Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
They're entirely different actresses, but women written by Moffat tend to be interchangeable so I don't blame you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I know exactly why Vastra pisses me off now. Beyond how eye rolley she is from start to finish, because seriously we're supposed to buy that she's allowed to walk around London and isn't attacked all the time? IT'S VICTORIAN ENGLAND. If you happened to have a skin condition they'd have STONED you to death!

Regardless!

It's because...all she is is a woman with green psoriasis that happens to cover her entire body. That's it. That's what a Silurian is nowadays. Bullshit.

Silurian are just sexy lizard people now guys! That means it's weird but it's not really!

I'll applaud the show when Jenny makes out with a Vastra who looks like this

(No I won't that would be awful.)

Why are the Silurians now just green people who wear mini skirts again?

Anyways the episode is poo poo but it had promise that was squandered and tossed away. Capaldi was good with what he had, and he and Clara seemed to actually have some kind of rapport going on for a change.

We'll see where things go from here.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

GORDON posted:

I thought that woman was the pope chick from the Papal Mainframe without the eye makeup. That wasn't her? She was religious and welcoming the robot to Heaven supports that.

The after show thing on BBCA actually gave me good information! Apparently that was "The Gatekeeper of the Nethersphere" who shows up in the finale.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
"Missy" is probs gonna end up being a New Adventures-style Personification of Death and it's gonna be dreadful.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Chokes McGee posted:

Hmm, bad episodes introducing an awesome new doctor. Where have we seen th

First half of the episode was real bad, but it did a complete 180 once they hit the restaurant. I really like that they're unleashing full Oswin Oswald/Governess Clara with JLC now; without that dumb romance angle between her and Eleven, I could watch her and Twelve get into snark-offs all day. :allears:

Absolutely love Capaldi. He's a lot more unsure and vulnerable than I expected, but still has that edge. For a second I thought he was going to pull a Seven and talk the android to death, but I'm okay with chucking him off a balcony. :black101: And speaking of Seven, did anyone notice the armchair? I swear it's the same one Seven/Eight sits in from the movie.

Dear Moffat: Please retire Vastra/Jenny/Strax. I had really good memories of them before this episode and will pretend they were not in it in order to keep those. tia.

Finally, did anyone else catch the danger mouse reference in the restaurant when the seat lowered? I'm not making that up, right? The angle of the seat, the color, and where they were sitting were way too much to be a coincidence.

Well, that's my opinions, internet. Thanks for listening. (and totally down for the Mistress, let's do this poo poo)

I liked the ambiguity that the robot's death had. If you want to believe that the robot jumped, that works. If you want to believe that the Doctor said :frogout: and tossed him out, that's cool too.

Burkion posted:

I know exactly why Vastra pisses me off now. Beyond how eye rolley she is from start to finish, because seriously we're supposed to buy that she's allowed to walk around London and isn't attacked all the time? IT'S VICTORIAN ENGLAND. If you happened to have a skin condition they'd have STONED you to death!

Regardless!

It's because...all she is is a woman with green psoriasis that happens to cover her entire body. That's it. That's what a Silurian is nowadays. Bullshit.

Silurian are just sexy lizard people now guys! That means it's weird but it's not really!

I'll applaud the show when Jenny makes out with a Vastra who looks like this

(No I won't that would be awful.)

Why are the Silurians now just green people who wear mini skirts again?

The reason is so that the actors can emote through the prosthetic and makeup. Also, in the season 5 episodes, it allowed the audience to better sympathize with the Silurains "Turn that drill off, we're trying to sleep" attitude.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Call me completely insane, but didn't the TARDIS have a room like that in Castrovalva? I've got this weird memory of T-Bakes in a similar garden.

edit: Overall, I enjoyed the episode. I don't really have a strong feeling on Capaldi's doctor yet, but it was similar when I saw Tennant and Smith's regenerations. It took an episode or two to get a grounding on, seeing as the first one is where they're kinda wacky with Regeneration Madness.

As far as Missy, I hope they're not going the Big Finish route and it turns out she's the personification of Death. Because that was loving weird.

I thought the garden looking like the console was a kind of stalkery thing, like Sy's creepy photo wall in One Hour Photo. I also noticed that she wore Victorian dress, yet has a punk kind of spiked bracelet. I don't think those styles go together.

