Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
If all the fun stuff thus far had happened in the premiere (or first two episodes even) this would be my favorite vampire tv show of all time.

I loved the FBI guys who were right out of a bad 80's cop show. It would be a masterpiece of parody if the show didn't take itself so seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007
The pacing reminds me of The Event.

That's how bad it is.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011
this threads making me real happy i dont give a gently caress if things make sense in a show and take everything at face value. so much crying for the dumbest poo poo. I also have no problem with the pacing or the character arcs and think the show is going at a great pace with every episode being constantly entertaining!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This show is a slog, a good premise ruined by poor execution. That's not the say the show has no redeeming parts, but they are too sparse. I'm ready to bail like with The Killing.

Is there anywhere I can ready a summary of the rest of the book?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 19, 2014

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

This show is a slog, a good premise ruined by poor execution. That's not the say the show has no redeeming parts, but they are too sparse. I'm ready to bail like with The Killing.

Is there anywhere I can ready a summary of the rest of the book?

Wikipedia summarizes most of the trilogy I believe.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HATEPOSTING posted:

I also have no problem with the pacing or the character arcs and think the show is going at a great pace with every episode being constantly entertaining!

Same. This is my favorite show right now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I was going to say hell no this isn't my favorite show that I'm currently watching, but then I remembered I'm also watching Under the Dome and the final season of True Blood along with Falling Skies, so welp.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 19, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Is Toronto smelly enough to be a good stand in city for NYC?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

B.H. Facials posted:

I was really looking forward to this thread but it seems to be filled with ADD'd bellyachers. If you geniuses can do TV better then why aren't you making it? Y'all need to just disappear up your own assholes and gently caress off. It's sad make believe isn't "real" enough for you. :jerkbag:

If you can talk poo poo on posters why aren't you a professional TV/media reviewer for a major publication?

Are you reading any actual posts? The biggest complaints are how incredibly slow the show is moving, the medicore talents of most of the cast, the lack of vampire gore, and how heavily the show is leaning on "authority people act incompetent" to allow for contrived situations to push the plot in the direction the writers want.

From the pilot it seemed like this show was being pitched as gore-fest with vampires attacking NYC. Instead things are being brought into the plot as important then suddenly dropped, some of the actors are objectively terrible, they're shoe-horning in all of Eph's family drama, and major events that happen publicly are just ignored.

I know news doesn't spread at lightning speed but after the first few cops were killed by people eating them every single cop in NY should have heard and been on the lookout. Instead when they come up on the vampire assaulting the two Hispanic guys they just club the bald one and arrest him not even bothering with the inhuman shape on the ground.

Debating over whether or not people act rationally in the event of a fantasy disaster is a lost cause, but arguing over whether or not they act believably is not. Crazy emotionally damaged wife feeding rude neighbor to her husband then hanging herself: believable. rear end in a top hat CDC head guy seeing a cell phone video of Eph confronting a horrific and grotesque monster then calling the FBI and telling them Eph stole 200+ corpses: not believable.

Even then, it would take a few short lines of dialogue to explain it. Have CDC guy call the dying billionaire and tell him, rich guy says he'll take care of it and to alert the FBI about Eph. Instead we get people freaking out about what will happen to the stock market if the enact a quarantine/do their job. Plus the FBI guys seeing a crazed man attacking a car and saying "gently caress it not our problem" is just really lovely writing. I could tolerate all the terrible characters and drastic decisions changes (female CDC doc suddenly deciding Eph is right because she sees a vampire attack) if the show's plot wasn't moving at a snails pace and half the episodes are focusing on the side cast and boring as poo poo.

I really thought that by the 4/5th episode Eph, Serkanian, the bald guy, and maybe the other 2 docs would be spending the episodes trying to hunt down the missing passengers, killing them, trying to contain the situation as chaos reigns around them. Instead I expect another 2-3 episodes of "people interfere with Eph, Eph's family drama, police/FBI/CDC cause trouble because they're ignoring a vampire epidemic" before they finally take the fight to the vampires.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

etalian posted:

Is Toronto smelly enough to be a good stand in city for NYC?

On the night before garbage day, yes.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Scissorfighter posted:

Everyone in New York is being attacked by vampires. If that doesn't count as escalation I'm not sure what would.

Well maybe next episode when more than 4 people catch on that something bad is happening then yeah.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If all this had happened by Episode 3 I think we would all say this was a pretty good show. As it is, things are drawn out enough to magnify all the plot issues.

