Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only MORE war! :v:

I've had a vague concept for an RPG in the back of my mind for forever, of Warhammer 50k, where everything has become (even more so) a paranoia-esque self-pardoy: Space Marines are literally aryan frat boys who chestbump during briefings, tyranid 'omnomnom' memes are commonplace, and the emperor is even more crotchety.

The only problem is, the PCs would basically just play out the Caiphus Caine books...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
GW doesn't actually support organized play. This is all you really need to know to realize that GW doesn't actually give a poo poo about whether or not people play the game that they're buying the models for, as long as they're buying the models. Gaylord's gonna chime in with "But see it's meant to be played casually" and that's not an excuse. WotC manages to cater to both kitchen table casual players and thousands-a-year tournament players on a consistent basis because they understand that to be really successful you need to actually encourage people to play, something GW, in their infinite wisdom, simply does not do.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

Clearly this means they're about to pull out the big guns that will save their company.

Warhammer 41k!!!!!!!

I heard of a company that did this before. Coming soon: warhammer final fantasy. Finally the anime game to compete with infinity and was actually a good game that we always wanted.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

serious gaylord posted:

Park Plaza LA

THURSDAY THROWDOWN - WARHAMMER 40K!!! Tomorrow from 4pm until we're done, bring 500 pts with 1 HQ and 1 Troop choice. We going who's the best! Be here or be square!

New York GW

Hey everyone! Today we want to give a big shout-out to our intrepid players braving the fury of gaming that is The Sargos Campaign. They have been playing their hearts out and leaving it all on the battlefield. A true example of what a narrative campaign should be! An extra big thank you to John Hoffman, our daring GM.

If you missed out on this great event, stay tuned to this page in the future. There will be many more great beginner and veteran events to come!

Quail Spring Village

Another week in the books! Our escalation league is chugging along. It's never too late to get involved!

First 3 i checked seemed to have some sort of gaming running regularly.

The Lynnwood, WA GW certainly plays games; they are running the sanctus reach campaign and regularly post to the facebook wall when people are looking for games. They also posted pictures of an ork optimus prime this week, so they are pretty ok in my book. I should start buying my GW direct poo poo from there rather than the website.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

drgnvale posted:

The Lynnwood, WA GW certainly plays games; they are running the sanctus reach campaign and regularly post to the facebook wall when people are looking for games. They also posted pictures of an ork optimus prime this week, so they are pretty ok in my book. I should start buying my GW direct poo poo from there rather than the website.

I really advise this. One of my best mates is a GW manager, and GW looks at your sales pretty hardcore. Buying from the terminal in-store means the money goes in his til and adds to his total.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

HiveCommander posted:

I know we all have a good laugh about the short timespan of editions lately, but maybe 8th really is coming :tinfoil:

You know GW has other core systems than 40k right? Its an event for fantasy with the return of Nagash and a "huge change" for the system.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

drgnvale posted:

They certainly post some stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/GWFreewayV/photos/pb.118194274928077.-2207520000.1407991064./694846127262886/?type=3&theater

I don't really even know what to make of it. I guess it's funny.

I've decided: it's funny.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

WAR FOOT posted:

I really advise this. One of my best mates is a GW manager, and GW looks at your sales pretty hardcore. Buying from the terminal in-store means the money goes in his til and adds to his total.

Yeah; the last time I ordered something from GW I had it delivered there (I figured I could go pick up some paint pots or something while I was out), and the manager gave me a short speech about buying from them using the terminals so they wouldn't get shut down. I don't know if it's actually that dire or not, but I hope it's not. I remember being sad that they shut down the one in Greenwood even though it was not a great place to go (the manager was so drat pushy and it was pretty cramped).

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

drgnvale posted:

Yeah; the last time I ordered something from GW I had it delivered there (I figured I could go pick up some paint pots or something while I was out), and the manager gave me a short speech about buying from them using the terminals so they wouldn't get shut down. I don't know if it's actually that dire or not, but I hope it's not. I remember being sad that they shut down the one in Greenwood even though it was not a great place to go (the manager was so drat pushy and it was pretty cramped).

That's pretty amazing that having something shipped to the store doesn't count towards the store's numbers but using the computer in the store does.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Business Gorillas posted:

That's pretty amazing that having something shipped to the store doesn't count towards the store's numbers but using the computer in the store does.

:gamesworkshop:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Gift Vouchers only count at the store they're purchased at, not where they're redeemed.

What this meant around Christmas was loads of kids that had spent ages in the store coming in with the various vouchers they had gotten from relatives who had in turn purchased them from their closest GW rather than ours. It felt a bit disheartening that the work you were doing wasn't counting, even though the stock was going through your til.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Not a viking posted:

You know GW has other core systems than 40k right? Its an event for fantasy with the return of Nagash and a "huge change" for the system.

