Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Capaldi's veins are doing some good acting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

"I bet you can't even remember where you got that face from!" Holds up mirrored tray with himself perfectly framed.

I think you may have BROKEN the nose that was so firmly on, Moffat.

Oh look gratuitous lesbian kiss.

I was hoping for this

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

drat, talks the robot into killing itself. :stare:

Dark Doctor Who is gonna be good.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Capaldi's veins are doing some good acting

He's an anatomical model wrapped in a flesh-coloured bin bag.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Sighence posted:

drat, talks the robot into killing itself. :stare:

Dark Doctor Who is gonna be good.

Actually, I like the fact that while it's implied that he talked him into killing himself, it was just left at "One of us is lying to ourselves"

There's still a possibility the Doctor threw him out

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Capaldi was just off creating plenty of opportunities for future Big Finish audios.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"I'm not your boyfriend."

:hellyeah:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
loving hell, this episode rips off Blink in such a hamfisted juvenile way that it actually makes me angry, and I'm not even a Who fan. But Capaldi is great

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

"I'm not your boyfriend."

:hellyeah:

Can't wait for the inevitable Tumblr meltdown.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh Matt :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God :qq:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Aww I was hoping for some sort of "that man... is not the Doctor" reveal :(

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
loving hell how much reassurance do these tween fans need to keep watching?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So my general impression here is that this was a great big pile o' shite cobbled together from parts of a vastly superior episode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Smith is selling the hell out of this. :unsmith:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

So my general impression here is that this was a great big pile o' shite cobbled together from parts of a vastly superior episode.

It was blocks of mediocre held together by how excellent Capaldi already is.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

WeAreTheRomans posted:

loving hell how much reassurance do these tween fans need to keep watching?

A metric fuckton, and it's not even just Tweens. I've seen people pushing thirty that can't accept the idea of anyone older than Tennant. It's hilarious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It was blocks of mediocre held together by how excellent Capaldi already is.

I think Jenna Coleman did a really great job too, but the episode was pretty much only held together by the quality of their performances and their excellent chemistry. The episode couldn't seem to understand exactly what it wanted to be.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Is this meant to be a metaphor for Steven Moffat talking to the thread.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What the hell was that snort?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Right, Michelle Gomez is in, I'm down for this. She loving rules.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Yay! River Song Mk. 2!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Whoever that woman turns out to be, I bet it's going to be annoying.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

e: nevermind this is during the "next time" nothing to see here

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ok that wasn't bad at all. Still not feeling the new theme tune.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Really wanted the Tardis to turn out to be the coffee stand in that Glasgow scene.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Semprini posted:

Really wanted the Tardis to turn out to be the coffee stand in that Glasgow scene.

If they'd panned out and it was Buchanan Street, I would have lost my loving mind.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that was all over the place and cringingly bad in places, but really drat good in others. Capaldi is excellent, Coleman seems to have actually developed a character, and they work really well together.

Matt Smith's cameo was brilliant but kind of symptomatic of the wider issue of trying to assuage the fears of fans unsure about having an older man as the Doctor. I hope this episode was an aberration down to attempting to shake off the old and bring in the new.

Edit: And please never, ever, ever again use as terrible a sound effect as was used in the Doctor/Vastra mental link scene :cripes:

Crazy Man
Mar 12, 2006

The laws of sanity are mine, and they will obey me!
Is it just me, or was there a smidge of Withnail in Capaldi....especially in the beginning?

Demands a rewatch, particularly since my stream got hosed halfway through, so I missed the time from when Clara got kidnapped until the Doctor asks the Half Face man what he thought of the view. And when the dinosaur exploded.

Not sure about the clock vortex, but the rest of the titles *look* good. As far a the sound goes, not sure about the extra high pitch.

Crazy Man fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 23, 2014

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
I'm really not sure what to make of most of that. It was a bit of a mess. Gonna have to watch it again.

Capaldi is glorious as expected, of course.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: And please never, ever, ever again use as terrible a sound effect as was used in the Doctor/Vastra mental link scene :cripes:

Hey, it's been a staple of many 50 year old franchises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh0VF6s-UYU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Genetic Toaster posted:

Yay! River Song Mk. 2!

That actress has played a fair few unbalanced characters on various British TV things (Green wing is the main thing I know her from), so that may be colouring my perception, but I got the impression she is more a doctor stalker than actually involved with him.

I thought that episode was okay. Story wasnt great (but then post-regeneration stories in nuwho seem to tend to be weak, partly because they feel like they need to spend a lot of time reassuring people that the new doctor is still the doctor) but Jenna Coleman and Capaldi have really good on screen chemistry (which I never really thought she had with smith) and there were a lot of good lines at least. Opening credits were pish too. Oh, and the CGI was pretty glaring at the start, but if you cant put up with BBC-budget special effects you wouldnt be watching Who to begin with.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Not watched it since before Amy left (:(), but thought I'd pop in for Capaldi and see how it is.

The show is loving poo poo. But Capaldi is absolutely brilliant and I might keep watching just for him.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I really enjoyed that, some of you guys seems really hard to please. I thought Capaldi was fantastic and there were quite a few great lines from him, his interplay with Clara was good too. The Smith cameo was also fantastic, ever since that got spoiled during the filming, I was hoping it would also show Smith and not just be audio, and thankfully it made for a great scene.

There were way more positives coming out of that episode than the few negatives, i.e. strangely gigantic Tyrannosaur and the "bonk" sound effect when the Doctor linked to Vastra. The Paternoster didn't bring much to the table. If they go back to those times again, it better feature Jago and Litefoot. :argh:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rest assured that the rest of the leaked episodes are just as poo poo guys. Capaldi is awesome though.

In the original leaked script, by the way, Jenny is full nude during the painting scene.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

We seem to be ignoring the most heinous poo poo this episode pulled, and that is casting Bronn as a character with no dialogue. Jerome Flynn. :smith:

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
gently caress the haters, that was the most fun I've had watching an episode since The End of Time--which was also a mess, but it turns out, having a Doctor that you can enjoy watching instead of wanting to punch in the face really does make all the difference. (Sorry, Matt Smith, I tried. :( )

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Count me in as one of those who is very tired of the repeated returns to Vasta/Jenny/Strax. They worked in very small doses once a season or so but there was far too much of them in this, which dilutes the scenes with them that actually DO work well, like Vastra having a go at Clara.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
I liked Capaldi and Coleman but everything else was dogshit.I'm still hopeful for the series though,as long as the victorian trio never appear again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
In summation: :itwaspoo:

Jerusalem posted:

That's an awfully big T-Rex

About twenty times larger than real ones, as it happens. It'd be like having a cow the same size as Christ the Redeemer.

The_Doctor posted:

Comedy medical exam. Hilarious.

Don't forget that this episode was nearly twice as long as a normal episode because this kind of stuff was just too important to cut

Jerusalem posted:

BOINK!

Crazy Man posted:

Not sure about the clock vortex, but the rest of the titles *look* good. As far a the sound goes, not sure about the extra high pitch.

No they don't, the TARDIS looks like My First Maya Box

• Locked thread