Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Drifter posted:

I know you just wanted to post that photo and just wordbarfed the stuff surrounding it, but do you honestly think ropekid or the rest of Obsidian would do that to their product?

I don't know I'm not on the team :v: (bad use of wordbarf btw)

Phrased another way: How much did you accommodate backers who wanted to put stupid poo poo in the game? If someone said "I want my people to be ninja turtles or else I chargeback" what would the response be? Is there going to be a wild wasteland-esque setting for PoE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
As far as I can tell, most people who have backed games at the "put a thing in the game" tier haven't really insisted on shoehorning in stupid poo poo, or at the very least the game devs changed it a bit to make it more subtle.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
The inn and the innkeeper in the beta are from a backer and they both fit in fine.

You can read through the item descriptions in the game files and find some of the backer items, I looked through a few and they don't seem too too bad. Like, innocuous little stories in the item descriptions.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Mortimer posted:

Are the kickstarter "add me to the game" rewards going to feel as terrible as they do in other games?

I really don't want to see "equestria's shoppe" in PoE

Haha what the hell is this game

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/lUbxWhI.jpg

Yeah, I strongly doubt Obsidian is gonna let backers put goony unkempt slobs and strippers in cheap halloween costumes into PoE

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Krowley posted:

Haha what the hell is this game

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/lUbxWhI.jpg

Yeah, I strongly doubt Obsidian is gonna let backers put goony unkempt slobs and strippers in cheap halloween costumes into PoE

Well hello to you too, Mrs. Blow Up Doll Mouth.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I suppose in a game called "Quest for Infamy" that should be expected.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
That is a wacky/humorous Quest for Glory clone, though. Hardly comparable to something like Pillars of Eternity.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, but overall the forums have actually been somewhat a nice place to visit. Lots of great criticism, albeit about half of it is from Sensuki alone, and once explanations are provided most people critiquing the game tend to simmer down.

A large portion of people on RPGcodex seem like the game has personally offended them by merely existing in a state that isn't 100 percent to their liking and would burn ropekid in effigy if going outside to burn things wasn't such a scary prospect.

Cheers. I'll try to do a suggestion video a day or so.

The codex thread actually has a lot of great posts, but it also has a large user base and not everyone there likes real time with pause, the infinity engine games or rope kid's design philosophy. The thread is new so these people are doing drive by "haha told u so" posts. I have been noting all the stuff on there of use and putting it in my pe.txt so it doesn't get missed.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I suspect that a lot of the difficulty in game design is being able to filter between feedback that is constructive within the context of the game's core design (e.g., "The real time with pause combat feels slow, enemies should attack faster, etc.") and feedback that is fundamentally opposed to elements of the game's core design (e.g., "I dislike real time with pause combat on general principles"). Both of them can masquerade as eachother, especially if it's difficult for testers to pinpoint precisely what it is that feels off about a particular mechanic. I tend to instinctively dislike attributes, for example, but this is principally a result of their poor implementations in other RPGs. Even if the implementation of them is good in PoE, I may be inclined to say something like, "Attributes are bad - don't include them!" as a consequence if something feels "off" about the attributes for me without me being able to properly articulate why that is.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Gah.

I finished the cultist area. Hit the are transition out on my way back to town and ran into an endless transition load. No save possible, and hadn't saved at all this run to avoid the many issues.

Anyone know if the cultist/nobleman's daughter quest is pretty much the end of the beta?

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Vermain posted:

Even if the implementation of them is good in PoE, I may be inclined to say something like, "Attributes are bad - don't include them!" as a consequence if something feels "off" about the attributes for me without me being able to properly articulate why that is.

Attributes in PE are currently imbalanced - int and might are strong, con is ok, dex gives less dps per point than might and might also gives healing. Perception and resolve can pretty much be dumped to oblivion.