I'd also like to point out the the Doctor wore someone's face when he was disguised. Not nearly as gory as Silence of the Lambs, but same principle.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

HD DAD posted:

Moffat has serious tone and pacing issues, but luckily the next four (including another Moffat) are much, much better at this.
I dunno man, I heard episode 4 by Moffat is apparently just absolutely concentrated Moffatisms. At this point I don't know what that really means because he doesn't really have much to draw from in the first place since he likes reusing a lot of the same stuff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I enjoyed it. Though if a show I like is decent enough, I can stand watching it.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

PassTheRemote posted:

I liked the ambiguity that the robot's death had. If you want to believe that the robot jumped, that works. If you want to believe that the Doctor said :frogout: and tossed him out, that's cool too.

It doesn't matter either way. Either the Doctor talked him into it or he forced him out.

Same result, both caused by the Doctor.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
That dinosaur was at least twice as big as it should have been.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I think what the "real" answer will end up being (if any) is that the Half-Faced Man asked the Doctor to push him because the Half-Faced Man couldn't manage to do it himself. All tidy, very Moffat.

But the ambiguity is obvious and has a lot of power.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Sober posted:

I dunno man, I heard episode 4 by Moffat is apparently just absolutely concentrated Moffatisms. At this point I don't know what that really means because he doesn't really have much to draw from in the first place since he likes reusing a lot of the same stuff.

I think it is time for Doctor Who to stop using showrunners. Having one person write upwards of half the episodes seems like overkill. I think they need more writers, let Moffat do script editing, with maybe an episode or two that he writes.

DoctorWhat posted:

I think what the "real" answer will end up being (if any) is that the Half-Faced Man asked the Doctor to push him because the Half-Faced Man couldn't manage to do it himself. All tidy, very Moffat.

I would except that only if the Half-Faced Man gives the Doctor a thumbs up as he falls. If you are going to rip off Terminator 2, go whole hog.

PassTheRemote fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 24, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PassTheRemote posted:

I would except that only if the Half-Faced Man gives the Doctor a thumbs up as he falls. If you are going to rip off Terminator 2, go whole hog.

I'm sure there would/will be some kind of salute or handshake or something.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

armoredgorilla posted:

It doesn't matter either way. Either the Doctor talked him into it or he forced him out.

Same result, both caused by the Doctor.

It really changes what kind of Doctor we're dealing with, though. The revival series has been full of 'men who never would', but who would certainly get a lot of other people to do it for them, and convincing him to jump is in line with that.

On the other hand, if he did force him out, we're dealing with the best kind of Doctor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmnPs64K74

(I love this video)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Man, they gotta bring the Middle Eight back to the opening titles, it's the best part of the Doctor Who theme and always has been.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

PassTheRemote posted:

I think it is time for Doctor Who to stop using showrunners. Having one person write upwards of half the episodes seems like overkill. I think they need more writers, let Moffat do script editing, with maybe an episode or two that he writes.
Showrunners have always existed, probably for DW even before RTD. The problem is that I think most people take issue with the fact that since Moffat is in the position right now, and people don't like how he's running the show in terms of tone, pace, stories, etc., since he usually has final say on what ends up being shot and produced.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I hope they don't clarify whether he pushed the half-man or talked him into suicide. I think, from the Doctors point of view, it doesn't matter. To him, either is murder.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm sure there will be a flashback next season or even when Capaldi's run is over to ruin the moment forever.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Cleretic posted:

It really changes what kind of Doctor we're dealing with, though. The revival series has been full of 'men who never would', but who would certainly get a lot of other people to do it for them, and convincing him to jump is in line with that.

Didn't Tennant have this rather good monologue about how he "got clever" regarding either convincing the enemy to off themselves or others to fight them? At least I remember it was good.

And thinking more about it, this episode really reminded me of The Christmas Invasion where we really didn't know what to think of this Doctor, and Rose spent most of the episode trying to resolve this version of the Doctor with the one she'd known.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nevvy Z posted:

That dinosaur was at least twice as big as it should have been.

This was really silly and distracting. I watched it again with some friends in the theater and noticed this time around that they DO acknowledge the ridiculous size, with Vastra insisting that's how big most dinosaurs were and being put out at Jenny trying to correct her. What I don't get is why they chose to have it be so enormous in the first place (purely to get the coughing up the TARDIS gag?), especially if they had to add in lines explaining why it's bigger than expected.

