Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
There's like two people running the site now after the layoffs.

I guess the 80 thousand dollars from Microsoft only went so far. This also makes the Polygon documentary pretty laugh worthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
I hope their web design folk find a less terrible company to design webs for because 80% of their perceived credibility was directly attributable to their page design being remarkably slick in a field where fullscreen Fart Cry background ads are the norm.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
I still wish Kotaku would die faster than both. Like polygon is poo poo don't get me wrong. Kotaku is aggressively garbage and unapologetic about it.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Contra Calculus posted:

I still wish Kotaku would die faster than both. Like polygon is poo poo don't get me wrong. Kotaku is aggressively garbage and unapologetic about it.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

I want kotak to hilariously publicly explode like when their tranny editor quit over being called a tranny after posting exclusively gender politics articles

Dec 26, 2012

Contra Calculus posted:

it wont

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Special Crossover w/ 'drink every time bad guy makes a compelling argument' thread DLC post: Kotaku is actually an incredibly important stabilizing influence because it gathers a lot of terrible content in one place where no one will ever make the mistake of taking it seriously.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
I'm glad of it.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Snackula posted:

I hope their web design folk find a less terrible company to design webs for because 80% of their perceived credibility was directly attributable to their page design being remarkably slick in a field where fullscreen Fart Cry background ads are the norm.
polygon's part of a gigantic company that runs a bunch of different topic-specific sites

their web design people are probably now working on that "explanatory journalism" thing

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
taint reaper what is your twitter handle

you cannot escape me

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Snackula posted:

odds are very against them having full-time web design staff

they either got people on loan from their parent company or they contracted an outside company

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Putty posted:

taint reaper what is your twitter handle

you cannot escape me

Having a twitter handle assumes that it is possible for twitter to handle me.

Rest assured, they can't.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

haha good one t reap

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
it wasnt 80k it ws 750k. that is right. 750k from microsoft

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh no what video game news and reviews site will I not read now?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Video Viddy Games posted:

lol

I feel slightly bad because polygon at least had decent trade/business news coverage whereas Kotaku is just terrible on all fronts.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Thing Vaguely Related to Videogame Happened Two Days Ago When Everyone Else Already Covered It, Including CNN by Alejandro "I'm totally cool with transsexuals or whatever; I'm an open minded guy" Baggadicks

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Video Viddy Games posted:

yeah i tend to think of polygon as hacks churning out unreadable garbage for the highest bidder but man, 750k for just goosin some ratings? that is fuckin amazing dude, that's a good loving scam. they did really drat well and the only people down from it were people idiotic enough to read what they wrote and loving microsoft. that's pretty loving ethical right there, like in terms of ethics per dollar that's like higher than most charities

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'd sell out for 750k. I mean, it's "journalism" about video games, no one should be taking you seriously anyway.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
750k only got a .5 mark increase over the ps4 so i bet microsoft are feeling the sting

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Polygon got $750k from Microsoft and then made a stream where they poo poo on the Xbone for 24 hours, which was pretty ballsy

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Porygon gave kids seizures

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Why do they call it polygon when their webpage is CLEARLY 2d

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

Rest assured, they can't.

it also assumes that anybody wants to hear anything you have to say

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Overbite posted:

Why do they call it polygon when their webpage is CLEARLY 2d

polygons are 2 dimensional objects

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

polygons are 2 dimensional objects

So the game boy does polygonal graphix

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Overbite posted:

in that the images it displays are made of polygons, yes

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
now you're playing with power!

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Overbite posted:

a square is a type of polygon yes

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyjU4MtonZM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Polygon got $750k from Microsoft and then made a stream where they poo poo on the Xbone for 24 hours, which was pretty ballsy
they shat on xbone on their stream and did mostly the same thing in their text review, but they still gave it an 8

obviously microsoft and other video game makers see only the score instead of the actual content

• Locked thread