Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
And the broken mirrors because he can't stand to look at his new, robotic self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's a note on Adam's broken mirror saying "bug management about the mirror replacement, AGAIN." If you use Adam's PC, there's an e-mail from building management about how the delayed replacement is a manufacturer issue and no amount of urging will get them to do it faster. So far, so obvious, but if you go deeper and hack the building manager's PC there's an e-mail from the mirror manufacturer saying it's been ready for two weeks and could they please get someone to pick it up already.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's not the building manager's PC. It's the one at the warehouse that's literally around the block from Jensen's apartment.

EDIT: Or it's mentioned on both. Still, that adds yet another level to the whole thing.

EDIT: \/ You go there during one of the missions. It's the one the gang took over.

Mokinokaro has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Aug 24, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

It's not the building manager's PC. It's the one at the warehouse that's literally around the block from Jensen's apartment.

EDIT: Or it's mentioned on both. Still, that adds yet another level to the whole thing.

Wait, you can actually break into the warehouse? I just thought it was a place mentioned in the e-mail.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It does great things with emails. When you're hacking PCs in Sarif industries you find one from Athena to the company lawyer asking him to look over their refusal email to TYM. Later on you can hack the CEO of TYM's PC and there's an email from Athena.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Adam will also call Pritchard by his first name constantly, just to piss the guy off. Every time Adam says 'Francis' you can hear every little drop of bile from the voice actor's delivery, and practically feel Pritchard's teeth grinding together when he responds.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

When you hack Pritchard's PC you discover than he's been pitching a show outline about a crime-fighting hacker (who just happens to use Pritchard's own handle) to the networks, and they've repeatedly rejected it because their research shows that audiences prefer stronger and more proactive protagonists, maybe ex-cops. No wonder he doesn't like Adam.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've often wondered if that email came from some dev's game pitch. It just seems a bit on the nose.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

When you hack Pritchard's PC you discover than he's been pitching a show outline about a crime-fighting hacker (who just happens to use Pritchard's own handle) to the networks, and they've repeatedly rejected it because their research shows that audiences prefer stronger and more proactive protagonists, maybe ex-cops. No wonder he doesn't like Adam.

You'll also find some of the evil hackers have had trouble with nucl3ar_5nake(?) when you hack their emails.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
I love that you can go around the office and loot people's candy bars and if you do Jensen gets emails of people asking him to investigate because he's the chief of security. :razz:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You can also find an archived IM conversation between David Sarif (the CEO of the company Adam works for) and his lawyer and it turns out that Sarif can't type for poo poo. The whole thing has a ton of typos and misspellings.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
His username is Frenetic_Pony as well. :downs:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's a note on Adam's broken mirror saying "bug management about the mirror replacement, AGAIN." If you use Adam's PC, there's an e-mail from building management about how the delayed replacement is a manufacturer issue and no amount of urging will get them to do it faster. So far, so obvious, but if you go deeper and hack the building manager's PC there's an e-mail from the mirror manufacturer saying it's been ready for two weeks and could they please get someone to pick it up already.

Why would he even want a replacement mirror?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Because he smashed it with a reflexive punch after seeing himself post-augmentation for the first time. Dude's still gotta shave and trim himself, c'mon now.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Having a broken mirror in your bathroom is pretty unsightly.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
The only reason he has a beard is b/c of broken mirror :monocle:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Does the game ever have any reflective surfaces anyway?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
From what I remember, all the mirrors in public bathrooms are in "display mode" when you pass them by, so they're covered in ads and news feeds. In 2027 we figure out that it's not incredibly stupid to make a mirror display ads when idling even though anybody that's actively looking at the mirror would want to see their reflection. :pseudo:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mirrors don't work and any escalators you come across are "broken."

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's probably due to console limitations (I'm not going PC master race here, don't worry) as the game has some pretty complete environments and lighting where mirrors could murder the framerate.

Escalators that don't cause issues are surprisingly tricky to do as well.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Did DX:IW have mirrors? I know the first game did and they always looked ridiculous since your running animation was so robotic.

This thread is making me really want to play HR again, drat it.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I can't remember any recent game that had reflective mirrors since Prey came out. I'm just going to guess that it's a big performance hit for not much gain. It hurts immersion when it's not a broken or covered up mirror, but eh. I think the smartest thing to do is get rid of bathrooms altogether and replace it with an outhouse or slop bucket.
I remember being marveled by Counter-Strike: Source having reflective scopes, until I realized it was just screenshots of the map behind you that got superimposed on the scope :v: It's something at least.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I like this callback to the original Deus Ex in Human Revolution.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

mng posted:

I can't remember any recent game that had reflective mirrors since Prey came out. I'm just going to guess that it's a big performance hit for not much gain.

Yeah, this is basically it. It means the game is rendering the entire scene again from an alternate viewpoint which is pretty processor heavy.
http://www.giantbomb.com/functional-mirrors/3015-4618/

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

cobalt impurity posted:

From what I remember, all the mirrors in public bathrooms are in "display mode" when you pass them by, so they're covered in ads and news feeds. In 2027 we figure out that it's not incredibly stupid to make a mirror display ads when idling even though anybody that's actively looking at the mirror would want to see their reflection. :pseudo:

They used to have this in my local pub. Ad posters behind the glass that lit up in sequence. It was dumb as poo poo and nobody bought the ad space, so it got disused pretty quick.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Mousepractice posted:

They used to have this in my local pub. Ad posters behind the glass that lit up in sequence. It was dumb as poo poo and nobody bought the ad space, so it got disused pretty quick.

