Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

I have a gear question that can hopefully be answered in this thread. I'm interested in picking up wrestling and I'm looking for a decent pair of wrestling shoes. I'm wondering if I'm better off going with a snugger fit or going for maximum comfort right out of the box. I went for a snug fit on my taekwondo shoes per the suggestion of the person who sold them to me, but I'd like to hear some other opinions on the matter. Thanks!

they should be pretty tight and theyll stretch a little as you wear them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I want to follow UFC, learn stuff about fighters in general. Other than reading the UFC thread what is the best news source? A kind of vague question I know, but assume I won't get to watch most PPVs and still want to know what's happening day to day

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Valeyard posted:

I want to follow UFC, learn stuff about fighters in general. Other than reading the UFC thread what is the best news source? A kind of vague question I know, but assume I won't get to watch most PPVs and still want to know what's happening day to day

Twitter and Ariel Helwani's MMA hour show have basically everything covered. Ariel's show is online and he does intereviews and then talks about the big stories. Somebody compliled a big list of who to follow for news in an MMA twitter thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3613870

Really you only need to follow BJ Penn though if you want the basics. His account steals news from around the web and puts it up really quick.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Valeyard posted:

twitter p much

you follow a few journalists + @FrontRowBrian and you'll be on the cutting edge of news or w/e

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yuriy posted:

twitter p much

you follow a few journalists + @FrontRowBrian and you'll be on the cutting edge of news or w/e

If you follow Front Row Brian you'll also be on the cutting edge of random bullshit that isn't true, especially now that Chael is out of MMA. Anderson is back so maybe we'll get more borderline libelous stuff about him too!

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

If you follow Front Row Brian you'll also be on the cutting edge of random bullshit that isn't true, especially now that Chael is out of MMA.

youre right i should just quote meltzer a lot and pass of his thoughts and opinions as my own

FRB has been more accurate than not lately sry you're wrong or w/e

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Yuriy posted:

FRB has been more accurate than not lately

Nope.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yuriy posted:

youre right i should just quote meltzer a lot and pass of his thoughts and opinions as my own

Still waiting on the major fight that was added to the Vegas show last Monday. Still waiting for Anderson Silva to be fired or for proof of any of his BS about Anderson too.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

Twitter and Ariel Helwani's MMA hour show have basically everything covered. Ariel's show is online and he does intereviews and then talks about the big stories. Somebody compliled a big list of who to follow for news in an MMA twitter thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3613870

Really you only need to follow BJ Penn though if you want the basics. His account steals news from around the web and puts it up really quick.

Yuriy posted:

twitter p much

Thank you for these!

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Yuriy posted:

twitter p much

as this quote signifies, listen to every other thing Yuiry might say

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Don't listen to what Yuriy says he's unapologetically racist but doesn't think he is

not even the worst poster in this thread lol

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I understand we don't see more knees to the body from side control because it gives the guy on bottom space and opportunity to escape or scramble to a better position, but we don't we see more elbows during triangle attempts? Is it because it's just that harrowing to throw a short power strike so close to your balls?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Bluedeanie posted:

I understand we don't see more knees to the body from side control because it gives the guy on bottom space and opportunity to escape or scramble to a better position, but we don't we see more elbows during triangle attempts? Is it because it's just that harrowing to throw a short power strike so close to your balls?

1. They're concentrating on locking up the triangle.

2. I feel like I actually see people do this all the time

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Dangersim posted:

1. They're concentrating on locking up the triangle.

2. I feel like I actually see people do this all the time

3. It's cooler to flex and flip double birds than throw 'bows

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Really if you have a triangle properly locked up there is no point in throwing elbows, he's either tapping or going to sleep. Guys do throw elbows to loosen a guy up while trying to get it cinched in.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I'm not saying it never happens as obviously it does as do the occasional knee from side control, I was just curious why it didn't happen more. It seems more triangles in MMA don't feature strikes during the setup than those that do. Explanations make sense though!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

I'm not saying it never happens as obviously it does as do the occasional knee from side control, I was just curious why it didn't happen more. It seems more triangles in MMA don't feature strikes during the setup than those that do. Explanations make sense though!