The tonal shifts didn't feel quite as severe on my second viewing but I suspect that is because I was expecting it this time around. Uneven is a very good descriptor of this episode, so much silly and extraneous stuff jammed in and around an excellent performance by Capaldi and a genuinely moving story about Clara's struggle to accept the "new" him.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Genetic Toaster posted:

We seem to be ignoring the most heinous poo poo this episode pulled, and that is casting Bronn as a character with no dialogue. Jerome Flynn. :smith:

What? He wasn't in the episode at all.

Overall I thought it was an OK episode considering it was a post regen one. Seemingly good chemistry between Clara and the Doctor.

As usual the music was all over the place. Why did it go all bombastic when he decided to use the window instead of the door?

New titles are bollocks. New theme tune is awful (I liked all of the variations since the revival, but this one is just poo poo).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

(purely to get the coughing up the TARDIS gag?)

Bingo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Didn't Tennant have this rather good monologue about how he "got clever" regarding either convincing the enemy to off themselves or others to fight them? At least I remember it was good.

"I got worse. Used to talk people into taking their own lives." (referring to Seven)

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Chokes McGee posted:

"I got worse. Used to talk people into taking their own lives." (referring to Seven)

That's the one. And to be honest "the man who never would" thing made a certain amount of sense following the Time War, but now that we know the "truth" regarding the whole situation and the Doctor has moved past being this "killer of his own kind" mopeyness and get to some rear end kicking.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
I tend to agree that episode was carried by Capaldi and Coleman's acting, especially together. They played really well off each other.

But the first half was way too inconsistent in tone and it seemed like scraps of other episodes around Capaldi's introduction.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And thinking more about it, this episode really reminded me of The Christmas Invasion where we really didn't know what to think of this Doctor, and Rose spent most of the episode trying to resolve this version of the Doctor with the one she'd known.

Yeah, it's very similar to the Christmas Invasion in a lot of ways.

I honestly think, though, that while the Christmas Invasion was probably a better story, Deep Breath is a better post-regeneration story. Unlike a lot of stories, both in Doctor Who and indeed in television at all, immediate post-regeneration stories like Deep Breath have a job: show us what this new Doctor is like and who he is. The 'actual plot' has to take a backseat to that.

As good as The Christmas Invasion is, and as much spotlight Ten takes when he's awake, he does still spend most of the episode asleep. We only get to see how he handles at the end, and spend the rest of the episode focusing on Rose reacting to the regeneration (which I suppose is fair enough, since it's sort of exploring the concept for people new to it). We get to see Tennant taking on a problem head-on, and being vindictive about people defying him, and... that's about it.

With Deep Breath, we see a lot more of how Twelve acts. We see how he approaches problems, how he fares in a crisis, how he treats his enemies, and even how he treats himself. Quite simply, since he's up and about the whole time, we learn a lot more about him.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I would say that the episode was wildly inconsistent and weird, but at the same time, I don't think there's ever been a regeneration episode that you could hold up as unassailably great. Those episodes have a lot of things they need to do, and this one did it about as well as it could have.

The one gripe my roommate came up with was how Clara seemed completely confused by the whole regeneration process, when she's previously been established as having seen all eleven of the prior ones. I felt like that could be explained by her being okay with it academically, but it being different seeing it in practice, combined with the fact that she for the first time doesn't have any experience with a new incarnation.

It feels like something that could've been explained better in the episode, and had they not taken a few too many detours into Straxland (Look, I love Strax/Jenny/Vastra, but there was a bit too much), they might've been able to explain it.

I really, really, really, really wish that Moffatt hadn't decided to get all super clever twice in the same episode. It was already on the nose enough to start making wink wink references to Girl in the Fireplace for no real good reason, but to then come back and pick up a loose plot thread from Time of the Doctor felt like a bit much. To be frank, the thread from Time actually made sense, and I like it in a vacuum, it just felt like too much at once combined with the really half-baked Girl jokes.

All that having been said, I loved the slow but steady establishment of this Doctor as a darker force than in the past. Him and Clara definitely have great chemistry together, and she's even been given a personality of her own now, which was something she was missing before! I enjoyed myself throughout, and can't wait to see more.

But for the love of God whoever let that awful cartoon sound effect into the show needs to be fired.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Laughed with this episode more than I expected I would. Really enjoyed it. Goons have terrible opinions.

