Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
This show is basically that Bjork "Bachelorette" video where events just keep replaying themselves in stupider and stupider ways, except drawn out over the course of a decade instead of three minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

This whole conversation with Vastra is stupid and annoying but I can't place why.

"You just saw someone you had a strong emotional connection with change into a completely different person who hardly recognizes you and you are upset by this. HOW DARE YOU?!" -Vastra

Then it turned out that the melodrama was actually "lol secret test of character"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

"You just saw someone you had a strong emotional connection with change into a completely different person who hardly recognizes you and you are upset by this. HOW DARE YOU?!" -Vastra

Then it turned out that the melodrama was actually "lol secret test of character"

Well it's also kinda dripping with you are a woman and you are obsessed with a dashing young man. You are the worst! I could see that for Amy but Clara is a bit different. She KNOWS the Doctor can change

Also, yah stupid secret character test.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
I hope that when Sue White reveals herself as the Master she puts in Delgado's little beard.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The first 30 minutes of this episode is the dumbest poo poo ever, but the quality suddenly spikes after the dinosaur blows the gently caress up.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The new intro and theme and own, gently caress the haters indeed.
This episode has felt really exposition heavy which is a given since it's the first episode of the new season, but drat.

Capaldi has been loving BRILLIANT though.(i do wish he was swearing constantly though)

Psybro
May 12, 2002
That was unbelievably loving boring and just really poo poo.

How was that the same guy who wrote the Eleventh Hour? Any sense of fun or intrigue was completely stripped out of it. All I liked was a couple of Capaldi's lines and I can't even remember them now.

So glad I didn't part with 9 quid to watch that in a cinema when there's a perfectly serviceable How To Train Your Dragon 2 on next door.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:shobon: I liked the whole chapter,from the intro to the end. And Capaldi was amazing.

Should I pretend I hated something to be a cool goon?

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Desperado Bones posted:

Should I pretend I hated something to be a cool goon?

Give me your badge. You're making me do this.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Psybro posted:

Give me your badge. You're making me do this.

It won't happen again,I promise! :cry:

On topic, surprisingly, I liked Clara this time. I think she was one of many factors why I didn't enjoy that last season.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, I thought Clara was a real drag last season but she's finally being written as an interesting person with flaws and desires. It's great!

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

Is there anywhere online that will be hosting this episode any time soon? I'm in Canada which is already making things difficult to find online unfortunately. I worked until 6 and couldn't get back in time to see the whole episode, and the satellite crapped out for about 15 minutes around the end of the episode. It's back on now but I'm not looking forward to the gap.

Unless the weather knocks out the satellite again I should be able to see episode 2 just fine after I'm done recording it.

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

Mooseontheloose posted:

Well it's also kinda dripping with you are a woman and you are obsessed with a dashing young man. You are the worst! I could see that for Amy but Clara is a bit different. She KNOWS the Doctor can change

Also, yah stupid secret character test.

It also forgot that Clara just watched the Doctor age up a few hundred years on Trenzalore, then revert back to being the youngish looking Doctor she remembered and suddenly turn into a different person. It was weird that no one thought to spell out how regeneration works for her.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Capaldi owned, Coleman owned for the first time in the series, and the last ten minutes after the adventure was over was fantastic.

And then Matt Smith showed up (I STILL MISS YOU MATT SMITH) :dance:

Sure, there were issues but I have hope.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Hmm. I'm normally against the grain when it comes to Goon Opinions about Dr Who episodes, but this one left me pretty cold. The antagonist was weak (no amount of "This sounds familiar!" excuses that they have done the plot before), the fight at the end was so tightly shot that it was hard to really feel what was going on, and I'm not really sold on Capaldi. Doesn't help that I had a lot of trouble understanding him.

Clara's reaction through the episode made sense to me. I don't care how much you're sat down and explained regeneration (or even if you see it happening!), it's going to be really brain-loving.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

So, yeah, there was some strange writing/directing. The slapstick bits in particular seemed out of place. I'm worried about the drat doctor, I don't need a slide whistle when he passes out.

The new doctor is fantastic, though, and I loved the vibe in the restaurant. I particularly enjoyed the doctor's consternation when he realized that he'd fallen for a "vanity trap." I got the impression that he was kicking himself for walking into yet another one of those.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
BIG SEXY WOMAN!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What did everyone think of the new TARDIS interior, by the way? I like the little nods to the roundels and to the movie console room, with the wingback chair and little library area.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Never change Tumblr, never change.

Yeah, I'm not sold at all on the new opening.

As far as this episode, I still prefer the workprint. That at least had music from the Dark Knight, much funnier CGI, and no stupid sound effects.

EDIT: I do like the console room. I do not know why, but I do like it.

