Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Drifter posted:

Didn't we finally see one use a tool - the bat to break the window? Maybe they have to eat a few times for the worms to make the brains work after all that energy is lost from the transformation.

How the hell is that spoiler supposed to work?

It works pretty much the same way Blade works. Pregnant woman, turned, the baby gets some of the vampirism. The spoiler guy is pretty much literally Blade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darko posted:

It works pretty much the same way Blade works. Pregnant woman, turned, the baby gets some of the vampirism. The spoiler guy is pretty much literally Blade.

No, but...It's not viral, it's ... an infestation.

Seeing as how the worms absolutely destroy the internal organs of the person they've infested, a baby would either die, or turn and eat its way out of a womb.

There can't be some weird half measure. Not to mention the fact that the child's body wouldn't grow even if it lived through that transformation process.

...goddammit.

HATEPOSTING
May 27, 2011

Drifter posted:

Seeing as how the worms absolutely destroy the internal organs of the person they've infested, a baby would either die, or turn and eat its way out of a womb.

There can't be some weird half measure. Not to mention the fact that the child's body wouldn't grow even if it lived through that transformation process.

...goddammit.

are you serious

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Drifter posted:

...goddammit.

That makes no biological sense!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

HATEPOSTING posted:

are you serious

I'm as serious as this show is good.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

I'm as serious as this show is good.

So joking then?

For serious though, it's not awesome but it's fun to watch for sure.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

life is killing me posted:

So joking then?

For serious though, it's not awesome but it's fun to watch for sure.

The idea of this show is interesting. But then it just goes all...meh.

I did like the last second addition of those vampire police. And I thought it was hilarious when the guy was talking to the kids.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Episode was great. Vampire swat force was exactly what this show needed.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I don't know. I was kind of disappointed with how Mr Quinlan looked. The books describe him as having basically marble white skin that is perfectly smooth and poo poo. I just thought he would be a lot more stoic and emotionless, not rabbit teeth and creeping on kids.
But I suppose it's just a minor nitpick. Vampire swat team is going to own.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm getting used to the hair piece. But GDT hinted that the hair isn't a permanent thing so I'm going to miss it. I think the nazi actor is great too. That chained up room last episode grossed me out.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Drifter posted:

The idea of this show is interesting. But then it just goes all...meh.

I did like the last second addition of those vampire police. And I thought it was hilarious when the guy was talking to the kids.

A lot of "meh" things will make sense once more background of The Master comes out.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

MariusLecter posted:

A lot of "meh" things will make sense once more background of The Master comes out.

No no, the 'meh' is in the REALLY poor pacing, dialog and characterization. Like, you know, the show itself. It's not that stuff doesn't make sense. I'm generally inclined to roll with a bunch of stuff and goings ons.

The cool stuff is the ideas of all the vampires.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Pretty much the only thing that makes perfect sense is the vampire biology, which they go balls deep on, at least as far as the source material goes. It's like it took them nearly an entire book to tell a meaningfully interesting story of this cool idea they had for semi-vampires. It is really a lot more of a slow burn than you would expect from something that starts out with a vampire invasion of New York. Once it gets going through, it does ramp up into insanely crazy territory pretty quick. It just takes a *long* time to get going.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ron Perlman narrates the audiobooks. Perfect.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Awesome. Vampire vampire hunters.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

radical meme posted:

edit: how the gently caress can you be a good enough shot to hit your target with a pistol from fifty feet away and then just give up on shooting more?
Are you referring to the scene where they did not keep shooting in the direction of a subway train? Just give it a tiny bit more thought and you'll figure out why they didn't shoot more.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Caryna posted:

Are you referring to the scene where they did not keep shooting in the direction of a subway train? Just give it a tiny bit more thought and you'll figure out why they didn't shoot more.

I can't even say I barely enjoy the show and I'm not even complaining about that.

That guy REALLY wants to hate the show.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
I always pictured the dude at the end of the episode like the engineers in Prometheus when I was reading the books. I like the effect when he talks and when Eichorst talked for real. Like they are in your head talking also.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Also, LOL at all of them basically trusting these dudes who look exactly like the ones who tried to tongue suck their blood. I don't care, I still would have been like, FUUUUUCK THIS.

Tell us more about how you would totally outsmart and outrun a goddamned SWAT team armed with automatic weapons that had you cornered :allears:

Drifter posted:

...goddammit.

