Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I'm taking another look at our monitoring tools, and we really have a disparate jumble of stuff. The main thing we use is cacti for our network gear, but then lots of vendor specific tools as well. I am looking at finally setting up nagios to try to get an all in one monitoring solution for nearly everything. Since I am starting from scratch, I might as well do it right from the beginning. Do you guys monitor bandwidth utilization of each individual switchport, or just WAN links and switch uplinks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aaronp
Jul 7, 2002

adorai posted:

I'm taking another look at our monitoring tools, and we really have a disparate jumble of stuff. The main thing we use is cacti for our network gear, but then lots of vendor specific tools as well. I am looking at finally setting up nagios to try to get an all in one monitoring solution for nearly everything. Since I am starting from scratch, I might as well do it right from the beginning. Do you guys monitor bandwidth utilization of each individual switchport, or just WAN links and switch uplinks?

We still use Cacti for monitoring WAN links and our remote sites along with network weathermap, NFSen for traffic details, and nagios for hardware status checks. There are some neat plugins for Nagios that work to track bandwidth use on every port (http://www.tontonitch.com/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Nagios+plugins+-+interfacetable_v3t) but we like deeper insight into the traffic so we don't just stick with it alone.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

CLAM DOWN posted:

Crossposting from the Enterprise Windows thread because I'm pulling my hair out on this one: Any of you used SSL certificates to encrypt a SQL Server 2012/2014 connection?

Yes, though 99% of the time it's unnecessary. What's up?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Misogynist posted:

Anyone have a preferred SSH client app for iPhone these days?
Panic makes an iOS SSH client:

http://panic.com/prompt/

I haven't ever used it personally, but I've used and really like their other software (Transmit, Coda), so it's probably worth a look.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
edit: Whoops spoke too soon, they're only hiring 3rd party contractors, not direct employees

Sepist fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 25, 2014

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

keseph posted:

Yes, though 99% of the time it's unnecessary. What's up?

Got an open case with MS Premier now, but the problem is that SQL Server does not recognize a valid cert in Windows, the drop-down menu is empty. A common cause for this is a mismatched CN (must be hostname or FQDN) or incorrect usage rights, but everything is valid on the cert. I can also select the cert for RDP, so I know Windows can see it, but for some reason SQL Server cannot.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

CLAM DOWN posted:

Got an open case with MS Premier now, but the problem is that SQL Server does not recognize a valid cert in Windows, the drop-down menu is empty. A common cause for this is a mismatched CN (must be hostname or FQDN) or incorrect usage rights, but everything is valid on the cert. I can also select the cert for RDP, so I know Windows can see it, but for some reason SQL Server cannot.

And you're sure you've imported the cert into the right cert store for the right account and using the right version of client tools for the server? I've also had problems with the dialog boxes being empty when running MMC remotely (easy to show with Startup Type).
If you don't specifically need to protect against MITM, the self-signed cert SQL always provisions at startup may be good enough for you, too. If you're using Windows auth with correctly setup SPNs, you'll get MITM protection anyway even without a validated cert.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

keseph posted:

And you're sure you've imported the cert into the right cert store for the right account and using the right version of client tools for the server? I've also had problems with the dialog boxes being empty when running MMC remotely (easy to show with Startup Type).
If you don't specifically need to protect against MITM, the self-signed cert SQL always provisions at startup may be good enough for you, too. If you're using Windows auth with correctly setup SPNs, you'll get MITM protection anyway even without a validated cert.

Yup, checked the store, I've tried multiple locations too (computer account, service account, logged in as service account and put in personal store, etc). Entire trust chain is valid, etc. This system is not on AD and using all local accounts, with mixed authentication.

I have a support case open so we'll see what they say. Definitely get what you're saying but this was a customer requirement I've been told to implement, I'd personally probably prefer to use IPSEC myself.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

NippleFloss posted:

Find jobs at companies that aren't terrible? Take time off when you want because it's part of your compensation and if they don't let you take it then they are stealing from you?

Pretty much this. I just took the last 7 business days off and didn't once check my email or get a phone call about stuff at work. The other guys on our team are more than capable of taking care of things while I'm gone. I took the kids to the beach and had a blast.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm a one man show so I don't even bother taking time off for myself. I'm about to hit the cap though so I have to burn some hours. I'm considering making it a medical day and catching up with some doctor visits since that's the only time my company seems to leave me alone.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Been on the lookout for professional services/consulting type gigs, and found out about a company moving their HQ from San Diego to Dallas. I've got my in person interview coming up and the HR contact told me expect salary of 35-40k for a job that has 75%+ travel.

I'm having a hard time believing that's a serious answer, so I will see what the actual consultants have to say. My initial reaction is that is way, WAY low, even for Texas. I am going through culture shock at my current job, but that salary range has to be well below market rate.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

air- posted:

Been on the lookout for professional services/consulting type gigs, and found out about a company moving their HQ from San Diego to Dallas. I've got my in person interview coming up and the HR contact told me expect salary of 35-40k for a job that has 75%+ travel.

