Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
51mpg makes me think it's a 320d, which isn't torquey like the 335d you're thinking of. In fact, I would expect a 320d to be very anemic and in-fun compared to the mini. Get the mini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

it's europe, the mini is probably going to be a tiny diesel too.

Hertz rents the jag F-type in europe, that definitely won't be a diesel.

edit: diesel countryman:

quote:

Output:
66 kW (90 hp) @ 4,000 rpm
Acceleration (0-62mph):
12.9 s
Top speed:
106mph
Fuel consumption (combined):
67.3 mpg
CO2 emissions:
116 - 111 g/km
Max. torque/engine speed:
215 Nm @ 1,750-2,500 rpm

Pretty sure that acceleration time is down a 7% grade.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 24, 2014

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The Mini is claimed at 41 mpg and also outputs more CO2 than the BMW (something like 143, but more than the diesel listing there so presumably it's a petrol engine), all of this of course is 'Subject to a rental car's website being anywhere near accurate'. But yeah, if there's nothing special about the 320d then I'll probably get the Mini.

The airport we're going to doesn't have the Jaaaaaaag, alas.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

HotCanadianChick posted:

51mpg makes me think it's a 320d, which isn't torquey like the 335d you're thinking of. In fact, I would expect a 320d to be very anemic and in-fun compared to the mini. Get the mini.

It may be 51 British mpg, which would be around the 43 mpg claimed by the N47. It's not a ridiculous engine but it'll still push a 3-series to 60 mph in 7-odd seconds.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Ultimate Mango posted:

You must post more about that car both here and in the wagon thread. How did you spec it? In gory detail please.

As soon as it arrives I shall surely enter the wagon thread triumphantly.

It is loaded with All The Stuff, basically every thing that can be had on the 3er (we went into it with the mentality that you can't rebuild the car once it's built, so get all the toys now). We're also going down to a one-car family, and my wife has a bit of a bad habit of bumping her car into things, so we put all the driver assistance nannies on it as well to try to avoid expensive body work.

We're both really looking forward to it arriving. It's been sitting at the Port of Newark since last Tuesday, and I can almost see the port from my apartment window, but apparently there's a backlog of like 3000 cars to push through customs and our car's being held up in that pile somewhere. Except for the fact that it's an automatic (my wife unsuccessfully tried to learn to drive my manual GTI and it didn't work out), it's pretty much a dream car. AWD diesel station wagon? It's like Jesus on wheels.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

chutwig posted:

It may be 51 British mpg, which would be around the 43 mpg claimed by the N47. It's not a ridiculous engine but it'll still push a 3-series to 60 mph in 7-odd seconds.

Being rental spec its as likely to be a 316d which is no where near as impressive.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Something interesting popped up when I brought my car in for its 15K service. The oil service interval was shortened to 5000 miles - the computer says 4200 miles to the next change after driving it a couple months. I always did a change in between because I didn't trust the assertion that the oil would last 12-15K, but I'm wondering, has BMW changed their minds about it?

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Das Volk posted:

Something interesting popped up when I brought my car in for its 15K service. The oil service interval was shortened to 5000 miles - the computer says 4200 miles to the next change after driving it a couple months. I always did a change in between because I didn't trust the assertion that the oil would last 12-15K, but I'm wondering, has BMW changed their minds about it?

I can't remember what you drive, but I did see this:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868291

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

TacoHavoc posted:

I can't remember what you drive, but I did see this:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868291

Aha! I have an E92 M3, produced in July of 2013. They must have changed the M cars to 5000 miles. Blackstone said BMW was insane for suggesting such a long interval for that motor.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I feel iffy going 5000 miles with full synth on my GTI. I'd never make it to 5000 in an M3.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BraveUlysses posted:

My search continues:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4627049715.html

2009 328i with sport package and manual

Thinking of flying down to San Jose next weekend, pick it up and drive SF to Crescent City on the coast

Pulled the Carfax? Any more pictures...specifically from the side dead on.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
I usually know better than to share things I love with goons, but god drat it I can't help it this time. Let me share with you my first car, Bimmer goons.

After a long long period of searching for a nice 5 speed E30 cabrio or E34 touring in the Bay Area... I completely caved and bought a (poor as gently caress) E46! I'm so god drat in love with it it's stupid.

