Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
:siren: :siren: :siren: Season 2 Discussion starts HERE :siren: :siren: :siren:

I honestly wasn’t going to do a thread.

The couple of times I tried to plug BoJack Horseman in Couch Chat, I picked up some resistance — which is annoying, but my tastes aren’t exactly discerning, so whatever. Between my posts in Couch Chat being met with skepticism, the generally lukewarm reviews this show has been getting, and the fact that it’s very, very hard to take a show named BoJack Horseman seriously, my plan was to watch it, maybe rave about it on Twitter when I needed to, but generally just keep my enjoyment of the show off the forums.

Then I finished the season, and I said "gently caress the plan."

On Alan Sepinwall and Dan Fienberg’s podcast, the two critics noted that the show fell short when it trafficked in well-worn Hollywood satire. They’re not wrong; that is absolutely the majority of the first six episodes, and that broad satire remains present through the second half of the series. (It’s no coincidence that its worst episode, “One Trick Pony,” is almost entirely satire-focused.) For those who were unaware of the show, here’s the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1eJMig5Ik4

Look at that cast: Gob! Jerri Blank! Annie Adderall! Jesse Pinkman! And is that Andrew Lloyd Weber I heard? What a great cast for a satire of good ol’ Hollyweird, amirite? And some of the characters, including most of the main ones, are anthropomorphized animals that get into decidedly adult situations! And nobody acts like this interspecies mingling is odd! Why, we haven’t seen anything like that since the days of Seth MacFarlane!

Pictured: BoJack in Horsin' Around with his three young co-stars

And that is, for sure, what you’re getting to begin with. BoJack Horseman (Will Arnett) was the star of Horsin’ Around, a Full House-alike that aired in the 90s. BoJack played the kah-ray-zee bachelor that was inexplicably saddled with two teenagers and a cute little girl, solving each of their issues in 30 minutes, making people laugh and warming their hearts. Of course the show couldn't last forever, and when it ended, he slid into that weird area of C-list fame where people knew of him but never took him seriously. He doesn't really need to work, but it's not like the world's knocking at his door anyway.

So this is his life now, dramatized by the opening credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQvIR1oL1vE

He floats through, concerned with nothing but himself, oblivious to the life happening around him. He spends his nights getting hosed up. He keeps finding himself underwater, only to somehow float back to the surface by morning. For the record, this should be your first clue that the show is at least slightly more concerned with character than toothless jokes about the culture of celebrity, but we’ll get into that later.

The show picks up in the midst of BoJack’s haze of a life. The closest people he has to friends are Todd (Aaron Paul, right), the loser who’s been surfing on his couch for five years, and Princess Carolyn (Amy Sedaris), who just broke up with him (but is still his agent). There’s also Mr. Peanutbutter (Paul F. Tompkins): He starred in a sitcom that was a little too close to Horsin’ Around for BoJack's liking, but he came out of it with a more positive, excitable attitude than the cynical and depressed BoJack. Not that it makes him a better person, mind you: Imagine a dumber, more mindlessly cruel Tom Hanks, and you’ll get the idea.

Pictured: BoJack tolerating Todd

Anyway, BoJack “wants” to write his memoirs and cement his legacy, but he’s too busy doing whatever else, and his financially strapped publisher (a penguin, naturally) is running out of patience. Penguin wants to to hire a ghostwriter, which the emotionally sealed-off BoJack is resistant to. This changes when BoJack meets the writer Penguin has in mind: Diane Nguyen (Alison Brie), a reserved, smart, and comforting woman who popped onto everyone’s radar with her biography of Secretariat — incidentally, BoJack’s dream role. BoJack and Diane take an immediate liking to each other, but she happens to be dating Mr. Peanutbutter, tempering their all-too-obvious attractions.