There can be a thin line between a locked in triangle and the guy on top passing to side control so usually fighters are worried more about position than trying to strike. Anderson used them well against Lutter.

world b lee
Feb 1, 2006
Is it a frog? Is it a toad?
There was a fight recently I want to say on the Australia card where a dude with the last name Hooker had a nasty finish with elbow strikes from a triangle he couldn't quite finish due to the other guy having both hands in.

Yeah, it was Dan Hooker vs Ian Entwistle. It was pretty brutal.

Edit: Sorry. Misremembered it. He actually finished him with elbows from 50/50 guard lol

world b lee fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 16, 2014

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You'd be giving them a little bit of force backwards, might actually help them slide their head out.

Genki Sudo used to do them and I think Sotiropoulos used to do them back when he was winning fights.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Edit: whoops

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

world b lee posted:

There was a fight recently I want to say on the Australia card where a dude with the last name Hooker had a nasty finish with elbow strikes from a triangle he couldn't quite finish due to the other guy having both hands in.

Yeah, it was Dan Hooker vs Ian Entwistle. It was pretty brutal.

Edit: Sorry. Misremembered it. He actually finished him with elbows from 50/50 guard lol

how

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

iirc one guy was going for a stupid leglock and would not let got as the other guy hit him in the face over and over.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I was looking at Oleksiy Oliynik's record this morning and saw that he RNC'd Monson in Oplot. Was this one of those cases where someone gets stunned or knocked down, then subbed while their brain is still jangling, or did Oliynik really outgrapple Monson?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Grifter posted:

I was looking at Oleksiy Oliynik's record this morning and saw that he RNC'd Monson in Oplot. Was this one of those cases where someone gets stunned or knocked down, then subbed while their brain is still jangling, or did Oliynik really outgrapple Monson?

Oliynick dropped him like three times in the minute before RNCing him and then punched him in the brain like twenty times; the RNC was purely a formality

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Yuriy posted:

i swear you claim this every week and yet it gets only less and less true

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Yuiry why do you even defend posting his tweets, and really why would you pretend to care if it was accurate. You've followed his feed and reposted everything he ever said every day even when it was 100% wrong. It didnt stop you then and it wouldn't now.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

John Cena posted:

i swear you claim this every week and yet it gets only less and less true

its been like 20 days guy, let it go

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Yuriy posted:

its been like 20 days guy, let it go

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Putting this here because it's something I mention a fair amount -

fatherdog posted:

fatherdog posted:

A) Folkstyle wrestling is much more applicable to mma and submission grappling groundwork than freestyle and greco, which is why almost all the mma wrestlers known for their groundwork are americans who did folkstyle for years and years before getting into greco/freestyle

To expand on this (because it's something I often allude to without actually explaining, which is a bad habit) the reasons for this are twofold, both of which are based on the scoring systems -

1) in Freestyle/Greco, points for takedowns are scored escalatingly based on the amplitude and landing. So a takedown that barely gets your opponent down on all fours gets one point, and a bigger cleaner takedown gets 3, and a huge suplex gets 5. Whereas in folkstyle, all takedowns are two points, so a dirty double that just barely gets your opponent on the mat scores exactly the same as spinning your opponent on your finger and slamming him on the mat while you whistle "Sweet Georgia Brown". So Freestyle/Greco incentivizes lengthy handfighting to set up a big throw, whereas folkstyle incentivizes bulldogging your opponent to the mat by any means necessary. Since pure grappling handfighting and setups often aren't applicable in mma and for the most part nobody gives a poo poo how you get your opponent on the mat as long as you get him there and keep him there, the skills involved with folkstyle are much more directly applicable to mma.

