Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

A - Our servant always knows the information we want, or can find it for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

FireSight posted:

A - Our servant always knows the information we want, or can find it for us.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

The Grateful Burden

Aboard this ship, you are god - your Family own every aspect of this ship and everything on it, and in many cases, every one. However, your Family is divided into it’s own tiers of power and prestige, and on those rarified heights, you are on the outer rim. The highest ranking person is the Rogue Trader, the patriarch of your clan, and his entourage - those he favors with his patronage. He is King on this ship, and his Courts are no less deadly or important then one on some Terrestrial world.

The second tier of prestige are the close members of the Family. Children, grandchildren, first cousins, people on a first name basis and who can recognize each other’s faces. They grew up on this ship and stayed there, spending decades learning the trades of Voidmastery. Every one of them becomes an officer of some sort on this ship - it is impossible to become an officer without being Family, although in rare cases some person of extraordinary talent is selected for marriage, and is “gifted” a lifetime of close watch and suspicion.

This forms the third tier, which you fall under - likely added to the Family sometime in the last five generations, given at-best casual education, shipped off to some vital task or another for decades at a time. Outsiders tend to meet this buffer-group of the Family - voidborn who have been off-ship, trained off world, familiar with land-bound customs. Many of the most vital experts are kept to this tier, required for any trade with the outside world, but not of the ship, not dedicated to maintaining the ship, and in many ways, not fully Family.

All of this can be signified at a glance when you are welcomed aboard. Three Sounas means distant cousin or relative, and is a cold and sullen niceity. Closer family members would get nine, while Lord-Sire and his entourage would be welcomed by all 21, in addition to other musical components of high price and skill. You are greeted by your man-servant alone, who gifts you the Blue Cloak that signifies your rank on ship. It fits you perfectly, of course, although whether you prefer to wear it or maintain the red robes of your Order is up to you. Both will give significant although different reactions from the rabble you are about to pass through.

There is a private train which transfers personnel from this cargo bay to the Alpha Quarters, where your Family resides. It is the height of security and comfort, welcoming Family in without interacting with the inhabitants of the Beast of TrallTraal in any way. It is, of course, closed to you. With blast doors.

Instead, you shall be riding the Grateful Burden, a series of moving platforms that imagines itself a train. It is without rails or breaks, and can travel the entire length of the ship in about twenty minutes. It’s estimated that nearly ten thousand people can use it at a time, although people keep falling off or jumping on the tracks for some dumb reason. Servitors follow the train, hosing down the tracks. They get used nearly every day.

You are given some additional space on the platform as merits your rank, but even so it is a cramped, stifling, and tedious journey. Floor space extends from the tracks nearly a hundred meters, and the ceiling extends nearly the same in height. The Grateful Burden cuts through the bulk of the masses who live on the ship - an ad hoc city of nearly two hundred thousand souls make their homes and livelihood around it, existing in tenements that stand ten or more stories high. Travelling between them is a nightmare of makeshift paths, doorways, walls, and passageways, and Lord-Sire doesn’t even maintain Arbites for them. They manage their own pecking order, and sometimes blood runs in the streets.

The last stop, that of Alpha Deck, is a relief. Nearly no one stayed on that long, and the few who do are either thrill-seekers or people of wealth and taste. Wardens, the house-hold troops of your Family, send off the thrill seekers with a glance. They are fanatics, trained at birth for combat and loyalty, and favor extreme violence and cleaning fire. The Wardens only speak High Gothic, to increase their separateness from the rabble, and their grey cloaks are a symbol of terror in the main bays.

They examine you carefully, checking both your eyes and blood with technology of forgotten make. The other passengers are checked in a similar way, and all are allowed passaged through the pressure locked blast doors. Alpha Deck maintains its own atmosphere and recyclers, which is kept to a pleasing temperature and scent, far different from the processed air and constant smell of oil that fills the bulk of the ship.

In the extensive chamber that greets you, servitors wait. One dominates the space around it, a dozen extending arms tabling through notes and schedules. It looks up at you, and makes a note. “Madam, the Family is having a convergence at this time in regards to upcoming events. Do you wish to go?”

1) “Yes, please tell me where it is.”

2) “I need to check my room for my things, first.”

3) “Not at this time.” Instead, go to the family armoury.

4) “Not at this time.” Instead, go to the seneschal's quarters.

5) “Not at this time.” Instead, go to astrogation.

6) Something else

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 24, 2014

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

FireSight posted:

Our servant always knows the information we want, or can find it for us.

Bearing this in mind, if we're set on gathering intel to completely devastate our family and sell out a Rogue Trader to the Inquisition, no time like the present to start working. 1A.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
1) let's go to the meeting. Maybe the ship is about to do something as dumb as we are.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Option 1, we need to decide who would be easiest to frame... or most likely to actually be heretical. Whatever works. Best way to do this is to look over everyone as if we had never seen them before, and decide if anyone's actions/behaviors/speech strike us as frameable/heretical.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
option 1

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Don't forget there is a choice from the last of the previous page, also. You get to select the skill set of your first minion!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Not sure what the option mean but the minion beds to know everything about the family.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Outrail posted:

Not sure what the option mean but the minion beds to know everything about the family.