Pictured: BoJack learns Diane Nguyen's boyfriend is his rival, Mr. Peanutbutter

The spine of the show is BoJack collaborating on these memoirs with Diane, which forces him to crack open and examine his life, and he does not like what he sees. However, it turns out that the six episodes that were sent to critics examines this only in the most basic of ways, so it’s carried almost entirely on your sense of humor. Willa Paskin, whose review from Slate I shamelessly cannibalized parts of this OP from, puts it best:

quote:

BoJack is perhaps a little more clever than it is uproariously funny, but it is often very clever, and, moreover, well-tuned to the ludicrousness of the sort of low-level fame that surrounds BoJack. In one episode, Todd sells tickets to BoJack’s house by pretending it is David Boreanaz’s, whoever exactly that is, Todd’s not sure. Another episode features Sarah Lynn (Kristen Schaal), who once co-starred as a little girl on Horsin’ Around and then turned herself into a sexpot pop star with an anthem called “Prickly Muffin.” Now at 30, Sarah Lynn is a blithe drug addict dating Andrew Garfield and being out-sex-potted by a 14-year-old dubstep dolphin star named Sextina Aquafina. (The animals and their names are, generally speaking, delightful. There’s a rooster who runs by every morning screaming “Wake up!” and a chicken who, when startled, craps out an egg. There’s even a maggot mortician who slithers toward coffins.) BoJack, feeling guilty about not being there for Sarah Lynn when she was younger, takes her in, lets her destroy his house, and then starts sleeping with her, making himself as much a part of her problem as everyone else. The sex is even photographed by two paparazzi—birds—who spend the next three episodes trying to get BoJack on the phone to blackmail him. He doesn’t answer, though, because he doesn’t accept calls from unknown numbers.

To add to that: There’s a scene in the second episode where BoJack gets into an argument with a seal (voiced by Patton Oswalt — he also voices BoJack’s publisher and a host of other small roles) over a box of muffins that the seal called “dibs” on in perhaps dubious fashion. BoJack spitefully takes the muffins anyway. Later, during his first writing session with Diane, he gets a call from Princess Carolyn, screaming at him to turn on the TV. It turns out that the seal is a Navy vet who just got back from a tour in Afghanistan, and now he’s complaining about BoJack to a newsman (a whale) voiced by Keith Olbermann. The whale goes on a trademark Olbermann blowhard rant (note: that doesn’t link to the scene, that’s an actual Olbermann rant for the few who might not know what I’m talking about). It’s filled with big words and righteous, educated fury; he even drops a full-throated “HAVE YOU NO SHAME?” And it all leads up to his big point, that BoJack's "antics” are no longer funny “WHEN YOU STEAL A MEAL FROM NEAL MCBEAL THE NAVY SEAL!”

If any of that sounds even mildly amusing to you, you’ll be able to handle these six episodes just fine. If not, then getting you to stick with it through Episode 7 is a hell of an ask, enough that it’s understandable if you’d rather not accept.

Pictured: Princess Carolyn on a date with BoJack

But it turns out that episode 7 — the very first episode that wasn’t made available to critics — is where it all turns and the show’s true strengths become clear. The episode switches story focus a bit to Princess Carolyn getting caught up in an agency merger, facing irrelevancy in the form of her younger, perkier, family-driven rival Vanessa Gekko. Backed onto the precipice, Carolyn evaluates her life and begins to ask herself how much her obsession with work has actually cost her. The question takes her through an emotional roundabout that leaves her no closer to an answer — on a day, it’s revealed through the episode’s brutal punchline, where most people would want such answers.