On the plus side this is a show where racist cops immediately beat arrest the first hispanic guy with a weapon they see, nevermind the horrifying disfigured vampire that was openly attacking people all over the place.

radical meme posted:

No we get that it's make believe. It's just done really really badly. When a guy like Guillermo del Toro lends his name to a project I expect something a gently caress ton better.
Why? Since when is Guillermo del Toro's name a mark of excellence?

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
To me, it is, because I love Blade 2, Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy and most of all Pacific Rim. This show has some remains of the fantastic visual design that makes these films so very entertaining, but there is too much focus on too many characters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Renewed for a 2nd season.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/08/19/the-strain-renewed-for-season-two-by-fx/294611/

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

Why? Since when is Guillermo del Toro's name a mark of excellence?

Certainly for visual design I think he is. Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorite movies, and even the campy stuff that he makes tends to be entertaining and have some very cool monster designs. His name is what got me to watch this show too.

I actually thought this episode was a pretty big improvement, it just should have been episode 3.

Setrakian going into the basement was a genuinely tense scene and seemed to finally make him realize what the audience figured out 4 episodes ago: that 95-year-old Van Helsing personally tracking down and murdering 200 infected families before the worms spread is a pretty idiotic plan.

There's still way too many side characters with their own side characters, but at least now they're dying as fast as they're getting added. Hopefully the next episode will be a massacre and the show can finally focus on the 4-5 characters that anyone gives a gently caress about.

Yeah, I doubt it too.

pentyne posted:

rear end in a top hat CDC head guy seeing a cell phone video of Eph confronting a horrific and grotesque monster then calling the FBI and telling them Eph stole 200+ corpses: not believable.

I think readers have hinted that he's corrupt, but they've definitely overplayed him seeming like a dumbass to make that "twist" happen.

quote:

Plus the FBI guys seeing a crazed man attacking a car and saying "gently caress it not our problem" is just really lovely writing.

Yeah. I also thought it was kind of odd that they had the video of Ephraim dragging the body into the basement and step 1 of their investigations wasn't "search the basement for the body."

I'm wondering if the chronology got rearranged and Gus was supposed to have hid it before they were hunting for Ephraim.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Avasculous posted:

His
Setrakian going into the basement was a genuinely tense scene and seemed to finally make him realize what the audience figured out 4 episodes ago: that 95-year-old Van Helsing personally tracking down and murdering 200 infected families before the worms spread is a pretty idiotic plan.

Yeah he's a interesting character since Setrakian is basically past his prime and it helps that David Bradley is a good actor.

Loved him in games of thrones as Walder Frey.

etalian fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 20, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

etalian posted:

Yeah he's a interesting character since Setrakian is basically past his prime and it helps that David Bradley is a good actor.

Loved him in games of thrones as Walder Frey.

That dude could be in a romcom and he's still find a way to cut off someone's head. :ese:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Stop wanting characters in fantasy shows about nazi vampires to act realistically

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Avasculous posted:

I liked this scene a lot. From his "action" scenes so far, it's obvious Setrakian can't really fight - he just kinda swings the sword once the vampire is on his knees. I was glad they weren't doing the stunt-double old man karate master thing and having him cut through all of those zompires down there.

By the way, am I the only one who's actively disappointed by the fact that this is going to be a vampire story? I liked the idea of a parasitic monster that spreads via monster-bite, and I wouldn't have picked up on the "vampire" thing if it wasn't for this thread, at least not at first. Monster worm parasites that infect people and turn them into zombies is interesting and much more novel, and the worms coming out of their mouth and stuff like the autopsy where the entire body was mutated... I just felt like there's enough there to stand on it's own without needing VAMPIRES, SILVER SWORD, SUNLIGHT KILLS THEM, etc.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hear you. I watched True Blood, then this and my girlfriend told me I watch too much vampire poo poo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Avasculous posted:

There's still way too many side characters with their own side characters, but at least now they're dying as fast as they're getting added. Hopefully the next episode will be a massacre and the show can finally focus on the 4-5 characters that anyone gives a gently caress about.

It seemed fairly obvious from the introductions of random characters in the city and the show spending a ton of time focusing on their lives and circumstances that they're going to be joining Eph to fight vampires. It's just dragging on so much and they are still completely disconnected from each other. Rat guy is running around asking questions and not being interesting, hispanic guy has been regretting his life of crime and is now jammed in a NYC cell for the inevitable "vampires overrun cops" scenario, Eph's female assistant looks like she's come around, Sean Astin is working for the vampires but might switch if his wife dies.

Avasculous posted:

I think readers have hinted that he's corrupt, but they've definitely overplayed him seeming like a dumbass to make that "twist" happen.

