Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
This is loving awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Whoa the ancients and Mr. Quinlan already?! That's awesome. Their makeup looks great.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
And it just got a while lot more interesting
:stare:

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Whispering Machines posted:

Whoa the ancients and Mr. Quinlan already?! That's awesome. Their makeup looks great.

Seems like a good jumping on point for them, honestly.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

That was a very nice surprise.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
God dammit. I'm gonna have to watch this episode then, aren't I?

:mad:

...Or do one of you have a screenshot of the elder vamps I can look at so I don't have to deal with the rest of the show?

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

GreenNight posted:

I was going to say hell no this isn't my favorite show that I'm currently watching, but then I remembered I'm also watching Under the Dome and the final season of True Blood along with Falling Skies, so welp.

Yes, this. And I do not feel ashamed.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Drifter posted:

God dammit. I'm gonna have to watch this episode then, aren't I?

:mad:

...Or do one of you have a screenshot of the elder vamps I can look at so I don't have to deal with the rest of the show?

It's in the last five minutes.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'll look it up. Danke.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pinwiz11 posted:

Exactly. I had to fight through seven episodes and in the last two minutes of episode seven I finally get a reason to care about this show. And the only people with balls, so to speak, and anything resembling a plan are loving pissed off vampires. Up until that last two minutes, the most interesting part of this whole series was Nazi guy and 8230385 bonding; "I'm good at managing people".

edit: how the gently caress can you be a good enough shot to hit your target with a pistol from fifty feet away and then just give up on shooting more?

radical meme fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 25, 2014

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

My roommate got home after the episode was finished (he has only seen the first 15 minutes of episode one) and asked if it had gotten better. I swiftly responded "No", which is harsh, but at this point I can't realistically recommend the show until someone has a chance to binge through the season.

nopants
May 29, 2004
Who were the vampire commandos at the end? I must have poor taste, because I enjoy this show.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

nopants posted:

Who were the vampire commandos at the end? I must have poor taste, because I enjoy this show.

If you want spoilers...

The Master, who the Eichhorst works for, is just one Vampire Elder out of 6. He's actually the outcast Elder, the one who always makes power grabs and wants to rule the world. The other 5, while not exactly the nicest of vampires, understand that balance is the key to longevity and ruling from the shadows is the way to go. The Master, unfortunately, disagrees.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Psyker posted:

If you want spoilers...

The Master, who the Eichhorst works for, is just one Vampire Elder out of 6. He's actually the outcast Elder, the one who always makes power grabs and wants to rule the world. The other 5, while not exactly the nicest of vampires, understand that balance is the key to longevity and ruling from the shadows is the way to go. The Master, unfortunately, disagrees.

I don't care about spoilers, I just wanted a reason to justify the time I devote to this show and on that front, the last two minutes of episode seven, and your spoiler which seems logical from those two minutes, gives a reason to continue to engage in a mind numbing waste of my life every Sunday night. Not that I wouldn't have found some other way to waste my time.

maxidious
Sep 25, 2007

Meh
This show's pacing is way off, I am hoping it will get better.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

maxidious posted:

This show's pacing is way off, I am hoping it will get better.

I guess it depends whether or not you enjoy Agents of Shield.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I wondered who the gently caress those guys were at the end, which sort of piqued my interest again when I saw that they were vampires.

So I guess maybe I wish sort of that the show would just focus on the badass vampire anti-vampires because that would totally stand on its own without Ephraim and the gangster dude, who so far has only furthered the plot in the first episode and currently just sort of wastes screen time which they apparently need him to do because they have been building up to the vampires who kill vampires.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Blade 2 rejects' boss looked so cute with his pointy little rabbit teefies.

:3:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

The Blade 2 rejects' boss looked so cute with his pointy little rabbit teefies.

:3:

Speaking of Blade II, I would REALLY love it if Ron Perlman made a cameo even though this show is unrelated to Blade II in anything but vampires and GdT.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
In the Strain universe do the vampires not have control about sucking people dry or do they always infect people when they neck bite them? Because The Master killing the jewish concentration camp victims makes sense if its the second (doesn't want a bunch of them roaming around alerting the Nazis that poo poo is going down).

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Those dudes at the end would have come across as bit more more interesting if they didn't speak. "Oh hey little one. Let me have a look at you."

egoslicer
Jun 13, 2007

life is killing me posted:

Speaking of Blade II, I would REALLY love it if Ron Perlman made a cameo even though this show is unrelated to Blade II in anything but vampires and GdT.