Episode 8 examines BoJack’s history, lays the ground for his regrets, and ends on nearly as tough a note as 7 did. After an ultimately ill-advised trip back to Satireland in episodes 9 and (mostly) 10, 11 is a show-stopping trip with a gut-punch of an ending that justifies the existence of the entire series. “Downer Ending” is to BoJack Horseman what “Nature” is to Moral Orel. It’s such a confident commitment to the story’s darkest psychological edges, that it potentially snaps the whole series into relief. Just like “LOL CHRISTIANS” was both the weakest part of Moral Orel and necessary to set up the dark psychology of its characters, it turns out the lame-rear end “LOL HOLLYWOOD” stuff in BoJack Horseman serves as the context that allows the show to demonstrate how so many of its players wrestle with the malaise of life. By the end of the show, this stupid cartoon is populated with characters weighed down by regret, scared of and driven by their lack of viable options. It's not exactly subtle, but it's effective and even powerful work. (Now, if you have a problem with the “LOL ANIMALS” stuff, well, there’s no deeper meaning to that, that’s just how they roll. Deal with it or get out.)

It helps that Arnett is down for this like few other roles he’s had before: he takes his stock “narcissistic jackass” persona and slowly turns it inside out to show us this broken human-horse being who is desperate to make something real out of his life, but holds himself back because he fears it may already be too late. When it’s revealed at the beginning of Episode 12 why he wants Secretariat so badly, it loving hurts. And both his final line to Diane, and his final line of the season, cut deep.

There’s no getting around the fact that this show is flawed, perhaps fatally to some people. But it is something very special, and I urge you to give this a chance. When it connects with people, it does so in a big way.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I watched the whole season yesterday and was wondering why it wasn't getting more attention here. I liked that it serialized a lot of elements and things come back to bite characters in the rear end 3-4 episodes later. It's nice to have an animated comedy that doesn't loop back to the status quo at the end of the episode. Gob and Pinkman do a good job too.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Watched the whole season over last night & today. Fantastic show. Was expecting garbage like Drawn Together but it got better and better as the season went on.

Bleak, existential and genuinely touching in places.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Just getting to episode 10. If you have Netflix and you like comedy, you would be silly to not give this show a chance. I really hope this gets a few years to develop, it has a very interesting mix of zoned-out narcissism, cultural satire, and characters worth rooting for. It takes a few episodes to spin up, but it's worth it. And that title sequence is my new favorite. I think it's even better than Mad Men's.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I binged through the whole season last night and was looking for what people were saying about it. It really does get better as the show gets on, and Downer Ending had a lot more punch than I would have expected.

But really though, the real star of the show was Travis. I couldn't stop laughing at his stupid gimmick.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This show started out kind of bad, but got better the longer it went on, and by the end of episode 11, I was completely invested, and the ending was hard to sit through, it was so mean and sad. The finale was a pretty good epilogue, too.

Also, the Jerry Maguire thing, and Stephen Colbert's character was hilarious to me.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I binge-watched this today and drat, what a show. By the end of the season, you're just so emotionally invested in the characters. And maybe I'm just easily amused but I love the continuity, all the references to things mentioned in previous episodes and all the minor gags in early episodes that become hugely important later on.

What Fun posted:

And that title sequence is my new favorite. I think it's even better than Mad Men's.

Grouplove in the credits is fantastic too. :toot:

Also, Vincent Adultman is the most hilarious thing ever.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

What Fun posted:

And that title sequence is my new favorite. I think it's even better than Mad Men's.

Might be why I hate the title sequence then. Mad Men is a dumpster fire of rancid garbage more boring than the history of boredom. But mostly I hate the title sequence because it's so drat loud.

This show was ok. Parts of it shined (particularly the amazing cast), but most of it was predictable and obvious. Maybe I was too spot on in what I expected from the concept, but it didn't really ever do anything I didn't completely expect it to do. The gags were funny, and I love horrible puns and anthropomorphic animals doing animal stuff, but the whole show was checking off boxes on a list. Nothing at all was surprising or edgy or unexpected or anything like what DP describes it as; it was the "R-rated" cliche-fest of a washed up celebrity's life that we all assume is real, only he's a horse.

