Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Mikl posted:

For the player maybe, but there are really deep discussions going around in real life with the whole concept of transhumanism.

Consider these questions:

- Would you get a robo-arm if you had lost your actual arm?

- Would you cut off your arm to get a robo-arm?

Pretty big difference, even if there are no downsides to augs.
stick your fleshy arm inside a robo arm exoskeleton, all the pluses none of the downsides.

Also, they'd like, propably make an aug verison of sports and people would watch both, kinda like how there are still speedruns when Tool assisted ones exist and can do more crazy stuff.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I can't pause Dark Souls. Look I know it's an effect you're going for but my dog needs to take a poo poo right now and telling her there's guys with spears jabbing me is not going to be much relief. Oh whoops sorry whoever's calling me on the phone, but I can never feel truly safe, which apparently means I must sever all connections with other lifeforms.

Is there a way to simulate pausing? You can still be a hard RPG even if I can interrupt a fight to take a leak.
for dark souls open menu and select quit game. resuming game will take you right where you were standing. course if you're playing offline or cant be invaded, you can just stand around when not being attacked, more enemies won't spawn to attack you or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

muscles like this? posted:

One thing I find annoying about DE:HR is just how long the game takes to reveal that Megan is still alive when it's super obvious from early on that she didn't die.
Same with the big reveal about who her test subject was, which was obvious right from the game's intro.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I can't pause Dark Souls. Look I know it's an effect you're going for but my dog needs to take a poo poo right now and telling her there's guys with spears jabbing me is not going to be much relief. Oh whoops sorry whoever's calling me on the phone, but I can never feel truly safe, which apparently means I must sever all connections with other lifeforms.
I've never understood these decisions to make games more challenging by making them less convenient. Like limiting the number of times you can save. If you don't have enough time to play all the way through in a small enough number of sessions then you just don't get to finish the game. Or checkpoints being really far apart to force you to do whole sections as one rather than save-scumming, which means that if you have to stop playing for any reason before you reach that checkpoint you have to do a whole bunch of stuff again.

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Think of how lovely augs would make sports, though.

Would they allow augs in sports? That would just make them a pay-to-win game where the most well-funded teams have a massive advantage
Like that's not already the case? I don't understand why people care about stuff like performance-enhancing drugs in sports. Look at the Olympics; If you're from a wealthy country where they have well-funded programs to train and support athletes, you've got a huge advantage over the guy from the poor country who had to work a full-time job on top of training. Why are we pretending this is a fair contest?

Who What Now posted:

But you're right, we can't just allow people with any sort of augmentation to play certain sports. There's no challenge to dunking if you just use your rocket-legs to blast off from half court.
Can't we? Because that sounds way more entertaining than regular basketball.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Lotish posted:

A lot of games have a problem with playing coy about their plot twists when they're really obvious hours in advance.

I didn't really clue in at the beginning but when they finally brought her back my reaction was "oh hey you're alive, huh"

That's another problem video games have I guess, telling you to be sad about losing some character when you've only known them for 10 seconds.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Can't we? Because that sounds way more entertaining than regular basketball.

Seriously. NBA Jam was was more interesting than the endless repeats of NBA 2Kwhatever.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Dark Souls isn't unpausable to make it harder, it's unpausable because it's a multiplayer game and it's easier to leave it at that than to go in and code it so you can pause as long as nobody's in your world or currently trying to get into your world. It's laziness rather than malice, really.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

At one point in Adam's building you hear someone complaining about an augmented baseball player, something like "they're calling him the best of all time and he has a god drat metal arm".

As for something dragging a game down to an almost unplayable level, I found the brushwork incredibly difficult to do on the Wii version of Okami. Straight lines and circles were hard to do precisely. Straight lines were fine in battle when you could just flick your wrist, but when you had to cross a name off a list it was beyond frustrating. Circles to bloom something were incredibly frustrating as well, especially in the sections were you had to bloom multiple things within a time limit. The playsation version on the other hand made the brush simple to use.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
The Mega Man games for the Wii have two issues. One is that they're too hard; when you design a Mega Man game, maybe don't make it even harder than the original series? Okay so I'm just a scrub gamer I guess.

But why can't I charge my blaster? Why was THAT downgrade necessary?

EmmyOk posted:

At one point in Adam's building you hear someone complaining about an augmented baseball player, something like "they're calling him the best of all time and he has a god drat metal arm".

