help, and Baker stops him and says, "There must be some mistake. I'm the Doctor!" or the one where Culshaw (again as Four) phones Sylvester McCoy, who eventually goes, "Er, Tom, have you been at the pub?"

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

While we're all waiting for Deep Breath to air, the Eighth Doctor fanfic I've been working on is now finished. Marvel! As the Doctor is tied to a chair. Gasp! As the Doctor is punched in the face. Cringe! As he fails to accomplish much of anything at all.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor used the regeneration energy to destroy the Dalek fleet but I don't think that was the purpose the Time Lords gave it to him for, they just figured if he was alive/able to regenerate then he would sort himself out of whatever mess he was in (He's good at that!) and then move on.

I still kind of want the next encounter between the Doctor and the Time Lords being a conversation that goes something like "way to use up 11 of the 12 new regenerations we just handed you on a big fireworks show, rear end in a top hat!"

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Is this being streamed online anywhere?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I love how the first regeneration was just Hartnell kind of vaguely fading into Troughton, and now it's basically like a giant nuke. Even discounting The Time of the Doctor, a couple of the regenerations have been fairly destructive.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

So Scherzo is weird as poo poo. I'm not sure what I just listened to.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Thunderfinger posted:

Is this being streamed online anywhere?

iPlayer

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

PoshAlligator posted:

It's pretty divisive in this thread. Some people (me included) absolutely love it, but others can't stand it.

I'll probably have to wait until Monday to watch the new episode (I promised the fiance I wouldn't commit TV adultery and watch it without her and she's visiting an out of state friend this weekend), but I have discovered that Big Finish sounds a lot better if use an HDMI cable to play it through my TV speakers. It somehow holds my attention more. I'm listening to Three's a Crowd right now, and in the second part, I'm still not convinced it's really going anywhere. Interesting concept, but not big on the execution so far.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Is there anywhere free? I remember we used to watch JustinTV but that's been killed :(

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PoshAlligator posted:

I just re-listened to it for the first time in years, like, yesterday.

I mean, it's a Rob Shearman script so I'm already predisposed towards liking it, but its fame/infamy has such a massive (in the gravitational sense) presence in the Big Finish fandom/"history"/pantheon that it distorts itself and everything around it.

Relistening, it's certainly gripping, and something people tend to forget is that it's 30-to-45 minutes shorter than most other Big Finish main-range releases, clocking in at a few seconds underneath 90 minutes. It's also a draining experience to listen to. The background hum is grating, the jump-scares are horrifying and unlike anything else Big Finish has done before or since, and it almost perversely plays with its own nature as a "Doctor Who story".

It's also more-or-less the ur-Shearman. It reintroduces the themes of parenthood from The Holy Terror, the twisting of "Doctor Who stories" from Jubilee, and the nature-of-life questions from The Chimes of Midnight. It does all this while also tying into / seeding the themes of evolution, revolution, reincarnation, and reiteration that the Divergent Universe arc was meant to emphasize.

In all honesty, I'd describe it as the single most ambitious Doctor Who story ever told in any medium. And, more incredibly still, it succeeds.

...gently caress it. Scherzo owns. 5 out of 5, 10 out of 10, 100 out of 100. Is it my favorite Doctor Who story? No. But it might be the best.

Rob Shearman is a goddamn genius. If I ever write something half as good as Scherzo I'd be over the drat moon.

Crazy Man
Mar 12, 2006

The laws of sanity are mine, and they will obey me!

thepokey posted:

Is there anywhere free? I remember we used to watch JustinTV but that's been killed :(

Everything is free with enough imagination and creativity. I'll leave it at that.

I do have a dilemma though. Do I watch the live broadcast or should I leave my first viewing until people come over for it later...

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

I just re-listened to it for the first time in years, like, yesterday.

I mean, it's a Rob Shearman script so I'm already predisposed towards liking it, but its fame/infamy has such a massive (in the gravitational sense) presence in the Big Finish fandom/"history"/pantheon that it distorts itself and everything around it.

Relistening, it's certainly gripping, and something people tend to forget is that it's 30-to-45 minutes shorter than most other Big Finish main-range releases, clocking in at a few seconds underneath 90 minutes. It's also a draining experience to listen to. The background hum is grating, the jump-scares are horrifying and unlike anything else Big Finish has done before or since, and it almost perversely plays with its own nature as a "Doctor Who story".

It's also more-or-less the ur-Shearman. It reintroduces the themes of parenthood from The Holy Terror, the twisting of "Doctor Who stories" from Jubilee, and the nature-of-life questions from The Chimes of Midnight. It does all this while also tying into / seeding the themes of evolution, revolution, reincarnation, and reiteration that the Divergent Universe arc was meant to emphasize.

In all honesty, I'd describe it as the single most ambitious Doctor Who story ever told in any medium. And, more incredibly still, it succeeds.

...gently caress it. Scherzo owns. 5 out of 5, 10 out of 10, 100 out of 100. Is it my favorite Doctor Who story? No. But it might be the best.

Rob Shearman is a goddamn genius. If I ever write something half as good as Scherzo I'd be over the drat moon.

Well it certainly makes an impression as the opening to an arc. I also have Natural History of Fear and Other Lives which might be from that arc? Scherzo had a bit too much lovey stuff for me. I think I looked Scherzo, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it. Or the other way around. I didn't expect to say this but I'm glad it's quite a bit shorter than normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PoshAlligator posted:

Well it certainly makes an impression as the opening to an arc. I also have Natural History of Fear and Other Lives which might be from that arc? Scherzo had a bit too much lovey stuff for me. I think I looked Scherzo, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it. Or the other way around. I didn't expect to say this but I'm glad it's quite a bit shorter than normal.

Natural History is from the Divergent Arc, while Other Lives is in a... weird place.

See, originally the Divergent Universe arc was going to run for an additional season or two on top of the two-season run it actually got. However, just after Zagreus got released, production began on the 2005 series, and the folks at Big Finish scrambled to get the Doctor out of the Divergent Universe quickly, in order to de-weirdify the audios to better "make way" for the New Series.

(I also suspect that Big Finish feared - rightly, as it turns out, as RTD had to go to bat for them during the New Series pre-production process; the BBC was planning to bring it all "in-house" - that their license might be in jeopardy with the New Series on the horizon, and they didn't want to leave the Doctor "stuck" in the Divergent Universe when that happened.)

As a result, many of the remaining 8th Doctor stories planned for the Divergent Arc were partially or heavily rewritten, and traces of that arc's themes and style remain in many of the eight remaining stories.

(It's also rumored that Paul was getting tired of the audios, especially after the hit-and-miss Divergent arc, and needed some convincing to stay on rather than doing a regeneration story of some sort. Hence the New Series-styled EDA audios.)

• Locked thread