That sounds super negative, but I did really enjoy it. I just don't think it's anything to rave about.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Reading the OP reminded me of when people in CineD were trying to hype up Gamer as as "overlooked classic" because of the chilling, subtle social commentary. The social commentary was such shocking, biting insights as "people act different in video games than they do in real life" and "ugly men pretend to be pretty girls online".

BoJack Horseman being a wacky comedy cartoon that gets grim as it goes on is surprising if you have never seen an alt-comedy show or adult-focused cartoon comedy sitcom ever. Will Arnett's last two big television outings, Arrested Development Season 4 and The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret, follows a similar arc of getting more depressing and character-focused as it goes on. When it comes to animated sitcoms it's more noteworthy when they don't get grim and dramatic, even Family Guy has Moral Orel-style episodes where the boys go camping to kill Quagmire's abusive brother-in-law.

It does get better as it goes on, and I wouldn't call it a bad show by any means, but when your baseline is "furry Kid Notorious" it's not exactly high praise to get less terrible as you go on. And even after the show makes its turns from facile commentary on Hollywood to character-driven depression it never has enough confidence to completely break away from the premise, leading to wastes of time like a subplot that is a flaccid parody of Spring Breakers that culminates in girls in bikinis and balaclavas beating up Aaron Paul's character while dubstep plays. Even when it does get away from the Hollywood satire it feels like a lesser version of Duckman than its own thing.

It's a shame, because the cast is great. I didn't realize it until now but Paul F Tompkins is such a delight that he really is basically a human equivalent of a golden retriever :3:

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Google is absolutely everywhere. After binging through this show, I keep getting ads for Toaster Strudel.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Pakled posted:

Also, Vincent Adultman is the most hilarious thing ever.

This. God, I hope they find a way to keep the character going if the show gets more seasons.

I'm glad I stuck it out and got to the latter half of the season. The first few episodes were okay but felt soulless in a way that a lot of mediocre animated shows pan out. But the second half corrected that problem about as well as you could expect. The dialogue and jokes felt like they were clicking a lot better, too.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I've said it elsewhere, but this show honestly reminds me a fair bit of Archer. It's got the same juxtaposition between silly wordplay gags and surprisingly dark satire going, which I think might be part of why it clicked so well for me.

I can only hope that it follows the same quality trajectory, because Archer had a similarly rough first season and skyrocketed in quality when it found its footing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

BoJack Horseman being a wacky comedy cartoon that gets grim as it goes on is surprising if you have never seen an alt-comedy show or adult-focused cartoon comedy sitcom ever. Will Arnett's last two big television outings, Arrested Development Season 4 and The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret, follows a similar arc of getting more depressing and character-focused as it goes on.

A fair point, though I'd argue that Arrested Development Season 4 was (assuming you liked it) slick enough to fold that downward spiral into the specific comic tone of the series. When George Michael punches his father in the face, it's played just as much if not more for laughs than as an expression of how well and truly broken the Bluth family is. I shouldn't speak as conclusively for Todd Margaret since I never watched more than 3 episodes of it, but I assume that since it ended with Todd destroying the world on behalf of North Korea, it maintained some sort of absurdist bent the whole way through.

quote:

When it comes to animated sitcoms it's more noteworthy when they don't get grim and dramatic, even Family Guy has Moral Orel-style episodes where the boys go camping to kill Quagmire's abusive brother-in-law.

Jesus. I try (and yes, fail) to avoid speaking in absolutes, but I can confidently call that the dumbest smart-sounding comparison you could have possibly made.

Whereas that third season of Moral Orel and (I'd argue) that second half of BoJack felt like a payoff to ground that was laid in advance, that episode of Family Guy didn't work precisely because it felt so out of place -- like all of the sudden the writers decided they wanted to do a straight-faced revenge movie in the middle of this wacky animated sitcom. The characters even changed a bit in order to support this idea, and then they went right back to status quo the next week. In fact, though I stopped watching Family Guy and am expecting to put my foot in my mouth at some point, I wouldn't be surprised if we never heard from Quagmire's sister again!

