Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Was it sprayed or just leaking? Because spraying equals some kind of pressure pushing against the oil, unless its hitting the fan.

And even then, usually any leaks just kind of ooze out and not coat things.

I didn't see any oil on the fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

meatpimp posted:

Yowch. That's bad luck. Were you moving at the time, or was it a passing idiot? I thought comp claims were only when your car is stationary?

One of the idiosyncrasies of insurance, it came off a moving vehicle. If it had landed and I hit it, it's a collision claim, if it was still in the air, it's a comp claim because it's "unavoidable." On the plus side, I had a few rock chips on the front and this was a good opportunity to get it all painted up for the price of my deductible.

Wahnsinn
Oct 3, 2013
Hi BMW Thread, I've been in the market for a used BMW and have finally settled down on two different options (3-series because I am a poor) that I plan to look at this weekend.

A 2001 330i, http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4632177957.html

as well as a 2002 325i. http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4628176756.html

Speaking to both owners they have been pretty helpful and upfront about problems their cars may have; the 330i has a power steering fluid leak as well as a non-functioning sunroof, and the 325i needs new VANOS seals. I'm fairly comfortable working on cars, and both these cars' issues seem within my skill/comfort zone of fixing.

Basically, I'm wondering if these seem like fair deals? The 330i in particular seems like a really good deal. I've been researching these cars for the last month, and like to think I am starting to become familiar with their problems. Outside of the usual BMW suspects (GDCS, suspension, subframe,auto transmission on certain models), is there anything in particular with these years/models that I need to look for? This is my first time buying a used car, and to be honest I'm nervous as gently caress. Thanks guys.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looking at the list of repairs on the 330, it seems they only fix what broke as it broke, and seeing transmission fluid specified scares me. Along with 2 grand in "new wheels and tires" on a car they're now selling for just over double that.

Wahnsinn
Oct 3, 2013

Powershift posted:

Looking at the list of repairs on the 330, it seems they only fix what broke as it broke, and seeing transmission fluid specified scares me. Along with 2 grand in "new wheels and tires" on a car they're now selling for just over double that.

In hindsight, the reactive rather than preventative maintenance is definitely something to be concerned about. Thanks for the input! I appreciate it. It's definitely nice to have an impartial second person look at these ads to see things I wouldn't. :)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Every hydraulic power steering rack on every BMW made in the last 40 years leaks IIRC

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Those wheels are a HUGE red flag.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's got 19 foot rims.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crustashio posted:

Those wheels are a HUGE red flag.

What? Yes, they're ugly but they're the easiest thing to change about a car.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

BraveUlysses posted:

What? Yes, they're ugly but they're the easiest thing to change about a car.

I think his line of thinking was more: "money spent on wheels/mods equals money not spent on basic upkeep". Pretty sound reasoning based on the cars I see with similar modifications.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Everytime I've looked at a BMW with lovely chrome wheels it was a basket case, especially if it was an older one. The rare exception is something owned by an old guy because they love chrome.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Wahnsinn posted:

Outside of the usual BMW suspects (GDCS, suspension, subframe,auto transmission on certain models), is there anything in particular with these years/models that I need to look for? This is my first time buying a used car, and to be honest I'm nervous as gently caress. Thanks guys.

I'm just going to link this again because I think it's a really good mental checklist to take with you of potential problems an e46 could have. It's not gospel, and they tend to stress some minor things too much, but it's just a good list to look at/think about when looking at that vintage BMW.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Wahnsinn posted:

Hi BMW Thread, I've been in the market for a used BMW and have finally settled down on two different options (3-series because I am a poor) that I plan to look at this weekend.

A 2001 330i, http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4632177957.html

as well as a 2002 325i. http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4628176756.html

Speaking to both owners they have been pretty helpful and upfront about problems their cars may have; the 330i has a power steering fluid leak as well as a non-functioning sunroof, and the 325i needs new VANOS seals. I'm fairly comfortable working on cars, and both these cars' issues seem within my skill/comfort zone of fixing.

Basically, I'm wondering if these seem like fair deals? The 330i in particular seems like a really good deal. I've been researching these cars for the last month, and like to think I am starting to become familiar with their problems. Outside of the usual BMW suspects (GDCS, suspension, subframe,auto transmission on certain models), is there anything in particular with these years/models that I need to look for? This is my first time buying a used car, and to be honest I'm nervous as gently caress. Thanks guys.

Dumb question but have you made it clear you want a mechanic to inspect these cars to the sellers?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Today, while visiting back home, I drove my old man's 335d. I now understand the BMW thing.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

I love that it's so simple, no fancy LCD's with ridiculous information.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm assuming that entire bottom section is a screen or something. Rich people would cry if the expensive luxury car they purchased doesn't have all the fancy screens that the poor person version does.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm assuming that entire bottom section is a screen or something. Rich people would cry if the expensive luxury car they purchased doesn't have all the fancy screens that the poor person version does.

The 7 series has Black Panel gauges: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wgxu7KXrpc

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

El Scotch posted:

Today, while visiting back home, I drove my old man's 335d. I now understand the BMW thing.

One of us!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Crustashio posted:

Everytime I've looked at a BMW with lovely chrome wheels it was a basket case, especially if it was an older one. The rare exception is something owned by an old guy because they love chrome.

My stepdad LOVES chrome, definitely a generational thing.

Got invited to the Un4getable Test Drive event, spent some time in 435 M coupe, 428 grand coupe and Merc C something. M coupe is amazing.
:vince:

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 23, 2014

Wahnsinn
Oct 3, 2013
Thanks for the help everyone. I've read the hell out of the E46 wiki and yeah, it is pretty awesome.