Ah, they are classes/career paths.

Arbiter are investigator/policemen, Adepts are bureaucrats/librarians, Clerics are church people (think Catholic church at its height), and Scum are criminal thugs and hooligans.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Loweldnd,

I have to say. I really love this game so far. The writing is high quality!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
A1) Your family knows that you're a nneeeerd

We really need to get a reversable red/blue cloak so that we're ready for any occasion. Or perhaps simply a plain cloak that we speed up to red-shift and blue-shift.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Option 1. As for what colours we wear, can't we wear both the red robes and a blue cloak? But yes, depends on context. Wear blue with family, red elsewhere.

Woodhouse is clearly an Adept, the only class with Trade (Valet) as a starting skill.

Waci fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 24, 2014

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
A1, but who needs a minion that can't poach an egg?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Adept then I like my eggs soft and just a bit runny.

Both cloaks, we can shift between them as needed to gently caress with people.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Diogines posted:

Loweldnd,

I have to say. I really love this game so far. The writing is high quality!

Thank you :3: I can only hope it does half as well as your CYOA :cheers:

It looks like the thread has firmly decided for A1, so I'm starting some coffee and seeing what I can chomp out.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Happy Families are all alike

The secretarial-servitor nods at your instruction, edits some of the papers, rewrites some of the others, before directing you to a grand room behind and above it. Its voice has an unpleasant grating quality to it that reminds you of life on the Forge World, and you idly wonder whose decision it was to give such a hoarse and crackling voice to someone whose task was people interaction.

From what you are told, most places don’t have this many servitors. Your personal experience says otherwise, given your life on the Forge-World, and then here on the Beast of TrallTraal, but apparently they are half as common elsewhere, or even less so. You believe that’s partially due to one of the Rogue Traders who was Lord-Sire several centuries ago.

As it happened, he was believed to be a somewhat weak person, compliant and manipulable, and a branch of the Family, composed of disloyal and ambitious officers, decided to take advantage of that fact. It wasn’t enough to simply influence his decisions; they wanted him completely out of the way. Their coup was violent and brutal, lasting weeks. Blood ran in the corridors, half the rabble were lit on fire or shot, and priceless antiquities were destroyed on Alpha Deck.

As it turned out, he wasn’t compliant and manipulable - he simply preferred a consensus based approach to leadership - some softness of ideology he had picked up somewhere in his youth. That didn’t mean he couldn’t bring the Emperor’s Justice down on the mutineers though. That entire branch of the Family was captured and turned into Servitors, kept inside Alpha Deck where the Family would always remember what happened to traitors. And from then on, that Rogue Traitor was a dictator of such strength and cunning, it was said he was blessed by the Emperor Himself.

Which brings you to this Family meeting.

You have been in such things before, usually little tasks that needed an official role, but they were also signallers of intimidation and power. It was hard to plot rebellion when looking at a dozen servitors with faces of cousins, knowing that the last attempt against the Family meant partial brain removal and being caged in a machine of iron and flesh.

Not that that wasn’t far different from your eventual goal of devotion to the Omnissiah, of course. But the details were somewhat different, top dog on a Forge World, vs serving scraps to the lesser cousins. Your cyber mastiff nuzzles your hip agreeably. She always knew what you were thinking, and how to respond, even if she lacked the capability to voice it.

Woodhouse quietly connected a datapad to your electro graft, sending text, images, clips of video, updating you on the relevant players in the room. Your Lord Sire:

Walking about the room with a mix of strength and sarcasm, he used his Lord Captain’s Baton to emphasize his points. It was the physical aspect of leadership, and was required for the Machine-Spirit of the Beast of TrallTraal to be recognized. He had been the Rogue Trader your entire life, and decades prior - a hulking manifestation of power, ambition, and pure greed.

His entourage were missing today, but that wasn’t unusual. The events at this meeting were, to them, tedious but necessary, and lacked anything requiring their talents. The Ship’s Magos, for example, would usually be in the engines of the ship, while the Seneschal was already planning some complex plot of deception and betrayal.

Next down the line, Scholar Viosus Limosa.

A Sanctioned Psyker and your distant cousin, he made your childhood hell. Apparently he’s done well for himself since then; the rumor on the ship is that he’s being groomed for next Rogue Trader, and might be ready in a mere few decades. You remember him as being oily and obsequious, always near trouble but never caught, and his rise in standing does nothing but support that.

Next, Amacitia the Scribe. An occasional acquaintance and friend of your childhood.

Still focused on her old texts, disinterested in the games of power, largely useless. Next.

Ah, this one was an interesting one. You didn’t meet him before your Forge-World training.
Investigator Cruentus.