This is a thread where most of us bitch about and speculate on exactly when GW is going to collapse. Like a good deal of stuff in this thread, I was making a joke

Discontinued like our regional HQ :v:

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 15, 2014

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I wonder why GW discontinued the Regiments of Renown for Fantasy. Having them available means that you get to sell an extra army book plus expensive 'unique unit' models to all you competitive players, and players get to cover for shortcomings in their army lists.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
One of the legit problems with them was the ability to get a regiment of reknown that served the same role as a unit in your army except better, cheaper or both. There's no reason why that would mean discontinuing the idea entirely, though.

The real thing I wondered about way back then was why there was no Grudgebringer cavalry unit.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
So my local University RPG & Wargaming group (which is one of the biggest in the area) has stopped promoting GW games because they can't in good faith advise new players to get into 40k or WFB for the cost over Malifaux, Warmachine or Infinity.

The funny part is that this is the University of Nottingham, who play less than a mile from Warhammer World.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Are they actively telling people to avoid GW games and suggest other alternatives?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Not a viking posted:

Are they actively telling people to avoid GW games and suggest other alternatives?

They're telling GW gamers to forge their own narratives :haw:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MikeCrotch posted:

So my local University RPG & Wargaming group (which is one of the biggest in the area) has stopped promoting GW games because they can't in good faith advise new players to get into 40k or WFB for the cost over Malifaux, Warmachine or Infinity.

The funny part is that this is the University of Nottingham, who play less than a mile from Warhammer World.

Is this the same uni group who threw an absolute poo poo fit 2 months ago over being kicked out of Warhammer world because one of them wouldnt take his Mantic skeletons off the table?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

JerryLee posted:

:gamesworkshop:

I think the argument that a pure sales position would work without any knowledge of the game is overlooking the fact that anyone good enough wouldn't work for games workshop.

Like, if you were good at making sales, and cared diddly for the game, wouldn't you rather work at a car dealership making commission? Who are these non gaming salesmen chomping at the bit to work for poo poo wages and no commission

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Warhammer World has a GW-only requirement? That's pretty telling.

I'd like to see a forensic anthropologist's reconstruction of WTF Nagash looked like in life. Both the Fisher Price one and the one who's beard had a spine.

Are more $100+ single "centerpiece" models coming out lately? Am I imagining that?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

moths posted:

Warhammer World has a GW-only requirement? That's pretty telling.

What exactly is it telling? I genuinely can't see the problem with this sentence.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Their whole shtick that they are the start and the end of miniatures gaming doesn't hold up if other miniatures exist. We don't need to be comparative if there's no competition, get those non-miniatures out of here!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
brb going to the Apple store to insist they support my Samsung phone

If the role was reversed and Mantic or any other gaming company had an official storefront I'm fairly certain that they'd ask the same thing. Sure, there's some difference in styles between management (my local GW store doesn't really care if you use non-GW models sparingly), but literally walking into the heart of GW and insisting you use non-GW stuff is just looking for an argument.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

More like going to the Apple store and getting kicked out for having a Samsung.

When the roles are reversed, there's no issue. Mantic has an open miniatures policy, and invites other companies to their events.

GW occupies this weird space where they want to be a super premium brand, but that also desperately need to be the only brand. If you put a poorly painted FW mini next to a poorly painted Reaper Bones, there's no appreciable game experience difference, which (I think) is the Terrible Secret of Miniatures they're hoping to keep a lid on with this policy.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Mantic doesn't give a poo poo about what models you use at their events to the point where one of their official kings of war army lists is specifically designed to let you proxy historicals from any line you happen to own or want.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

moths posted:

When the roles are reversed, there's no issue. Mantic has an open miniatures policy, and invites other companies to their events.

GW occupies this weird space where they want to be a super premium brand, but that also desperately need to be the only brand. If you put a poorly painted FW mini next to a poorly painted Reaper Bones, there's no appreciable game experience difference, which (I think) is the Terrible Secret of Miniatures they're hoping to keep a lid on with this policy.

The other Secret is that a good chunk of GW's model look like poo poo since they're pushing 2 decades old, but GW can't be bothered to replace/update them because ????

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

moths posted:

You're not wrong, but I don't see a huge problem with them demanding GW only miniatures. It is the GW HQ and they do not want anything to do with any other mini manufacturer. What annoys me more is the line about not being allowed to use any GW bits. Great. So my £500+ Ork army can't be used at WHW because I've used Spellcrow heads. Fantastic.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

I think the argument that a pure sales position would work without any knowledge of the game is overlooking the fact that anyone good enough wouldn't work for games workshop.

Like, if you were good at making sales, and cared diddly for the game, wouldn't you rather work at a car dealership making commission? Who are these non gaming salesmen chomping at the bit to work for poo poo wages and no commission

Salesmen that aren't finding work anywhere else. It's not the first or last time that someone has to settle for a low-paying job in their field of experience* because the better-paying positions are already filled. It wouldn't be a matter of Bob the hot-shot salesman being keen to earn a lovely wage in a store he's unfamiliar with, it's probably one of the few places hiring. They probably also pay more than EB Games/Gamestop. Seriously, EB/Gamestop pay is terrible.

*referring to salesperson experience, not WFB/40k familiarity.