I'm having a hard time believing that's a serious answer, so I will see what the actual consultants have to say. My initial reaction is that is way, WAY low, even for Texas. I am going through culture shock at my current job, but that salary range has to be well below market rate.

Consulting for what? Printer installation or some Linux HA Application?

It does sound low but we need more details...

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Consulting for what? Printer installation or some Linux HA Application?

It does sound low but we need more details...

Good point, I'll paste the job posting.

quote:

This position reports to the Consulting Services Team Lead and is responsible for the implementation of Enterprise Management Software for recreation based organizations. The Associate Project Consultant is responsible for all tasks associated with the delivery of multiple simultaneous projects. The position works directly with our clients both remotely and on site throughout North America.

Job description:

Participate in pre project planning

Conduct functional planning sessions with project stakeholders

Implement software solutions with customers that satisfy their business needs

Coordinate all day-to-day details for implementations

Train end-users and administrators to use our software effectively

Work with:

Project Manager to execute implementations according to plan

Technical Analysts to coordinate functional requirements with deliverables

Support Analysts to facilitate handoff as project closes

Skills & Requirements
Qualifications:

Undergraduate degree or technical diploma

Business experience, preferably in one or more of these sectors: Government, Parks and Recreation, Education, Not for Profit, Fitness, Church, and/or other community agencies

Customer-facing implementation experience is highly preferred and a definite asset

Technical aptitude and interest • Project management experience is an advantage

Attributes:

Polished and professional approach

Excellent and demonstrable problem solving skills

Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to quickly establish solid relationships with clients

Strong presentation and report-writing skills

Quick to adapt to new environments and able to grasp complex business processes

Ability to manage expectations, facilitation skills and a knack for turning conflict into positive outcomes

Strong entrepreneurial spirit and a willingness to do what it takes to get the job done

A keen eye for opportunity, both for our company and our customers

Willing and able to travel up to 75% throughout North America

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dallas is a healthy IT market and I would expect a market rate for a job there. Obviously without a high COL bump, but still, a healthy salary would be expected.

Is this for Toyota?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It's a rather vague posting. Yes, you need to have "strong troubleshooting skills" but what are you troubleshooting? A bunch of beep codes or are you looking at java logs?

If anything, I'd say at least $45k/y+ and they better be putting you in a decent hotel and all expenses paid.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
The conspicuous lack of "x years of experience required" definitely seems to point to them looking for people right out of school (or close) or people in transition that might be a bit more desperate. If they are saying $35-40, that's low for pretty much any civilized market. Not sure of your experience level, but if you are in the earlier stages of your career it might be a good opp.

If you're more seasoned and have a much higher number, maybe you can get close to where you need by interviewing well.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks everyone, glad to know I'm not being unreasonable.

Dark Helmut posted:

The conspicuous lack of "x years of experience required" definitely seems to point to them looking for people right out of school (or close) or people in transition that might be a bit more desperate. If they are saying $35-40, that's low for pretty much any civilized market. Not sure of your experience level, but if you are in the earlier stages of your career it might be a good opp.

If you're more seasoned and have a much higher number, maybe you can get close to where you need by interviewing well.

That's a big point that I'm going to clarify as well when I do go in face to face tomorrow.

I've got about a year of applicable experience (I am a consultant for a SaaS company right now) and otherwise 1.5 years in helpdesk/dba type stuff. Starting rate for where I am now varied between 50k-65k, and that's why I was initially surprised.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pretty sure you need the SAN field populated too, regardless of whether or not it's actually a SAN cert.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Richard Noggin posted:

Pretty sure you need the SAN field populated too, regardless of whether or not it's actually a SAN cert.

Tried generating the cert a couple different ways with san&dns=hostname.fqdn, hostname, no change. Has digital signature and key enchipherment rights, and server authentication as extended usage, 2048 bit and nothing else non-standard. Pretty loving weird.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

What sort of info is out there for staffing levels on a helpdesk? I'm currently working on a helpdsk that handles about 300 tickets a day split between phones and emails. We support 10,000 users with about 16,000 devices. I was curious what sort of numbers we should have for staff compared to how many we do have.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

CLAM DOWN posted:

Tried generating the cert a couple different ways with san&dns=hostname.fqdn, hostname, no change. Has digital signature and key enchipherment rights, and server authentication as extended usage, 2048 bit and nothing else non-standard. Pretty loving weird.

