Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

mobby_6kl posted:

This, this motherfucker right there:

Why yes let me just puff along this narrow single-lane road when there's a perfectly fine bike path right loving there :argh:

I never ride on paths because they meander and end and go through crosswalks and are filled with children and pets and people not paying attention to their surroundings. If I'm going somewhere or riding fast it's way better to just be in the street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There was a case like that in the UK a couple years ago, truck pushed a car for a couple miles before stopping. Court found the truck driver innocent because they decided it was impossible to have seen the car from his perspective.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

jamal posted:

I never ride on paths because they meander and end and go through crosswalks and are filled with children and pets and people not paying attention to their surroundings. If I'm going somewhere or riding fast it's way better to just be in the street.

I never drive on the roads because they're filled with traffic lights and pedestrian crossings and other drivers not paying attention to their surroundings. If I'm going somewhere, it's way better to just drive on the sidewalk. Collisions are much less dangerous, too.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

KozmoNaut posted:

I never drive on the roads because they're filled with traffic lights and pedestrian crossings and other drivers not paying attention to their surroundings. If I'm going somewhere, it's way better to just drive on the sidewalk. Collisions are much less dangerous, too.

Yeah, that is totally the same thing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

Would you ride a silent motorcycle at 30mph around inattentive pedestrians? Because that's the logic behind not riding on cycle paths and using the road instead.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'm not sure if you realize this, but bicycles are considered vehicles and are supposed to be ridden on the road, and in a lot of places it is illegal to be on the sidewalk.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

I'm not sure if you realize this, but bicycles are considered vehicles and are supposed to be ridden on the road, and in a lot of places it is illegal to be on the sidewalk.
In fairness to him, that is a dedicated cyclepath.

They're never dedicated enough to stop bipedal scrotums using them as footpaths, and have astoundingly lovely design with regard to crossings and separation from pedestrians, but the thought is there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bicycles are the most offensive mode of transportation on the planet. Cities don't want to make lanes for them, cars don't want them on the road, and pedestrians don't want them on the sidewalk.

Which is funny because they're pretty much the most efficient mode of transportation ever created in terms of energy spent to distance covered.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

InitialDave posted:

In fairness to him, that is a dedicated cyclepath.

They're never dedicated enough to stop bipedal scrotums using them as footpaths, and have astoundingly lovely design with regard to crossings and separation from pedestrians, but the thought is there.

Don't loving get me started about bicycle right of way. I'm normally a pedestrian these days and I've been hit four times by cyclists who decided they have no need to ride on the street when there's a nice sidewalk next to it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think all y'all missed my point. Just as motorized vehicles belong on the road, so do bicycles belong in the bike lane, should there be one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Don't loving get me started about bicycle right of way. I'm normally a pedestrian these days and I've been hit four times by cyclists who decided they have no need to ride on the street when there's a nice sidewalk next to it.
I'm big enough that cyclists who have tried this have had it go very badly for them.

But again, we see the switch: You are talking about footpaths. Footpaths. For the use of those on foot. A slight deviation from, as was quite clear, cyclepaths. I will not insult you with the etymology of the latter.

KozmoNaut posted:

I think all y'all missed my point. Just as motorized vehicles belong on the road, so do bicycles belong in the bike lane, should there be one.
It depends on the situation. Yes, I know everyone hates that, but it's true. I've clocked 40+mph on a bike (when younger, fitter, and somewhat more stupid), and you do not want that poo poo on a cycle path, placed within farting distance of lobotomised pedestrians, senseless children, and twitchy animals. It belongs on a road. Twiddling along like a granny at 10mph? Yep, that's fine on a cycle path, and dangerous on a road.

The fact that some people do not make the right choice for a given situation does not mean that all bikes must or must not ride on the road.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I understand pedestrians not wanting to be run into by cyclists, but I also understand the much more realistic fear of cyclists being killed by drivers. It's a lovely situation, and the only good solution is better education across the board.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

InitialDave posted:

A slight deviation from, as was quite clear, cyclepaths. I will not insult you with the etymology of the latter.

Haha why are you posting like this

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

InitialDave posted:

I'm big enough that cyclists who have tried this have had it go very badly for them.

But again, we see the switch: You are talking about footpaths. Footpaths. For the use of those on foot. A slight deviation from, as was quite clear, cyclepaths. I will not insult you with the etymology of the latter.

It depends on the situation. Yes, I know everyone hates that, but it's true. I've clocked 40+mph on a bike (when younger, fitter, and somewhat more stupid), and you do not want that poo poo on a cycle path, placed within farting distance of lobotomised pedestrians, senseless children, and twitchy animals. It belongs on a road. Twiddling along like a granny at 10mph? Yep, that's fine on a cycle path, and dangerous on a road.

The fact that some people do not make the right choice for a given situation does not mean that all bikes must or must not ride on the road.

