Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ravane posted:

The last line was a joke, I'm sorry you missed it.

The original statement still stands. If that's his actual video, Sir Patrick Stewart failed in promoting ALS. It has nothing to do with the ice bucket and everything to do with the donation. But he didn't make a single mention of ALS, he was never like, "the link to donate is in the description." People follow by example, but he made no mention of donating to ALS. So the point of the video, I'm assuming, is not about awareness but simply a celebrity trying to prove his relevance in the modern day. Besides some lovely x-men movies, yeah he's not that relevant anymore.

Also a better video would be if he was in his lobster suit dumping cold water on himself.

He was challenged to donate or do the challenge. His video is of him donating instead of doing the challenge. Now hush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Sorry Ravane. You're trying for some Occupation type poo poo but the goons aren't going for it like they do with his dumbshittery for some reason

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Ravane's much funnier than Occupation, though. He just tries too hard sometimes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting a little sick of Patrick Stewart these days tbh, although the video was cool. Ravane is totally right, though, he really shoulda put links to donate in the description.

e: I should point out I don't mean him as a person so much as his online overexposure and the way the internet treats him like a god and finds his every move infinitely witty

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

ShakeZula posted:

I actually do watch Perception and generally enjoy it, though it's not exactly brilliant television (I think I just have a thing for Rachael Leigh Cook). Do you mean the most recent (Season 3) finale? .

Has it been three seasons already? drat.

Anyway, thanks for the answer. I completely missed that somehow.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
That Honorable Woman miniseries is pretty good. It's got that low key spy mystery poo poo that I like and an awesome cast.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I kind of wish FXX just constantly showed The Simpsons.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Bown posted:

The Selfie pilot was a giant piece of poo poo and I don't know why anyone would come in here and lie about that to such an extent

Cool, expressing honest opinions is now lying. Eff off, jerkward.
You have a right to your opinion, but this poo poo is part of a forum tendency to assume that any opinions deviating from a certain arbitrary standard of what's "acceptable" must be trolling. I wish people would cut that poo poo out, in part because encouraging that assumption is EXACTLY what trolls want. Trolls, in general, are gigantic cynics who don't understand why anyone would sincerely like anything, and while getting a rise out of people is their first objective, their second is trying to get people not to care too much about anything.
tbh, I largely appreciated the Selfie pilot because I'm a social media hermit who doesn't own a Twitter account, and have the dumbest phone possible to even get, and I'm proud of both facts. So I really identified with John Cho's character.
Also I have a mancrush on John Cho and would watch him in literally anything. :allears:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

We think you're lying because the show is so bad.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Good lord that sports song on Garfunkel and Oates was so loving terrible.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Spatula City posted:

tbh, I largely appreciated the Selfie pilot because I'm a social media hermit who doesn't own a Twitter account, and have the dumbest phone possible to even get, and I'm proud of both facts. So I really identified with John Cho's character.

I honestly don't know what's worse, the people so invested in the concept of Bojack Horseman that they claim to like it despite expressing, at best, a tepid reaction to the show, or you, the person who enjoys a show because he identifies with a character who is crabby, backwards misanthrope.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

I'm getting a little sick of Patrick Stewart these days tbh, although the video was cool. Ravane is totally right, though, he really shoulda put links to donate in the description.

e: I should point out I don't mean him as a person so much as his online overexposure and the way the internet treats him like a god and finds his every move infinitely witty

On one hand you're right, on the other if people weren't obsessed with Patrick Stewart or George takei they'd go back to being obsessed with wil Wheaton

Wil Wheaton, bown

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this? posted:

I kind of wish FXX just constantly showed The Simpsons.
Same, but only the first 15 seasons or so. Hell, maybe not even that many.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Toxxupation posted:

It's precision, he has a pathological need to make threads weird and uncomfortable

This is not actually true. Then again, I pretty much never feel uncomfortable in real life so maybe I'm doing it but certainly not on purpose. I've really never seen the point of feeling uncomfortable, though I gather most people don't have a choice in the matter.

Like, I used to have this friend who, while he and I and several other people were on mushrooms or ecstasty, he'd make all kinds of "ha ha just kidding, or AM I" gay innuendo. It was very clearly intended to make people uncomfortable, like a real life version of trolling someone I guess. But it never worked on me. I think it eventually drove him mad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait a minute....you've done drugs, precision?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bown posted:

Well he's never mentioned it before, I can see how you'd be surprised.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

I'm more shocked he ate a mushroom that wasn't in a hotpocket.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Welp, I started a thread for BoJack Horseman. God help me.

I don't want to defend it any more in this thread, but I do want to share those opening credits Bown was so impressed by earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQvIR1oL1vE

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

Welp, I started a thread for BoJack Horseman. God help me.