I know I had a lot of trouble getting ours to work. I'm assuming the cert meets the requirements from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189067(v=sql.105).aspx

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Richard Noggin posted:

I know I had a lot of trouble getting ours to work. I'm assuming the cert meets the requirements from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189067(v=sql.105).aspx

Definitely, I have that article printed beside me right now actually. The premier support rep is scheduled to call me in about an hour so we'll what he says, last time we talked yesterday his exact words were "that's very weird, sir!" :stare:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

jim truds posted:

What sort of info is out there for staffing levels on a helpdesk? I'm currently working on a helpdsk that handles about 300 tickets a day split between phones and emails. We support 10,000 users with about 16,000 devices. I was curious what sort of numbers we should have for staff compared to how many we do have.
I expect my staff to handle around 20-25 tickets a day, give or take depending on volume and difficulty.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jim truds posted:

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule. For a company of our size we have a relatively small IT department, but over half of our end users are engineers and aren't very needy when it comes to IT help.

Personally I think the organization should set certain SLA standards, and then evaluate the work load. If you're not meeting SLA you need more staff. There are tons of blogs and articles that say 400 employees = 1 helpdesk and .5 admins or some poo poo, but really though, every environment is different.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

skipdogg posted:

but over half of our end users are engineers and aren't very needy when it comes to IT help.

They might not be needy, but engineers are sneaky as gently caress.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

skipdogg posted:

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule. For a company of our size we have a relatively small IT department, but over half of our end users are engineers and aren't very needy when it comes to IT help.

Personally I think the organization should set certain SLA standards, and then evaluate the work load. If you're not meeting SLA you need more staff. There are tons of blogs and articles that say 400 employees = 1 helpdesk and .5 admins or some poo poo, but really though, every environment is different.

Yeah, comparatively our users are not IT inclined. Mostly sales guys and service technicians who are very good at security systems but pure poo poo at anything else. We currently have 9 people handling those calls so yeah, it's pretty rough.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah they are. They hate our corporate VPN solution and I'm almost sure they built their own OpenVPN server on a network they control and are using it. I can't be sure though, and I'm not going to start some poo poo with them.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

skipdogg posted:

If you're not meeting SLA you need more staff.

Or you need more qualified staff, or more boundaries around what constitutes a "supportable incident", or more automation, or, or, or. Understanding WHY you're not meeting your SLA is the correct next step.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah, I didn't want to go down the entire rabbit hole, there's lots of things to look at. End user training, self service options, process improvements, blah blah blah

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey, we don't want to bug you when you have passwords to reset and printers to un-jam. Just give us local admin and we'll gently caress everything uptake care of ourselves! :downs:

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.

Richard Noggin posted:

Or you need more qualified staff, or more boundaries around what constitutes a "supportable incident", or more automation, or, or, or. Understanding WHY you're not meeting your SLA is the correct next step.

This. We have had a lot of complaints about how things are too busy for department X, but you look at the structure and processes and you can easily identify a handful of problems that head count is just not going to resolve.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yesterday I asked two senior sys admins to figure out what we need for a particular environment, get quotes, and buy it. They seemed confused by this, in a way that told me they thought it was beneath them. I pressed a little bit and one of them stated that they haven't done that in a long time.

Am I living my life backwards? I thought that was a more senior task, being able to identify what's needed for a project, and then run with it without any further intervention. Their reactions were as though I'd just asked them to man the helpdesk for a little bit.

Is buying stuff now a job for your newest sys admin or something?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Nope... that's strange. I always spec and buy the equipment I need so I know it's done right.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Mom, can't we just use the cloooooud?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yesterday I asked two senior sys admins to figure out what we need for a particular environment, get quotes, and buy it. They seemed confused by this, in a way that told me they thought it was beneath them. I pressed a little bit and one of them stated that they haven't done that in a long time.

Am I living my life backwards? I thought that was a more senior task, being able to identify what's needed for a project, and then run with it without any further intervention. Their reactions were as though I'd just asked them to man the helpdesk for a little bit.

Is buying stuff now a job for your newest sys admin or something?

This is probably because they have no idea how to do any of that stuff.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's the environment? I bet we could spec it out really quick :smug:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

NippleFloss posted:

And that shouldn't imply anything bad about them. I've spent nearly my entire career in the large enterprise. Every company I've worked for has had a team of people who deal with the money and handle getting quotes and actually paying for things. The architects and senior engineers in these companies only spec out new systems and then hand it off to procurement to get quotes. I haven't had to actually talk to a salesperson in the past decade.

If someone asked me to buy hardware I'd give them a deer-in-the-headlights stare because I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

NippleFloss posted:

Sounds like work

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

HatfulOfHollow posted:

And that shouldn't imply anything bad about them. I've spent nearly my entire career in the large enterprise. Every company I've worked for has had a team of people who deal with the money and handle getting quotes and actually paying for things. The architects and senior engineers in these companies only spec out new systems and then hand it off to procurement to get quotes. I haven't had to actually talk to a salesperson in the past decade.

If someone asked me to buy hardware I'd give them a deer-in-the-headlights stare because I wouldn't even know where to begin.

That's probably the exception, and not the norm. Most companies aren't large enough to justify the expense for dedicated architects so sysadmins often pull double duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Edit: Wrong thread!

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 26, 2014