Int is an impactful attribute for many classes that rely on specific aoes or durations
Con is impactful for tanks

Might soooorta is impactful, more for wizards lol because of aoe spells, doesn't actually give much for weapon attacks in comparison

The max accuracy you get from dex is less than what some classes get at 1st level as a class bonus, complete opposite of d&d which might not be a good thing

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Airfoil posted:

Gah.

I finished the cultist area. Hit the are transition out on my way back to town and ran into an endless transition load. No save possible, and hadn't saved at all this run to avoid the many issues.

Anyone know if the cultist/nobleman's daughter quest is pretty much the end of the beta?

Well after doing that one and the other areas around there, that's pretty much it, yes.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I'm amazed people have such perfect knowledge of balancing after playing one area of the game for three days.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Sensuki posted:

The max accuracy you get from dex is less than what some classes get at 1st level as a class bonus, complete opposite of d&d which might not be a good thing

This isn't relevant to whether dex is good or not.

Dexterity will convert grazes (50% damage) into hits and hits into critical hits. If all class bonuses were reduced by 5, 10, or a 100, while enemy defenses were reduced by the same amount, Dexterity would function exactly the same. When you are rolling a limited range, in this case 1-100, the value of bonuses should be compared to the size of the roll, not the size of other bonuses.

Dexterity also improves the duration of debuffs, so we can't directly compare it to strength. Grazed status effects last half as long, critical hits last 50% longer.

Edit: 20 accuracy should just shift 20% of your attacks from 50% to 100% effect and 20% of your attacks from 100% to 150% effect. Considering how anemic grazes are against heavily armored foes, this seems pretty good.

It's also multiplicative with strength and intellect, so if we loving love spreadsheets and min/maxing we can solve for a theoretical ideal equilibrium.

Hint: it won't be dumping Dexterity.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 23, 2014

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
There are three types of ranged weapons in this game: bows, crossbows & guns, right? I guess bows are supposed to be the DPS option, while guns are good for spiking, but what are crossbows for?

Captain Concept
Aug 23, 2014
First of all, first post here. Hello :)

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Ain't no party like a skeleton party!

True that! http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/39725184001973576/6DB61273E2C736D075D219C4ECA00C314A70CEFC/ (Screenshots, Steam Library, Pillars of Eternity)

verybad posted:

There are three types of ranged weapons in this game: bows, crossbows & guns, right? I guess bows are supposed to be the DPS option, while guns are good for spiking, but what are crossbows for?

Wands too, or is it locked to "Blast"? (i.e. class-locked)

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Has there been any more info about custom portraits? Because...
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HollywoodSoul

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

rzal posted:

I think right now you have to do it manually by dropping the images (one for the large version of the portrait and one for the small version) in the portrait folder.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Just tried it and it works fine

You want the big picture to be 210x330px with a "_lg" at the end of the filename, and the small one to be 76x96px with a "_sm", both PNGs. You just drop it into the directory.

There's only 31 portraits in there right now covering both sexes. I imagine there'll be plenty of portrait packs from day one, maybe if there's Steam workshop support it would handle that easily.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

rzal posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo. This is amazing. I'm so going to use this, albeit it will be in Wastelands 2 and probably not PoE.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I do believe I just found a new avatar...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Just going to make sure everyone has seen these as far as portraits go

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Just going to make sure everyone has seen these as far as portraits go

They'll be stretched out on PoE, of course, but these are really cool. Thanks.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Airfoil posted:

They'll be stretched out on PoE, of course, but these are really cool. Thanks.

You'd probably want to quickly resize them beforehand, and there wouldn't be that much quality lost.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Drifter posted:

You'd probably want to quickly resize them beforehand, and there wouldn't be that much quality lost.

I think aspect ratio will end up being a bigger problem than resolution, but I'll try it later.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
If anyone is interesting in the challenge running a solo character then you can enable the party management screen as follows.
Open the console. Press ¬. You should get a prompt in the top left hand corner saying press enter to input a command. You have to do this for each command.
Enter EnablePartyManager.
Enter ManageParty

Output from commands appears in the combat log. You can search for commands by typing find. No much appears to work though. Typing Rest lets you rest without using up a camping supply and in any location.