PaintVagrant posted:

Dumb question but have you made it clear you want a mechanic to inspect these cars to the sellers?

Not a dumb question; I haven't made it clear. I'll touch base with the 325i owner. The 330i seems like it could potentially be a lot of trouble so I'm probably best just avoiding it.

EDIT: After speaking with the 325i owner and mentioning wanting to get a PPI from a mechanic, he told me that they were going to go to a dealership to look at trade-ins should the car not sell to me. I found that pretty weird, and am kind of getting a bad feeling about the whole thing now. Thinking it's best to walk away from both cars and keep looking.

Wahnsinn fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 23, 2014

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

My 135 has an oil temp gauge as well. Don't BMWs have some sort of heat exchanger so the two will be near each other in temperature anyway?

Yes, all of the modern BMWs have oil coolers of some sort (on the M cars, it's oil-to-air radiator, but some recent non-M turbos stuff might have oil-to-water, I'm not sure). However it's not enough to ensure the oil and water temps will be near each other. The oil will still always run hotter.

So I'd rather have temp guages for both like on my E46.

mafoose posted:

I thought most oils start to break down around 250deg F?

Conventional oils start coking up around there, but you're not putting that oil for poors in your Ultimate Driving Machine, I hope. BMW approved full synthetic for life :smug: The Castrol 10W60 required by the S54 is good to 300F (and possibly beyond, but if you're seing 300+ oil temps, you've got A Problem).

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Binge posted:

I've got a M6 and I miss the "fun meter". Presumably, its missing because the range on the gauge would be 0-15mpg.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Binge posted:

The bottom part of those gauges are part of an LCD screen, they just aren't showing anything other than the M4 logo because the car is off

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Good. So the ///////M4 in the first picture was on the screen. I was hoping they didn't ///////MMMMMM two times just on the instrument cluster.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

meatpimp posted:

Good. So the ///////M4 in the first picture was on the screen. I was hoping they didn't ///////MMMMMM two times just on the instrument cluster.

Someone needs to do an /////////M badge count on the ///////////M4. I think I hit 27 on the e92

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I have a dream...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Das Volk posted:

Someone needs to do an /////////M badge count on the ///////////M4. I think I hit 27 on the e92

Can't be worse than the STI badging.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My non M car has 7 ///////////M badges from the factory.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Mine has 6. Four on the wheels plus one each on the shifter and the steering wheel.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've got one on each wheel plus one on the steering wheel and another on each door sill.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Celebrating 20 years of ////Marketing

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've just realized that my dead e36 has zero BMW roundels on it anymore. The wheel centercaps are gone, the steering wheel is gone (the airbag with the roundel on it is in the back seat, so perhaps that counts, but not "on it" so much as "in it in a non-standard location"), and the hood and trunk-lid roundels are both missing (front fell off, back stolen). The kidneys and front bumper are off, too, so some more of the distinctive BMW look is missing.

It never had any ///M badges on it, as far as I know. Do they really stick those on non-M cars at the factory? I thought that was all aftermarket.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I've just realized that my dead e36 has zero BMW roundels on it anymore. The wheel centercaps are gone, the steering wheel is gone (the airbag with the roundel on it is in the back seat, so perhaps that counts, but not "on it" so much as "in it in a non-standard location"), and the hood and trunk-lid roundels are both missing (front fell off, back stolen). The kidneys and front bumper are off, too, so some more of the distinctive BMW look is missing.

It never had any ///M badges on it, as far as I know. Do they really stick those on non-M cars at the factory? I thought that was all aftermarket.

If a car is ordered with the m-sport shifter and steering wheel, you get 2, m-sport suspension gets you like 10 more.

I can't wait until the m-sport active tourer minivan gets like 30.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

Do they really stick those on non-M cars at the factory? I thought that was all aftermarket.

Not on the trunk lid, but they festoon performance pack/m-sport cars with them from the factory.

All 6 of mine are stock, as-it-came-from-the-factory. Though to be fair, it was the closest you could order an E46 sedan to being an M car. :v:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have at least ten on my M-sport F10. Y'all don't forget to count your door sills and dead pedal. Dang, I may be missing a bunch now that I think of it...

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Powershift posted:

If a car is ordered with the m-sport shifter and steering wheel, you get 2, m-sport suspension gets you like 10 more.

I can't wait until the m-sport active tourer minivan gets like 30.

My wife and I ordered a 328d wagon, and I think I specced it to come with the adaptive suspension. I can't wait for our diesel station wagon to show up festooned with M badges.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

chutwig posted:

My wife and I ordered a 328d wagon, and I think I specced it to come with the adaptive suspension. I can't wait for our diesel station wagon to show up festooned with M badges.

You must post more about that car both here and in the wagon thread. How did you spec it? In gory detail please.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

chutwig posted:

My 335d was m-sport and had a whole bunch too. My X1 m-sport is coming with an equal amount of them, sills, wheels, dead pedal, wheel. I should replace the X with an M on the back. and remove the s28i and put on an m28i or something stupid.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My search continues:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4627049715.html

2009 328i with sport package and manual

Thinking of flying down to San Jose next weekend, pick it up and drive SF to Crescent City on the coast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Any of you guys ever rented what Hertz bills as the 3-series "or similar" in Europe (specifically Spain)? The website claims it's manual + 51 mpg, which to me makes me think diesel - anyone driven one/how's the driving experience, and any ideas what might be substituted in as "or similar"?

The other option is locking in a Mini Countryman since I can choose that exact model of car... Looking for something fun that my wife & I can rip around the hills in and have some fun driving, the 3-series (presumed) diesel's torque sounds like the kind of thing that makes that activity even better. I wish they rented more manual cars in the US.