As for something dragging a game down to an almost unplayable level, I found the brushwork incredibly difficult to do on the Wii version of Okami. Straight lines and circles were hard to do precisely. Straight lines were fine in battle when you could just flick your wrist, but when you had to cross a name off a list it was beyond frustrating. Circles to bloom something were incredibly frustrating as well, especially in the sections were you had to bloom multiple things within a time limit. The playsation version on the other hand made the brush simple to use.

Yeah the Wiimote doesn't do things like precision well.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Been playing the Dishonored DLCs since they were on sale on Steam.

Random enemy chatter is repetitive. Could the sound bites get any worse?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mikl posted:

Been playing the Dishonored DLCs since they were on sale on Steam.

Random enemy chatter is repetitive. Could the sound bites get any worse?

Never doubt it.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

HMS Boromir posted:

Dark Souls isn't unpausable to make it harder, it's unpausable because it's a multiplayer game and it's easier to leave it at that than to go in and code it so you can pause as long as nobody's in your world or currently trying to get into your world. It's laziness rather than malice, really.

Watch Dogs does exactly this which led to everyone constantly pausing to check if they were being invaded, which gives them some time to prepare (hide in a spot with no cameras facing you, shoot anyone that isn't moving exactly like a civilian.)

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

PancakeTransmission posted:

Watch Dogs does exactly this which led to everyone constantly pausing to check if they were being invaded, which gives them some time to prepare (hide in a spot with no cameras facing you, shoot anyone that isn't moving exactly like a civilian.)
Pausing? Just hit your slow-mo powers every now and again, if another player is in your game it won't slow down :smug:
(I liked baiting out players to the docks/dead ends sitting in a truck and ramming them)

Who What Now posted:

I'd say that augmentations would be allowed but their performance capabilities would be very tightly regulated and watched so as to keep them firmly in the bounds of human capability. In fact wouldn't be inconceivable to have a market specifically for sports-grade augmentations. And with physical capabilities locked down then experience, talent, and skill would become more valuable, rather than relying on someone being some sort of generic freak to get your big break into the sports world.
Wouldn't this bend back around to this?

Mikl posted:

- Would you cut off your arm to get a robo-arm so you can play pro-sports?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

HMS Boromir posted:

It's not even really that lazy. How many multiplayer games allow you to pause?

If not being able to pause prevents you from playing Dark Souls you are doing yourself a disservice.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

kazil posted:

It's not even really that lazy. How many multiplayer games allow you to pause?

If not being able to pause prevents you from playing Dark Souls you are doing yourself a disservice.

Or you own a dog, or have a small child, or need to answer the door, or something else. Not being able to pause is loving rude.

e: If you're playing an explicitly multiplayer game, that's a different thing, but playing Dark Souls isn't really the same thing as a Call of Duty match.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

RyokoTK posted:

Or you own a dog, or have a small child, or need to answer the door, or something else. Not being able to pause is loving rude.

e: If you're playing an explicitly multiplayer game, that's a different thing, but playing Dark Souls isn't really the same thing as a Call of Duty match.

Dark Souls is a multiplayer game. It's not a conventional multiplayer but it is multiplayer. And it's been said that you can quit the game and re-enter it at the same point.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

If you need to do that you can save and quit, which allows you to resume exactly where you were (not counting boss fights), in about 2 seconds.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If you can quit to title at no cost whenever you like, why can't the game just have a pause feature? It's still dumb.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Tiggum posted:

I've never understood these decisions to make games more challenging by making them less convenient. Like limiting the number of times you can save. If you don't have enough time to play all the way through in a small enough number of sessions then you just don't get to finish the game. Or checkpoints being really far apart to force you to do whole sections as one rather than save-scumming, which means that if you have to stop playing for any reason before you reach that checkpoint you have to do a whole bunch of stuff again.
It's meant to heighten tension which save scumming can effectively erase. Yes, I know that it restricts the player's freedom and is often inconvenient but then developers often feel that core parts of the experience are dependent on the player not being given total control of said experience if that creates a more taut, frightening and skill-based experience. For example survival horror games often make this avoiding save-scumming a priority for this reason, while games like Hitman or XCOM explicitly tie difficulty to save restrictions, since a true assassin/field commander shouldn't make any mistakes, maggot!(or at least know how to recover from them). I know this can quickly turn into :qq:MY VISION:qq: wankery about those stupid plebs sullying my carefully crafted masterpiece, but artists often restrict the consumer if they feel that's what it takes to get them to fully digest the work, David Lynch, for example, doesn't allow his DVDs to have chapter stops since he feels watching his movies in chunks is an inferior experience.