PassTheRemote fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 24, 2014

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

loving :laffo:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If they're long-term changes, I'm okay with the new theme and TARDIS. I didn't hate the episode compared to a lot of stuff from the last series, but it took a while to get into it, and I hope that it's not an indication of how the rest of the series will be.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I like the Capaldi/Coleman dynamic but that episode was REALLY uneven.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Moffat has serious tone and pacing issues, but luckily the next four (including another Moffat) are much, much better at this.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Vastra and Jenny were exceptionally awful in this episode, I usually love watching them but here they kept mentioning marriage and how much they love eachother and blah blah... it was getting really repetitive.

I think I really liked everything that didn't focus on them in the episode, the new TARDIS interior is comfy is gently caress too.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The start of this episode was really boring. It slowly picked up after 30 minutes or so. The highlight was the skin balloon. I wish they would stop using Vastra and Jenny so much.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
This episode felt to me like it might've been a 50-minute episodes, then Moffat was told they could show it in a theater again if he made it a bit longer. It explains why the first 20+ minutes are so weak.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Actually, it seemed like he wrote this as a first draft in one sit-down. "Alright, what's a good hook? Dinosaur in Victorian London!" And tried to feel the plot out from there, clumsily transforming the focus as he worked his way to the end.

This could have been a fantastic episode. Really, there were some very good ideas, but it screams "oh poo poo, episode's due tomorrow, RedBull time".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Pinwiz11 posted:

And then Matt Smith showed up (I STILL MISS YOU MATT SMITH) :dance:

It's kind of weird watching it without him. I've been watching since Tennant, so I've experienced a regeneration before, but Matt Smith was my Doctor, and will probably remain my favorite for a long time. It's going to be strange to sit down every week and not get Matt Smith being a crazy person for an hour.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
Few thoughts.

1. Is reusing an alien threat from 6 seasons ago once really that big a deal? I mean, it makes sense that if the design of the droids for one ship was flawed enough to resort to cannibalizing people, that wouldn't be an isolated incident.

2. The use of Vastra was pretty necessary here. They needed people that know The Doctor and Clara to help guide her through it. The only people that fit the bill is Vastra's crew. Yes, this is their 5th episode, but at least they are more interesting than Mickey and Jackie (no offense to them)

3. Yeah, they were a big hamhanded with the Vastra/Jenny stuff, but I do know people that were honestly upset by how little a couple they were made before. That they never even kissed. Could have pulled back on the repeating that they are married so often though.

4. Yeah,that sound effect was awful :p

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

VBane posted:

2. The use of Vastra was pretty necessary here. They needed people that know The Doctor and Clara to help guide her through it. The only people that fit the bill is Vastra's crew. Yes, this is their 5th episode, but at least they are more interesting than Mickey and Jackie (no offense to them)

3. Yeah, they were a big hamhanded with the Vastra/Jenny stuff, but I do know people that were honestly upset by how little a couple they were made before. That they never even kissed. Could have pulled back on the repeating that they are married so often though.

well I know I personally just don't like Reptilian Anachronistic Ninja Who Is Secretly The Real Sherlock Holmes (And Overly Cockney Assistant). The whole general idea of those characters.

Strax is okay but in very very small doses.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

VBane posted:

I said it before, but UNIT and Kate Stewart might've been the only other option. And between them, Vastra's probably the better choice in terms of actually guiding her through it; Kate probably would've been quite hard on her and just forced her on-task until the Doctor proved himself to her anyway.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

VBane posted:

Mickey was way better than them. He actually had some character development.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Just finished watching it (and skimming the past couple hundred posts in this thread). Random thoughts:

Cool seeing DoctorWhat on TV. Wasn't overly fond of Chris Hardwick and Wil Wheaton talking about the upcoming episode like commentary at a football game (and I normally quite like Wil Wheaton). Is this what watching TV on an actual TV as it airs is like now?

Not feeling strongly either way about the new opening. It's fine. It's certainly visually distinctive from prior years, which was probably the point. I certainly don't see why anyone would bother hating it, though.

Just give Vastra and Jenny and Strax a spinoff and be done with it. I like them a lot, and they mostly worked fine here, but they weren't who (no pun intended) I tuned in for. I'm totally fine with big WE'RE TWO LADIES WHO ARE MARRIED signs flashing every time they're onscreen, though, because there are still people who will get furious at the merest hint of that sort of thing on TV, and those people deserve to be impotently angry all the time and forever.

I think everyone who is complaining about the obvious comedy bits is forgetting that this is as much a show to watch with your ten-year-old niece as it is to be watched and pored over by an older and nerdier audience. Then again, I think Steven Moffat forgets this sometimes as well. (Whereas Russell T Davies showed the occasional tendency to forget that it's not just being watched by ten-year-olds).