Daedleh posted:

You're not wrong, but I don't see a huge problem with them demanding GW only miniatures. It is the GW HQ and they do not want anything to do with any other mini manufacturer. What annoys me more is the line about not being allowed to use any GW bits. Great. So my £500+ Ork army can't be used at WHW because I've used Spellcrow heads. Fantastic.
God forbid if you're guilty of the heinous crime of using aftermarket belt feeds for your Grey Knights because you prefer their look (based on the previous metal sculpts) to the magazines on the new plastics.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

HiveCommander posted:

God forbid if you're guilty of the heinous crime of using aftermarket belt feeds for your Grey Knights because you prefer their look (based on the previous metal sculpts) to the magazines on the new plastics.

I'm pretty sure you just hypothetically sculpted that with greenstuff.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Is GW really anal about headswaps or whatever to that degree? I could have sworn that I saw something about swaps that represented a small portion of the model being okay even at GW.

In any case, not wanting you to bring in whole models from another line isn't absolutely pants-shittingly unreasonable, nor is it something that's unique to GW. I know PP, for example, has rules about how much of a model you can convert. But the Mantic approach is still the best. Mantic can maybe afford to do it because they're a smaller operation trying to subvert the big guys, but it isn't putting them out of business--maybe because it builds customer goodwill and creates the impression that they have confidence in their products to sell on their own merits???

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Their strategy is a long term one - get people playing the games straight away (free rulebooks everywhere), get them to buy a hardback rulebook, then for the next army they'll look at Mantic miniatures. Sorted.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Daedleh posted:

Their strategy is a long term one - get people playing the games straight away (free rulebooks everywhere), get them to buy a hardback rulebook, then for the next army they'll look at Mantic miniatures. Sorted.

Yeah, that's clearly their idea, but an important part of it is their faith (which I think is at least somewhat justified) that people will actually develop that sort of brand loyalty and appreciation of Mantic products that they will buy the physical rulebook, buy Mantic models in the future, etc., because this is an appealing prospect to them and not because they have a figurative gun held to their head telling them to do it if they want to (legitimately) play the game at all.

I'm not disagreeing with you, to be clear, just adding on.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

moths posted:

From what has happened to me, it was probably more like this.
- Go into Apple Store, demand support for your Samsung.
- Employee respectfully declines, telling you this is an Apple store.
- Throw a shitfit because you're a socially stunted warhammer player.
- Get kicked out of the store.

I brought non-GW models into my local GW once and the guy was like "It's cool this time but try to keep it to GW-only models next time". There's a lot of stuff to whine at GW about but them politely asking you to not use their direct competitors in their own store isn't too unreasonable.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
We here are Audi San Francisco only service Audis and allow people with Audis to park in our lots. Please come back with another car if you would like to use our car maintenance services. Thanks.

(fun fact- you can actually service non Audis at the audi dealership, unlike GW)

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
To be completely fair to GW, they're probably willing to look the other way on small bits except for the 'that guy' who goes around inspecting models and denouncing the heretics - I imagine it's an environment very hospitable to 'that guy's and very inhospitable to 'Um, Tony's scaring the parents by ranting at the kids'.

Of course, I'm just guessing. Maybe it really is company policy to never negotiate with terrists customers, but they can't be that dumb, right? :ohdear:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

petrol blue posted:

To be completely fair to GW, they're probably willing to look the other way on small bits except for the 'that guy' who goes around inspecting models and denouncing the heretics - I imagine it's an environment very hospitable to 'that guy's and very inhospitable to 'Um, Tony's scaring the parents by ranting at the kids'.

Of course, I'm just guessing. Maybe it really is company policy to never negotiate with terrists customers, but they can't be that dumb, right? :ohdear:

I've seen the guys at warhammer world ask someone where they got some heads from before. They dont give a monkeys if its the odd bit here or there and more than likely wouldnt notice unless you pointed it out to them.

Even rocking up with a vampire counts army where the only GW things are the characters and terrorgeist would probably get a chat about not bringing it again. You have to have serious problems to get kicked out of the gaming hall.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

If your universe/rules are appealing and competitively priced ones to play in, your miniatures are the most appealing and competitively priced to play them with, and you don't poo poo your pants when someone wants to do a head or shoulderpad swap because Kromlech or whoever makes ones that suit their army better (which I'm not saying every GW store, ever, has done), the problem will solve itself. Obviously, as I've said, a completely chillaxed approach like Mantic's is best for the consumer, but GW wouldn't even have to go that far in order to qualify as being menschen about it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!
Given that GW has shut down just about everything else to do with "official" gaming events, I'm honestly more surprised to hear they still let people play games at Warhammer World at this point than I am about them getting pissy about people using Mantic minis to play WHFB or whatever.

GW really should just drop the pretense that they are somehow a "games" company at this point, and just make sci-fi and fantasy minis for people to use in whatever system they want. You know, like they did originally back in the day. I mean, they are apparently regressing as a company in just about every other way, so why not go whole hog with it? :v:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
:10bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Yeah.

• Locked thread