2003 325i with 150k miles. Purchased from a mechanic who fixed all the usual E46 problems. Has some city living damage but that can easily be fixed. It drives like a loving dream and the interior is pretty god drat nice considering it's mileage. Nothing is broken and life is wonderful. Cost me $4,800

:allears:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Chemmy posted:

I feel iffy going 5000 miles with full synth on my GTI. I'd never make it to 5000 in an M3.

Send it to Blackstone. I do a 10k interval and they say I can go longer.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm just conservative and the cost of an oil change isn't high enough for me to wait that long.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Pulled the Carfax? Any more pictures...specifically from the side dead on.

No carfax yet, but she did send me a bunch of pics. It's not perfect but overall is in really good shape IMO.

Only problem that complicates the purchase is that she still owes more than its worth (to bmw financial) and getting the title handed over to me might require escrow or having a dealership handle it.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

DSC off + yellow handbrake light update; It was off this morning, then I got a "bing" noise and it came on after about a mile. Later today when I started the car it was off and stayed off for 20 miles :shrug:

My only theory is; I still emptied and filled the brake reservoir with new fluid during the aborted flush attempt as it was black anyway, today its a slightly darker colour but still looks new. Perhaps the old fluid was confusing the sensor. Tomorrow morning I get a new caliper and proper bleed done.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My DSC light doesn't come on until the first time i do something that would engage it.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

My earlier issue was that it was permanently off, and would bong at me on every startup. I would have replaced the brake sensor as that was the part throwing the error but it seems to have corrected itself and now I have proper DSC so I don't kick the back end out when I attempt to join a motorway enthusiastically in the wet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sounds like a boring way to live.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Most of the vacuum lines and boots around the intake on my 95 318i are trashed (with one already only being held together by electrical tape), and probably won't survive the process of me taking the upper intake off to work on the IAC valve and clean everything. I guess I could just buy bulk vacuum hose and rig it, but I'd rather try replacing them with the fitted parts first. Is there a decent source for new ones? The dealership here surprisingly gave me a good price for the bit between the MAF and throttle body, but I wouldn't mind saving some money.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
RealOEM.com and Pelican would be my go to.

Or get some part numbers and cross reference into rockauto. But last time I purchased parts from the dealer, they were pretty drat close to aftermarket pricing, but with the added bonus of being OEM.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Same.

I've been buying a surprising amount of OEM parts online as the pricing is pretty competitive with the aftermarket.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I was able to enjoy the full BMW experience this trip. On borrowing the car for a road trip, it decided to have a sensor malfunction that made it believe it had an ABS error.

As a result I got to enjoy the last 250 miles with no cruise control. :v:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

IuniusBrutus posted:

Most of the vacuum lines and boots around the intake on my 95 318i are trashed (with one already only being held together by electrical tape), and probably won't survive the process of me taking the upper intake off to work on the IAC valve and clean everything. I guess I could just buy bulk vacuum hose and rig it, but I'd rather try replacing them with the fitted parts first. Is there a decent source for new ones? The dealership here surprisingly gave me a good price for the bit between the MAF and throttle body, but I wouldn't mind saving some money.

A lot of it can be replaced with generic vacuum hoses but I'd use realoem or bmwfans.info for part numbers, autohausaz or rmeuropean for parts (and pelican if either of those sites do not have what you need).

you might look into 'cleaning up the mess under the intake' which involves re-doing and removing some of the hoses.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

El Scotch posted:

I was able to enjoy the full BMW experience this trip. On borrowing the car for a road trip, it decided to have a sensor malfunction that made it believe it had an ABS error.

As a result I got to enjoy the last 250 miles with no cruise control. :v:

I never get to use cruise control on any of my cars for more than 10 minutes or so because people are morons and cannot maintain a consistent speed on the freeway and let me just cruise along in the middle lane. There's always some jackass who has to do 5 under in the middle lane and shitlords in the left who will ride my rear end if I pull into their lane to pass the slow people in the middle. So I end up constantly turning it on and off to pass or because I have to slow down to match the jackwagon holding up the middle lane and just get frustrated and end up leaving it off.

So what I'm saying is I'm pretty jealous you even had a 250 mile stretch of highway where cruise would have even been useful to begin with. :argh:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I used my cruise control to travel nearly the entire length of our local freeway the other day. It was a lifetime first and it was amazing.