Except the only influence dying billionaire has been shown to have on the CDC/NTSB has been to get the confidential report, release it on the web, and let public pressure force the Sec. of Health to release the live passengers.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

pentyne posted:

the inevitable "vampires overrun cops" scenario

I can't wait to see what they have in store for that.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Avasculous posted:

Certainly for visual design I think he is. Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorite movies, and even the campy stuff that he makes tends to be entertaining and have some very cool monster designs. His name is what got me to watch this show too.

I actually thought this episode was a pretty big improvement, it just should have been episode 3.

He was also supposed to bump into Gus and his friends while down there, if I recall correctly from the books.

It's fascinating watching the show and comparing them to how the book played out. The one thing that drives me NUTS is the Jim Kent character...he's not even in the dang books! :argh:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Phenotype posted:

By the way, am I the only one who's actively disappointed by the fact that this is going to be a vampire story? I liked the idea of a parasitic monster that spreads via monster-bite, and I wouldn't have picked up on the "vampire" thing if it wasn't for this thread, at least not at first. Monster worm parasites that infect people and turn them into zombies is interesting and much more novel, and the worms coming out of their mouth and stuff like the autopsy where the entire body was mutated... I just felt like there's enough there to stand on it's own without needing VAMPIRES, SILVER SWORD, SUNLIGHT KILLS THEM, etc.
I'm not sure I see how this show being about zombies is better than it being about vampires.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not sure I see how this show being about zombies is better than it being about vampires.

I was pretty stoked when I thought this was in part about an immortal leech king at odd against his fellow cabal immortal leech king friends, who was trying to set up a splinter kingdom of his own in America.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS

GramCracker posted:

He was also supposed to bump into Gus and his friends while down there, if I recall correctly from the books.

It's fascinating watching the show and comparing them to how the book played out. The one thing that drives me NUTS is the Jim Kent character...he's not even in the dang books! :argh:

He is in the books, he just gets bit and goes vampire when they kill Redfern. Unless you were making a joke in which case it went right over my head.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Friction.123 posted:

He is in the books, he just gets bit and goes vampire when they kill Redfern. Unless you were making a joke in which case it went right over my head.

Whelp, completely forgot he existed in the book world. Probably would be better if that happened in the TV series too. Samwise doesn't fit in :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Goonies never say die.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

pentyne posted:

Except the only influence dying billionaire has been shown to have on the CDC/NTSB has been to get the confidential report, release it on the web, and let public pressure force the Sec. of Health to release the live passengers.

I phrased that badly. What I meant is that Eph's boss has been willfully dumb and antagonistic to the main characters so many times now that we're long past the point where revealing that he's part of the conspiracy would be a surprising or interesting twist.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Friction.123 posted:

Is there a book reason why the vampires in the basement didn't use their 10' leech tongues to attack Abraham?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Avasculous posted:

I phrased that badly. What I meant is that Eph's boss has been willfully dumb and antagonistic to the main characters so many times now that we're long past the point where revealing that he's part of the conspiracy would be a surprising or interesting twist.

I thought that someone who's read the books has said he was in on it, but the show has given no indication other then "this rear end in a top hat CDC doc is trying to ruin my career better get him banged up by the FBI"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

wormil posted:

Is there a book reason why the vampires in the basement didn't use their 10' leech tongues to attack Abraham?

Nazism is in vamp DNA and they didn't want old jew blood.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

pentyne posted:

I thought that someone who's read the books has said he was in on it, but the show has given no indication other then "this rear end in a top hat CDC doc is trying to ruin my career better get him banged up by the FBI"

Eph's boss is in on it. That character's story arch gets pretty nuts.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GramCracker posted:

Eph's boss is in on it. That character's story arch gets pretty nuts.
As someone who hasn't read the books, this seems like it should be obvious to anyone who isn't a terrible TV watcher. Unfortunately, many TV IVers are.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS

wormil posted:

Probably what GreenNight said. That scene isn't actually in the books. Eph and Setrakian stick together for the entirety of the first book once they meet each other and Eph realizes there's actual vampires in New York.

The more episodes come out the more I realize the show is deviating quite a bit from the book. Getting a bit hard to directly compare the two at this point.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Friction.123 posted:

Probably what GreenNight said. That scene isn't actually in the books.

Oh, I thought he was joking.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I was joking. The flashback scenes show the Jews being eaten, so obviously that's not it. Probably no reason why they didn't try.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Fracking vampires.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'm not really feeling these random jumps to 1944. Get to the vampires taking over New York alreadyyyyyyy.

Edit: And do we need the Christoph Waltz impression?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I'm enjoying the flashbacks. It's just coming back to present is were everything drags.

Because if one vampire has turned a huge amount of one suburb in almost no time. How the hell is Manhattan not overrun with 200+ vampires sitting in the sewer.

• Locked thread