Originally GdT wanted Perlman to play the rat catcher, so you can imagine things how they could have been.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"

SpaceAceJase posted:

Those dudes at the end would have come across as bit more more interesting if they didn't speak. "Oh hey little one. Let me have a look at you."

I thought the pseudo caring routine kind of gave them an air of creepiness.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

SpaceAceJase posted:

Actually, I thought it worked well for creep factor. I kept wondering (not having read the books) if they were going to just kill the kids and the Haitian woman and her daughter.

Also, LOL at all of them basically trusting these dudes who look exactly like the ones who tried to tongue suck their blood. I don't care, I still would have been like, FUUUUUCK THIS.

Ah, but then, that whole exposition scene wouldn't have worked.

e: Do the books ever explain why some of the vampires keep their human minds and why the rest of them are basically vampire zombies or have I missed something important in the show?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

e: Do the books ever explain why some of the vampires keep their human minds and why the rest of them are basically vampire zombies or have I missed something important in the show?

No matter what, you have not missed anything in the show.

And these vampires weren't growling at them and had just saved their lives. And it's not like they trusted them, more like they just did what they were told because of the guns and them not trying to eat them.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Those guys at the end of the episode look like they're straight out of a GI Joe catalogue, but with fangs painted on.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Anticheese posted:

Those guys at the end of the episode look like they're straight out of a GI Joe catalogue, but with fangs painted on.

I like that these elder vampires have some sort of established vampire Vatican where they train vampire shocktroops.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Drifter posted:

I like that these elder vampires have some sort of established vampire Vatican where they train vampire shocktroops.

Complete with groanworthily obvious Ouroboros armbands.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The real life Vatican is probably not a whole hell of a lot different from Vampire Vatican.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I read the books but there's no explanation for that. Well, as far as I know; I read them rather quickly because they too suffer from bad pacing.

The default vampire state of mind seems to be to behave menacingly, growl, pose for the camera, and if possible suck blood. The only impetus they have is to seek out their loved ones and infect them too. Any other kind of agency seems to require input from the master. I have no idea why Eichhorst functions differently. I'm sure people can come up with their own explanations, but I suspect it simply comes down to the writers wanting to have both viscous uncontrollable bloodsuckers as well as a cold and calculating nazi manipulator.

Lord Sexatron
Aug 1, 2003

I wish Quinlan was a bit more half-breed like he should be. Instead he's a vamp with a swat team. Guess they didn't have the CGI budget to have Quinlan rip throats like a Trueblood vamp.

Pretty decent episode aside from the stupid Jim/cancerwife plot.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Lord Sexatron posted:

Pretty decent episode aside from the stupid Jim/cancerwife plot.

On that note, I was at least pleasantly surprised that the wife, upon learning what Jim did for her, didn't immediately call him a monster and instead backed him up against "that self-righteous bastard" Ephraim. An unexpected subversion of the usual scenario.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh yes, thank you God, bring in the SWAT vampires, this is so cool.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
So normally I watch this show as background noise/occasional gross effects/Corey Stoll Hairwatch 2014, but I was really into the last few minutes of this episode. The hooded vampire hunter dude was really captivating to me. Then it clicked...

Stephen loving McHattie!!!!

He played the hooded dude, right? His name was in the opening but I had zoned out by the end and forgot to even look for him. If he's hooded dude and he sticks around for a bit then I'm definitely sold until the end of the season.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Stephen McHattie owns, and yes, he was the head vampire Seal Team 6 dude.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

hcreight posted:

Edit: And do we need the Christoph Waltz impression?

I understand the comparison, but he really just sounds Austrian. I had Austrian friends growing up and their parents and relatives sounded exactly like that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

InfiniteZero posted:

I understand the comparison, but he really just sounds Austrian. I had Austrian friends growing up and their parents and relatives sounded exactly like that.

And, hell, if we're gonna compare him to awesome actors who were in Inglourious Basterds it makes more sense to compare him to this guy

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ohhh so that explains how the coverup is so effective. There are Ninja Vampires running around killing people.

Good move adding them though, this show needs to just go crazy.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
This was a fairly good episode. Enough stuff happened to keep me interested which is a far cry from most of the other episodes. I still think they really need to start bringing some of these threads together quicker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fleve posted:

The default vampire state of mind seems to be to behave menacingly, growl, pose for the camera, and if possible suck blood.

Didn't we finally see one use a tool - the bat to break the window? Maybe they have to eat a few times for the worms to make the brains work after all that energy is lost from the transformation.

Lord Sexatron posted:

I wish Quinlan was a bit more half-breed like he should be. Instead he's a vamp with a swat team.

How the hell is that spoiler supposed to work?

• Locked thread