Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Here's some haunting folk music to get you in the mood for autumn:

You Are Wolf - Oh Ruin
Maz O'Connor - The Mississippi Woman
Vikesh Kapoor - I Dreamt Blues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009
So I just started getting into (what might be?) folk/alt-country. I'm really, really bad with genre labels--I just know what I like. If I like the Civil Wars, Shovels & Rope, and Brown Bird what else might I enjoy?

I'm sorry for the really broad question, I'm kind of shooting in the dark here.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I'm going to assume you are new to this music overall. Let me throw a bunch of names, and see what sticks for you:

- Steve Earle (I would start with Train a Comin' or El Corazon)
- Hank III (Straight to Hell is his best)
- Shooter Jennings
- Hackensaw Boys (good modern Bluegrass)
- OCMS
- The Avett Brothers (stick to their early stuff)
- Drive-By Truckers
- Sturgill Simpson
- Townes Van Zandt
- the soundtrack to Broken Circle Breakdown
- Levon Helm
- Johnny Cash
- Iron & Wine (early stuff is the best too)
- Ray Lamontagne

These are a few names I have listened to over the years besides who you mentioned. They all are different sub-genres, but you may find something you like.

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009

nate fisher posted:

I'm going to assume you are new to this music overall. Let me throw a bunch of names, and see what sticks for you:

- Shooter Jennings
- OCMS
- Drive-By Truckers
- Sturgill Simpson
- Townes Van Zandt
- Levon Helm
- Johnny Cash
- Ray Lamontagne

These are a few names I have listened to over the years besides who you mentioned. They all are different sub-genres, but you may find something you like.

Thank you. Yes, I am kind of new to it overall. I've listened to Iron & Wine and Ray Lamontagne for a few years now and liked them, but never really sought out more like them. The Shepherd's Dog has long been one of my favorite albums (and one of the few I've bothered to track down on vinyl). I've been getting into the Drive-By Truckers recently but have only dipped my toe in thus far.

I'll check out the other stuff and will monitor this thread. Thanks again for your recommendations; anyone else is welcome to chime in as well.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Jason Isbell (Southeastern)

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

nate fisher posted:

- Shooter Jennings
- OCMS
- Drive-By Truckers
- Sturgill Simpson
- Townes Van Zandt
- Levon Helm
- Johnny Cash
- Ray Lamontagne

This is a good list, just let me add:

- Willie Nelson (check out Phases and Stages)
- Gram Parsons (especially the Byrds' Sweetheart of the Rodeo)
- Jerry Jeff Walker

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=forqmom3YuY

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Waylon Jennings.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I very much like Wilco (especially One Sunday Morning) and would like some similar sounding things

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Ewar Woowar posted:

I very much like Wilco (especially One Sunday Morning) and would like some similar sounding things

Wilco's Jeff Tweedy has a new record being released next month under the name "Tweedy" (his son plays drums on it and he plays almost everything else) and several tracks from it have been released already. You might dig that.

ninja edit; pre-order it and you get to download a new song a week until it gets released.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Blast Fantasto posted:

This is a good list, just let me add:

- Willie Nelson (check out Phases and Stages)
- Gram Parsons (especially the Byrds' Sweetheart of the Rodeo)
- Jerry Jeff Walker

And I'd add Trampled By Turtles, as well.

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009
Thank you for the feedback y'all. Clearly I have some homework.

Haven't gotten to all the artists yet, but this weekend I worked my way through Southern Rock Opera by Drive-By Truckers a couple of times. That was very much my poo poo

Edit: yeah Trampled by Turtles is pretty big with my friend group since I live in Minnesota. Haven't really given them a fair listen yet though; I'll rectify that.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ3kdFVZ_HQ

e: Stoney LaRue livin room cover with... Wade Bowen, Randy Rogers, Cody Johnson, Kylie Rae Harris, Roger Creager and others holy poo poo.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Sunshine Mix posted:

Thank you for the feedback y'all. Clearly I have some homework.

Haven't gotten to all the artists yet, but this weekend I worked my way through Southern Rock Opera by Drive-By Truckers a couple of times. That was very much my poo poo

Edit: yeah Trampled by Turtles is pretty big with my friend group since I live in Minnesota. Haven't really given them a fair listen yet though; I'll rectify that.

WOO MINNESOTA!!!!!!!

we're awesome. so very awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I4pIULFGLI

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Picked up a couple of folky albums on Bandcamp a week or so ago from bands I haven't seen mentioned here.

The Oh Hellos are a duo with a bunch of guest musicians. There's mandolins, guitars, group backing vocals, a kick drum and you probably get the jist. If you listen to 'Like The Dawn', 'In Memoriam' and 'I Was Wrong' you'll get a decent overview of the album. It's a good album, but if they sounded a bit less like Mumford & Sons I wouldn't complain.