I know what you're saying though, and because I hate that I may be dragging this thread through a slapfight, I'll even help you. There are two episodes of Family Guy I can think of that better support your point. There's "Brian and Stewie," the episode where the two characters get locked in a bank vault and Stewie confronts Brian about the gun in his safe deposit box. And then there's "Seahorse Seashell Party," where Meg finally has enough of her family's poo poo and calls them all out for being horrible to her. Both those episodes arguably work at a dramatic level and are couched in well-established relationships and character traits. Even though things go back on plan for the next episode (and in the case of "Seahorse" I'd argue that it was way too easy, but whatever), at least there's a small sense that these things happened. But in the end, they were still one-offs. Next week it was right back to jokes; these events didn't have emotional repercussions that needed to be dealt with in future episodes. Forget BoJack for a second; that's the key difference between a show like Family Guy and a show like Moral Orel.

But your argument is that it's not inherently special for BoJack Horseman to slide from comedy to drama like it does, and at the very least, I agree that it's not the best show to do so. I even admitted (EDIT: At least in the original version of my OP) that Moral Orel went darker and meant to/should have implied that it did it better.

So what?

That's TWO SHOWS that managed that tonal shift in a sea of hundreds, perhaps thousands. For the sake of argument we'll add in AD Season 4 and Todd Margaret. 4 shows. Let's add in other unnamed alt-comedy shows and adult-focused cartoons like Duckman (RIP). If you've seen most or all of those dozens of shows, then of course BoJack's not going to play as anything inherently interesting. But there are plenty of people out there, and I'm one of them, who haven't. And what BoJack pulls off is going to feel relatively impressive to us. It could even gateway us to these better shows if you weren't so busy trying to prove how overhyped this show is or flaunt how much better those shows were or are.

And not for nothing, but I couldn't handle Todd Margaret for more than three episodes because nearly everyone on that show is some level of unlikable rear end in a top hat. In the case of BoJack, I find myself rooting for a lot of these people despite their worst natures -- something Kid loving Notorious couldn't pull off if one of its characters was a puppy with cancer -- and I suspect a lot of people who enjoy this show feel the same way, regardless of how much experience they have with those shows.

If you feel differently, of course that’s fine. I don't want to harangue you for the opposing opinion that you're free to share, and I'm not particularly interested in changing your mind. I even agree with you on a few points, including:

quote:

...it never has enough confidence to completely break away from the premise, leading to wastes of time like a subplot that is a flaccid parody of Spring Breakers [note: there was a little bit of The Bling Ring in there too] that culminates in girls in bikinis and balaclavas beating up Aaron Paul's character while dubstep plays.

All I ask is that you don't act like you're superior for liking something less than other people do. Gamer has its fans (I'm not one of them, Michael C. Hall's ridiculous dancing aside). So does this. And anyone can make anything sound stupid. The only thing that matters in the end is how you connect with it or don't. Let's talk about that instead.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 31, 2014

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Just binged through this over two days, and I'm glad I watched the whole series. It definitely gets better in the second half, and they've set up an interesting story line for the second season.

I thought that there were a lot of good subtle visual gags that reminded me of futurama/arrested development. Things like BoJack's bed being held up by a bunch of books got a bigger laugh out of me than any of the tired "hey look at this character act like an animal!" gags. The one exception to that is Mr. Peanut Butter's hatred of the post office which made me crack up.

Seph fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 24, 2014

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

I've been busy doing business transactions at the adult office, but you said what was in my mind.

Let's celebrate by relaxing with some R-rated movies!

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
This show is loving hilarious.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I'm kind of surprised at how good Aaron Paul is in this show. You can only tell it's him when he shouts.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I'm kind of surprised at how good Aaron Paul is in this show. You can only tell it's him when he shouts.

I was gonna say, I keep trying to hear Jesse in that character and I barely can. Never would have thought he was so good at voiceover work.