Del Toro's big weakness is that he's such a goddamned nerd that his enthusiasm for the source material gets in the way of actual storytelling. The Strain is several great disparate takes on vampires (vampires as a purely biological phenomenon, the Nazis being a cover for vampirism, a vampire outbreak in New York, a shadowy cabal of Vampires manipulating the world from the shadows, a post-apocalypse where the vampires have won and control everything) all smashed together in an unsatisfying and contradictory mish-mash.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Tell us more about how you would totally outsmart and outrun a goddamned SWAT team armed with automatic weapons that had you cornered :allears:

Okay okay, I'll rephrase. I would have been too scared to move.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
Just found this show by accident and am enjoying the hell out of it

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Since when have pump action been considered automatic? :spergin:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

My show about vampire zombie things isn't realistic enough

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
I feel a little bad about it, but that smug little nurse/daughter got her comeuppance. "Stupid, superstitious mom saying there are some evil spirits and bad poo poo going on up there! What an ignorant old biddy! I will prove her wrong and OH GOD MONSTER!" *gets headshot*

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
This show is ridiculous but after watching people with no noses because syphilis on Friday nights and then dangerous railroad explosion things on Saturday nights I need this poo poo on Sunday.

If anyone wants REALLY BIG SPOILERS to help decide whether to continue watching or just wait until it's all on netflix or just... give up, here's what I remember from the books, with the caveat that 1. they weren't amazing books so I didn't exactly store everything away in my brain exactly 2. alcohol 3. show might deviate more from this:

SPOILERS SPOILERS

The ancients existance goes back to Sodom and Gomorrah and Azrael.
Mr. Quinlan I don't think is an ancient, but was sired by the Master (and his family was killed? idk) so he is very old and very angry. And awesome. Setrakian dies in book 2. His death results in the master being poisoned and switching to the body of Marilyn Manson guy.
There is an old, retired luchador turned vampire slayer. And the big finale: if you've read/seen The Stand. You know how the hand of God literally reaches down and detonates the nuke? Similar thing, except it's more just blinding light. And I think maybe angels.

I think that's mostly somewhat correct. I missed Fet this week :(

v The Knick has syphilis (and typhoid, and cocaine) and Hell on Wheels has things exploding. And also horses.

Whispering Machines fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 26, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - What the hell shows are you watching about syphilis and train explosions?

LeJackal posted:

I feel a little bad about it, but that smug little nurse/daughter got her comeuppance. "Stupid, superstitious mom saying there are some evil spirits and bad poo poo going on up there! What an ignorant old biddy! I will prove her wrong and OH GOD MONSTER!" *gets headshot*

EVERYONE would have done what the daughter did though.

"gently caress, mom is trying to steal her employers kids. I better nip this in the bud."

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Caryna posted:

Yes and the scene was complete bullshit. Eph fires, hits Nazi dude in the leg, Nazi dude drops 8230385 and looks at Eph, then decides to run off and Eph never fires at him again before he starts running. If Eph had been a Ferguson cop, Nazi dude would have had at lest 6 bullets pumped into him before he started to run; or maybe not since the guy is white. The show up to this point has sucked and the willful ignorance, arrogance and incompetence of the characters is maddening. I don't think its too much to ask that characters, even in a vampire show, act with at least a modicum of reason and common sense; its what separates good shows from poo poo shows like this one. I personally hope every major character in this show, including Eph's useless family, comes to a violent and horrific end, at least equal to the poor Haitian woman's daughter, and only citizens that were clueless about the vampire apocalypse and the militia vampire survive; maybe the Haitian lady and the rat catcher also but, I really would be happy if everyone else gets croaked by the end of this season.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Drifter posted:

"gently caress, mom is trying to steal her employers kids. I better nip this in the bud."

The former is The Knick which is real good and worth a watch. (I would not recommend the thread).

Donno about the other one

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Damiya posted:

The former is The Knick which is real good and worth a watch. (I would not recommend the thread).

Well, I haven't seen a thread with more disappointment than this one, so I'm sure the Knick thread would be tolerable (not that I'll ever go).