"Clara I'm not your boyfriend"

"I never thought you were"

He says something right after that I can't make out. What does he say?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

AndyElusive posted:

Laughed with this episode more than I expected I would. Really enjoyed it. Goons have terrible opinions.

"Clara I'm not your boyfriend"

"I never thought you were"

He says something right after that I can't make out. What does he say?

"I never said it was your mistake."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Deep Breath gifs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Let me know if you want anything else in particular

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 26, 2014

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009
My biggest question after watching: How did the half-face man-robot get into the garden? I guess to make us wonder was the point but still. He seemed kinda dead before.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Mo0 posted:

I would say that the episode was wildly inconsistent and weird, but at the same time, I don't think there's ever been a regeneration episode that you could hold up as unassailably great.

You must be new around this thread, stranger.

(Although my preference is for the balls-to-the-wall insanity of Castrovalva, Web of Boners and all)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

saucerman posted:

My biggest question after watching: How did the half-face man-robot get into the garden? I guess to make us wonder was the point but still. He seemed kinda dead before.

**~~He was human all along ...~~**

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Is it just me, or does that mask look an awful lot like Matt Smith?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

After The War posted:

You must be new around this thread, stranger.

(Although my preference is for the balls-to-the-wall insanity of Castrovalva, Web of Boners and all)

I'm not saying that post-regeneration episodes are bad automatically, I'm just saying that they've all got their faults to them, owing to how many plates they have to spin compared to a normal episode.

Except The Twin Dilemma. That's bad automatically.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Sober posted:

**~~He was human all along ...~~**

Or Missy got him off the spire/cross/thing, and is just saying it's heaven, setting him up as a future recurring antagonist.

And I will say, these clockwork robots were much scarier than in Girl in the Fireplace.

Speaking of which, have some attention to detail.

And you know, it kinda makes sense that the name of the sister ship wouldn't make sense to him, as Ten never knew the name of the ship in GitF. I mean, he might have looked it up later, or deduced it on his own eventually, but the episode ends with the name of the ship coming into view.

edit:

Spoilers Below posted:

Is it just me, or does that mask look an awful lot like Matt Smith?

:lol: Holy poo poo, you're right! That's loving brilliant!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Honestly, aside from the
-bizarre tone
-idiotic BONK! and car alarm sounds
-rehashing of previous Moffat material
-return of RTD-era Murray Gold
-uninspired intro that looks like it was lifted from that Inspector Spacetime kickstarter
-tired reappearance of Paternosters and Victorian England
-Moffat's apparent complete misunderstanding/hatred of female characters
-River Song by any other name,
the worst part of this godawful poo poo episode was the cheapening of Matt Smith's goodbye speech in the christmas special. Smith had a fantastic goodbye, but Moffat apparently couldn't resist undermining it for...???? Why was it necessary in this episode?

I cannot loving wait for Moffat to leave this show completely. As jaded as it sounds, I now understand how nefud/why cookie rocket felt.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Mo0 posted:

I would say that the episode was wildly inconsistent and weird, but at the same time, I don't think there's ever been a regeneration episode that you could hold up as unassailably great.

Power of the Daleks and Spearhead from Space would disagree with you.

Robot and Castrovalva are also pretty good, with flashes of greatness surrounded by either complete madness or some funny run around bits.

Twin Dilemma and Time and the Rani stink, my love for Kate O'Mara notwithstanding.

The Movie is watchable, and not nearly as slow paced as I recalled. If you can enjoy 90s sci fi TV, you can enjoy it. Some good set pieces bracketed by some not so great plotting choices.

Christmas Invasion isn't awful by any stretch.

Eleventh Hour is quite fun.

Overall, I'd say there've been more good post-regeneration stories than bad.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Half this episode was really good. I think Capaldi and Coleman have good chemistry, maybe better than Smith and Coleman had. And Capaldi's line about "I might have to kill you, I need a drink" was very well done.

The other half? Rubbish. Just pure rubbish. Vastra, Jenny, and Strax have hit "overrused" and should be retired to the "Jago and Litefoot" farm in the country for former named characters.

(also, Chris Hardwick, you're going to name "all the Doctors" and skip Five, Six, and Eight? Really?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

While I'm kinda tired of Vastra and Jenny, I still like Strax whenever he's in a scene. His schtick is far more tolerable than Victorian Ninja Lesbians (please Moffat, just put them out to pasture.)

• Locked thread