This show is very good, every bit as good as season 1 of Bob's Burgers or Archer. Probably a little better since both those are kinda rocky.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

I was gonna say, I keep trying to hear Jesse in that character and I barely can. Never would have thought he was so good at voiceover work.

If this show keeps going he'll own "Hooray!" about as effectively as he owns "BITCH". Fingers crossed; I'm talking it up where I can.

Oddly enough, some of may favorite little gags come from the less successful first half of the season: The Neal McBeal bit. The Comedy Central Roast of Gloria Steinem. Mr. Peanutbutter's show being created by David Chase and Steven Bochco. The constant confusion over what show David Boreanaz is on. "Dane Cook, who we already know is a thief." If it wasn't already obvious that I'm easily amused, I suppose this show seals it.

Diesel Fucker
Aug 14, 2003

I spent my rent money on tentacle porn.
So glad this thread made me watch the show. I saw an advert and I kinda shrugged and thought, "Maybe on a rainy day, I dunno." But that was such a great ride once it got over that initial set up climb.

Some of the gags were Arrested Development level too. Really great stuff. One that hit me the most was all the mileage they got out of the floorless Halloween store.

And yeah, Vincent Adultman was hilarious.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I like the theme and the animation but (and I'm only up to episode 4), I'm finding all the non-visual humour to be very, painfully obvious. Maybe it gets better later on but to me it doesn't come close to Rick and Morty or even Archer.

I'll stick with it because I love talking animals and the awesome casting keeps me interested, and it's good enough to watch stoned, but I'm not as high on it so far as a lot of you guys.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I plowed through it (see what I did there) over the weekend. It was pretty funny and got really dark as it went on. Bojack sabotaging Toodd's rock opera was really hosed up and showed me how twisted the series really is.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

flashy_mcflash posted:

I like the theme and the animation but (and I'm only up to episode 4), I'm finding all the non-visual humour to be very, painfully obvious. Maybe it gets better later on but to me it doesn't come close to Rick and Morty or even Archer.

I'll stick with it because I love talking animals and the awesome casting keeps me interested, and it's good enough to watch stoned, but I'm not as high on it so far as a lot of you guys.

Keep on with it, the first 6 episodes have a different feel than the back half of the season and it gets a bit darker which sort of levels out the weird humor.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

homo punching bag posted:

Keep on with it, the first 6 episodes have a different feel than the back half of the season and it gets a bit darker which sort of levels out the weird humor.

Thanks -- I was probably going to keep up with it anyway since it's pretty easy to consume but it's good to know it gets better. I love all the cat gags with the agent already so I know they have the chops to do more with the premise and characters.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Speaking of cat lady - Amy Sedaris - did it sound to anyone else like her voice was pitch-corrected upwards just a little bit?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

What Fun posted:

Speaking of cat lady - Amy Sedaris - did it sound to anyone else like her voice was pitch-corrected upwards just a little bit?

I don't know, all I know is that it didn't sound like she usually does at all. Unless the voice she used in Strangers With Candy is also not her real voice...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I was saddled at home with a sprained foot for the last week or so so I was running out of stuff to watch, and came across this on Netflix. I liked it a lot. There are a ton of subtle jokes that just made me laugh my rear end off. It reminds me of Family Guy, where Brian is a dog that acts like a human but then randomly goes into dog like behavior - only far more subtle. I think my favorite background character is the goat gardener. In one scene he's trimming the hedges, and then munches on them at the same time, and in a later scene he's mowing the lawn but the grass is flying straight into his mouth.

The cow waitress is hilarious too..."Here's your steak." "...I'm sorry".

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

I definitely agree. Even though his character was arguably the most superfluous plot-wise he really owned that role when it could have easily been empty celebrity stunt-casting.

What Fun posted:

It took me way too long to realize that that wasn't Amy Poelher doing a screechy voice.