Fancied himself a Commissar, liked to go on drops with the mercenary companies. Would often stand behind them and shoot them for “desertion”, laughing all the while. He was almost as much of a danger to them as the enemy was, although Lord-Sire didn’t care much. It didn’t increase the bottom line particularly, and he did have a reputation for success. Woodhouse sends you quick clips of battle you hadn’t encountered before - the Investigator was nearly as good as he thought he was. The mercenaries called him Widowmaker.

The data transfer ends just as Lord-Sire starts looking at you. Good. Woodhouse is talented at this, probably why you have a sense for political games in the paperwork. Lord-Sire speaks.

A “The dregs down below are complaining about some sort of mysterious killer. I don’t usually care about their squabbles for pecking order, but all three factions are denying their involvement, and all three are asking for an outside investigator. Apparently the killings were particularly gruesome.

B “Our visit to the Forge-World has been quite profitable, but the new gun batteries are having trouble integrating with the crew. We need someone to go down there and get them used to their new clan and tribe, make them respect the commands of the Bridge. The other gun batteries don’t like them, think of them as outsiders.

C “The workers in Cargo-Bay 3 are reporting sightings of something “odd”. Usually I’d think its a time waster, workers getting into the drink, but several officers I trust report the same. I don’t have any more details than that.

D “Finally, the Magos wants the Guild of Maintenance investigated. They do most of the work the Acolytes of the Machine Cult don’t, so its mostly simple benedictions and the like, but they are somehow screwing it up. Someone needs to go down there and find out why. Now then, who wants what?

“Tech priest! You. Whats your name? Doesn’t matter. You get first pick today.”

Loel fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 14, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
psst. You might want to rehost the images.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

The Lord-Sire does not even know who we are. We have spent years training to learn the secrets of the Ommnisiah. B plays right into our specialty and gives us a chance to shine!

B! Lets go play psychiatrist to the ships new cannon!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

psst. You might want to rehost the images.

Moved them to imgur, that work?

-unfamiliar with some things-

Loel fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 24, 2014

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Diogines posted:

The Lord-Sire does not even know who we are. We have spent years training to learn the secrets of the Ommnisiah. B plays right into our specialty and gives us a chance to shine!

B! Lets go play psychiatrist to the ships new cannon!

Technically, the thread hasn't given me a name yet :D

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Our name is 01000010 01101111 01110011 01110011

Lets B go to the gun battery, talk to people from a forge world we have some connection with. It always helps to have people on your side when planning a coup. Especially ones we know are untainted. Praise the Omnissiah.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

FireSight posted:

Our name is 01000010 01101111 01110011 01110011

Lets B go to the gun battery, talk to people from a forge world we have some connection with. It always helps to have people on your side when planning a coup. Especially ones we know are untainted. Praise the Omnissiah.
I like the name idea, I suggest a slight tweak.

Our real name is... yes, it is in binary, more specifically:

quote:

01010000 01110010 01100001 01101001 01110011 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101
00100000 01001101 01100001 01100011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01100101 00100000 01000111 01101111 01100100 00100001

We accept the fact that no one outside of the priesthood would ever remember that, so we introduce ourselves as our usual name, Ohone. This is often confused with Owain, which is a real name.

Translation: Praise to the Machine God! As opposed to FireSight's code, which means... Boss and is going to get us made into a Servitor.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 24, 2014

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
B sounds good

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Diogines posted:

I like the name idea, I suggest a slight tweak.

Our real name is... yes, it is in binary, more specifically:

We accept the fact that no one outside of the priesthood would ever remember that, so we introduce ourselves as our usual name, Ohone. This is often confused with Owain, which is a real name.

Translation: Praise to the Machine God! As opposed to FireSight's code, which means... Boss and is going to get us made into a Servitor.

+1, B

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

B poor babby gun batteries, we must help them!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Tis' true! Who will pity the poor battery?
Who will lovingly wax and clean the innermost parts while chanting soothing thanks to the omnissiah?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
who will lovingly oil up the long metal shaft, tenderly caress each and every part, slowly rub in the sacred oils and whisper sweet prayers to the machine spirit at night

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
D Let's stick with what we're trained on.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
B Can't be defenseless now can we.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
B. Stick to what we know.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

A
B x x x x x x x
C
D x

Im astonished how one sided these last few votes have been. And you aren't even picking the ones I anticipate being popular :psyduck:

edit: this vote isn't closed yet for I am lazy, but Im startled at the trend.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The Cabal is strong.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
You can bet this is a landslide.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

D, gently caress the Cabal :colbert:

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
C seems interesting.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Voting icons here and here.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
B - that ordnance isn't going to assimilate itself.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LowellDND posted:

[b] :psyduck:
edit: this vote isn't closed yet for I am lazy, but Im startled at the trend.

You ain't seen nothing yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
B - Our first impression upon returning should be of competence.