Poor Old Shine have recently changed their name to Parsonsfield, but they haven't updated their store pages. Oh well. A touch more Americana-esque than the other lot, and a bit more work-in-progress as well to be honest, there's still a lot to like. The up-tempo tracks here are probably the best (they sound like the drummy bits off Trampled By Turtles' Trouble), but the slower songs aren't that bad. Listen to 'Footsteps In My Ears', 'Punching The Air' and 'Right There' and make your mind up. Or just listen to 'Punching The Air' a hundred times instead.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I mentioned it before, but let me whole-heartily recommend the soundtrack to the Belgium movie, 'The Broken Circle Breakdown'. As some who was born and grew up in the Appalachians (Western NC and East Tennessee), it is amazing to me that a foreign movie is one of the best love letters to bluegrass I have ever seen. While the movie might not be for everyone (I loved it, but it is depressing in a 'Blue Valentine' way), the soundtrack is a must listen for fans of bluegrass.

Some of my favorite songs from the soundtrack:

The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XireE7v5Ep0

Wayfaring Stranger (this version replaced Johnny Cash's version as my favorite)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkAJXKAS3Ks

Reuben's Train

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqO6Bifm_rM

Movie trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a50DJkCxqw

If you ever plan to watch the movie, be carefully because some of music clips are taken directly from the movie, and feature spoilers. My links are pretty spoiler free.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 1, 2014

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Since they're apparently touring the entire length of Tennessee here in two weeks, I guess I should ask the thread: is it worth going to see The Avett Brothers live? I'm a fan of their older music especially but I'd still have a good time unless it's literally just material from their last two albums.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Since they're apparently touring the entire length of Tennessee here in two weeks, I guess I should ask the thread: is it worth going to see The Avett Brothers live? I'm a fan of their older music especially but I'd still have a good time unless it's literally just material from their last two albums.

I saw them last year in Knoxville. It was a fun show, and they played some of their old stuff too. My wife really loved them (I'm so-so a fan), but when I asked her if she wanted to see them again (they are back in Knoxville this month) she didn't want to spend the money on it. So my take is if you are any part a fan of their music check them out live at least once. Also google their current setlist, and see if the songs they are playing live are what you want to hear.

If anyone is in the Knoxville area The Hackensaw Boys are playing at Barleys this Friday. They put on a great live bar bluegrass show, and it's free as long as you arrive early enough. We get there around 8pm order some pizzas, and drink some excellent craft beer until the show starts.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I've seen them live twice, but I'm not sure I'd go again either. Last time, their set was mostly stuff off the new albums, which I didn't like nearly as much as some of their older work. Still, as long as tickets aren't too expensive, you could do worse. They have great stage presence.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

nate fisher posted:

As some who was born and grew up in the Appalachians (Western NC and East Tennessee), it is amazing to me that a foreign movie is one of the best love letters to bluegrass I have ever seen.

I have to say, one of the coolest and weirdest experiences in my life was going to a bluegrass festival in the Netherlands. Basically a bunch of weird European hipsters cosplaying as rednecks, but hell it was a lot of fun.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 5, 2014

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I have to say, one of the coolest and weirdest experiences in my life was going to a bluegrass festival in the Netherlands. Basically a bunch of weird European hipsters cosplaying as rednecks, but hell it was a lot of fun.

I know from being a Hackensaw Boys fan, that they have a large following in the Netherlands (they even have a live album recorded in Kinderdijik). It still warps my mind.

Edit: Also I'm jealous you got to experience that.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 5, 2014

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

kingturnip posted:

Picked up a couple of folky albums on Bandcamp a week or so ago from bands I haven't seen mentioned here.

The Oh Hellos are a duo with a bunch of guest musicians. There's mandolins, guitars, group backing vocals, a kick drum and you probably get the jist. If you listen to 'Like The Dawn', 'In Memoriam' and 'I Was Wrong' you'll get a decent overview of the album. It's a good album, but if they sounded a bit less like Mumford & Sons I wouldn't complain.

Poor Old Shine have recently changed their name to Parsonsfield, but they haven't updated their store pages. Oh well. A touch more Americana-esque than the other lot, and a bit more work-in-progress as well to be honest, there's still a lot to like. The up-tempo tracks here are probably the best (they sound like the drummy bits off Trampled By Turtles' Trouble), but the slower songs aren't that bad. Listen to 'Footsteps In My Ears', 'Punching The Air' and 'Right There' and make your mind up. Or just listen to 'Punching The Air' a hundred times instead.

I've seen the Oh Hellos twice in concert and they are absolutely loving dominant. Currently they have 12 people touring with them and playing on stage.