Scorchy posted:

There's only 31 portraits in there right now covering both sexes. I imagine there'll be plenty of portrait packs from day one, maybe if there's Steam workshop support it would handle that easily.

And all of them are white (and blue) people. No ocean folk at all.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 23, 2014

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Hank Morgan posted:

And all of them are white (and blue) people. No Savannah folk at all.

Yeah, I was at my friend's earlier and he made black guy. It was slightly weird that there were literally no appropriate portraits.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah, I was at my friend's earlier and he made black guy. It was slightly weird that there were literally no appropriate portraits.

I'm just hoping the White that Wends has some representation.

Captain Concept
Aug 23, 2014

Hank Morgan posted:

If anyone is interesting in the challenge running a solo character then you can enable the party management screen as follows.
Open the console. Press ¬. You should get a prompt in the top left hand corner saying press enter to input a command. You have to do this for each command.
Enter EnablePartyManager.
Enter ManageParty

Output from commands appears in the combat log. You can search for commands by typing find. No much appears to work though. Typing Rest lets you rest without using up a camping supply and in any location.

Yep, tried it, thanks :D gonna experiment more with that.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Doing that set of commands gets you past the frozen character bug without risking saving and reloading a bugged game file as well.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012

verybad posted:

Captain Concept posted:

Wands too, or is it locked to "Blast"? (i.e. class-locked)
Bows are for fast and light attacks while guns for slow and heavy ones. Crossbows offer the middle ground. Rods/wands/scepters are for wizards but I wonder how much the BB wizard is built to optimize their usages. At least, I don't find his Blast too effective.

AXE COP posted:

I'm amazed people have such perfect knowledge of balancing after playing one area of the game for three days.
I'm still wondering if Interrupt system is properly evaluated. My BB Priest sometimes or more often fail to carry my command and I suspect it's because her spell was interrupted. There are even enemies who have got AoD attack which efficiently interrupt ability usages of the party. I keep giving her ranged weapons but she tends to lose them due to the bug. So, I'm not sure. If the enemy AI begins to hit spell casters with ranged weapons, it would give me quite a trouble. In fact, according to rope kid, their internal testers seem to find some meaning in giving points to Perception of ranged characters. Even before reading this article, the devs repeatedly implied that they had tested the system on paper and I feel some factors don't seem to be well translated into players' experiences in the backer beta.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Scorchy posted:

The inn and the innkeeper in the beta are from a backer and they both fit in fine.

You can read through the item descriptions in the game files and find some of the backer items, I looked through a few and they don't seem too too bad. Like, innocuous little stories in the item descriptions.
IIRC the devs were quite happy with the backer weapons, esp the variety.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013
The additem command in the console still works so if you want to change weapons of your party you can do it with the commands or add lost items
e.g:
additem pistol_fine 1
additem plate_armor_fine 1
additem helm_frog 1

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

prometheus12345 posted:

additem helm_frog 1

Yesssss

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

prometheus12345 posted:

additem helm_frog 1
:getin:

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

prometheus12345 posted:

The additem command in the console still works so if you want to change weapons of your party you can do it with the commands or add lost items
e.g:
additem pistol_fine 1
additem plate_armor_fine 1
additem helm_frog 1
Is there a list of plot items? Although i'm not sure adding them back in like this would have the desires effect, once they vanish.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Weren't there supposed to be squid-headed godlikes?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Weren't there supposed to be squid-headed godlikes?

It feels like there should be way more godlike types to me.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

prometheus12345 posted:

additem helm_frog 1

Aww now I'm really sad that I can't get the console to appear. Might have something to do with my weird Finnish/Swedish keyboard layout. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

Frungy! posted:

Aww now I'm really sad that I can't get the console to appear. Might have something to do with my weird Finnish/Swedish keyboard layout. :smith:

You can change the key for the console in the controls menu.

• Locked thread