Medullah posted:

I was saddled at home with a sprained foot for the last week or so so I was running out of stuff to watch, and came across this on Netflix. I liked it a lot. There are a ton of subtle jokes that just made me laugh my rear end off. It reminds me of Family Guy, where Brian is a dog that acts like a human but then randomly goes into dog like behavior - only far more subtle. I think my favorite background character is the goat gardener. In one scene he's trimming the hedges, and then munches on them at the same time, and in a later scene he's mowing the lawn but the grass is flying straight into his mouth.

The cow waitress is hilarious too..."Here's your steak." "...I'm sorry".

Maybe I've been spending too much time in the bad webcomics thread, but that's exactly why I found the furry poo poo so offputting. There's no real reason for it besides being weird for weirdness sake and/or imitating characters like Brian, and having one or two "haha they're doing animal stuff but they're also people" gags an episode just draws more attention to how pointless it is to the plot and how horrifying the implications are.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Lasher posted:

And yeah, Vincent Adultman was hilarious.

I enjoyed almost every part of the show but for some reason that was the funniest part. I have no idea why, I just couldn't look at Vincent and the whole situation without cracking up. Does no one else notice this?!?!

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Pakled posted:

Grouplove in the credits is fantastic too. :toot:

The end credits song and the opening montage thing are amazing.

I also got a later morel orel vibe from it. If i ruled the world dino Stamatopoulos would still be making morel orel.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

snergle posted:

The end credits song and the opening montage thing are amazing.

I also got a later morel orel vibe from it. If i ruled the world dino Stamatopoulos would still be making morel orel.

Morel Orel is exactly the vibe I got.

How did I accidentally marathon this entire series on a work day. The last few episodes turn it from ok thing you can watch in the background to punch in the gut. I think I'm on the last one now but I've been convinced the last three or four were the last episode.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
I just finished the season out and mr peanut butter and todds idiotic ideas not having a ground floor gag almost made me choke to death on soda.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I put this on earlier today because someone who shares my tastes offhandedly mentioned it on Facebook, and I ended up watching the entire thing. I'll echo everyone else in saying that the beginning is weak, although the rock opera plot ending really made me wonder if the show had something else up its sleeve, and I wasn't disappointed. The anthropomorphic stuff is mostly used for sight gags and random jokes, which can be pretty take it or leave it, but I certainly enjoyed the fact that they kept a good continuity going. The last 4-5 episodes were pretty fantastic I thought, and they started throwing out some punches that really managed to hit home a few times. All in all I really enjoyed it, and I hope it does well enough to get a second season.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Suck a dick dumb shits!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Isn't that courted by two gangs/feeling like the 'belle of the ball' joke in episode 6 from Arrested Development?

And Alison Brie just did a long "Whaaaaaaa?" I'm trying, but man.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bojack saying Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit was a great little Wire reference. At least I hope it was.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
"The guy who says "inconceivable" in The Princess Bride" had me dying. I haven't googled the actor's name and I won't. :colbert: He really IS "the guy who says "inconceivable" in the princess bride."

What's the name of that guy 3 kids stacked on top of each other's shoulders, underneath a trench-coat who is dating Princess Carolyn? He they is are my favorite characters.

"Every night when he gets home from the business factory, all he wants to do is watch rated R movies."

Medullah posted:

I was saddled at home with a sprained foot for the last week or so so I was running out of stuff to watch, and came across this on Netflix.

:haw:

cname fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 26, 2014

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cname posted:

What's the name of that guy 3 kids stacked on top of each other's shoulders, underneath a trench-coat who is dating Princess Carolyn? He they is are my favorite characters.

"Every night when he gets home from the business factory, all he wants to do is watch rated R movies."

Vince Adultman

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Hahaha yes! "Would you like a alcohol?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I feel like I shouldn't be laughing at all the animal jokes, but I do anyways. They're so dumb but so funny.