Why do bicyclists get to go as fast as they like on cycle paths with no regard for safety? I can't decide to go 100 km/h down a city street just because my car is physically capable of doing so. If you can't ride fast enough to keep up with traffic (in which case I have no idea why drivers would give a poo poo if you're on the street or not), then I guess you have to toodle along on a slower cycle path.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There wouldn't be any problem with cyclists going 20 or 30 mph (40 is rare and you know it) on a cycle path if they weren't always clogged up with pedestrians, soccer moms with giant strollers, people walking 10 dogs, etc. In most parts of the USA, a dedicated cycle path is treated like "oh, look at this nice empty sidewalk!"

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Haha why are you posting like this

Because you're the biggest loving troll in AI after TT and you know it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

This, this motherfucker right there:

Why yes let me just puff along this narrow single-lane road when there's a perfectly fine bike path right loving there :argh:

If you think that's narrow you need to come drive in Japan! Our highways are narrower than that road.

(Also we cycle on the sidewalk :v: )

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

There wouldn't be any problem with cyclists going 20 or 30 mph (40 is rare and you know it) on a cycle path if they weren't always clogged up with pedestrians, soccer moms with giant strollers, people walking 10 dogs, etc. In most parts of the USA, a dedicated cycle path is treated like "oh, look at this nice empty sidewalk!"

I agree that cycle paths should have 0 objects that aren't bicycles on them, but I've honestly never seen that being a problem (although there were a few inline skaters and longboarders that I saw use them in Montreal, but they were going pretty drat fast too).

If you're going 30 mph, why do you even need a cycle path? That's the speed of traffic on surface streets here if you're lucky; dedicated bike paths should not be super intimidating for those who maybe don't want to or can't go that fast, and speed differential is dangerous when talking about any sort of traffic. If you're serious about getting "average" people to start using bikes more, you have to accept that it's going to involve a general slowing of bike-lane traffic. Just as I can't weave in and out of traffic in my car at 100 km/h when I personally feel it's appropriate to do so, if the speed limit is 50 km/h. As someone who drives, but is more frequently a pedestrian, I have to say that bicyclists are some of the most self-centered, entitled wankers on the road (or sidewalk) no matter if you're in a car or not.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's kinda funny, actually.

When I'm in my car, cyclists annoy me. But when I'm riding my bicycle, cyclists still annoy me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PT6A posted:

If you're going 30 mph, why do you even need a cycle path?
Yes, that's the entire point. When cycling at road traffic speeds, ride on the road. When cycling at a more sedate pace, use the cycle path.

However, if there is no cycle path, the road is the correct place to ride, as long as you still act like a vehicle and obey the rules. Other road users should treat you as any other slow-moving vehicle.

KozmoNaut posted:

When I'm in my car, cyclists annoy me. But when I'm riding my bicycle, cyclists still annoy me.
Because a lot of cyclists are utter knobs. Or just unaware idiots who think they're pedestrians with wheels. They're both as bad as each other, frankly.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I've just bought a G1W. Seems to work fine (I dont have an SD card it likes yet but it powers up and gives me a card error) except that when it is plugged in I loose all the signal on my DAB stereo. The DAB radio uses a powered aerial that sticks onto the inside of my windscreen (and is powered through the headunit).
I'm currently using the cig lighter power cable the G1W came with.

Can anybody think of a possible easy cause/fix for this?

I have run the power cable for the G1W via the opposite A-pillar to the DAB aerial

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you open the power adapter that comes with the G1W, you'll see two spots marked for capacitors that don't have them. If you put the power adapter output on an oscilloscope, you'll have a heart attack. Don't use the adapter it comes with.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Geirskogul posted:

If you open the power adapter that comes with the G1W, you'll see two spots marked for capacitors that don't have them. If you put the power adapter output on an oscilloscope, you'll have a heart attack. Don't use the adapter it comes with.

Any clue what size/rating of caps should go in there? I've never opened mine up, but I'm not adverse to soldering some caps in if I can find out what value to use.
Or I'll just use something else, but I like tinkering :)

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Got a loaner car from my mechanic so they can diagnose a lingering issue that doesn't happen all the time. They gave me a manual car and I haven't driven manual in about 10 years since learning how to drive stick on a 1975 Datsun 280z. Stalled it 5 times in the parking lot before remembering to let out the clutch slowly until it bites and then give it gas of about 1-2k. I am the terrible person you share the road with.

Would have asked for an automatic, but I am looking at getting a new car and have sights set on getting a manual so this is the perfect experience/opportunity.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Eh it's not that hard. My first car was a manual and the salesman took me to an empty lot and showed me the basics and I drove it home. 11 years later, I've replaced one clutch.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
When I bought my Camaro, it was the first manual I've had in 7 years. It took me about as long as the test drive to get used to it. Kinda like riding a bike; you don't forget, you just have to feel out where the car is.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

poo poo, I just installed my wife's G1W. Do you know of a power adapter with a long cord and an actual decent circuit inside?