They used to be a jesus band though and that sometimes shows through... Regardless, I paid less than 20 bucks each time and it was one of the best live concerts I've seen.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

The same in Quebec with Jug Band music.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It seems hipsters love their bluegrass. Last night seeing the Hackensaw Boys over half the crowd looked like an Urban Outfitters ad. Last time I saw them the local college (Tennessee) was on winter break, so I was kind of surprised. Still I give these kids credit, because they danced like a bunch of maniacs all night. It made for a fun night.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

nate fisher posted:

Just wanted to say that I listened to this soundtrack. Loved it. Watched the film. Cried like a god damned child.

Holy poo poo.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Blast Fantasto posted:

I've been listening to the new album Metamodern Sounds in Country Music by Sturgill Simpson. It's really great; he has this voice that's a dead ringer for Waylon Jennings or Merle Haggard but with trippy, almost psychedelic lyrics.

If you like outlaw or classic country check it out, it's on spotify.

EDIT: here's a song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWx6csgGkg4

Seriously, if anyone isn't listening to this daily they need to check their head.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

mennoknight posted:

Seriously, if anyone isn't listening to this daily they need to check their head.

Both his records are brilliant. Hopefully seeing him in Glasgow in October...

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Sunshine Mix posted:

Hey Minnesota goon! A lot of my friends are into them but I'm not all that keen to their style. If you do like them, may want to check out another similar band from Minnesota, Diet Folk. A couple of my friends have seen them and really enjoyed em. Anyways my old roommate made one of TbT's tour tshirts a few years back, the ones with the outlines of their heads and beards.

Reason I posted was I recently listened to two albums that I've always lumped into alt-country and have been my favorites for over a decade now:

Songs Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co. - Jason Molina at his finest, his voice is couldn't be anymore fitting with the instrumental side of things. "Just Be Simple" ranks among one of my favorite songs ever and the very first line "You never hear me talk about one day getting out\Why put a new address on the same old loneliness?" is just perfect.

The other is The Silver Jews - American Water which features the likes of Steve Berman and Pavements'/The Jicks' Stephen Malkmus on vocals in a few songs. It has the best opening line of any album ever "In 1984 I was hospitalized for approaching perfection" and features a good mixture of songs that are either fun and laid back or very well written.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jeherrin posted:

Both his records are brilliant. Hopefully seeing him in Glasgow in October...

I actually prefer his first album to the second, theyre both great though.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I actually prefer his first album to the second, theyre both great though.

Yeah, I know where you're coming from. Life Ain't Fair and the World is Mean, and You Can Have the Crown are staples of my Open Mic repertoire.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

There was a lovely vertical cell phone video, now deleted, of Tom Hiddleston singing "Move it on Over" at some thing this week. It wasn't like real bad but it sounded like we were seeing a weird transitional point in his preparation for the role -- like he'd worked at losing the British accent but hadn't actually gone as far as trying to actually sound like Hank. I can't imagine that's his finished Hank voice.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I had the pleasure of seeing Pharis & Jason Romero in concert last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZCuPVwhLM0

If you are into Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings you need to check these guys out. Jason even makes his own banjos.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I've been listening to these guys pretty religiously.. The linked song seems to be the biggie but I think the whole thing is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN8Y3lo-Tao

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bonzo posted:

I had the pleasure of seeing Pharis & Jason Romero in concert last night.

If you are into Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings you need to check these guys out. Jason even makes his own banjos.

Well that's really going after a specific sound, isn't it.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

There was a lovely vertical cell phone video, now deleted, of Tom Hiddleston singing "Move it on Over" at some thing this week. It wasn't like real bad but it sounded like we were seeing a weird transitional point in his preparation for the role -- like he'd worked at losing the British accent but hadn't actually gone as far as trying to actually sound like Hank. I can't imagine that's his finished Hank voice.

It was horrible. And what rubbed me wrong was it was almost like a pop country poo poo singer would do. No timbre, no moan, and none of the high lonesome sound. When I hear Hank I hear loneliness. This guy had none of that.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Out of interest, what festival was this? Would you recommend it again?

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
I can't remember if I'm square or not for liking Wilco and considering it alt-country! :angel:

However, NPR just posted a new Tiny Desk video of Tweedy, Jeff Tweedy and his son's new band. It's not bad!

http://www.npr.org/event/music/350594224/tweedy-tiny-desk-concert?autoplay=true

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Has anyone brought up Doc Watson? If not I'm going to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAbrnjdtYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS9oRdOfGDI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7iMBBmFlrs

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
This may be a weird question, but:

I live up in the frozen tundra of the Great Lakes and I've noticed that my country listening goes down a lot in the winter, probably because listening to music about sunny days, cotton fields, and west Texas doesn't fit in with the north pole scene out of my window.

So is anyone making northern country music, for lack of a better term? Blizzard soundtracks with a twang?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I too live in the Great Lakes area. This was my winter playlist from 2? years ago. I guess I didn't make one last winter. Probably because I was too busy freezing to death.