Restricting pauses though is too much, even for me.

quote:

Like that's not already the case? I don't understand why people care about stuff like performance-enhancing drugs in sports. Look at the Olympics; If you're from a wealthy country where they have well-funded programs to train and support athletes, you've got a huge advantage over the guy from the poor country who had to work a full-time job on top of training. Why are we pretending this is a fair contest?

You say that, but then poor countries like Ethiopia and Kenya can often compete very well against the big dogs.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

RyokoTK posted:

If you can quit to title at no cost whenever you like, why can't the game just have a pause feature? It's still dumb.

Why doesn't World of Warcraft let you pause?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
XCOM doesn't have any save restrictions tied to difficulty last I checked. Unless playing on Normal or Easy keeps more autosaves or something, but the game has always saved your seed (unless told other wise) and Ironman is completely seperate from difficulty.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

SpookyLizard posted:

XCOM doesn't have any save restrictions tied to difficulty last I checked. Unless playing on Normal or Easy keeps more autosaves or something, but the game has always saved your seed (unless told other wise) and Ironman is completely seperate from difficulty.

Well I kind of count that as an additional tier of difficulty and most of the community treats Ironman classic/Impossible as a distinct, more intense way of playing the game. In the thread over in games most people use the phrase I/C or I/I as the shorthand for 'Hard' mode and also those absurd long-war-impossible runs youtubers like beaglerush do are usually on Ironman.

khwarezm has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Aug 23, 2014

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

kazil posted:

This is silly. When you quit out of Dark Souls, the game (in your world) doesn't go on without you. The only reason to not let you pause the game is because other people are playing with you and, unlike MMOs or multiplayer shooters, this isn't always true.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Basically, pausing is for lame-rear end scrubs who can't handle videogames. 'Oh sorry that you want to put things on hold at your convenience you pansy gently caress. Why don't you go play with a light switch, I think that's more your level?' :smuggo:

Content: I bought Skullgirls because I don't really play fighting games that much and it seems good and I like anime. :buddy: But, in a game that it would actually help to have one, there's no diagram for what button is what kick or punch [There's three of both] and when you turn on the setting to show what buttons you're pressing it doesn't have the icons pop up on them either.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
This whole pausing thing could be avoided by giving Dark Souls a single player mode. The pausing thing is the exact reason I haven't played it and probably won't.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

khwarezm posted:

Well I kind of count that as an additional tier of difficulty and most of the community treats Ironman classic/Impossible as a distinct, more intense way of playing the game. In the thread over in games most people use the phrase I/C or I/I as the shorthand for 'Hard' mode and also those absurd long-war-impossible runs youtubers like beaglerush do are usually on Ironman.

When I first started playing XCOM:EU I didn't Ironman because the game was buggy and had issues with corrupting saves.

Now that it's fixed, I can't imagine NOT playing Ironman.

But yeah Ironman itself adds a whole extra level of difficulty you have a valid point.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

kazil posted:

Yeah that's comparable, good work champ.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Suitaru posted:

Look carefully at the name of the poster he's quoting

loving hell, I missed that and typed out a proper reply and I'm me (and my face is all marked up with bioelectrics).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

2house2fly posted:

This whole pausing thing could be avoided by giving Dark Souls a single player mode. The pausing thing is the exact reason I haven't played it and probably won't.

In the first game, single player is when you go hollow, since that disables all multiplayer, so From probably could have put in a pause menu for that. In DS2 though you can be invaded at any time so pausing wouldn't work out.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

For a related issue, what's the consensus on Dead Rising only having one save slot?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

In the first game, single player is when you go hollow, since that disables all multiplayer, so From probably could have put in a pause menu for that. In DS2 though you can be invaded at any time so pausing wouldn't work out.

They also could've just let the player pause and have it pause the invader's game too, but make it so the invader can't pause the other player's game.

Like, seriously, that's an option. "The other player is paused you can wait or gently caress off to another game."

LoonShia posted:

For a related issue, what's the consensus on Dead Rising only having one save slot?

Same as Metro only have one save slot. Goddamnit.