I don't want to defend it any more in this thread, but I do want to share those opening credits Bown was so impressed by earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQvIR1oL1vE

I just don't get it, what's so great about the title sequence?

It annoys the poo poo out of me because it's way way louder than the rest of the show like commercials on Siffy used to be back around when Stargate was still on, but otherwise, it seems unremarkable and way too long (just like OitNB).

I've enjoyed the show, though, in a "gently caress you it's summer" way. I also love stupid puns. They also somehow got a lot of great actors involved.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does Bojack Horseman ever stop having bits like "Time to cannonball!" *breaks the bed* "....time to buy you a new bed!" ?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bown posted:

Does Bojack Horseman ever stop having bits like "Time to cannonball!" *breaks the bed* "....time to buy you a new bed!" ?

No, those jokes are always around in some form. And after a brief peek into the existential angst that truly drives this show in episodes 7 & 8, 9 & 10 place those jokes back in the forefront. But then 11 blows the whole show open -- shades of "Nature" in Moral Orel.

IRQ posted:

I just don't get it, what's so great about the title sequence?

I go into it in the thread's OP, but in short, it nails the kind of show this is.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

precision posted:

This is not actually true. Then again, I pretty much never feel uncomfortable in real life so maybe I'm doing it but certainly not on purpose. I've really never seen the point of feeling uncomfortable, though I gather most people don't have a choice in the matter.

Like, I used to have this friend who, while he and I and several other people were on mushrooms or ecstasty, he'd make all kinds of "ha ha just kidding, or AM I" gay innuendo. It was very clearly intended to make people uncomfortable, like a real life version of trolling someone I guess. But it never worked on me. I think it eventually drove him mad.

Thanks for the update

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Stop it let's just all get along

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Irish Joe posted:

I honestly don't know what's worse, the people so invested in the concept of Bojack Horseman that they claim to like it despite expressing, at best, a tepid reaction to the show, or you, the person who enjoys a show because he identifies with a character who is crabby, backwards misanthrope.

We all have a crabby backwards misanthrope within us. :3:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Toxxupation posted:

Thanks for the update

No problem. :)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Fateo McMurray posted:

Stop it let's just all get along

No.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

You have no idea how much I was hoping someone would reply with that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bown posted:

It's not like you couldn't figure it out from the ten billion other videos that are no doubt on your facebook feed if you really gave a poo poo.

Irish Joe posted:

Could be worse, he could identify with Karen Gillan's human caricature who only "knows" people online and is completely unfamiliar with normal human interaction despite being a functioning member of society.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 24, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How in the world does one become sick of Patrick Stewart? I mean, I just can't imagine it. That's like saying "TBH I'm getting sick of ice cream".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The guy is old too. He isn't going to be around forever.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I really can't wait for BoJack Horseman to properly find its legs, because god drat it is going to be a thing when it does. That said, it's already pretty decent; it's scratching the Archer itch decently enough until that show comes back.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

How in the world does one become sick of Patrick Stewart? I mean, I just can't imagine it. That's like saying "TBH I'm getting sick of ice cream".

You have to understand I live in England so I've already had the whole "this intelligent British man is a living god!!!" thing with Stephen Fry and I can't be bothered to muster up the enthusiasm now it's for Stewart instead.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Stephen Fry and Patrick Stewart both own though, sorry you're too dour and british to understand this

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bown posted:

You have to understand I live in England so I've already had the whole "this intelligent British man is a living god!!!" thing with Stephen Fry and I can't be bothered to muster up the enthusiasm now it's for Stewart instead.

Huh. I didn't know you lived in England. How did I miss that?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
10 Shocking Facts About SomethingAwful Posters You Never Knew!!!!

- precision does drugs!
- Bown is British
- Deadpool is actually WWE superstar Brock Lesner!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

- precision does drugs!
- Bown is British
- Deadpool is actually WWE superstar Brock Lesner!

I knew two of those.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Deadpool posted:

I knew two of those.
I hope someday you overcome your identity crisis.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

precision posted:

- precision does drugs!
- Bown is British
- Deadpool cosplays as WWE superstar Brock Lesner!

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I'm curious to know what the ratings on FXX are right now with the Simpsons marathon versus what they'll be when they get to the not good seasons. I'm guessing it'll be a gradual decline followed by a pretty sharp drop. I could be wrong though, wouldn't surprise me if people keep tuning in because of the 100% chance of catching an episode of the Simpsons no matter what time of day it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I wonder what the decline was when people realized "hey, these episodes have been airing in syndication for decades" or "wait a minute, I have this season on DVD. Why am I watching it with commercials like an idiot?"

• Locked thread