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Damiya posted:

I assume it's Hell on Wheels.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Drifter posted:

I wouldn't - but I don't assume that my mom is a dumb gently caress that would just take kids for no reason. I would probably ask - "Well, why do you think its an evil place and they would be in danger?" Seems like a relevant question, but only if you aren't a smug little poo poo who assumes you know better than your parents just because you have a fancy nursing degree. Maybe 'der is an evil der, a dark loa has possessed her' is just the traditional Haitian mom's way of trying to express that the kids are being abused (because she lacks the training and nuance to recognize and express that properly)? As a nurse that would be something the daughter should be aware of and potentially looking for. Even the old 'her eyes got all weird and lizard-y and she's sniffing at the kids like she's going to eat them and looks all corpsey' is some pretty good information. The kind that would combine with 'weird abandoned taxi and other creepy poo poo' that would immediately make anyone not convinced they know better than anyone else to GTFO and call some cops.

Then again, she got her comeuppance!

The Silver Medal for Dumbass That Got What's Coming goes to the cab driver! Yes, weird monster corpses with monster tongues are trying to get you while you sit safely inside your taxi. Should you drive away, presumably faster than the monsters can follow? gently caress that, you'd better clamber outside your cab and fight them!

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
This episode was much better than last week's. Incidentally, since the 'Occultation' allowing the vampires to attack the city during the day is never mentioned again and has no obvious consequences, it seems to me that the last episode is absolutely meaningless. But the pace is slowly accelerating, even though the episode introduces even more characters, because one of those - the vampire squad leader - is actually interesting. Also, according to some of your spoilers, the show will do something that I hoped it would without knowing the books. The fact that there are other groups of vampires who oppose the plan to take over New York and wreak havoc

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I know it makes for good TV, but I don't understand why the status quo vampires would save humans that have seen them. If the point is to stay under the radar (as much as possible given the circumstances, lol) then you probably wouldn't want to leave people who've seen you and your funky poo poo alive to talk.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Drifter posted:

I know it makes for good TV, but I don't understand why the status quo vampires would save humans that have seen them. If the point is to stay under the radar (as much as possible given the circumstances, lol) then you probably wouldn't want to leave people who've seen you and your funky poo poo alive to talk.

They're way beyond the point where a few witnesses could cause harm that the masters power grab already hasn't.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xoidanor posted:

They're way beyond the point where a few witnesses could cause harm that the masters power grab already hasn't.

Yea they are only there because the poo poo has really hit the fan and (book spoilers) the Ancients know it. They've been avoiding this exact scenario for centuries.. One or two witnesses aren't their concern at this point.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
It doesn't really make sense, just like Eph not shooting Eichhorst again, but I just don't care at all about logic and plausibility anymore, I just want to see cool poo poo. So far, the show does not deliver, but it's still somewhat promising.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
All I could think of when the bunnyrabbit man was talking to those kids was "he's gonna eat those kids later'. Like, he's being awfully friendly to a couple of snacks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's true, Eph not blasting a clip at Eichhorst doesn't make a lot of sense, but neither does Eichhorst showing his proboscis to Abraham for 10 seconds rather than just glamping him immediately. And Eichhorst is standing right next to Abraham so maybe Eph was afraid of hitting him. I'm willing to suspend belief a little.

Honestly I enjoy this show. It's slow and uneven but every time I'm ready to give up on it something crazy happens. A dude's dick falls off or there's a crazy vibrating mirror image or a nazi skullpire puts on his makeup to look normal or a screaming guy is slowly dragged across a room by a ratcheting chain to be bitten. And the Vamp Vampire Hunters have my interest. I freakin' love the attitude of RabbitFace Alpha and I'm looking forward to seeing what crazy shenanigans this show gets up to. Now that one of the major weaknesses of the plot has been resolved (the main characters all being in the dark about the actual threat they face) I have a feeling that the show is going to get much, much better.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

Like, he's being awfully friendly to a couple of snacks.

I don't usually tell my cheetos they are pieces of poo poo before I ravage them like a rabid dog attacks a rancid steak.

Er, uh, I mean, of course he's being nice to them, they will bring him pleasure later. He wants to keep them alive and around so he can eat them later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I always figured that was the only way to eat processed foods.

I don't usually tell my cheetos they are pieces of poo poo before I ravage them like a rabid dog attacks a rancid steak.

Er, uh, I mean, of course he's being nice to them, they will bring him pleasure later. He wants to keep them alive and around so he can eat them later.

You dirty piece of poo poo *munch munch* Get your cheeto fake cheese poo poo all over my shirt *munchmunchmunch* fall between my couch cushions you cocksucker *munch garble munch wheeze wheeze munch munch* show you who's boss *munch*

• Locked thread