SpookyLizard has a new favorite as of 19:37 on Aug 23, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm trying out Just Cause 2 for the first time, and holy gently caress the cinematics are loud as hell. I turned the game volume down to a tenth of what it was, and now the gameplay is quiet, but the cinematics are still insanely loud. Do the volume settings seriously not impact the cinematics in that game, or is there another option I'm missing?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Basically, pausing is for lame-rear end scrubs who can't handle videogames. 'Oh sorry that you want to put things on hold at your convenience you pansy gently caress. Why don't you go play with a light switch, I think that's more your level?' :smuggo:

Content: I bought Skullgirls because I don't really play fighting games that much and it seems good and I like anime. :buddy: But, in a game that it would actually help to have one, there's no diagram for what button is what kick or punch [There's three of both] and when you turn on the setting to show what buttons you're pressing it doesn't have the icons pop up on them either.

Japanese fighting games do this for some dumb reason. I couldn't get into Street Fighter IV because instead of A,B,B,X it would say High Punch, Low Punch, Low Punch, High Kick. My brain just couldn't parse it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dark Souls 2 has an offline mode, so it isn't like they couldn't implement a pause system for that. I think a Dead Space system would make more sense. You can pause the game for things like options, load, and save but your inventory screen doesn't pause the game. The lack of a pause function doesn't make a game tougher gameplay wise.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It's weird that fighting games don't just have an option to switch between displaying real inputs vs. whatever they're bound to on your controller/keyboard. It's a bad habit to get into if you ever want to read someone else's combo notation or whatever but it should be pretty much trivial to do (a lot of games display dynamic prompts for the key or button you've bound something to) and obviously there's demand for it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

They also could've just let the player pause and have it pause the invader's game too, but make it so the invader can't pause the other player's game.

Then everyone hits 'pause', for invaders and co-op partners, and wastes everyone's time and in the invader's case, resources. You can't exactly pause Call of Duty when you're online either.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

SpookyLizard posted:

Like, seriously, that's an option. "The other player is paused you can wait or gently caress off to another game."

This is such a hilariously bad idea that I wish it was true. I would do nothing but constantly pause and unpause my game in the middle of fights to throw off invaders. I don't see what the big deal is about needing to pause Dark Souls. I leave it running all the time to do little things you guys are talking about like using the bathroom or letting the dog out. Enemies don't generally wander around the level, so you're perfectly safe to take Fido out for a few minutes. If you're scared about invaders, it takes about 10 seconds total to get to the main menu and back in your game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Professor Wayne posted:

This is such a hilariously bad idea that I wish it was true. I would do nothing but constantly pause and unpause my game in the middle of fights to throw off invaders. I don't see what the big deal is about needing to pause Dark Souls. I leave it running all the time to do little things you guys are talking about like using the bathroom or letting the dog out. Enemies don't generally wander around the level, so you're perfectly safe to take Fido out for a few minutes. If you're scared about invaders, it takes about 10 seconds total to get to the main menu and back in your game.
Hell, if invaders bother you so much, just Alt+F4 out regardless. It's not the best form, but it's not like anyone can stop you. Or just die while afk. It's not like it's going to matter much compared to the thousands of other deaths you rack up.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Professor Wayne posted:

I leave it running all the time to do little things you guys are talking about like using the bathroom or letting the dog out. Enemies don't generally wander around the level, so you're perfectly safe to take Fido out for a few minutes. If you're scared about invaders, it takes about 10 seconds total to get to the main menu and back in your game.

"Doorbell rang while I was fighting this boss, do I quit, die, or ignore the door? :darksouls:"

I know goons loving fall all over themselves to defend Dark Souls (which is why the last thread barred talking about it) but really, sometimes real life intrudes and it would be nice to not be worrying about the game while I'm taking a piss or something. Yes it's a "multiplayer" game but comparing it to Call of Duty or World of Warcraft is loving retarded and disingenuous. It's more like Diablo 3, where if I start a game by myself, it's my instance of the game that other people can join in on. However, you can pause the game in Diablo 3 when you're by yourself and it's great because games should let you loving pause.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

RyokoTK posted:

"Doorbell rang while I was fighting this boss, do I quit, die, or ignore the door? :darksouls:"

I know goons loving fall all over themselves to defend Dark Souls (which is why the last thread barred talking about it) but really, sometimes real life intrudes and it would be nice to not be worrying about the game while I'm taking a piss or something.

God forbid you die in a video game!

fake e: Let alone one which is entirely focused around "you're going to die a ton and constantly."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You can make a game all about dying without mandating that you absolutely cannot pause when real life takes over.