I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Looks like the poster agrees :awesomelon:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mng posted:

I can't remember any recent game that had reflective mirrors since Prey came out. I'm just going to guess that it's a big performance hit for not much gain.
My favourite mirrors that worked were in Duke Nukem 3D, because they worked by duplicating the room on the other side of the glass. That space had to actually exist in the level, and in the level editor you could put stuff in there, which meant you could have stuff that seemed to only be visible in mirrors.

Mierenneuker posted:

I like this callback to the original Deus Ex in Human Revolution.

I love the fact that Pritchard is apparently watching you the whole time, because that means that he knows you were breaking into everyone's offices and taking their stuff. He knows you broke into those apartments for no apparent reason. He knows you did an off-the-books job for the police. He saw you look around to make sure no one was watching and murder that cop. And he doesn't care. Just don't go into the women's toilets.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tiggum posted:

My favourite mirrors that worked were in Duke Nukem 3D, because they worked by duplicating the room on the other side of the glass. That space had to actually exist in the level, and in the level editor you could put stuff in there, which meant you could have stuff that seemed to only be visible in mirrors.

I can't find proof while looking right now, but I recall hearing once that one of the levels in Duke Nukem 3D was actually a 520 degree circle, which was done by using similar tricks as the mirrors.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Cleretic posted:

I can't find proof while looking right now, but I recall hearing once that one of the levels in Duke Nukem 3D was actually a 520 degree circle, which was done by using similar tricks as the mirrors.

This was one of the great things about old 3d games. In particular, Bungie's Marathon allowed for map polygons to overlap with each other, so long as they weren't adjacent, so you could end up with rooms that would logically be required to occupy the same space, but were separate in-game. This phenomenon got called '5d Space', and was used to great effect in a multiplayer map of the same name.

All of that map is one elevation level. Nothing is going above anything else.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

muscles like this? posted:

You can also find an archived IM conversation between David Sarif (the CEO of the company Adam works for) and his lawyer and it turns out that Sarif can't type for poo poo. The whole thing has a ton of typos and misspellings.

A lot of people with Augmented arms are bad at typing from the memos and emails you find on them.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Judge Tesla posted:

A lot of people with Augmented arms are bad at typing from the memos and emails you find on them.

Might I sugest agin, a skul-gun for my head.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I'm playing a lot of Path of Exile lately, and your character skills are determined by gems you can slot into your equipment. While this is weaved into the narrative (people actually are putting gems into their equipment for better strength, etc, rather than it just being a game mechanic) it didn't seem particularly neat until I came across archive books later in the story which go into detail about how nobles have caught onto the idea of using these gems to improve their singing ability, linguistics, etc.

It was such a mundane use for the things I had to laugh at that. This is exactly how I'd use them myself.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I love the fact that Pritchard is apparently watching you the whole time, because that means that he knows you were breaking into everyone's offices and taking their stuff. He knows you broke into those apartments for no apparent reason. He knows you did an off-the-books job for the police. He saw you look around to make sure no one was watching and murder that cop. And he doesn't care. Just don't go into the women's toilets.

You bring up a good point actually. At one point during a sidequest Malik reveals she's been listening in on you without your knowledge. Holy poo poo it's actually a pretty big deal that people can listen in on (see?) what you're doing the whole time without you knowing. Especially later when Van Bruggen can even hack into your frequency

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Cleretic posted:

That one's Lunatic Fringe. It actually required the player to walk 720 degrees around a circle to get back to the origin. The Build engine could render rooms that would realistically occupy the same space, as long as both rooms weren't rendered at the same time. Here's a video walkthrough (:nws: because boobs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER88Hrtmbus

It's a very experimental level, and the Build engine can't quite deal with two completely overlapping levels, which causes the player to teleport.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Do you know what I really like in games? I really like looking through dead peoples' houses and taking their dead-people stuff.

For this reason, The Last of Us has lately been a fountain of delight. I've got a whole suburb to scavenge with no loading screens, somebody pinch me

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Oxxidation posted:

Do you know what I really like in games? I really like looking through dead peoples' houses and taking their dead-people stuff.

For this reason, The Last of Us has lately been a fountain of delight. I've got a whole suburb to scavenge with no loading screens, somebody pinch me

You would really like State of Decay. It's basically Loot Neighbourhoods: The Game ft. Zombies

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

Even though it was annoying on subsequent playthroughs, the vehicle segments of Half-Life 2 ruled on the first playthrough for this exact reason.

"Ooh, another abandoned house! Ooh, another abandoned house! Ooh, another abandoned house!"

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Is this going to be your defence later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nael
Sep 10, 2009
Wolfenstein: The New Order alternates between absolute silliness and some genuinely depressing moments.

After organizing an escape from a forced labor camp, the prisoners are hanging around the resistance base. If you walk into a store room there's a former prisoner stacking up cans of food. As soon as he sees you, he throws himself between you and the food, staring at you until you leave.