I think the first half could probably have been edited down to about a third its length, and probably should have been. It was kind of a shambles, plot-wise (which is weird in a Moffat episode, since he's usually Intricate Plot Guy). On the other hand, there was probably more character development for Clara in that half than there was in the entirety of last year. I'm less down on Moffat than most around these parts, but I think it's fair to say that characterization (and particularly the development of female characters) is not his strong point, so good for him.

Like a lot of folks, I thought it really picked up from the restaurant scene forward. Capaldi was excellent once he got to stop being Delirious Regeneration Crisis Doctor.

I wish they'd gone somewhere with the Doctor's complete inability to recall Girl In The Fireplace other than a joke about his complete inability to recall Girl In The Fireplace. Either acknowledge it once and move on, or make the link important. Clockwork robots were fine. There's probably a limit to the number of times you can tell their one story, though, and I think we've probably hit it.

Not sure that Vastra kissing Jenny would really sell the WE ARE ROBOTS LIKE YOU DON'T HURT US thing just because they weren't technically expelling air. But see above re: making certain people impotently angry until the end of time. Also, I loved Strax about to kill himself rather than let the side down. A neat little bit of characterization from someone who doesn't really get neat little bits of characterization very often (or indeed ever).

Yay Matt Smith! Yay "I'm not your boyfriend", and I really liked the "I never said the mistake was yours" line. (I'm curious to know whether that line was Moffat's idea or Capaldi's, or both.)

"Missy's" garden was laid out a hell of a lot like a TARDIS console room. We're clearly at least meant to think she's a Time Lord of some stripe. My pet theory, based on nothing at all, is that she's Romana.

On the whole, I am not prepared to say it was a great episode but I am prepared to say that I liked it a lot and I'm looking forward to more. Doctor Who is a thing I love in spite of its shortcomings. Like most things, really.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The only thing about the episode that I thought felt off was Clara's inability to process the Doctor's regeneration since out of all the companions you'd think she could handle the concept of regeneration. But then again they've never quite explained what exactly she remembers from being splintered across the Doctor's timeline,

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The last Doctor is all wacky and likes fish fingers with custard.

This new guy pours a couple glasses of whiskey and offers one to his enemy and says, "Have a drink. I have a bad feeling I am going to have to kill you soon, I know I need one." (IIRC)

I will miss Matt Smith but I have high hopes for this new guy.

"Don't look into the mirror... it is so angry."

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

docbeard posted:

"Missy's" garden was laid out a hell of a lot like a TARDIS console room. We're clearly at least meant to think she's a Time Lord of some stripe. My pet theory, based on nothing at all, is that she's Romana.

Call me completely insane, but didn't the TARDIS have a room like that in Castrovalva? I've got this weird memory of T-Bakes in a similar garden.

edit: Overall, I enjoyed the episode. I don't really have a strong feeling on Capaldi's doctor yet, but it was similar when I saw Tennant and Smith's regenerations. It took an episode or two to get a grounding on, seeing as the first one is where they're kinda wacky with Regeneration Madness.

As far as Missy, I hope they're not going the Big Finish route and it turns out she's the personification of Death. Because that was loving weird.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 24, 2014

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

docbeard posted:

I'm quite sure Moffatt is egotistical enough to think "Missy = Mistress = The Master" is clever and that's what it is.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wheezle posted:

I'm quite sure Moffatt is egotistical enough to think "Missy = Mistress = The Master" is clever and that's what it is.

I thought that woman was the pope chick from the Papal Mainframe without the eye makeup. That wasn't her? She was religious and welcoming the robot to Heaven supports that.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Hmm, bad episodes introducing an awesome new doctor. Where have we seen th

First half of the episode was real bad, but it did a complete 180 once they hit the restaurant. I really like that they're unleashing full Oswin Oswald/Governess Clara with JLC now; without that dumb romance angle between her and Eleven, I could watch her and Twelve get into snark-offs all day. :allears:

Absolutely love Capaldi. He's a lot more unsure and vulnerable than I expected, but still has that edge. For a second I thought he was going to pull a Seven and talk the android to death, but I'm okay with chucking him off a balcony. :black101: And speaking of Seven, did anyone notice the armchair? I swear it's the same one Seven/Eight sits in from the movie.

Dear Moffat: Please retire Vastra/Jenny/Strax. I had really good memories of them before this episode and will pretend they were not in it in order to keep those. tia.

Finally, did anyone else catch the danger mouse reference in the restaurant when the seat lowered? I'm not making that up, right? The angle of the seat, the color, and where they were sitting were way too much to be a coincidence.

Well, that's my opinions, internet. Thanks for listening. (and totally down for the Mistress, let's do this poo poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Didn't really like the episode. It seemed to spin its wheels at max speed to get...somewhere and not really do much of anything. I'm split wondering if the clockwork robots are supposed to be a brand new enemy or a Cybermen Origin Story that ties back into Girl in the Fireplace.

"I had this planned all the way back then guys I swear."

• Locked thread