2) Par terre rules - once you hit the mat in Freestyle/Greco, if the action "stalls" for more than like 20 seconds the referee restarts it on the feet. In folkstyle, on the other hand, you get points for riding time (keeping top control on your opponent for a certain length of time) and for escapes (getting out from under your opponent). So Freestyle/Greco incentivizes flattening out and stalling as soon as you get taken down, whereas Folkstyle incentivizes fighting as hard as possible to get back to your feet and escaping (and, conversely, maintaining control of your opponent after a takedown). The latter rather obviously develops much more useful skills for mma.

This is why just about 99% of the freestyle/greco wrestlers that have successfully adapted their wrestling to mma are guys with extensive folkstyle experience, the only notable exceptions being Sakuraba (who is an outlier in nearly every possible respect) and Miyata.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
You might want to edit that into one of the first posts because it'll get buried in random yuriy-bashing and people asking pro wrestling questions soonish.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Zwachro posted:

You might want to edit that into one of the first posts because it'll get buried in random yuriy-bashing and people asking pro wrestling questions soonish.

also weird posts about elbows

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Speaking of pro wrestling questions, I'm pretty familiar with Sakuraba, but did he have any background besides not realizing pro wrestling is fake?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

LvK posted:

Speaking of pro wrestling questions, I'm pretty familiar with Sakuraba, but did he have any background besides not realizing pro wrestling is fake?

Google it son

quote:

Sakuraba began his career in amateur wrestling at the age of 15. A high school stand-out, he finished as high as second in the nation before joining the wrestling squad of Chuo University, a team which had counted Olympic gold medalists Shozo Sasahara and Osamu Watanabe amongst its ranks. He won the East Japan Freshman championship in his first year and served as their team captain thereafter. In his senior year, he finished fourth place in the All-Japan tournament. Amongst his notable wins was a defeat of future Olympic bronze medalist Kat Ota.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Sakuraba is an All-Japan and a New Japan wrestler

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LvK posted:

Sakuraba was a once-in-a-lifetime genius, and about 90% of PRIDE booking was trying to reproduce him.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

LobsterMobster posted:

Sakuraba is an All-Japan and a New Japan wrestler

I know you're going for the AJPW/All-Japan joke, but I can't let his UWFi work go unnoticed here.

fatherdog posted:

Sakuraba was a once-in-a-lifetime genius, and about 90% of PRIDE booking was trying to reproduce him.

That and seeing if he could survive getting hit by trucks, apparently.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Here's an interesting interview where Chael Sonnen explains why he thinks Greco-Roman wrestling is a better base for MMA than international, olympic freestyle.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/9/4081332/technique-talk-chael-sonnen-mma-wrestling-interview-takedowns-ufc-news

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Phyzzle posted:

Here's an interesting interview where Chael Sonnen explains why he thinks Greco-Roman wrestling is a better base for MMA than international, olympic freestyle.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/9/4081332/technique-talk-chael-sonnen-mma-wrestling-interview-takedowns-ufc-news

This is timely:
"If Henry Cejudo was a stock, I would invest heavily in the stock."
--Chael Sonnen, March 2013

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Sonnen linked to shady investment plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Bundt Cake posted:

Sonnen linked to shady investment plan

hahaha. It's going to turn out that Cejudo was a pump-and-dump scam all along. Sonnen talking him up, getting Dana to sign him, then he shorted all his stock in Cejudo right before the close of business today. Get ready for Sonnen's second conviction.

Anyway in that interview Sonnen talks a little about why he thinks Greco is better for MMA, and he says maybe it's because the upright posture is better for striking. That might be part of it, but I would go more specific and say that the clinch is very important and guys with good Greco tend to be very strong there. People tend to get a lot of credit for their striking and for their wrestling or ground work, and the clinch doesn't get that attention because it's like an intermediate position. But a lot of fights are won and lost right there. You can look at Ronda, Randy, Jon Jones. You can even go all the way back to Jack Johnson, really. Standing hugs: very important.