Also on cruise control chat, my CC has a really weird quirk where if I try and use it before the engine is warmed up, it blows the fuse.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

revmoo posted:

I used my cruise control to travel nearly the entire length of our local freeway the other day. It was a lifetime first and it was amazing.

Also on cruise control chat, my CC has a really weird quirk where if I try and use it before the engine is warmed up, it blows the fuse.

Too much resistance on the throttle cable/butterfly when its cold?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It doesn't happen when it's cold out, only when the engine is cold. My guess is that the cruise control computer has a 'map' for adjusting throttle and the engine being cold throws it off which causes it to actuate a lot more than it should which draws too much current. At least that's my guess.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I have a 2000 323i wagon and I've noticed a couple times in the past couple days (twice out of 5 starts) that I'll turn the key to start the car and it does nothing for a beat before starting up. Like, there's a half second delay before the engine starts up. The dash lights come on and such (the battery is fairly new), but yeah.

I'm not a huge car guy (obviously) but I'm not afraid to try to understand what's up. Any ideas? Thanks in any case.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Sounds like a sticky relay. Wait until it becomes a regular issue and then swap the starter relay with another one.

VV good call. My poormobile doesn't have a clutch safety switch so I tend to forget later models had them. That's probably one of the first things I'd check.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 26, 2014

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

mutata posted:

I have a 2000 323i wagon and I've noticed a couple times in the past couple days (twice out of 5 starts) that I'll turn the key to start the car and it does nothing for a beat before starting up. Like, there's a half second delay before the engine starts up. The dash lights come on and such (the battery is fairly new), but yeah.

I'm not a huge car guy (obviously) but I'm not afraid to try to understand what's up. Any ideas? Thanks in any case.

Is it a manual? The clutch stop in my touring is in the correct spot to engage my admittedly worn clutch, but doesn't always tickle the clutch lockout switch. Reengaging the clutch solves the issue.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

revmoo posted:

Sounds like a sticky relay. Wait until it becomes a regular issue and then swap the starter relay with another one.

VV good call. My poormobile doesn't have a clutch safety switch so I tend to forget later models had them. That's probably one of the first things I'd check.

Agh, I knew I forgot to mention something. Mine's an automatic. Only the lamest of the poor momwagons for me! I'll research starter relays. Thanks, everyone!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

My traction control seems to be kicking in more often than usual. What could be the issue?
Sometimes going round the inside of a roundabout at very little speed kicks it off.
04 M3 on very good tyres.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Bape Culture posted:

My traction control seems to be kicking in more often than usual. What could be the issue?
Sometimes going round the inside of a roundabout at very little speed kicks it off.

I mean I'm no expert but it might have to do with all your "performance" modifications and your stupid, ill-suited wheels.

But like I said, what the gently caress do I know

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

MrChips posted:

I mean I'm no expert but it might have to do with all your "performance" modifications and your stupid, ill-suited wheels.

But like I said, what the gently caress do I know

Probably nothing since they're off the car you thick oval office.
Nice passive aggressive schtick though. Insanely cool.
It's a good job you put performance in quotes as this shows you know much more than schirmer and many of the other best bmw builders in the world. Great stuff.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Ok simmer down now children don't make me turn this thread around.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

revmoo posted:

It's pretty irritating to be constantly and brutally burned by tepid cretins with no clue in a forum that's supposed to be about automotive insanity of I'm honest man. I'm sure I'll be probated shortly for actually driving quickly around a circuit in a proper car too. Fs

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I have no idea what's causing it but I found a detailed run down on the abs system the other day. Looking at the inputs might help you. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-qFN_YARaIQUUlTMXp4ZzBScTA/edit

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

revmoo posted:

Nice backseat modding...Not. Stfu, and talk about my BMW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bape Culture posted:

What have you changed lately?

Bape Culture posted:

It's pretty irritating to be constantly and brutally burned by tepid cretins with no clue in a forum that's supposed to be about automotive insanity of I'm honest man. I'm sure I'll be probated shortly for actually driving quickly around a circuit in a proper car too. Fs
It's okay, there are better forums for actual information out there. :) You're involved in some of the most hardcore AI poo poo out of anyone here.