I've noticed that with the proliferation of cheap poo poo USB adapters, it's more or less a fool's errand to try and use an AM radio in my house these days.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Geirskogul posted:

Cheers! I shall try and buy a better one (though I expect this will take some trial and error since they are probably all fairly lovely)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Just barely missed seeing an epic crash when getting lunch today. There was a guy waiting in the left turn lane and the person behind him was getting antsy. The lights turned yellow and the person behind just went, cutting off the first dude before he could begin making his turn. The first dude got flustered and followed through the intersection.

The problem is this particular intersection has staggered left turn arrows. While our lights turned yellow then red, oncoming traffic continued to see a green. All the oncoming cars slammed on their brakes to avoid t-boning two cars suddenly cutting in front of them.

I really hate the staggered light bullshit at this intersection. I see it catch someone off guard almost every time I drive through it. They try to clear the intersection like they've been trained to when the light starts to change and don't see that the other side still has the green.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Wait what the gently caress? If there is a left turn lane with a left arrow how can anyone be turning left unprotected, without running red lights?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If I'm traveling south the lights go like this:

1) Southbound gets a left green arrow and a green light to go straight, northbound gets a red light for going straight and a flashing yellow (treated like a yield) for turning left.

2) Southbound gets a flashing yellow left turn arrow and a green light to go straight, northbound gets a flashing yellow left turn arrow and a green light to go straight.

3) Southbound gets a flashing yellow left turn arrow and a red light to go straight, northbound gets a green left turn arrow and a green light to go straight.

4) All traffic gets a red and cross traffic proceeds like normal (both directions can turn left on an arrow, then both directions get the green light to go straight).

#3 is super confusing because southbound left turners see the light go red attempt to make the turn/get out of the intersection as they don't see that northbound traffic still has the green.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

That is some poo poo, I mean really there are already enough folks to who can't get it right at a normal intersection :v:

Where about is it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Satellit3 posted:

That is some poo poo, I mean really there are already enough folks to who can't get it right at a normal intersection :v:

Where about is it?

Peoria, IL. Intersection of University and Glen. There is another at Knoxville and Glen.

Extra confusing as the cross streets cycle their lights like normal.

Almost all the other intersections are normal, but the majority of tee intersections around here cycle backwards (green light, then left turn signal, then red light).

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
There are so many flashing yellow left turn signals in Portland. No one understands them. No one. Especially when the arrow turns green and the car is still sitting there waiting for on coming traffic.

Also, your bright blue custom xenon whatever led headlights? Good thing there wasn't a cyclist coming up on my right when I made a turn because I literally couldn't see out of my mirrors or behind me. You gently caress.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

Uthor posted:

The problem is this particular intersection has staggered left turn arrows. While our lights turned yellow then red, oncoming traffic continued to see a green. All the oncoming cars slammed on their brakes to avoid t-boning two cars suddenly cutting in front of them.

Don't enter the intersection unless you can clear it.

I am assuming you mean the intersection went Flashing Yellow Left Arrow > Solid Yellow Left Arrow > Solid Red Left Arrow.

A flashing yellow means sit at the stop line unless there is a break in traffic and you can clear the intersection. You can't do that "creep into the middle of the intersection and then clear it when the lights turn red" bullshit.

That being said, the lights around here all have a solid green left at the end of the cycle, or the oncoming traffic also has a red, so the above situation doesn't happen so far as I know.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DEAR RICHARD posted:

There are so many flashing yellow left turn signals in Portland. No one understands them. No one. Especially when the arrow turns green and the car is still sitting there waiting for on coming traffic.

Also, your bright blue custom xenon whatever led headlights? Good thing there wasn't a cyclist coming up on my right when I made a turn because I literally couldn't see out of my mirrors or behind me. You gently caress.

I find it really tiring to drive at night these days unless I'm on a big freeway, and I blame the brightness of modern headlights... I'm only 27, I don't think I have a case of Old Man Eyes yet. I think it's more that when I started driving 10 years ago, there were more cars out there with lovely dim headlights, but by now most of the cars on the road have really bright fuckers. Also they're higher up because of loving crossovers and brotrucks. These days I keep thinking everyone has their high beams on because I'm getting so thoroughly blinded.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Yeah this is the new standard, they're popping up everywhere in Denver too. Here, people sit at them wondering what to do when there's nobody coming from the other direction, only going when it turns solid yellow. The one right by my office is 2 lanes, I love coming up and blasting past an idiot sitting there at the blinking yellow.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

It took about a year for the lights to proliferate around here and for people to get used to them. I didn't like them at first, but now the flashing yellows turn signals work great.

It's the weird timing of this specific intersection flipping how the left turns work and being different from every other intersection around here that's the problem.

My parents' neighborhood put up red light cameras everywhere and now people stop and wait for the green instead of making the legal right turn on red. That's super annoying.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hmm that is interesting. How in the world does a red-light camera know if you're making a legal turn on red or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

revmoo posted:

Hmm that is interesting. How in the world does a red-light camera know if you're making a legal turn on red or not?

I think they only point it into the middle of the intersection. If you're doing a right turn from the right lane you never enter its sensor cone.